1,038 Reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars In a fit of rage I threw it against the wall at page 510
Published on July 11 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Good But, Dec 9 2004
This review is from: Angels & Demons (Mass Market Paperback)
Like many people, I discovered Dan Brown through The Da Vinci Code (The Da Vinci Code and "A Tourist in the Yucatan" were my favorite thrillers of the year). As much as I enjoyed the just-one-more-page-before-I-turn-out-the-light qualities of this book I still prefer The Da Vinci Code. Angels & Demons is the prequel for The Da Vinci Code and I could truly see Brown's growth as a writer in his later work. I would consider his plotting skills in Angels & Demons good, but by the time he went on to write The Da Vinci Code I believe they were perfected.
Angels & Demons still possesses the page turning, fast paced plotting present in The Da Vinci Code. However, in my opinion, some of the plot twists, while being thoroughly entertaining, were also entirely unbelievable. I don't believe that fiction needs to be exactly like real life, but I can only suspend disbelief so far without falling out of the story.
If this was your first Dan Brown, and you enjoyed this one, I would highly recommend picking up a copy of The Da Vinci Code. If you've already read The Da Vinci Code, you'll probably like this one too, just know before you begin that you've already read the best, now you're going back for the rest.

1.0 out of 5 stars In a fit of rage I threw it against the wall at page 510, July 11 2004
By A Customer
After the hero jumps out of a helicopter at 15,000' using only a tarp as a parachute, surviving an anti-matter explosion on the way down, only to land safely in the river where coincidently a doctor sees him land and revives him. (His third or fourth time he has escaped death today). All the while, the "pope", who had a parachute, is pretending a miracle has happened as he has landed atop St. Peter's to the roar of the crowd. JEEEEEEZ Get me outa here!!! Even as a movie, this would get boos.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, But Not Original, Feb. 27 2006
"stickboy87" (Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
Having read "The Da Vinci Code", I was quite exited to dig into "Angels & Demons", Robert Langdon's first adventure. I found out, however, that I was reading the same book. Robert was yet again with a female "sidekick", the ending "twist" had the same elements, and the villian had the same mindset. Only the location and a few plot elements changed.

Having that being said, I would like to say that "Angels & Demons" is still an interesting read. Dan Brown seems to do his research while writing his novels, and since the chapters are short, I kept saying "Just one more chapter" as I read the book. I managed to finish it in two days.

Robert Langdon is awaken from his home in the United States due to a phone call by Dr. Kohler, the President of CERN, a Swiss science facility. There, Langdon sees the dead body of a CERN scientist with the word "Illuminati" burned onto his chest. Shortly thereafter, they discover one of the deadly projects the scientist was working on has gone missing; anitmatter. Anitmatter has the ability to power the continental United States with just one pound of it, or become the most dealy weapon ever made. Later, they discover that the canister is somewhere in The Vatican, the Illuminati's ultimate enemy.

If you already read "The Da Vinci Code", you can see the similarities. However, one of the things about Dan Brown is that he writes in such a way that we already know the outcome, we just want to see how it happens. "Angels & Demons" is well worth a read, but if you are new to Dan Brown, or, more importantly, Robert Langdon's universe, I strongly reccomend that you read "The Da Vinci Code" first, as that is a superiour novel and the ending won't be known before you start the second chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A PAGE TURNER, Sept. 1 2005
John Egbe (Atlanta,GA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels & Demons (Mass Market Paperback)
One of the most absolutely fabulous books I have ever read. It kept me trapped during a trip to South Africa. I was always looking for an opportunity to read it. Every free moment had to be used - while in the train, the bus, the plane, in my hotel room, the park. I couldn't stop until I had completed it. This book is a DECEPTION POINT,real page-turner.Also recommended: UNION MOUJIK,DISCIPLES OF FORTUNE,THE IDIOT

4.0 out of 5 stars Devilishly good, March 26 2005
This review is from: Angels & Demons (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed this book greatly despite some of the negative things I've heard. True, it's not my usually cup of tea, and our book club doesn't usually read this type of thing, preferring instead something more "modern" and literary such as McCrae's CHILDREN'S CORNER or that great read, THE LOVELY BONES. But we decided to give Mr. B a shot and the result was none too bad. After Robert Langdon, a professor of religious iconology at Harvard, receives a fax showing a brutally murdered corpse branded on the chest with an anagram of the word 'Illuminati,' he begins his exciting and suspenseful adventure. He travels to CERN, a highly advanced scientific research facility and meets the director, Maximilian Kohler, who sent him the fax. AT CERN Langdon learns that the corpse in the fax belonged to Leonardo Vetra, a christian scientist at CERN, and that he was murdered by an underground antireligous group who called them selves The Illuminati. Before he was murdered Leonardo Vetra and his adopted daughter had created a deadly substance called antimatter. Vetra and his daughter had successfully created a quarter gram of this antimatter which is capable of blowing up and entire city but find that it had been stolen. They find that it has been planted inside the Vatican City and will detonate at midbight. Furthermore, a Hassassin has captured four cardinals, the prefereti, and will kill one at a time every hour until midnight. The hassassin will also brand each murdered cardinal wtih an ambigram of the four elements, wind, water, fire, anmd earth on their chest. This leads to a chase through Rome with puzzles and clues to the location of the next murder. ANGELS & DEMONS, a prequel to THE DA VINCI CODE, is really exciting and suspenseful. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a fast, exciting read and likes suspense.

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, March 7 2005
John Egbe (Atlanta,GA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels & Demons (Mass Market Paperback)
One of the most absolutely fabulous books I have ever read. It kept me trapped during a trip to South Africa. I was always looking for an opportunity to read it. Every free moment had to be used - while in the train, the bus, the plane, in my hotel room, the park. I couldn't stop until I had completed it. This book is a real page-turner.
Also recommended: DISCIPLES OF FORTUNE, THE IDIOT, THE UNION MOUJIK

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and and curiously uplifting novel!, April 7 2004
North Carolina Reader (Burlington, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels & Demons (Mass Market Paperback)
Having read "The Da Vinci Code" I wondered if Dan Brown would measure up for me in his other works. I bought a copy of Angels and Demons and I was not disappointed. Robert Langdon, professor and symbologist is introduced to us in this novel. Robert is awakened in the middle of the night, and practically ordered to come to Europe, lured by the a grisly fax which reels him with one word "Illuminati". The Illuminati were a group of scientists vilifed by the Catholic Church hundreds of years ago, and believed to be an extinct group. Robert is mesmerized and boards a super-sonic plane to a high-tech scientific research corporation. From this point forward, the novel progresses at breakneck speed as Robert, along with the help of an interesting female character named Vittoria, [who has a huge stake in the outcome of the novel] literally race against time to save Vatican City. Together they must travel to Vatican City and attempt to follow an ancient "map" to the person responsible for a threat to destroy Vatican City with a weapon of science - anti-matter. Although there is plenty of suspense, treachery, and violence in this novel, I felt strong undercurrent of faith, not in any specific religious dogma, but just simple, human faith. This is a very well written novel with so many twists and turns, the reader has to turn really immerse him or herself into the book. The character, Robert Langdon has such terrific appeal in this novel as well as "The DaVinci Code" because he is written to be so very human. He makes mistakes, he doubts himself, he continues forward when there seems to be no hope. He make us WANT him to succeed! The surprise ending is a good one, that I did not guess. Bear with the background information at the beginning. It does read a bit slow, but once events begin to unfold, this novel is unstoppable! I look forward to more Dan Brown novels with Robert Langdon as the central character. This is the kind of character you will fall in love with and want to read about more and more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 6 2014
C. T. Shaw "dkdocterry" (Tobique Narrows,N.B. Canada) - See all my reviews
Good

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. I don't even know where or how to begin to describe my emotions., May 17 2014
My Thoughts:

1. The book had me hooked right from the start. The storyline had me captivated the entire time; there was never a dull moment.

2. Brown's writing had me on the edge of my seat! He does a phenomenal job at building suspense and keeping readers on their toes. What I liked was how the author used real historical sculptures and artifacts in the plot which made the story much more realistic and believable.

3. The characters in this book were fantastic; they were dynamic and had solid character developments. I liked how I was able to identity between them based on their distinct personalities.

4. There were many times when I thought a character was the villian but turned out to be completely the opposite.

5. The storyline was thrilling, addictive, and unpredictable. The pacing of the plot was very fast-paced, since the whole book takes place over 24 hours.

6. A phenomenal adventure/mystery read! I'm definitely continuing on with the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful novel., Dec 30 2013
Characterization, vivid descriptions of scenes and mesmerizing plot. Someone who has been there might appreciate the locations, but as someone who has not, one feels although you are there.

Angels & Demons
Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (Mass Market Paperback - June 26 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01