5.0 out of 5 stars totally engaging, memorizable
Published on Aug. 16 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars strange
I found it quite strange that the animals in the book 'exercised' before going to bed. They took a bath, brushed their teeth, then exercised? It's almost like they forced it to make the words rhyme ('And when the moon is on the rise, they all got up to exercise!). Or maybe I don't get the humor? I just don't want my child to think that exercise is part of bedtime...
Published on Oct. 4 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars totally engaging, memorizable, Aug. 16 1999
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
My seven month old daugther hated her car seat. I have read this book to her so many times I have it memorized. My husband has it memorized and our daughter now 18 months old has it memorized. It continues to be her favorite book. It has stood up to some really heavy use. The rhymes are great. The imagery is easy for kids to understand, ie. brushing teeth, hanging towels on the wall, taking a bath, exercising, sun setting, saying good night. I cherish this book for helping us survive many long trips between KS and MI to visit relatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our bedtime favorite, Dec 28 2006
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
My 28 month old daughter absolutely adores this book, as does her 32 year old mother! It has a remarkably calming effect on her when she's all wound up at the end of the day, and fighting sleep as children her age are wont to do. The wonderful rhythm of the words is soothing, and easy for her to understand. She has begun "reading" along with me, and it's delightful to actually witness her learning. Thank you, Sandra Boynton, for putting your remarkable talent towards such a wonderful thing as children's books!!! My big thanks go also to Boszenna Nowiki for creating inspiring series of children books titled Why some cats are rascals

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing and rhythmic -- puts YOU to sleep for sure!, Feb. 10 2003
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
This book was written years ago
By now all parents HAVE to know
There's no finer way to fall asleep
Than Boynton's bouncy moose and sheep;
If you enjoy her rhyming words
Of geese and mice and bees and birds
There's no finer way to brighten kids' eyes
Than wrapping this up for their surprise!
Better fuel up on caffeine before reading this to your little guys, or its rhythms will soothe you to dreamland before you know it. I don't think this has gotten a bad review yet, so I think I'll just join the crowd in recommending this book to every parent, wannabe parent, or friend/relative of a parent. Or just buy it for yourself and read yourself to sleep... Boynton's classic bouncy animals sure beat counting sheep!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely MEMORY maker!, Sept. 5 2000
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
Tonight while surfing through amazon I stumbled upon Sandra Boynton. Remembering how fond my children were of her board books when they were toddlers, I read a few of the reviews. I laughed and cried thinking about how frequently "The Going To Bed Book" was read in our household and how IMPORTANT it became in our bedtime ritual. Out of curiosity I pulled the old book from our library shelves and went to my kids, now 15, 12 and 9 and began to recite a few lines. *NOTE - I didn't actually NEED the book in order to do this. To my delight each of them perked up, smiled and began to chant the lines right along with me. They remembered the characters, the words, the way we used to read the story. You see, for them the memories of this book are wonderful as well!
Sandra Boynton is gifted at coupling wonderful, readable verse with delightful illustration. Don't miss this book and don't hesitiate to purchase others from her collection. We have HUNDREDS of read aloud childrens books in this house. This ranks right up there with the absolute favorites and should be IMHO amongst the first books read to a cherished babe.
P.S. Don't miss "Doggies" either! If you read this one with FEELING they'll be begging for it time and again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic Boynton!, May 3 2004
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
Next to Goodnight Moon, this is our top choice for a bedtime read. The text is lulling & the drawings are adorable.
The animals are on a boat (some say this is confusing to children - it is supposed to be silly!) and they are getting ready for bed. They go through the usuals - bathtime, jammies, teeth brushing...with a little goofiness thrown in - a little late night exercise! Just enough for a little grin before settling down.
Classic Boyton!!

5.0 out of 5 stars As much fun for the adults as it is for the kids., Dec 10 2000
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
This was my daughter's favorite book when she turned one. Everyone in the household had it memorized. She is about to turn 12 and I can still hear it: "The sun has set not long ago..." You may think this sounds like a mixed blessing, but in fact I loved "The Going the Bed Book" as much as she did. I took great pleasure a few months ago in reading it out loud to a visiting baby girl, who also liked it. Most board books are deadly dull for adults (no matter how delightful they seem to the toddler!) but I always enjoyed Sandra Boynton's books. Now, years later, I still get a kick out of them.
I have long since gotten rid of all the baby books except the Boynton books and "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." They are terrific. Other special favorites are "But Not the Hippopotamus" "Moo-Baa-La-La-La," "Barnyard Dance," and "Birthday Monsters."

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Cute!!! Gotta have it!!!, Jan. 23 2002
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
I bought this book based on reviews and got no huge reaction when my daughter(2) opened it at Christmas. However, the first time we read it, she started memorizing it. The second time: she took the book, went away and sat by herself "reading it" over and over.
The book tells of a variety of cutesy animals(on a boat) getting ready for bed. They go through the ritual of taking a bath, hanging up their towels, finding pajamas, brushing their teeth and then the much controversial exercising. The boat part I thought was a little weird at first but how else are you gonna rock an elephant and a hippopotamus to sleep?
This book didn't help my kids go to sleep or even get them to pick up their towels but it sure brought out a lot of conversation and excitement about reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Oct. 26 2001
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
This book was not what I expected. I thought I was buying something that would show a child going through the bedtime routine, from brushing teeth to reading a bedtime book. Instead what I got was a whimsical poem that features animals on a boat before bedtime. So, I was disappointed at first. However, I can honestly say that my son adores this book. He laughs all the way through it. And when we get to the last verse, "The moon is high, the sea is deep, they rock and rock and rock to sleep" my son always lies down in his crib and grabs his blankie. He knows that at the end of that verse it's time for his own bedtime. So, the book worked after all! It has eased the transition from wakefulness to sleep. I would recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Again, again, again . . . zzzzzzz, Aug. 10 2000
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
This is an enjoyable bedtime book with the customary adorable Boynton fantastic animals. One and all, big and small, this boatload of animals undertakes a bedtime routine. They wash up, put on pajamas, brush their teeth and get ready for bed. Although some parts require a limited suspension of logic (as adults, we would never exercise in our pajamas on deck, under the moon, immediately before retreating to the bedchamber), the flow is rythmic and relaxing. The biggest problem is that, like all Boynton books, it is so short that you will read it again and again and again. Still, it is not so annoying that you will mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calming Book for Bedtime, But Also Funny and Engaging!, Nov. 17 2000
M. Allen Greenbaum (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Going-To-Bed Book (Board book)
Sandra Boynton's colorful board book is a bedtime treat! An assortment of expressive animals gets ready for bed aboard a giant boat. Boynton amusingly shows then bathing, dressing, brushing teeth ("With some on top and some beneath, they brush and brush and brush their teeth."), and exercising together.
It closes with the animals settling down for the night: "They rock and rock and rock to sleep." Graced by Boynton's well-known illustrations and rhythmic, lullabye-like poetry, this is a great book for infants and toddlers alike. It's one of those books you'll keep long after the kid(s) grow up.

The Going-To-Bed Book
The Going-To-Bed Book by Sandra Boynton (Board book - Nov. 30 1982)
CDN$ 6.99 CDN$ 6.64