5.0 out of 5 stars A self-help book that teaches you how to read music., July 26 1998
This review is from: Learn to Read Music (Paperback)
This book is a gem for any adult interested in teaching themselves the fundementals of reading music.
It lets the reader teach themselves by presenting examples to be solved and then explaining the solutions with painstaking detail and clarity.
The examples proceed in a logical order; commencing soley with reading rhythms, then soley reading pitch, then finally combining rhythm and pitch into melodies to be analysed and played at the piano.
The chapter on explaining the concept of tonality is masterful.
The examples are plentiful, and over time (in my case about three months of 5 to 15 mins per day), are meant to instil the basic skills and confidence you need to acquire to read single note melodies by sight. As Shanet points out, and very accurately from my experience, the examples must be done, not glossed over, because one learns to read music by doing it, not only understanding it or reading about how to do it.
What the book won't do is teach you how to p! lay an instrument although the basic examples at the piano provide a solid foundation from which you can go on to learn any instrument with much more confidence than you might have otherwise.
The language is clear, though sometimes wordy (it was written in 1958 and so does reflect the language style of the day).
I feel that Howard Shanet has a real appreciation of the problems people face when learning to read music and has successfully written a text that works.
In my estimation, a classic educational text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Was Looking For..., Nov. 14 2003
This review is from: Learn to Read Music (Paperback)
This book is THE most useful book I've purchased and read on how to read music so far. I have just started learning to play the violin (I am in my mid-40s)and although all my life I've sung and music is, and has always been, a huge part of my life(many of my family members are accomplished musicians)I've never played an instrument or had any formal musical theory training. This book is the reference I have gone back to again and again as I progress with my violin and I have questions or areas that aren't clear to me (such as the concepts of major and minor scale, flats/sharps/accidentals and how they came about). . not only does this book take you from the very basics to the complex, Howard Shanet takes the time to explain WHY certain things are the way they are in written music. I was struggling with some concepts and when my teacher explained them to me I didn't get it....I looked it up in a smaller book on music theory and the explanation was there but I still didn't quite get it . . and then I looked up the subject (this happened to be accidentals/flats and sharps and also time meters) in this book and because Howard Shanet explained why sharps and flats are written the way they are, I was able to understand the concept and work beyond it. Just an excellent book and I recommend it to anyone learning to read and play music. It is true, this book will not teach you how to play any instrument, BUT without the basics and theory in this book it would be very difficult for me to progress with my violin playing. Highly recommend it.

This review is from: Learn to Read Music (Paperback)
The chapter on explaining the concept of tonality is masterful.
In my estimation, a classic educational text.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good beginning for reading music, July 23 2001
Jennifer A. Johnson "jabbl" (St. George, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learn to Read Music (Paperback)
Though there is no substitute for one-on-one teaching, this book gives a very good introduction to the fundamentals of learning to read music. It has very thorough explanations on musical notation and offers many useful activities to build one's skill.
Upon finishing this book and its exercises, you will not have learned to play an instrument. What you will have gained is an understanding of how to read the notes and symbols on sheet music, which will be extremely beneficial to your musical development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for beginners, June 11 2003
This review is from: Learn to Read Music (Paperback)
It has all the basics, so it's a good introduction to music notation. For those who forgot some things about reading music, this a good reference book to keep in your house. I strongly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick steps to learn to read music, March 5 2001
This review is from: Learn to Read Music (Paperback)
If you want to quickly learn to read music and have a clear idea of every kind of musical sign, this book is REALLY helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy way to learn to read music, Nov. 7 1999
This review is from: Learn to Read Music (Paperback)
This book is very great to people who want to read music. You can learn about rythm, pitch and a little more. For those who want to learn (or teach) in an easy and fast way. Good for beginners and teachers.

Learn to Read Music
Learn to Read Music by Howard Shanet (Paperback - Feb. 15 1971)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27