5.0 out of 5 stars A revolutionary and yet ancient book!
Thank goodness there is someone out there that doesn't buy the fallacies enforced upon us by our Victorian-hang-over society that says touching is bad, sleeping with your child will turn them into a pervert, and that breasts are sexual objects and shouldn't be for feeding your child beyond 6 months.
This is a wonderful book, I give it out regularly at baby showers to...
Published on July 28 2004 by Ahleemah Joy

1.0 out of 5 stars This book insults "thinking" mothers and fathers
Published on July 10 2002 by Rebecca A. Moore

1.0 out of 5 stars This book insults "thinking" mothers and fathers, July 10 2002
This review is from: Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child (Paperback)
I consider myself an "attachment parent" - my son is exclusively breastfed, he sleeps in the Arm's Reach cosleeper and I carry him whenever I can. And, believe me, I love Dr. Sears as much as the next mom. But I found this book to be nothing more than propaganda for Dr. Sears. On top of that, the author makes you feel guilty and stupid if you don't follow her ideas to the T. This book left me feeling like my son would be scarred for life unless I did exactly what it says. Sorry, but parents and children are more complicated than that, and I prefer to think for myself.
If you want to know more about attachment parenting, skip this patronizing and insulting book and go straight to something from the Sears library.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not add to my knowledge in any way, Nov. 20 1999
Kiri (Camden, ME) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be really redundant, dogmatic and frankly, insulting in its lack of new information. It just did not contribute any knowledge beyond the other books that are widely available, and that are better-written. Most of the information in the book is a rehash of stuff from Dr. William Sears' books (which I love) and from Our Babies Ourselve, by Meredith Small (another great book!). Please check out those much more interesting and informative works instead of this.

2.0 out of 5 stars fairly preachy, May 19 2005
main point of book is to breastfeed as over half of it dwells on that. also, references are often repeated as they are provided at end of eacfh heading. interesting read but no mysteries solved...

1.0 out of 5 stars How about "Katie Granju's Parenting" for the title!, Nov. 24 2002
"ellapt" (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
Don't buy this book, please don't. You will only find it filled with the writer's personal bias more so than facts. No, a crib is not a baby cage, and buying a stroller is not a crime (you can't use a sling forever); and while I am a breastfeeding mother and strongly believe in the benefits of breastfeeding, I wouldn't allow myself to develop this attitude that would make other mothers believe formula manufacturers have an evil corporate greed based vendetta to rid the world of breastfeeding mothers. There are many other books you can buy on natural parenting and bonding with your baby that aren't filled with this high level of misinformation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A revolutionary and yet ancient book!, July 28 2004
Ahleemah Joy (Regina, SK, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful book, I give it out regularly at baby showers to new moms to counteract the fearful misinformation of those who believe babies need to be controlled and manipulated into becoming human beings, instead of gently unfolded like precious creatures, with just the right amount of loving guidance.
Co-sleeping advocates can find books with better research and references, clearly this book was not meant to be a complication of research, but it's a refreshing change from the infamous Crib industry-sponsored "study" (which managed to lump in drug using mothers passed out on their babies and calling that "co-sleeping") making the uneducated public up in arms about that issue.
All in all, an easy read and a good beginning to point towards more varied and detailed books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great source for pregnant and new parents, Jan. 9 2004
By A Customer
This book will remind you of the importance of trusting your instincts with regard to parenting. It emphasizes the importance of being there for your baby, loving, listening and responding. Great baby shower gift. It's also a good companion to the AP compliation book, LOVING MAMA.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great gift for expectant parents!, Jan. 6 2004
By A Customer
Although my own children are grown, I often buy this book to give expectant parents. Granju's book and a sling make a perfect shower present. Those to whom I've given it have had rave reviews and tell me they have passed it along to other couples who are expecting babies. I only wish I had known when mine were infants what I know now from reading the book, but at least I can make a difference in the way future generations are raised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read, June 14 2003
I can't figure out why so many earlier reviewers have trashed this book. It's a lovely, empowering book. Read the excerpts and judge for yourself. Don't be put off this book by a few nasty reviewers with an axe to grind.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is Dr. Sears "lite", June 3 2003
Jennifer and Mia (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
If you don't have time to read "The Baby Book" or other attachment parenting books by Dr. William Sears, this is a good synopsis of his basic philosophy. I recommend Dr. Sears' books if you have the time to read them, because they are much more thorough, and come straight from the source.

1.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment!!! Biased and intolerant., May 20 2003
I bought this book because I already have some of the Sears' books (which I mostly liked) and I decided to try a new author. It was a BIG mistake. I was looking for solid information on the child's emotional development and how does bonding and holding affects it. Instead, I got a book mostly about breastfeeding, (I already had a couple of excellent books on breastfeeding), very redundant, and based mostly on the author's opinion and not in substantial facts. Besides, this book is very intolerant to other lifestyles different from the "family bed-hold your kid 24 hours a day", ridiculing it and making you feel stupid if you are not getting it "right". Also, a word on family bed: it is not for everybody, you don't have to do it just because some third-world societies do it, and it is not a guarantee for a better night sleep. Don't feel guilty (as this book makes you feel) if it doesn't match your lifestyle. Hope this review is useful for you.

Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child