5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Aug. 24 2007
This review is from: Meets the Eye (Mass Market Paperback)
Every time I start reading a book in the BODY OF EVIDENCE series, I'm immediately reminded of how much I enjoy the actual mysteries that abound in these stories. Sure, I love the characters, especially Jenna Blake, but the interesting story lines are what keep this series fresh, fun, exciting, and interesting.

After the last case that Jenna worked on in the Somerset Medical Examiner's office (SOUL SURVIVOR), she decided she'd had enough. She quit her job as a deiner for the M.E., even though she had become friends with both Dr. Slikowski and Al Dyson. She's spending more time with her best friends, Yoshiko and Hunter, and she's finally becoming an actual girlfriend to Damon. She hasn't done much looking back or wavering about quitting her job--well, maybe a little--since she made her decision, until two things change her mind: 1) during a frat party at DTD, a freshman drops dead at her feet and even her CPR attempts fail to revive him, and 2) Jenna sees with her own two eyes what appears to be someone bringing a dead person back to life--as a zombie.

Jenna knows that, scientifically, there is no room allowed for zombies or people who come back from the dead. But when a body comes alive and starts screaming during its autopsy, all of her previous beliefs fly out the window. Suddenly, Jenna is thrust into yet another mystery, this one of mind-bending proportions. Why are seemingly dead people coming back to life to commit crimes? How can a person be declared dead only to come back to life on a steel slab? Why are these "zombies" acting as if their brain power is gone, doing only violent, evil things instead of the normal, sane things they did before their "deaths"?

And when this time it's Dyson who gets a little too close to danger, Jenna and Slick must work together to put an end to this zombie business--before someone else ends up being one of the undead.

Once again, I read this installment in the life and times of Jenna in one sitting. Although I stayed up past midnight to do it (thanks, Mr. Golden!) I wasn't disappointed in the least. And, as always, I can't wait to read the next book in the series!

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling!, Jan. 20 2004
Erika Sorocco (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meets the Eye (Mass Market Paperback)
Jenna Blake had had it with the life of an assistant to a somewhat mad-scientist of a Medical Examiner. That is, until she finds out about a strange new crime wave involving zombies. But Jenna knows that she has to go back to Somerset Medical Center to solve the mystery, when she tries to save the life of Tom, a freshman at Somerset, just like her, who dies, but mysteriously comes back to life days later, when his autopsy is taking place. Now she's got to find an explanation to these strange crimes involving people who are already dead. After all, zombies can't really exist, can they?
After reading the previous BODY OF EVIDENCE books, I am shocked to say that this is one of my absolute favorites. Instead of a drop-off in plots after the first few books, Golden is still going strong. Coming up with storylines that will thrill and entice you at the same time. Fans of the previous BODY OF EVIDENCE books can not miss MEETS THE EYE.
Erika Sorocco

5.0 out of 5 stars The strangest case Jenna has faced to date!, June 18 2001
This review is from: Meets the Eye (Mass Market Paperback)
Jenna Blake thought she was done being an assistant Medical Examiner but when a strange series of crimes show up she finds herself strangely drawn towards them. What's so strange about these crimes is the fact that the murderers are already dead. Torn between the want to help and solve the mystery, and to have a normal life with her friends Hunter and Yoshiko and her boyfriend Damon, Jenna is forced to make a serious decision. Will she take her old job back? Even if it means putting her life in jepordy Again??
I found this book to be an equally thilling edition to the series, one of the best to date. The "Zombie killings" are baffling and you'll never expect who the real killer is. If your a fan of the Body of evidence series and can stomache reading about a lot of gore, read this book! It's one of the best in the series that I'v read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Are zombies real?, Sept. 18 2000
Patricia Woods (Enumclaw, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meets the Eye (Mass Market Paperback)
Jenna Blake gets herself caught up in another suspensful puzzle. Even open minded Jenna has to question her beliefs with this one. Are zombies real or myth? She has to find out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolting, mystifying, and totally amazing!, April 26 2000
This review is from: Meets the Eye (Mass Market Paperback)
I love this series! It keeps me in suspense. The different "cases" in the series are really original and like nothing I had ever imagined. This book has been my favorite so far. Christopher Golden presents a mystifying problem early in the story. Keep in mind that I don't usually get scared from stories or books, but at the climax of Meets the Eye, something totally unexpected happened and I nearly dropped the book with a start! I was almost crying (and laughing at myself at the same time)! I can't wait for the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Series!, April 16 2000
This review is from: Meets the Eye (Mass Market Paperback)
I honestly think this is one of the BEST series I have ever read. I've read all 4 of the Body of Evidence series and am very anxious to have the fifth in my hands. I have read the other reviews for this book and I disagree with the people who don't like these books. The thing I like the most about these books is that the killer is always someone you don't suspect. In Meets The Eye, I was almost constantly in suspense and couldn't put the book down because of that. At the beginning I thought that Jenna had made a HUGE mistake. She had thought in the pervious books that this was her calling. I don't blame her for being scared out of her mind. But, I was satisfied when she decied to go back. Towards the end, I was rapidly reading so I could find out what happened next. I think that these books are EXTERMELY well written and I can't wait for the next books in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Night of the Living Dead . . . on campus!, March 23 2000
This review is from: Meets the Eye (Mass Market Paperback)
Pitting college freshman Jenna Blake and the rest of the Sommerset PD and ME's office against (apparent) zombies who have returned to the dead, Meets the Eye certainly raises the weirdness quotient of the Body of Evidence thrillers another notch. Nancy Drew was never like this! When creating his mysteries, Mr. Golden always manages to keep me guessing as to what's going on.
Judging from this book and the last one, Soul Survivor, it seems as if the focus of the series is shifting from figuring out whodunnit to just revealing what's going on. The plots are still interesting, but an unfortunate side effect seems to be that when the culprit is finally revealed, it seems to almost come out of left field. And that's a shame, because while the killers may be underdeveloped, the regular cast certainly isn't.
While I thought that Soul Survivor tried to wrap up the emotional scars from the previous book (Thief of Hearts) too quickly, Meets the Eye moves the characters along at a more natural pace. Jenna's relationships with her father, her classmates, and her coworkers are proceeding in a believable fashion. Her relationship with Damon Harris continues to grow, and it'll be interesting to see if her crush with Detective Danny Marciano raises its ugly head again in later books to interfere with that.
Pathologists Slick and Dyson take on slightly larger roles this time around, in some surprising ways. Mr. Golden established early on in this series that nobody is necessarily safe, that everyone is a potential victim, and that really helps the suspense this time around. And, of course, we get some more of Mr. Golden's grisly murder scenes and--wonder of wonders--fight scenes that really make violence seem like a bad thing, instead of glorifying it.
I still really enjoy this series, and think it's appropriate for adults as well as teens. (Parents of younger readers might want to check out the levels of violence, gore, and the increasingly mature language creeping into the books to make sure they're acceptable for their children.) I just wish Mr. Golden would get back to creating killers who are as interesting as his cast of heroes or their methods of killing.

Meets the Eye
Meets the Eye by Christopher Golden (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 1 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01