Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Fall Tools

Remembrance
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 53 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on November 12, 2002
Anyone who has ever wondered what it would be like to know for sure that there is someone else in the world completely meant for them can appreciate Jude Deveraux's _Remembrance_.
_Remembrance_ is the story of romance writer Hayden Lane's quest to find her soul mate. In her present life, she is unable to wholly love another man because there is this void and ache for someone else and something more. Her fiancé breaks off their engagement when she becomes obsessed with one of her characters. She doesn't understand her obsession but doesn't want to be rid of it either, so she goes to a psychic to get help. Nora, the psychic, tells her the reason she's obsessed with this make-believe man is because she and her soul mate cursed each other in a past life.
Although this novel is classified as a romance, it could be a science fiction and adventure novel as well. Hayden travels back in time, by way of a hypnotist's spell, to become her former self, Lady de Grey. As Lady de Gray, she travels back again in time to her first life. It is there that she and we, the reader, discover the truth behind Lane's inability to love. The beautiful love that transpires between her first self and true love, Callasandra and Talis, is the primary focus of the novel. It is what made me read the book three times and cry for hours every time I reached the end.
What really caught my attention about this novel is the way the story is written not just from the female perspective. The focus of the story is on the TWO characters: Callie and Talis, not just the heroine and the man she's pursuing, which is typical of modern romances. It seems to me that they pursue each other together. Also, it seems the reader learns everything about Hayden's past lives as she learns about them. It is an experience that reader and writer live through together, which makes the novel all the more touching.
I gave _Remembrance_ five stars because it gives me hope in believing that somewhere, somehow, whether we know it or understand it, there is someone for all of us. I like believing in the impossible; this book more than embraces the impossible, it winks at the unthinkable and then follows it.
on November 10, 2002
Remembrance.. ahhh. What a truly beautiful story of a love that spans centuries. Jude Deveraux has outdone herself with this book. I finished it within one day. I just could not seem to put it down.
Remembrance pulled from me such raw emotion that when I finished it I just sat there in stunned silence with tears streaming down my face. Joy, jealousy, rage, sadness, hopelessness, love, hate... it was all there and more. Within the first quarter of this book I had already been in tears at least twice and I know I must have sighed with longing for Hayden's soulmate right along with her at every page.
The plot has been outlined several times so I won't go into detail on that... just make a few points on why this book is a must read. First, some have commented on the fact that Part one of this book with Hayden narrating was very boring. I found it witty and humourous. It was needed to give us an insight as to who Hayden is and has been since her soul's birth. We needed to know her love for Jamie and be drawn into needing to know why she felt it so strongly.
I really enjoyed the first time travel back to Edwardian times. I wanted to know more about Tavey and more about Catherine and why there was such hatred/love between them. I was a little disppointed to be torn away from their story so quickly, but Part two drew me in immediately and kept me captivated. I must admit that at first I was hoping Catherine and Tavey's story would be continued sooner than it was... but the story of Callie and Talis was beautiful and soon I was completely drawn in. I felt pure rage for those who tried to hurt them and keep them apart. When I read the end of their story, I used half a box of kleenex.. and had to wait a moment for it to completely sink in before I could continue on.
Next came Catherine and Tavey again. With my newfound knowledge of their past and their amazing love, I couldn't wait to see what Hayden would do to cure their problem. So this was one of my favourite parts of the book. I smiled and sighed the whole way through Part three.
Lastly came Hayden and the book was wrapped up beautifully. Very neatly actually. Some have commented that it ended to neatly, but truthfully I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. All in all, this book was amazing and I know it is going to stay in my mind for years to come. When a book draws that much emotion from the reader, I am in awe of the author. What a sign of brilliant writing.
on November 4, 2002
I have read all of Jude Deveraux's romance novels, at times I have found them lacking in 'new' ideas. However, Rememberance is one of those special books that captures your mind and your heart. I find myself comparing all other romance novels to this book, not many have lived up to this awe-inspiring tale.
Rememberance is a story of past-lives and two souls that were meant for each other. However, over many life-times the souls of Cally and Talis loose each other. A curse is made in the past that prevents thier love in their future lives . Hayden, the modern soul of Cally is brought back into two different life-times. She is brought back into the moment of birth in a century long forgotten by history-- it is here that the tale begins.
The bond that is forged at birth between Cally and Talis is beyond that of the living world. Jude Deveraux spins a magical but believable fairy-tale that will leave tears in your eyes.
I have read this book, cover to cover twice. Each time, the power of her story envoked within me feelings of joy and sadness.
It is a bittersweet story for the hopeless romantic in everyone.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is probably my favorite Jude Deveraux masterpiece so far. Filled with real and true romance and some of the most touching scenes I've ever read in a book, this one is a sure keeper.
A tale about past lives, true love and lies, jealousy and the determination to keep soulmates apart forever. Tragedy and everlasting love make this one a classic masterpiece to read over and over. A little remenicent of Shakespear's 'Romeo and Juliet'.
Bestselling romance author Hayden Lane is completely and utterly obessed with her new hero and she doesn't know why. She is so obessed that she barely notices when her fiance walks out and her friends stop calling.
Determined to find out why she is so obsessed, she goes to a psychic(she is convinced this guy has to be real in some way) who informs her that she has a past life that originates in Edwardian England. She was also a woman named Lady de Grey. The psychic isn't sure which timeline is which since her soul seems to be so dramatic and lost.
Fascinated, Hayden begins researching Lady de Grey extensively, what she leanrs shocks her...apparently she was very, very promiscuous and mysteriously disappeared one night and her ghost is said to haunt her husband's home.
The psychic warns her to investigate no more. But Hayden being curious, does just that and more. She goes to a hypnotist at a friend's dinner party, but the trick goes horribly wrong, instead of remembering her past lives or seeing Lady de Grey, she actually becomes her past body as Lady de Grey!
More turmoil abounds and Hayden is tossed back farther to the beginning of her 'soul's birth', Edwardian times...during King Edward's reign, 1200's.
What she finds is so far from what she's read about Lady de Grey and alot of history in fact that she is determined to change it. But can she? Is the past predetermined? Is the man she finds merely brooding because he is as cruel as he seems to be or has something or someone caused it? Is this her hero from her book?
True love cannot be detroyed, only twisted into something resembling hate. Hayden must open her heart to a love so great it will bring tears to your eyes...
Tracy Talley~@
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
To begin with I think you should know that until this book I did not read or like romance novels, in fact I was once a part of the group who ridiculed both the writers and readers of these books. When my friend first reccomended this book to me I laughed in her face. Then I read the first page and didn't put the book down until it was finished. This is my favorite book of all time, after finishing it I went on to read every other book written by Ms. Deveraux, and while they are all good some even exceptional, I must say that this is the best of them all. A young woman falls in love with some one from a pastlife that she made up in her head, then she travels back in time to meet him, and it just gets better from there. I have never read a book that compares to this, and I can tell you I have read quite a few! If you like to read, if you like to laugh,then you will like this book, the author has a wonderful sense of humor and it comes through in her writting quite well. So, to finish up I just want to say Thank you Ms. Deveraux, you made a believer out of me!
on February 15, 2002
I have never felt so emotionally drained after reading a book before. My heart was ripped to shreds reading this book. This is, without a doubt, one of the best written books I have ever read. Hayden sets out to change the past so that she can find love in her lifetime. What a journey! She goes back to where it all starts, to Cassie and Talis and the blessing, or curse, that starts it all. Born at the same time right next to each other, a birthing mother on her death bed chants "two halves of one whole" about the two. From that time on, hidden, protected, and raised together by a loving couple with no children of their own, they comfort each other and feel each others tears, play together, and love each other. Until they discover who their parents are. From that time on, people do nothing but try to destroy their lives and love, no matter how hard they try to hold on. In anger and hate (the other side of love), they curse each other to only love each other, but not to be able to have each other. This carries on through lifetimes full of frustration, and Hayden has to find a way to reverse the curse so love can lead to happiness in her lifetime. This is a story I will read over and over and over again, and will never forget. Amazing. I believe in soulmates now.
on February 15, 2002
I have never felt so emotionally drained after reading a book before. My heart was ripped to shreds reading this book. This is, without a doubt, one of the best books I have ever read. Hayden sets out to change the past so that she can find love in her lifetime. What a journey! She goes back to where it all starts, to Cassie and Talis and the blessing, or curse, that starts it all. Born at the same time right next to each other, a birthing mother on her death bed chants "two halves of one whole" about the two. From that time on, raised togther by a loving couple with no children of their own, they comfort each other and feel each others tears, play together, and love each other. Until they discover who their parents are. From that time on, people do nothing but try to destroy their lives and love, no matter how hard they try to hold on. In anger and hate (the other side of love), they curse each other to only love each other, but not to be able to have each other. This carries on through lifetimes full of frustration, and Hayden has to find a way to reverse the curse so love can lead to happiness in her lifetime. This is a story I will read over and over and over again, and will never forget. Amazing. I believe in soulmates now.
on January 22, 2001
"Kelly" did such a great job in her review that I really don't have too much to add. This book is a rule breaker for me because - #1) I don't usually like time travel novels and #2) I HATE stories that are sad & weepy. "Remembrance" is both. But, I have to say that I love this book.
Hayden is a romance writer who wonders if she will ever find true love. She then goes on a quest to discover exactly what has happened in her past lives to prevent her from finding love in this one. The part of this book that really got my attention and my emotions involved; was the story of Talis and Callesandra. Their tragic story is the primary focus of this book, and I have to say that I HATED the end of their story. I know that their love story continues on through the other characters in the book, but I wanted THEM (I am whining here) to be together! I read romance novels to sigh, smile, and to step out of reality for just a few minutes to experience romantic relationships without all sweat and effort. I do not want to weep and mourn in my escape reading, however, as I said, this novel was the exception to the rule.
on July 2, 2000
I have been wanting to read something by Jude Deveraux for a long time, and while at my library, _Rememberance_ caught my attention. I hadn't heard anything about it, but thought, hey what the heck, and picked it up. As you start reading, you are introduced to Hayden Lane, an unhappy romance writer who is in love with a man she made up for one of her stories but never actually wrote about. She becomes more obsessed with him, and her fiance dumps her. Wanting to find out what is wrong with her, Hayden seeks professional help, but no one can tell her what is wrong. When she seeks out a physcic named Nora, the woman tells Hayden that she is unhappy in this life because of something that happened in her past life. She can never find love because in the Elizabethan age she and her soul mate put curses on each other that would make it so that they would never be happy together, in the life they were living, or in future lives. This intrigues Hayden, and she is soon digging up stuff about a woman, Lady de Grey, whom is said by Nora to be one of her former selves during the early 1900s. During a hypnotising session with her friend Millie's hypnotist, Hayden is whisked back to the time of Lady de Grey and promptly faints because of the unpleasent sensation of a corsett. Lady de Grey is married to her soul mate, but because of the past curses, they hate each other. Hayden sees that she can do nothing to make the two love each other and figures that she will never find love because it is impossible to make the two love each other. She sees an add for a hypnotist and figures that that will be her ticket back to the future. When Hayden tells the hypnotist where she would like to go, she inocently says "the begining" meaning back to her own time, but instead she is taken back to the begining when the soul mate buissness first started with her, the Elizabethan age.
In that age, the story begins of Talis and Callesandra (Hayden). The two are born on the same day in the same hour and somehow their spirits are intertwined. They grow up together, but cannot be sepparated for long or else the two will basically grow weak and die. When they grow up, the two look at each other with a deep deep love. But a long standing hate threatens the two's rare and amazing love. Will Hayden be able to figure out how to undo the curses the two put on each other and will she be able to get back to her own time?
_Rememberance_ is truly an epic novel with twists and turns and three loves in one. The character development of Talis and Callie (the two real main characters) is spectacular. I felt for Callie and thought she was one of the best romantic heroines I've seen in a while. She is not drop dead gorgeous, but she has a mind of her own and tells amazing stories. Talis is absolutely wonderful. He *is* handsom, but thinks himself a shadow compared to Callie and thinks she is the most beautiful thing in the universe. He thinks Callie's stories are the most entertaining things ever told. Their relationship was truly earth shaking. I liked the fact that some of this book didn't end happily ever after, but most of it did. This was one of the few romance books that I actually sobbed in. I cried for about an hour.
This was my first book by Jude Deveraux, and my book pile is growing with her books. Her writing style is fresh and touching. She makes you believe in things that you thought were just hocus pocus. _Rememberance_ has a special place in my heart now, and I will always remember it. The plot is unique, and I hope my soul mate makes an apperance sometime in my life. The only thing I didn't like about it was the end was a little corny but the rest was fabulous. So if you're thinking about reading a Jude Deveraux book, read this. If you remotely like Jude Deveraux, read this. If you like romance, read this. You will not be dissapointed.
on May 14, 2001
Have you ever wanted to say thanks to the author after reading a great story? this is how i felt after i read this story. I wanted and am still searching for a way where i can email or write Jude a letter of gratitude. I want to thank her bring to us a great many story! I am a true believer of soulmates, that somewhere in this vast world there is someone for everyone, and they are destined to be soulmates since the beginning of time, and in every life the souls will be searching for each other, sometimes they succeed, sometimes they dont. And when you do chance upon your soulmate, you would know it almost instantly! And that is what this book about!! which is so so cool! Jude, if you are reading this, I just wanna say THANK YOU SO MUCH! I wish i could be like Hayden, to go back in time. I want to know how my soulmate and me are destined and what have we been through.