5.0 out of 5 stars A great read- Mercy has it all!
This is the 2nd book, i've read by Julie Garwood (the first being Heartbreaker) and so far she is 2 for 2. What a great book- Mercy has romance, suspense, mystery..
Published on Nov. 20 2003 by destiny morna

3.0 out of 5 stars More romance than suspense
Theo Buchanan is devoted to his job, much like his FBI brother Nick (star of ï¿Heartbreakerï¿), the only difference is Theo is a Justice Department attorney.
At an exclusive party in New Orleans, Theo is struck ill and rushed to the hospital, there his life will be saved by Dr. Michelle Renard, a beautiful surgeon. While Theo is slowly falling for...
Published on Sept. 15 2001 by Nick G

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Story, March 8 2004
Elizabeth "lking173" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mercy (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a Julie Garwood fan, and while I enjoyed this novel, I have to admit that it had to grow on me. When I first read it, I stopped a few times because I felt the story line was a tad bit slow. Still I forced my way through it and the story picked up speed and ended up a wonderful thriller. Justice Attorney Theo gets seriously ill at a party and passes out right before throwing up on beautiful Dr. Michelle Renard. Michelle is a surgeon and saves Theo's life. Theo is instantly attracted to Michelle and the sparks fly and the beginning of a romance ensues. What Theo learns is that Michelle, even though she is this big city doctor, actually comes from a very poor small town and is returning to that town to open a practice. Theo, who is actually very burned out at his job and even though he doesn't realize it, big city life, visits Michelle in her hometown to get to know her better. What neither realizes though is that there is a secret organization that wants Michelle dead. This organization has also followed Michelle to her hometown. The story picks up from there. You meet all the good hearted but poor town folk while being immersed into Michelle's small time life. I enjoyed the book. Out of Julie's contemporary novels, this is probably my least favorite, but still a very good read. I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read- Mercy has it all!, Nov. 20 2003
This review is from: Mercy (Mass Market Paperback)
Mercy is the story of surgeon Michelle Renard "mike" who is attending a society gala when Justice Dept attorney Theo gets stricken and needs emergent surgery. Theo is in Louisiana and helps investigate a secret club of white collar criminals. Together these 4 have secreted millions of dollars but they agree not to touch the money for 5 years.
The club's leader, John, plans to kill his wife Catherine and threatens their club's safety. Catherine is supposedly ill and John tells them it will be a mercy killing to end her suffering. They hire Monk to help them but it ends up that John is not telling the whole truth.
The club eventually targets michelle as she is the one person who can destroy them and expose their club. Theo helps her investigage and protect her.
The main characters were rich and believable and the story line was fast paced and exciting. Even better, the secondary characters of monk, Michele's dad (big jake) , theo's family and even the criminals enrich the story. Mercy is a great book!!

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not Linda Howard, March 10 2003
This review is from: Mercy (Mass Market Paperback)
I finished 'Heartbreaker' yesterday and I found a sneak preview to Mercy at the back of the book. While I haven't laid my hands on 'Mercy' yet, I thought I should check out reader reviews first. Looking through the reviews I found one that I had to comment on.(Believe me this is totally out of character for me but I couldn't help myself).
One of the readers(Lindsey Wilson) refers to mercy as being one of Linda Howard's best. Please, please even if it's only wishful thinking do not confuse the author of this book with Ms. Howard. Heartbreaker which I have read and which is a preclude to 'Mercy' reads like an extremely pale imitation of a Linda Howard. While I was reading Heartbreaker I couldn't help but wish it was a Linda Howard. Now, she would know what to do with the characters, the story line and the dialog. I am a great fan of Linda Howard and I think she writes some of the best contemporary mystery/romance novels.
Having said all this, I'll check out Mercy and hope that I don't have to force myself to finish it just because I paid good money for it as was the case with 'Heartbreaker'.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Surprisingly Great Read!!, Sept. 27 2002
This review is from: Mercy (Hardcover)
Like most fans of Julie Garwood's wonderful historical romance novels, I was very hesitant to read any of her contemporary novels for fear that I wouldn't like them. As fate would have it, a rainy day, some free time, and plain old curiosity made me pick up a copy of Mercy.
I was hooked from the first page. I was drawn into the plot of the corrupt Sowing Club and their connection to the heroine Dr. Michelle Renard. Michelle is a strong, smart contemporary character who is easy to like and identify with. I very much liked Theo Buchanan, who is sexy, smart,and quite versatile. I felt that the romantic and sexual tension between her and Theo was just enough to make you drool but not too much to make you roll your eyes in disgust.
Most surprising to me about this book was Julie Garwood's ability to balance the mystery/adventure with the romance between the two characters. Unlike most books I have read, I was not able to predict the ending (other than Michelle and Theo living happily ever after). I must say that Ms. Garwood has done an excellent job in transitioning to contemporary novels. I will give her future contemporary works more consideration when choosing something to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time JG reader and WOW!, Aug. 19 2002
This review is from: Mercy (Mass Market Paperback)
I am not a fan of historical romances so I have never picked up a Garwood book. I work in a bookstore and have read most of the descriptions and I know how popular she is...
Mercy was excellent. I really enjoy the tight romantic suspense and she def. made me feel for the characters. True it did seem a little busy with the sheer number of characters involved, but it was easy to navigate. If you enjoy romantic suspense I HIGHLY recommend this book, if you spook easily and/or live alone.....maybe this won't be your cup of tea :-)
As an addition: DO NOT BUY the audio book read by Terrence Mann. I listen to audios all the time (my commute is 2 and 1/2 hours every day) and I thought that since I loved the book so much, then the audio would be great to listen to.
Terrence Mann does a good job with the different accents in the book (Cajun, Boston) but he has no sense of emotion and he smacks his lips all throughout the production. The sound became so grating and so pronounced (in my mind) that I couldn't even finish it. I am hoping that Killjoy will be out on audio, but if he's the reader, there not a chance I will purchase it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A mercifully entertaining read, Aug. 5 2002
Desmond Chan (Bishan North Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mercy (Mass Market Paperback)
Catherine Bondue's death was staged as an ostensible suicide but her husband John knew better. He manipulated his friends in his self-formed crime organization The Sowing Club to concoct a murder scheme by hoodwinking them into thinking that it was more of a mercy killing to end her sufferings by a debilitating disease. Little did he expect his wife to outsmart him by gathering his sordid evidence and send them to her niece Dr. Michelle "Mike" Renard. The nefarious felons soon invade Michelle's life so it is thus fortunate that Theo Buchanan from the Justice Dept. fatefully enters her life when Michelle rescues him after he fainted on her in a gala at New Orleans. The lean, hard pulsating thriller from second-timer Julie Garwood is fraught with fast twists, back-stabbings and deceptions that climaxes with a showdown at the hospital. The romance between the intelligent Michelle and chivalrous Theo adds on to the palpable tension instead of slowing down the frenetic pacing of pursuits and evil sabotages. Interweaving the small-town Louisians backdrop and charming interactions with the thriving community, the book crackles with humour, warmth and fraternity. This contemporary romance fuses cutthroat suspense to render it a mercifully entertaining read that will have Garwood's fans cheering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have Mercy!!, April 10 2002
This review is from: Mercy (Hardcover)
I just love Julie Garwood, I believe that she is the queen of romantic thrillers! Mercy is the newest gem in a long line of spectacular stories. It is set in the present time and revolves around an attorney named Theo Buchanan (who is the brother of Nick Buchanan from Heartbreaker) and a doctor named Michelle Renard (whom everyone calls Dr. Mike). The story takes place in New Orleans and the swampy little town of Bowen, Louisiana. If you liked Heartbreaker, this one will not disappoint.
I have always loved Ms. Garwood's historical romance novels in the past, but she has transported us to the present in the past two novels without missing a beat. She takes us on a thrilling ride!
I am still hoping that she makes Noah Clayborne her leading man in the next novel. He is my favorite character who appears in Heartbreaker as well as Mercy. It is always a pleasant surprise to see recurrent characters pop-up in her latest releases. It gives you something to look forward to. You come to really love the characters she writes about and when you see them again, it feels like a family reunion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Replace it!, Jan. 23 2002
Anna (Gilroy, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mercy (Hardcover)
Theo Buchanan is devoted to his career. He works as a Justice Department Attorneey. Dr. Michelle Renard saves Theo's life when he was dreadfully sick. Theo couldn't take his eyes off her, when he saw her. Theo's lead a lonely life after his wife died. He works himself very hard everyday. The two seem very attracted to each other when they met. Also, Catherine, Michelle's related relative, died and Michelle was sent a mysterious package. Only that she never got to open it. Four men named the sowing club were after that package. They would do anything to get it.
This book was full of tenderness and love. Also, hilarious parts that will make you tear when you laugh and mysterious parts that will make you wonder until your brain exploded. Well, its not that mysterious.
I am serious, you have got to read this book. It's beyond amazing. I also sugest that you read the book "heartbreaker". That book cames before "Mercy". Check both of them and you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, Dec 21 2001
This review is from: Mercy (Hardcover)
I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH SOME OF THE REVIEWER'S FIRSTLY ONE MUST FORGET ABOUT HER PREVIOUS BOOKS SINCE THEY WERE HISTORICALS.. AND LOOK AT THIS AND HEARTBREAKER AS A TOTALLY NEW VENTURE.. ACTION SUSPENSE... I LOVED THIS BOOK AS I DID HEARTBREAKER AND I LOVE THE FACT THAT SHE IS CONTINUING WITH THE CHARACTERS..AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED ITS MAKES VERY ENTERTAINING READING AND IF YOU LIKE LINDA HOWARD - NORA ROBERTS ETC.. THEN YOU'LL LOVE THIS BOOK AND HER PREVIOUS ONE HEARTBREAKER NICK AND LAURANTS STORY..
I SHALL LOOK FORWARD TO ANTICIPATION FOR MORE ABOUT THE BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF NICK.. AND NOT FORGETTING NOAH CLAYBOURNE.
JUST REMEMBER.. THOUGH THESE TWO BOOKS ARE NOT LIKE HER PREVIOUS ONES... I THINK HER SUSPENSE NOVELS ARE GREAT.. BUT IF YOUR INTO HISTORICAL WHY BY SUSPENSE IN THE FIRST PLACE.. AND KEEP AN OPEN MIND.. I MEAN THERE A LOT OF AUTHORS OUT THERE WHO LIKE TO WRITE DIFFERENT GENRES.. I MEAN IT MUST GET AWFULLY BORING..
I GIVE 5 STARS... AND I READ THIS BOOK IN ONE SITTING..

5.0 out of 5 stars Garwood Hits Her Stride, Oct. 12 2001
This review is from: Mercy (Hardcover)
While Mercy isn't really a sequel to the earlier novel, Heartbreaker, it does continue the story of the Buchanan brothers, with Theo taking the lead here. Like Nick from Heartbreaker, he's a terrific hero (Garwood always writes fabulous male characters). Michelle (aka Mike) is another strong heroine, playing a skilled surgeon who wants to stay in her small Louisiana hometown as a GP for the town folk. Like Heartbreaker, Mercy is also a suspense story - and a good one at that. Unlike Heartbreaker, you know who the bad guys are and what they are doing. Or, at least you think you do - Garwood pulls out some good surprises along the way, one in particular throws you. She's certainly not a Grishom, but she has come so far with her writing, Mercy is a real pleasure to read. And her skill at writing dialog has greatly improved, the character interactions really shine in Mercy. You know from the start that Theo and Mike will end up together, there's no secret there - Garwood keeps you engaged with the suspense plot and does a terrific job. Now here's my next request - we've come to know (and love/lust for) Noah in both Heartbreaker and Mercy. I realize he's not a Buchanan, but Julie can we finally meet the woman who will be his downfall? Hey - Theo and Nick have sisters, don't they?

Mercy
Mercy by Julie Garwood (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 1 2002)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49