5.0 out of 5 stars The best romance you'll ever read
Anyone who has ever wondered what it would be like to know for sure that there is someone else in the world completely meant for them can appreciate Jude Deveraux's _Remembrance_.
Published on Nov. 12 2002 by Cotton 81

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh.
I have a confession...I love romance books! As much as I like to display the intellectual, logical, critical exterior of a woman who enjoys nothing but thought-provoking movies and symbollism-filled novels, in my heart I melt for rugged warriors falling madly in love with beautiful, courageous heroines. It's my Achilles Heel...:)
I'm more a fan of historical...
Published on July 14 2003 by Steph

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh., July 14 2003
Steph (Ferndale, MI, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm more a fan of historical romances than contemporary, simply because I'm a student of history and I like to nick-pick at the anachronisms a lot of authors tend to overlook. But I read some reviews on Deveraux, she seemed to be a well-liked author, and I decided to try her time-travel books.
I wish I hadn't.
In Deveraux's time-travel novel, we witness a romance author, Hayden, unsatisfied with her love life consult a psychic to discover why she can't seem to settle down. Apparently, the pyschic tells her that she has been "cursed" to never love anyone but one person in her life, and that leads to Hayden going under hypnosis to discover just where things went wrong. She starts out in the body of Catherine, Lady De Grey in the early 20th century, who is on the brink of divorce with her husband, but then Hayden/Catherine goes under hynosis AGAIN and this time we're taken back to watch the development of two children, Callie and Talis, who seem to be the reason for Hayden's cursed love life.
As much as I attempt to subdue my pessimstic side and find a good thing about this book, I just can't. Wait, no, I DID like how the narrarator, Hayden, talked about the qualms of being an author of romance. Nice tongue-in-cheek effort by Deveraux. However, everything else was really unpleasent, and a pain to read. Hayden annoyed me to no extent. The story-within-a-story-within-a-story plot format left me confused and unsatisfied. This book is like three separate plots, the only thing holding them together is the very very thin thread of the narrator somehow being a re-incarnation of two past women, one from the early 20th century, the other from the era right before the Renaissance (late 15th century). But even that connection was on the brink of being frayed. It simply jumped around too much - one moment we're reading about Hayden's whining about lost love and her obsession with a character in her books, the next we're watching Hayden inhibit the body of Catherine, Lady de Grey, and then we're thrown into a huge section of the book regarding the romance and everlasting bond of two children, Callie and Talis, then thrown back to the early 20th Century with Catherine, then back to the present. We're ripped apart from characters and before we even get a chance to know them. There was no central "hero" with whom I could fall in love with...I certainly didn't find out enough about Catherine's husband, Adam, and Talis was mostly a child when we read about him.
I simply found myself more and more disgusted at the disjointed plot, the shallowness and unbelievable-ness of all the undeveloped characters, the simplistic, unimaginative dialouge, and the short, stupid ending.
Please try harder, Ms. Deveraux. I was sorely dissappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best romance you'll ever read, Nov. 12 2002
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
_Remembrance_ is the story of romance writer Hayden Lane's quest to find her soul mate. In her present life, she is unable to wholly love another man because there is this void and ache for someone else and something more. Her fiancé breaks off their engagement when she becomes obsessed with one of her characters. She doesn't understand her obsession but doesn't want to be rid of it either, so she goes to a psychic to get help. Nora, the psychic, tells her the reason she's obsessed with this make-believe man is because she and her soul mate cursed each other in a past life.
Although this novel is classified as a romance, it could be a science fiction and adventure novel as well. Hayden travels back in time, by way of a hypnotist's spell, to become her former self, Lady de Grey. As Lady de Gray, she travels back again in time to her first life. It is there that she and we, the reader, discover the truth behind Lane's inability to love. The beautiful love that transpires between her first self and true love, Callasandra and Talis, is the primary focus of the novel. It is what made me read the book three times and cry for hours every time I reached the end.
What really caught my attention about this novel is the way the story is written not just from the female perspective. The focus of the story is on the TWO characters: Callie and Talis, not just the heroine and the man she's pursuing, which is typical of modern romances. It seems to me that they pursue each other together. Also, it seems the reader learns everything about Hayden's past lives as she learns about them. It is an experience that reader and writer live through together, which makes the novel all the more touching.
I gave _Remembrance_ five stars because it gives me hope in believing that somewhere, somehow, whether we know it or understand it, there is someone for all of us. I like believing in the impossible; this book more than embraces the impossible, it winks at the unthinkable and then follows it.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING 5 Star Read, Nov. 10 2002
allie-kat (N.B., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
Remembrance.. ahhh. What a truly beautiful story of a love that spans centuries. Jude Deveraux has outdone herself with this book. I finished it within one day. I just could not seem to put it down.
Remembrance pulled from me such raw emotion that when I finished it I just sat there in stunned silence with tears streaming down my face. Joy, jealousy, rage, sadness, hopelessness, love, hate... it was all there and more. Within the first quarter of this book I had already been in tears at least twice and I know I must have sighed with longing for Hayden's soulmate right along with her at every page.
The plot has been outlined several times so I won't go into detail on that... just make a few points on why this book is a must read. First, some have commented on the fact that Part one of this book with Hayden narrating was very boring. I found it witty and humourous. It was needed to give us an insight as to who Hayden is and has been since her soul's birth. We needed to know her love for Jamie and be drawn into needing to know why she felt it so strongly.
I really enjoyed the first time travel back to Edwardian times. I wanted to know more about Tavey and more about Catherine and why there was such hatred/love between them. I was a little disppointed to be torn away from their story so quickly, but Part two drew me in immediately and kept me captivated. I must admit that at first I was hoping Catherine and Tavey's story would be continued sooner than it was... but the story of Callie and Talis was beautiful and soon I was completely drawn in. I felt pure rage for those who tried to hurt them and keep them apart. When I read the end of their story, I used half a box of kleenex.. and had to wait a moment for it to completely sink in before I could continue on.
Next came Catherine and Tavey again. With my newfound knowledge of their past and their amazing love, I couldn't wait to see what Hayden would do to cure their problem. So this was one of my favourite parts of the book. I smiled and sighed the whole way through Part three.
Lastly came Hayden and the book was wrapped up beautifully. Very neatly actually. Some have commented that it ended to neatly, but truthfully I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. All in all, this book was amazing and I know it is going to stay in my mind for years to come. When a book draws that much emotion from the reader, I am in awe of the author. What a sign of brilliant writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic in Deveraux's Words, Nov. 4 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all of Jude Deveraux's romance novels, at times I have found them lacking in 'new' ideas. However, Rememberance is one of those special books that captures your mind and your heart. I find myself comparing all other romance novels to this book, not many have lived up to this awe-inspiring tale.
Rememberance is a story of past-lives and two souls that were meant for each other. However, over many life-times the souls of Cally and Talis loose each other. A curse is made in the past that prevents thier love in their future lives . Hayden, the modern soul of Cally is brought back into two different life-times. She is brought back into the moment of birth in a century long forgotten by history-- it is here that the tale begins.
The bond that is forged at birth between Cally and Talis is beyond that of the living world. Jude Deveraux spins a magical but believable fairy-tale that will leave tears in your eyes.
I have read this book, cover to cover twice. Each time, the power of her story envoked within me feelings of joy and sadness.
It is a bittersweet story for the hopeless romantic in everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Romantic and Heartwrenching...Romeo and Juliet?, Oct. 10 2002
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
This is probably my favorite Jude Deveraux masterpiece so far. Filled with real and true romance and some of the most touching scenes I've ever read in a book, this one is a sure keeper.
A tale about past lives, true love and lies, jealousy and the determination to keep soulmates apart forever. Tragedy and everlasting love make this one a classic masterpiece to read over and over. A little remenicent of Shakespear's 'Romeo and Juliet'.
Bestselling romance author Hayden Lane is completely and utterly obessed with her new hero and she doesn't know why. She is so obessed that she barely notices when her fiance walks out and her friends stop calling.
Determined to find out why she is so obsessed, she goes to a psychic(she is convinced this guy has to be real in some way) who informs her that she has a past life that originates in Edwardian England. She was also a woman named Lady de Grey. The psychic isn't sure which timeline is which since her soul seems to be so dramatic and lost.
Fascinated, Hayden begins researching Lady de Grey extensively, what she leanrs shocks her...apparently she was very, very promiscuous and mysteriously disappeared one night and her ghost is said to haunt her husband's home.
The psychic warns her to investigate no more. But Hayden being curious, does just that and more. She goes to a hypnotist at a friend's dinner party, but the trick goes horribly wrong, instead of remembering her past lives or seeing Lady de Grey, she actually becomes her past body as Lady de Grey!
More turmoil abounds and Hayden is tossed back farther to the beginning of her 'soul's birth', Edwardian times...during King Edward's reign, 1200's.
What she finds is so far from what she's read about Lady de Grey and alot of history in fact that she is determined to change it. But can she? Is the past predetermined? Is the man she finds merely brooding because he is as cruel as he seems to be or has something or someone caused it? Is this her hero from her book?
True love cannot be detroyed, only twisted into something resembling hate. Hayden must open her heart to a love so great it will bring tears to your eyes...
Tracy Talley~@

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a believer, March 15 2002
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
To begin with I think you should know that until this book I did not read or like romance novels, in fact I was once a part of the group who ridiculed both the writers and readers of these books. When my friend first reccomended this book to me I laughed in her face. Then I read the first page and didn't put the book down until it was finished. This is my favorite book of all time, after finishing it I went on to read every other book written by Ms. Deveraux, and while they are all good some even exceptional, I must say that this is the best of them all. A young woman falls in love with some one from a pastlife that she made up in her head, then she travels back in time to meet him, and it just gets better from there. I have never read a book that compares to this, and I can tell you I have read quite a few! If you like to read, if you like to laugh,then you will like this book, the author has a wonderful sense of humor and it comes through in her writting quite well. So, to finish up I just want to say Thank you Ms. Deveraux, you made a believer out of me!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, Feb. 15 2002
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
I have never felt so emotionally drained after reading a book before. My heart was ripped to shreds reading this book. This is, without a doubt, one of the best written books I have ever read. Hayden sets out to change the past so that she can find love in her lifetime. What a journey! She goes back to where it all starts, to Cassie and Talis and the blessing, or curse, that starts it all. Born at the same time right next to each other, a birthing mother on her death bed chants "two halves of one whole" about the two. From that time on, hidden, protected, and raised together by a loving couple with no children of their own, they comfort each other and feel each others tears, play together, and love each other. Until they discover who their parents are. From that time on, people do nothing but try to destroy their lives and love, no matter how hard they try to hold on. In anger and hate (the other side of love), they curse each other to only love each other, but not to be able to have each other. This carries on through lifetimes full of frustration, and Hayden has to find a way to reverse the curse so love can lead to happiness in her lifetime. This is a story I will read over and over and over again, and will never forget. Amazing. I believe in soulmates now.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, Feb. 15 2002
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
I have never felt so emotionally drained after reading a book before. My heart was ripped to shreds reading this book. This is, without a doubt, one of the best books I have ever read. Hayden sets out to change the past so that she can find love in her lifetime. What a journey! She goes back to where it all starts, to Cassie and Talis and the blessing, or curse, that starts it all. Born at the same time right next to each other, a birthing mother on her death bed chants "two halves of one whole" about the two. From that time on, raised togther by a loving couple with no children of their own, they comfort each other and feel each others tears, play together, and love each other. Until they discover who their parents are. From that time on, people do nothing but try to destroy their lives and love, no matter how hard they try to hold on. In anger and hate (the other side of love), they curse each other to only love each other, but not to be able to have each other. This carries on through lifetimes full of frustration, and Hayden has to find a way to reverse the curse so love can lead to happiness in her lifetime. This is a story I will read over and over and over again, and will never forget. Amazing. I believe in soulmates now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fairy tale!, Jan. 22 2001
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
"Kelly" did such a great job in her review that I really don't have too much to add. This book is a rule breaker for me because - #1) I don't usually like time travel novels and #2) I HATE stories that are sad & weepy. "Remembrance" is both. But, I have to say that I love this book.
Hayden is a romance writer who wonders if she will ever find true love. She then goes on a quest to discover exactly what has happened in her past lives to prevent her from finding love in this one. The part of this book that really got my attention and my emotions involved; was the story of Talis and Callesandra. Their tragic story is the primary focus of this book, and I have to say that I HATED the end of their story. I know that their love story continues on through the other characters in the book, but I wanted THEM (I am whining here) to be together! I read romance novels to sigh, smile, and to step out of reality for just a few minutes to experience romantic relationships without all sweat and effort. I do not want to weep and mourn in my escape reading, however, as I said, this novel was the exception to the rule.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Moving, Jan. 20 2001
Kat K. Munro (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remembrance (Mass Market Paperback)
This book explores the possibility of past lives and soulmates. It does so by exploring two of the past lives of Hayden Lane, a successful yet lonely romance writer. Her personality is charming. The irony when she talks about romance writers, readers, and critics is enough to make you laugh out loud. Ms. Deveraux used this character to get her punches in!
When Hayden Lane is hypnotized, she goes back in time and inhabits the bodies of two of her past selves. The actions of these two women, the circumstances of their failed love is why she is so unhappy in her present day self. Can changing the past change her luck in the future?
A beautiful and moving tearjerker of a novel explores that possibility.
The novel is wonderfully written. The soulmate principle is written with care, and the characters are thoroughly explored. However, don't be surprised. A majority of the novel is spent with the main character as a young girl growing up in Elizabethan England. This book centers on romantic notions, not much romance.

Remembrance
Remembrance by Jude Deveraux (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01