5.0 out of 5 stars totally engaging, memorizable
Published on Aug. 16 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars strange
I found it quite strange that the animals in the book 'exercised' before going to bed. They took a bath, brushed their teeth, then exercised? It's almost like they forced it to make the words rhyme ('And when the moon is on the rise, they all got up to exercise!). Or maybe I don't get the humor? I just don't want my child to think that exercise is part of bedtime...
Published on Oct. 4 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars totally engaging, memorizable, Aug. 16 1999
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
My seven month old daugther hated her car seat. I have read this book to her so many times I have it memorized. My husband has it memorized and our daughter now 18 months old has it memorized. It continues to be her favorite book. It has stood up to some really heavy use. The rhymes are great. The imagery is easy for kids to understand, ie. brushing teeth, hanging towels on the wall, taking a bath, exercising, sun setting, saying good night. I cherish this book for helping us survive many long trips between KS and MI to visit relatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing and rhythmic -- puts YOU to sleep for sure!, Feb. 10 2003
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
This book was written years ago
By now all parents HAVE to know
There's no finer way to fall asleep
Than Boynton's bouncy moose and sheep;
If you enjoy her rhyming words
Of geese and mice and bees and birds
There's no finer way to brighten kids' eyes
Than wrapping this up for their surprise!
Better fuel up on caffeine before reading this to your little guys, or its rhythms will soothe you to dreamland before you know it. I don't think this has gotten a bad review yet, so I think I'll just join the crowd in recommending this book to every parent, wannabe parent, or friend/relative of a parent. Or just buy it for yourself and read yourself to sleep... Boynton's classic bouncy animals sure beat counting sheep!

5.0 out of 5 stars Our bedtime favorite, Dec 28 2006
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
My 28 month old daughter absolutely adores this book, as does her 32 year old mother! It has a remarkably calming effect on her when she's all wound up at the end of the day, and fighting sleep as children her age are wont to do. The wonderful rhythm of the words is soothing, and easy for her to understand. She has begun "reading" along with me, and it's delightful to actually witness her learning. Thank you, Sandra Boynton, for putting your remarkable talent towards such a wonderful thing as children's books!!! My big thanks go also to Boszenna Nowiki for creating inspiring series of children books titled Why some cats are rascals

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Cute!!! Gotta have it!!!, Jan. 23 2002
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
I bought this book based on reviews and got no huge reaction when my daughter(2) opened it at Christmas. However, the first time we read it, she started memorizing it. The second time: she took the book, went away and sat by herself "reading it" over and over.
The book tells of a variety of cutesy animals(on a boat) getting ready for bed. They go through the ritual of taking a bath, hanging up their towels, finding pajamas, brushing their teeth and then the much controversial exercising. The boat part I thought was a little weird at first but how else are you gonna rock an elephant and a hippopotamus to sleep?
This book didn't help my kids go to sleep or even get them to pick up their towels but it sure brought out a lot of conversation and excitement about reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely MEMORY maker!, Sept. 5 2000
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
Tonight while surfing through amazon I stumbled upon Sandra Boynton. Remembering how fond my children were of her board books when they were toddlers, I read a few of the reviews. I laughed and cried thinking about how frequently "The Going To Bed Book" was read in our household and how IMPORTANT it became in our bedtime ritual. Out of curiosity I pulled the old book from our library shelves and went to my kids, now 15, 12 and 9 and began to recite a few lines. *NOTE - I didn't actually NEED the book in order to do this. To my delight each of them perked up, smiled and began to chant the lines right along with me. They remembered the characters, the words, the way we used to read the story. You see, for them the memories of this book are wonderful as well!
Sandra Boynton is gifted at coupling wonderful, readable verse with delightful illustration. Don't miss this book and don't hesitiate to purchase others from her collection. We have HUNDREDS of read aloud childrens books in this house. This ranks right up there with the absolute favorites and should be IMHO amongst the first books read to a cherished babe.
P.S. Don't miss "Doggies" either! If you read this one with FEELING they'll be begging for it time and again!

4.0 out of 5 stars We just love this book - STILL at 3 1/2, Sept. 24 2003
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
My son has had this book forever, but it's still one of his favorites. I always try to make it the last one I read, because it's such a nice calm book. And despite the confusing excercise part, it helps with his bedtime routine. The other night he asked me why they had to "find pajamas, big and small." This led to a discussion about the different sizes of the animals in the book.
Of course, he's had it memorized forever and now "helps" me read it. I will start reading it to my 6 month old now!

4.0 out of 5 stars great, May 24 1999
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
Me and my husband have been reading this book to my 5 month old daughter ever since the day she came home from the hospital, she just loves the book so much. We made the mistake of leaving it at grandmas house,(who lives out of state) and that night she wouldnt go to sleep, so we had to go out the next morning and barrow my sisters book that she bought for her children, so she would go to sleep !!! She loves the book soooo much, and if you want a great bed time story, pick this one !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic Boynton!, May 3 2004
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
Next to Goodnight Moon, this is our top choice for a bedtime read. The text is lulling & the drawings are adorable.
The animals are on a boat (some say this is confusing to children - it is supposed to be silly!) and they are getting ready for bed. They go through the usuals - bathtime, jammies, teeth brushing...with a little goofiness thrown in - a little late night exercise! Just enough for a little grin before settling down.
Classic Boyton!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sun has Set not Long Ago, Oct. 24 2002
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
Great bed time book. The rhymes are fun, and it is a fantastically silly story. My husband and daughter and I have all had this book memorized since she was 6 months old ( she is two and 1/2 now). We love to recite it to one another, and have had to have two copies of the book (ah that teething stage was hard, she chewed right through everything.) We all love Sandra Boynton, she is a reliable read and a lot of fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Boyton Book, Dec 2 2003
K. Todd "buelu" (Elk Grove, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
This is a great Boyton book though it's second to some of her classic ones. I think the story/wording is one of the best but the last few pages do not have any animals on them. Appropriate for the story but my little ones love these books for the goofy pictures so the mundane pics on the last pages are a bit of a let down for them. I would still recommend it though.

The Going-To-Bed Book
The Going-To-Bed Book by Sandra Boynton (Board book - Nov. 30 1982)
CDN$ 6.99 CDN$ 6.64