4.0 out of 5 stars Carnegie's done it again
Published on March 23 2003 by Kent

2.0 out of 5 stars Cliche Read Today
Reading this book was a little tiring. While the ideas may have been original at one point in time, today it reads like one cliche after another. I'm dropping off after reading 50% of the book.
I wouldn't recommend this book except for, perhaps, its historical significance.
My experience was a little surprising to me as I really enjoyed How to Make Friends...
Published on June 12 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Carnegie's done it again, March 23 2003
It seems like such a silly thing to have to read a book on how to stop worrying, but trust me; you'll never learn as much any other way. Once again, Dale Carnegie proves to be the expert on self-motivation. Certainly this book won't cure you, but it will give you advice and insight on the better life you should be leading. A remarkably easy read. I do have one problem with Carnegie's book; he seems to focus a lot on religion, and to anyone who isn't "hip" with religion will find it distasteful. Also, I actually enjoyed his other book, How to Win Friends, more, but How to Stop Worrying is a nice addition into the self-help fanatic's library. If anything, it will slap you in the face and remind you that life is too important to waste time worrying about superficial matters. Some of us need that slap in the face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tips, Oct. 10 2009
Frederic Collette (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
Sorry, English is not my first language.. At the end of the book, there are many little stories of people who have overcome their worries. I read that part before sleep in my bed, and I will never forget it. Someone explained that he lived with the arabs for 6-7 years and observed they had very little worry. I was impressed because I understood a little part of the way they see life and I took some ideas from this..and it works. Also another story talked about a guy understanding that train drivers cannot prevent or see everything that could happen on the way, they relies on lights... meaning that you cannot prevent too much, you must trust that a red light will show up when there's a problem.. your attention will naturally get to it. In my case, this book was worth the little price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful!, March 20 2001
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
Dale Carnegie compiles time tested wisdom in this book of principles on how to avoid worrying about problems you can't affect. Carnegie outlines some basic principles to help you stop worrying. He draws from common sense, from people who have achieved peace and happiness, and from the sayings of philosophers, business leaders and others. Although Carnegie wrote his book in the 1940's and some of his examples may seem dated, his basic principles are timeless - in fact, ahead of his time. He presents them in an easy-to-read, personal way. He draws on his own and other people's experiences to show a number of techniques for letting go of worries and becoming more productive. We at getAbstract recommend this self-development classic to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember..., Dec 8 2003
By A Customer
This is a very down to earth book. He talks to you like an uncle. Ive read the Dahli llamas Art of Happieness, and this is like a layman version of that.
But remember that these ideas can easily be forgotton when you put the book down. Dale even says that. Rememeber to keep reading this every few months to keep the ideas in your head. Habits are HARD to break.
Read it a few times

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, even my 9 year old loves it, July 11 2004
By A Customer
I have a great life but have always been crippled by worry. This book (audio CD) has really helped. I listed to it on CDs while I drive on long journeys. I have heard it a few times and imagine I will continue to listen to it periodically as long as I live.
I recently took an 8 hour drive and had 4 of the disks it in my CD player and my 9 year old son loved them. I turned it off a few times to see if he was paying attention and he asked that I put it back on instead of his own music CD. At the end of every section my son and I talked about what the section meant. I found the CD very helpful for me but I am absolutely blown away that my 9 year old son seems to be touched by it as well. He loved the stories.
My family has been happier and calmer as a result of this CD. This was the best purchase I have made. I loved how to win friends but this CD was much better for me since worry is a major problem in my life.
If you are fighting worry, buy this book or CD. It is money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reassurance in a book, July 7 2004
I love this book as it really reminds you of what is important in life.
We all have times in our lives when we worry but where does it ever get us? I have the added problem of worrying about my worrying which may seem laughable but it is very frustrating as I don't actually have anything to worry about if I remember to just live in the present. All of my fears lie in the future.
This book is able to reassure the worrying reader by reminding us time and time again how worrying doesn't get us anywhere but also that many other people (including many famous historical figures)have struggled and overcome these problems too.
Although there are many anecdotes in the book (and I have noted that other reviewers have disliked this about it) I believe that this is necessary in order to keep hitting home the fact that there are so many things that people can worry about but that there are always solutions or at least different ways to think about things.
It offers peace of mind and faith that you can pull yourself out of the rut you think yourself into without resorting to therapists or anti-depressants.
It does need to be used as a life guide so be prepared to re-read from time to time, not necessarily just when you feel all your worries getting the better of you.
To get the most out of this book you need to be prepared to take on board all that he and many others have said and to be pro-active in changing the way you handle and view your worries. I do believe that we all have the ability to do this so don't worry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Age-old advice still useful today, May 15 2004
By A Customer
This is my first Amazon.com review, but I was compelled to write since I found this book to have such a positive impact on my outlook on life.
I picked up this book at least twice over the year, and put it back thinking that the information contained was probably no longer relevant or useful since it was written so long ago (1945). Instead, I bought other, more up-to-date books that didn't help my chronic worrying in the least. Finally, I bought this book - and was amazed to find this one little book has begun to change my outlook on life. True, the stories ARE old - some of them are about World War II veterans or people struggling through the Depression - but instead of finding them irrelevant, it instead made me realize two things - that people have been battling chronic worry for a long time (and that I am not alone) AND these people faced a lot more troubles that I have and were still able to overcome their fears and worries.
It's true what other reviewers say - Carnegie does fill the book with age-old idioms (he quotes Lincoln, George Bernard Shaw and William James). But he puts it into such a context that I would often put the book down, and think, "He's right! I never thought of it that way."
I've been through therapy and counselling, and it hasn't helped as much as this one little book. Whenever I start to feel anxious or have nagging worries, I turn to this book and read one of the many passages I have highlighted and I feel better instantly. Admittedly, this book may not help you if you have a severe anxiety disorder or depression. But if you are a chronic worrier, like me, you may find this book to be as invaluable as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Was Like A Life Preserver..., Dec 22 2003
D. Charles "wonderfulme" (Everett, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
Tossed to me at a time in my life when I was drowning in my worries. Oh, my worries were real enough, I had good cause to worry! Everyone said so. My husband died suddenly, then my teenage daughter got into drugs, dropped out of school and ran away! I worried so much my hair fell out!! And this went on for several YEARS! In this book I met other people who had good cause to worry, too. Those who shared their life experiences with Dale Carnegie, and gave him their best coping techniques so that he could compile them in a single text. They talked about how they dealt with the fear of war, or illness, or poverty, or lonliness and the worst one of all: despair. I read it over and over. I clung to the stories of people rising above their circumstances and making it through hard times. This book is FILLED with things you can do IMMEDIATELY to improve your life, practical concepts that REALLY WORK. Even though I am in a happier place in life at this time, I thank God for this book and the calm it brought me during my toughest years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet brilliant, Dec 18 2002
obediah (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
In a world fall of Prozac and expensive therapists, this book is a refreshing change. The book provides a set of very simple principles that you can apply to your life to stop worrying.
The book is well written and very easy to read. The chapters are short and therefore easy to absorb. The lessons are not profound. Rather, the book reminds us of simple things that we may have forgotten. It chides us for worrying about trivial things, for worrying about things that we cannot change and for worrying about things that may never pass.
The book may seem slightly dated nevertheless its basic tenets are sound. The one thing I did not like about the book was its overuse of stories and anecdotes. The book would make a point and then use quite a number of stories to support the point. I think this was excessive. One or two supporting anecdotes would have been sufficient.
Overall this book has made a change to the way that I view the world. If we all stepped back and objectively analysed our current lives, most of us would realise how fortunate we are to enjoy the privileges that we do today. Strongly recommended for anyone currently living the modern day, hectic, stress filled lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Stress Antidote, Jan. 16 2002
William Hare (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
Dale Carnegie was realistic enough to recognize that in a stress-filled, highly competitive society people would often be disposed toward reaching a point of exclaiming despairfully, "Enough already!" This master success mindset creator empathizes with people feeling acute frustration and lacking confidence, offering instructive examples of how the world's great achievers and beacons of inspirational thought confronted frustration and despair.
One of my favorite examples from this powerful book is that of the New York mogul who was told by doctors that his condition was irretrievably fatal and that the only thing he could do was try and enjoy the little time which remained to him. He was informed that he could extend the time remaining to a limited degree by being careful of what he ate and seeing that he did not tax himself.
With those thoughts in mind, the mogul boarded a boat for presumably his final journey abroad. After the ship got out to sea and the New Yorker had nothing but time to think, surrounded by blue water on all sides, he decided to throw caution to the winds and enjoy what time remained to him. He began to eat what he wanted, disdaining medical advice, as well as jettisoning cautionary warnings about overtaxing himself. The next thing he knew he had infused himself with such joy of living that he began gaining weight, strength, and stamina, not to mention enjoying himself thoroughly. By the time he reached Europe he was a new man and the presumably fatal illness was no more than a bad dream in his memory bank.
Carnegie recalls a delightful Thanksgiving dinner he had with Jack Dempsey in a New York restaurant. Dempsey explained how, initially, after having lost his heavyweight championship to Gene Tunney, he decided to concentrate, instead of feeling depressed, on accomplishing good and enjoying himself at the same time. Dempsey told Carnegie that in looking back he was actually a happier man in the years following what could have been a bitter disappointment, after losing his title, than in his glory days when he reigned as world heavyweight championship. His determined mental attitude paved the way.
Carnegie also relates how he conquered adversity to become famous. A shy youngster growing up in rural Missouri, he was overcome by self-doubt after moving to New York City. He decided to conquer his shyness by becoming an adept public speaker. Since the challenge was so difficult he concentrated intensely and spent much time and effort learning about the proper elements of speaking. He also concentrated on the realm of overall self-improvement, as well as focusing on the subject of acquisition of confidence. He became so adept that he became the world's foremost authority on the subject of achieving success through developing confidence. Carnegie's common sense approach is as timely now as when he developed it.

How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie (Hardcover - March 1984)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01