5.0 out of 5 stars Julie Garwood is a genious
Published on Jan. 27 2003 by C. E. Jacobs

3.0 out of 5 stars The Claybourne Brothers
This book is three short stories in one. It is best to read "For the Roses" before you read these books, so that you understand the Claybourne family better.
Published on Aug. 26 2003 by Jennifer French

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The Claybourne Brothers, Aug. 26 2003
Jennifer French (Garland, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Clayborne Brides: One Pink Rose, One White Rose, One Red Rose (Mass Market Paperback)
"ONE PINK ROSE" is the story of Travis Claybourne. Travis is sent by Mama Rose to pick up Emily Finnegan, and deliver her to her groom, O'Toole. Emily is a headstrong girl, who Travis finds difficult to understand, yet intriguing to know more of. While I enjoyed this first book, I did not feel that I really got to know either Travis or Emily. Travis was the one brother in "For the Roses" that I never felt got as much attention as the others. I was hoping for a little more insight into his character, other than his liking of debate and "The Republic," which was already explored to some extent in "For the Roses." Overall, this book rates, in my opinion, a 3/5 stars.
"ONE WHITE ROSE" is the story of Douglas Claybourne, the quiet brother. Douglas bought an Arabian horse six months prior, and finally has time to go collect the animal. When he arrives at the home of Parker Grant, he finds Isabel Grant, his wife, giving birth. Soon, Douglas discovers that Parker Grant has died, and Isabel is being harassed by the town bully. The ultimate reason for the harassment of the bully is a surprise, and I won't give it away here. By far, Douglas' story was the best of these three. I felt that Isabel and Douglas got to know each other, and truly fell in love. It seems that Julie Garwood took an extra liking to Douglas, and focused more on his story. I give this book a 4/5 stars.
Finally, "ONE RED ROSE" the story of Adam Claybourne, the head of the Clayborne family. This story was a complete disappointment. I had expected more from this courageous leader, then a story not worth the effort to read. I knew and respected Adam more when I first met him in "For the Roses." I hope one day, Julie revisits this tale, and improves it greatly. Just skip reading this one. 0/5 stars.
If you are a fan of the Claybournes (as most Julie fans are) this series is a must have. Read tibits of Adams' story. Douglas' story is worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Julie Garwood is a genious, Jan. 27 2003
C. E. Jacobs "Donovan's Momma" (Vista, CA) - See all my reviews
Her books are awsome! She is one of the top romance writter in my book I have read 17 of Julie Garwood's novels and she astounds me every time I read a new one. I suggest if you want to read this book start with the book "For the Roses" then go onto read "One Pink Rose", "One white Rose", and "One Red Rose" and then read "Come the Spring" These books are all about the Claybourne family and how they strived to survive raising an abandoned baby that they found in New York and turning her into a lady. After their little Mary Rose is grown up and Married to a highland Lawyer named Harrison each brother is tempted by women into settling down will the brothers run or face the destiny that MAMA Rose tricks them into.

2.0 out of 5 stars Read Her Other Books, They're Better, Nov. 19 2002
By A Customer
Overall I love Julie Garwood's historical romances - I haven't read her contemporary ones yet... However this historical one just doesn't cut it. The collection of short stories, has thin character development and weak plots. The stories are simply too simplistic and you never develop a connection to the characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a huge fan, March 21 2002
By A Customer
Personally, I like Garwood's Highland novels the best. This American trilogy seemed weak and lacking in basic emotion. On red rose was the best out of the three, it's the only one where the hero has even a chance to love anything about the heroine but her appearance. Unrealistic though...do you expect me to believe that an African American was treated equally in the Wild West? Nice Utopia dream world Garwood has going there, something I'd be proud to have in the history books, but it's just not believable! The Clayborne guys are sweet though, and worth reading about if you have the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but not my favorite Garwood book..., Dec 5 2001
This is the second book in Julie Garwood's series about the Clayborne family, so the stories make more sense if they are read in order...For the Roses, The Clayborne Brides and Come the Spring.
This book tells the stories of the Clayborne brothers Douglas, Travis and Adam and their adventures they had when they met their mates. After reading For the Roses, you are left with the need to read more about this exciting family, but this doesn't seems to have the "magic" that Garwood's books usually have.
I am a big Julie Garwood fan, so I do recommend reading this book, especially if you enjoyed For the Roses, however, it was not my favorite book by this author...and, if this is the only book of Garwood's you read and you didn't like it, give her another chance and read another one of her awesome stories. I recommend Honor's Splendor, The Bride, Ransom or her newest novel, Mercy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looking for the last book?, Oct. 29 2001
By A Customer
These three books were ok, however they weren't as exiting as Garwood's other novels. The stories were fast and there really wasn't that much passion for the charaters. I guess Garwood didn't have the space to write her usaual passion that she devotes to all her novals. I do have one question, isn't there one more brother who didn't get his book?

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with "One Red Rose", June 19 2001
KCook (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Like other reviewers, I adore the Clayborne family and so I was looking forward to reading about Douglas, Travis, and Adam. I liked the first two stories, and I gave the book 3 stars because of that. However, Adam's story was the worst. In "For the Roses," one could see that Adam's past as a runaway slave had an impact on his persona as well as current events in his life(i.e., his hesitation to leave the ranch). In "The Clayborne Brides", there is little mention of this...with only a passing reference to the Gettysburg Adress. I also expected a little more realism in Adam and Genevive's story; there is no mention or hint of any prejudice or bias two African-Americans would have dealt with in that time. Not that those things take precedence in a romantic story but to ignore it is an insult to both characters. Read the "One Pink Rose" and "One White Rose" but don't bother with "One Red Rose."

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome read!!, May 23 2001
By A Customer
I've only just started reading romance novels, and this one is definitley the best! I could not put it down, I carried it everywhere with me! Miss Garwood is an excellent author. Anyone who is even only thinking about reading it, well, take my advice and just do it.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay, May 23 2001
Clayborne Brides I Loved the book for the Roses bu this one was dissapointing the first story in the book is good and the second one was okay but by the third story you could tell that all the stories were almost exactly the same so it was hard to finish reading the One Red Rose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the airplane!, Dec 21 2000
I got these for an airplane trip, and it was just the thing to help me through! They're very fast reading, and so funny that I kept turning the pages just to get to the jokes. I really like them, and I would definitely read them any time you need a book, but not a really heavy one. Really perfect for trips.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Clayborne Brides: One Pink Rose, One White Rose, One Red Rose
The Clayborne Brides: One Pink Rose, One White Rose, One Red Rose by Julie Garwood (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 1 1998)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89