Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on September 8, 2003
This product was my first experience with Russian. It is good for teaching you what I would call "Tourist Russian". This product actually got me interested in learning more than just basic Russian so I am planning on purchasing the rest of the course. I would also recommend buying a book on learning to read and write Russian if you are serious about learning the language. As I learned how to read the Cyrillic alphabet (or I should say I have started to learn it) it helped me to understand some of the things on the CD's and vice versa. Overall, I have been very happy with the product. Having them on CD is great because you can do this while you are driving back and forth to work every day.
on June 8, 2000
I have done many language programs and the Pimsler system is the best I have come across. One of my favorite features is that words are sounded out back to front, which helps get past the swallowed endings that you get in natural speech.
The positive stuff said, the problem with this is that it is just a teaser for the full-blown Pimsleur courses that are really expensive. At least Russian is available in levels 1-3. By level 3 you are almost functional in the spoken language, able to express basic wants and desires, basic narrative, etc. Level 1 does not get you even to basic functionality as a tourist, so how is an abridged course going to do it?
on May 30, 2002
This is a great way to get back some lost vocabulary or to add onto a previous introductory course. After taking Russian for several years, I was finding myself victim to "use it or lose it". This gave me a forum in which to build my vocabulary back up by actually USING it. That's something a lot of programs don't incorporate. As a disclaimer, my friend who has never studied any Russian could not repeat correctly, showing that it can be somewhat difficult to know exactly what it's supposed to sound like without a knowledge of the phonetic system.
on May 4, 2001
Do you know how hard it is to learn Russian? I am only half way through the course and it's just amazing how much I've learned already! I can't get over it. The only drawback is that I would have to purchase the EXPENSIVE unabridge set in order to continue. Why don't they just make it in volumes so that those of us who can't afford it can purchase them by set! Basic, Intermediate, Advanced.......etc...