5.0 out of 5 stars Love those Claybornes!
I should have rated all 3 of these books seperately. One Pink Rose I would have only given 4 stars but One White Rose and One Red Rose would both get 5 stars!
Published on Feb. 10 2000 by Bonnie M. Wells

3.0 out of 5 stars The Claybourne Brothers
This book is three short stories in one. It is best to read "For the Roses" before you read these books, so that you understand the Claybourne family better.
Published on Aug. 26 2003 by Jennifer French

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The Claybourne Brothers, Aug. 26 2003
Jennifer French (Garland, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Clayborne Brides: One Pink Rose, One White Rose, One Red Rose (Mass Market Paperback)
"ONE PINK ROSE" is the story of Travis Claybourne. Travis is sent by Mama Rose to pick up Emily Finnegan, and deliver her to her groom, O'Toole. Emily is a headstrong girl, who Travis finds difficult to understand, yet intriguing to know more of. While I enjoyed this first book, I did not feel that I really got to know either Travis or Emily. Travis was the one brother in "For the Roses" that I never felt got as much attention as the others. I was hoping for a little more insight into his character, other than his liking of debate and "The Republic," which was already explored to some extent in "For the Roses." Overall, this book rates, in my opinion, a 3/5 stars.
"ONE WHITE ROSE" is the story of Douglas Claybourne, the quiet brother. Douglas bought an Arabian horse six months prior, and finally has time to go collect the animal. When he arrives at the home of Parker Grant, he finds Isabel Grant, his wife, giving birth. Soon, Douglas discovers that Parker Grant has died, and Isabel is being harassed by the town bully. The ultimate reason for the harassment of the bully is a surprise, and I won't give it away here. By far, Douglas' story was the best of these three. I felt that Isabel and Douglas got to know each other, and truly fell in love. It seems that Julie Garwood took an extra liking to Douglas, and focused more on his story. I give this book a 4/5 stars.
Finally, "ONE RED ROSE" the story of Adam Claybourne, the head of the Clayborne family. This story was a complete disappointment. I had expected more from this courageous leader, then a story not worth the effort to read. I knew and respected Adam more when I first met him in "For the Roses." I hope one day, Julie revisits this tale, and improves it greatly. Just skip reading this one. 0/5 stars.
If you are a fan of the Claybournes (as most Julie fans are) this series is a must have. Read tibits of Adams' story. Douglas' story is worth the effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a good book!, Oct. 12 2000
Abbys (Moreno Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I rated all 3 books a 4 stars. It contains several exciting twist & few amusing scenes. All three love stories are romantically well writtened. I didn't think it was rushed... Although, the romance wasn't as detailed as I expected it to be, it's still well balanced and well designed.
The only missing part in this 3 books are the rest of the CLAYBORNE family. There was only very few scenes mentioned of them. I was expecting at least a bit more on MAMA ROSE. She was one of the important characters in the book, FOR THE ROSES (the beginning of this series). When this first book ended, I read that she's finally coming home, I thought to read more about her in this second series. I was somewhat disappointed that she was only mentioned passingly. There was no conversation with her children nor any updates of how the reunion went about. I would imagine the initial reunion (after 20 years) would be a heart warming read. Nevertheless, The Claynorne Brides are worth the buy and your time. A relaxing read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love those Claybornes!, Feb. 10 2000
I have read all of Julie's books and I don't think these seemed rushed at all, although some people seem to believe they were. I would have enjoyed if they were longer but all the same i enjoyed them. Travis's story 'One Pink Rose' was good but he was never really my favorite brother. Although I did love how Emily brought out the softer side of him. It also expaned on his charcter more than we were able to see in For the Roses. Now Douglas's story "One White Rose' is absolutely one of my favorite Garwood books. The humor in this book is tremendous, i can't even tell you how many times i had to stop reading because i was laughing so hard! The story line was completely different from Travis's story which was a relief. I feared all 3 stories would be too similiar. Ms. Garwood didn't disappoint me. I have read One White Rose several times and the ending is the absolute best! I won't elaborate in fear of giving anything away. :) Adam's story 'One Red Rose' was again refreshingly different from Travis and Douglas' stories. He was always so disciplined, it was nice to see a lady make him lose his control for once. Genevieve was so well written. She was a perfect match for Adam, just ask Mama Rose...she'll tell you just that! :) This story started back at the ranch and the whole family was there, and i truly enjoyed Garwood's thoughtfulness of letting us revisit with all the members of the Clayborne clan. They were lighter reads than her usual, but ravished with Garwood's fascinatingly, unique style all the same. Great reads and I definitely recommend them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with "One Red Rose", June 19 2001
KCook (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Like other reviewers, I adore the Clayborne family and so I was looking forward to reading about Douglas, Travis, and Adam. I liked the first two stories, and I gave the book 3 stars because of that. However, Adam's story was the worst. In "For the Roses," one could see that Adam's past as a runaway slave had an impact on his persona as well as current events in his life(i.e., his hesitation to leave the ranch). In "The Clayborne Brides", there is little mention of this...with only a passing reference to the Gettysburg Adress. I also expected a little more realism in Adam and Genevive's story; there is no mention or hint of any prejudice or bias two African-Americans would have dealt with in that time. Not that those things take precedence in a romantic story but to ignore it is an insult to both characters. Read the "One Pink Rose" and "One White Rose" but don't bother with "One Red Rose."

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but not my favorite Garwood book..., Dec 5 2001
This is the second book in Julie Garwood's series about the Clayborne family, so the stories make more sense if they are read in order...For the Roses, The Clayborne Brides and Come the Spring.
This book tells the stories of the Clayborne brothers Douglas, Travis and Adam and their adventures they had when they met their mates. After reading For the Roses, you are left with the need to read more about this exciting family, but this doesn't seems to have the "magic" that Garwood's books usually have.
I am a big Julie Garwood fan, so I do recommend reading this book, especially if you enjoyed For the Roses, however, it was not my favorite book by this author...and, if this is the only book of Garwood's you read and you didn't like it, give her another chance and read another one of her awesome stories. I recommend Honor's Splendor, The Bride, Ransom or her newest novel, Mercy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Following For "For The Roses", April 28 2000
As soon as I read For The Roses, I wanted to read these novellas. They were masterpeices in their own ways, and I loved them all. Travis and Emily's story was simple but sweet. It seemed Ms. Garwood was just getting her juices flowing with this one. In Douglass and Isabell's story, she seems to pick up speed. The characters become more developed and they plot more intense. Adam and Geneveive's story top it off. They are what save the novellas from becoming washed up. The characters are, again, more developed and three dimensional. The story is also more intruiging. But, they are all extremely well written, and I think much more praise then they have gotten. As usual, the romances are unique and touching. Ms. Garwood makes a genuine attempt to help you get to know the brothers better. In short, if you've read For The Roses, these novellas are for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too little, too fast, Aug. 22 2000
Three of the Clayborne brothers' unusual courtships are described in this book. The storylines include a woman being escorted to meet her mail-order husband, a pregnant widow in need of protection, and a gospel singer on the run after a thief tries to steal the church money.
I can't believe these books were once published on their own. All of the plots were rushed and thinly developed. The characters were barely distinguishable from each other. There was scarcely any romantic interaction between couples, much less passion. The only decent book of the three was One White Rose, which told of the woman who is in labor when her Clayborne man arrives. At least that one is funny. Garwood's signature humor is not present in the other two books, and I didn't feel I had read anything substantial after I completed this trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Julie Garwood is a genious, Jan. 26 2003
C. E. Jacobs "Donovan's Momma" (Vista, CA) - See all my reviews
Her books are awsome! She is one of the top romance writter in my book I have read 17 of Julie Garwood's novels and she astounds me every time I read a new one. I suggest if you want to read this book start with the book "For the Roses" then go onto read "One Pink Rose", "One white Rose", and "One Red Rose" and then read "Come the Spring" These books are all about the Claybourne family and how they strived to survive raising an abandoned baby that they found in New York and turning her into a lady. After their little Mary Rose is grown up and Married to a highland Lawyer named Harrison each brother is tempted by women into settling down will the brothers run or face the destiny that MAMA Rose tricks them into.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a huge fan, March 21 2002
By A Customer
Personally, I like Garwood's Highland novels the best. This American trilogy seemed weak and lacking in basic emotion. On red rose was the best out of the three, it's the only one where the hero has even a chance to love anything about the heroine but her appearance. Unrealistic though...do you expect me to believe that an African American was treated equally in the Wild West? Nice Utopia dream world Garwood has going there, something I'd be proud to have in the history books, but it's just not believable! The Clayborne guys are sweet though, and worth reading about if you have the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series!, Dec 28 1998
By A Customer
"One Pink Rose" was the first Julie Garwood book I read, and I enjoyed it very much. At first I was lost a little, but in the end, it was a great and understandable book. I would have to say that this is my favorite book out of the three. "One White Rose" was okay. I didn't like the plot as much as the first book, but overrall, I liked it. For "One Red Rose", I would have to say that it was like "One White Rose", but like I said, overrall, I liked it. "Come the Spring" was what made the series so great.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Clayborne Brides: One Pink Rose, One White Rose, One Red Rose
The Clayborne Brides: One Pink Rose, One White Rose, One Red Rose by Julie Garwood (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 1 1998)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92