5.0 out of 5 stars What a connection
Ok, let me just start out by saying that I usually give myself about 3 to 4 days to finish off a romance novel. It took me just about 2 days to finish Remembrance. For me, I utterly and completely loathed the idea of having to put this book down to eat, do chores lol, and to sleep.
Published on July 5 2004 by Sara

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Jude's writing usually, but...
this one was so aggravating to me. I really love books on reincarnation. I had read Knight in Shining Armour (my favorite Deveraux by far), and I understood from the description of this one, that it was sort of a new spin on the same theme. Well nope.
Published on April 25 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars What a connection, July 5 2004
Sara (Southern Cali) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
Alot of romance novels that I have read are very predictable and to the point. I loved that with this book, that it kept me guessing and that I truly felt a sincere deepness intertwined within the story. If you are one who is interested in past lives and soulmates and like to see how other people think it works, this is a great read. If you like smart romance stories where the characters aren't thinking about just sex then this is also for you. Overall, this is a book that captured my mind and heart and I know that I will revisit it over and over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one., June 8 2004
char1077 (Petoskey, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
I read three of Jude Deveraux novels in a row when I first got interested in reading romance. The first was Knight in Shining Armor and this was the next. This book is not as good as Knight but it is better than some of her others (i.e. Temptation...). I very much enjoyed the ranting at the beginning defending romance novelists and their readers. I also enjoyed the ACTUAL STORY in this book. Many romance novels do not have any substance whatsoever and are painfully predictable. The plot here is intricate and interesting. You actually have to put effort into reading this one and I like that. This isn't a good place to start if you're trying to get some light reading or get into romance but an overall fun little read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fairy tale!, Jan. 22 2001
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
"Kelly" did such a great job in her review that I really don't have too much to add. This book is a rule breaker for me because - #1) I don't usually like time travel novels and #2) I HATE stories that are sad & weepy. "Remembrance" is both. But, I have to say that I love this book.
Hayden is a romance writer who wonders if she will ever find true love. She then goes on a quest to discover exactly what has happened in her past lives to prevent her from finding love in this one. The part of this book that really got my attention and my emotions involved; was the story of Talis and Callesandra. Their tragic story is the primary focus of this book, and I have to say that I HATED the end of their story. I know that their love story continues on through the other characters in the book, but I wanted THEM (I am whining here) to be together! I read romance novels to sigh, smile, and to step out of reality for just a few minutes to experience romantic relationships without all sweat and effort. I do not want to weep and mourn in my escape reading, however, as I said, this novel was the exception to the rule.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Jude's writing usually, but..., April 25 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
Don't get me wrong, I really loved how the mc got back to a previous life, and how she, in the previous life, went back to another previous life. But after that I skipped pages. I really did not want to know all about the childhood.
That middle part could have been compacted into two chapters, imho. That is where this book sells short for me. It is a pity though, because the ending did bring tears to my eyes. So that is why I give this book three stars in stead of two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinite love..., Jan. 26 2004
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
The best Romance novel I have ever read. It is as if all the love that exists in this world has been given a solid form in this book. The Characters will have you in tears and make you dream of a love like theirs...

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed and cried!, Jan. 15 2004
"ajponder1" (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
Wow! This book is, hands down, my absolute favorite of Deveraux's. She is by far my favorite romance author, and I have read, and own, all of her books. If you are looking to get lost in a story that will truly make you feel, then this is it.
The story of Callie and Talis is absolutely gut-wrenching! I just love when Jude does that! The book starts out one way, and you think you know exactly how it's gonna be, then she completely surprises you!
Read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books, Dec 11 2003
Shauna (New York City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book a while ago, but i can tell you that the story is still fresh in my mind, that's how good it is. Jude deveroux made magic when she wrote this book. The plot is so rich and creative. I cannot write anything that hasn't been writen before. This is the first book that made me cry. I love her idea of soulmates. I've read a few other Deveroux books and she ties in this idea of soulmates into many of them.
If i had to say anything negative about this book is that the ending was kind of weak. It could be i felt this way because the content of the rest of the book is so involving and the end just is not as developed as the rest of the book.
All in all this book is excellent. There's a great love story here. Makes you wonder if you do have a soulmate, who he is and if u'll meet him in this lifetime.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favorites of Deveraux, Dec 2 2003
Alana Olson (Mount Pleasant, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
This book just get's better and better. It truly grasps everything a woman is looking for when finding her soulmate. You can't help but dream or wish you were as lucky as Callie and Talis; but this story will make you cry (not that that is a bad thing, who doesn't love a good story to cry over?). This is definitely a keeper for any woman who is looking for a beautifully written love story to read, just make sure you have plenty of time on the side to read as much as you can- you're not going to want to put this one down, I guarantee it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed Further Development, Nov. 12 2003
L. Osterman (Warwick, RI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
I really liked the idea of the past life regressions in a love story, but of the 3 different lives explored in the book, only one is really told in depth. This idea could have been developed further and you are cut off short by the abrupt ending. Very clever ideas, but the chain of events will catch you off guard. Just when you think you are about to read a historical romance about Edwardian England, you find out you're not. Clever but not her best.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh., July 14 2003
Steph (Ferndale, MI, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
I have a confession...I love romance books! As much as I like to display the intellectual, logical, critical exterior of a woman who enjoys nothing but thought-provoking movies and symbollism-filled novels, in my heart I melt for rugged warriors falling madly in love with beautiful, courageous heroines. It's my Achilles Heel...:)
I'm more a fan of historical romances than contemporary, simply because I'm a student of history and I like to nick-pick at the anachronisms a lot of authors tend to overlook. But I read some reviews on Deveraux, she seemed to be a well-liked author, and I decided to try her time-travel books.
I wish I hadn't.
In Deveraux's time-travel novel, we witness a romance author, Hayden, unsatisfied with her love life consult a psychic to discover why she can't seem to settle down. Apparently, the pyschic tells her that she has been "cursed" to never love anyone but one person in her life, and that leads to Hayden going under hypnosis to discover just where things went wrong. She starts out in the body of Catherine, Lady De Grey in the early 20th century, who is on the brink of divorce with her husband, but then Hayden/Catherine goes under hynosis AGAIN and this time we're taken back to watch the development of two children, Callie and Talis, who seem to be the reason for Hayden's cursed love life.
As much as I attempt to subdue my pessimstic side and find a good thing about this book, I just can't. Wait, no, I DID like how the narrarator, Hayden, talked about the qualms of being an author of romance. Nice tongue-in-cheek effort by Deveraux. However, everything else was really unpleasent, and a pain to read. Hayden annoyed me to no extent. The story-within-a-story-within-a-story plot format left me confused and unsatisfied. This book is like three separate plots, the only thing holding them together is the very very thin thread of the narrator somehow being a re-incarnation of two past women, one from the early 20th century, the other from the era right before the Renaissance (late 15th century). But even that connection was on the brink of being frayed. It simply jumped around too much - one moment we're reading about Hayden's whining about lost love and her obsession with a character in her books, the next we're watching Hayden inhibit the body of Catherine, Lady de Grey, and then we're thrown into a huge section of the book regarding the romance and everlasting bond of two children, Callie and Talis, then thrown back to the early 20th Century with Catherine, then back to the present. We're ripped apart from characters and before we even get a chance to know them. There was no central "hero" with whom I could fall in love with...I certainly didn't find out enough about Catherine's husband, Adam, and Talis was mostly a child when we read about him.
I simply found myself more and more disgusted at the disjointed plot, the shallowness and unbelievable-ness of all the undeveloped characters, the simplistic, unimaginative dialouge, and the short, stupid ending.
Please try harder, Ms. Deveraux. I was sorely dissappointed.

Remembrance
Remembrance by Jude Deveraux (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01