4.0 out of 5 stars Carnegie's done it again
Published on March 23 2003 by Kent

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but not indispensible
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living was written for those who often forget about today and think about tomorrow. Even though it was written some time ago, the advice given in this book can still be useful to anyone who aspires to live a joyful life.

Worry can take many forms: insomnia, difficulties to concentrate, symptoms of sickness. The message in this...
Published on April 20 2008 by B. Piché

4.0 out of 5 stars Carnegie's done it again, March 23 2003
It seems like such a silly thing to have to read a book on how to stop worrying, but trust me; you'll never learn as much any other way. Once again, Dale Carnegie proves to be the expert on self-motivation. Certainly this book won't cure you, but it will give you advice and insight on the better life you should be leading. A remarkably easy read. I do have one problem with Carnegie's book; he seems to focus a lot on religion, and to anyone who isn't "hip" with religion will find it distasteful. Also, I actually enjoyed his other book, How to Win Friends, more, but How to Stop Worrying is a nice addition into the self-help fanatic's library. If anything, it will slap you in the face and remind you that life is too important to waste time worrying about superficial matters. Some of us need that slap in the face.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book is Like Compound-W for Worry Warts, Nov. 29 2010
Dale Carnegie wrote some great books back in the 30's and 40's, and this book is one of them- Carnegie fans won't be disappointed.

The writing style is classic Carnegie. To put it simply, the guy just writes like he talks. This makes for a very friendly and easy to understand book, rather like a good friend giving you a piece of advice.

And a lot of advice he gives. The book is divided up into ten sections, each one tackling some aspect of worrying. I could give you a rundown of the topics, but you don't really need me to repeat the table on contents to decide if you want to read the book. Rather, let me just say that book covers just about every major "worry issue" that might be causing a troubled mind, such as your work, your finances, other people's criticisms- and them some.

While there are no earth-shattering, never-before-seen tips in the book, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend it to anyone who is looking to ease their mind a bit. That's because it does a GREAT job of conveying simple wisdom that really make you think good and hard about why you're worrying and if those things are really worth worrying about at all.

In short, its a bestseller because it makes a lot of sense and its advice can do a lot to re-frame your thinking about things. And if you can re-frame your thinking, well, you've about found the best "Compound-W" for worry warts. Readers who enjoyed this book might also enjoy Finding Happiness in a Frustrating World.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tips, Oct. 10 2009
Frederic Collette (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
Sorry, English is not my first language.. At the end of the book, there are many little stories of people who have overcome their worries. I read that part before sleep in my bed, and I will never forget it. Someone explained that he lived with the arabs for 6-7 years and observed they had very little worry. I was impressed because I understood a little part of the way they see life and I took some ideas from this..and it works. Also another story talked about a guy understanding that train drivers cannot prevent or see everything that could happen on the way, they relies on lights... meaning that you cannot prevent too much, you must trust that a red light will show up when there's a problem.. your attention will naturally get to it. In my case, this book was worth the little price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful!, March 20 2001
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
Dale Carnegie compiles time tested wisdom in this book of principles on how to avoid worrying about problems you can't affect. Carnegie outlines some basic principles to help you stop worrying. He draws from common sense, from people who have achieved peace and happiness, and from the sayings of philosophers, business leaders and others. Although Carnegie wrote his book in the 1940's and some of his examples may seem dated, his basic principles are timeless - in fact, ahead of his time. He presents them in an easy-to-read, personal way. He draws on his own and other people's experiences to show a number of techniques for letting go of worries and becoming more productive. We at getAbstract recommend this self-development classic to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember..., Dec 8 2003
By A Customer
This is a very down to earth book. He talks to you like an uncle. Ive read the Dahli llamas Art of Happieness, and this is like a layman version of that.
But remember that these ideas can easily be forgotton when you put the book down. Dale even says that. Rememeber to keep reading this every few months to keep the ideas in your head. Habits are HARD to break.
Read it a few times

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Common Sense Advice, Dec 17 2011
Laura De Giorgio "hypnotherapist" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
In How To Stop Worrying and Start Living, Dale Carnegie shares practical tips to help people to stop worry and eliminate at least some types of depression.

The book begins with advice from the Bible "Have no thought for tomorrow", in a sense that one should focus on what one can do today - do the best that one can do now, and leave the rest to God. If we do the best we can do every moment of our lives, then there is no point in worrying about anything.

Here is a list of tips for a worry-free life, from this book, one can commit to live day by day:

Just for Today
I will be happy
I will try to adjust myself to what is.
I will take care of my body.
I will try to strengthen my mind by learning something new.
I will exercise my soul.
I will do something good for others.
I will be agreeable.
I will look as best as I can, dress as becoming as I can, act courteously, be liberal with praise, avoid criticizing and not try to regulate anyone (in other words "live - and let live")
I will try to live through this day only.
I will take half an hour to relax and I will think of God (or whatever to you stands for that which is greater your individual self), in order to get a better perspective on my life.
I will be unafraid to be happy, to enjoy my life, to love and to believe that those I love, love me.

Greater part of this book contains stories from the lives of people who developed all kinds of health problems from worrying, and who decided to change their ways, be grateful for what they have, do the best they can with what they have, and share their blessings with the world.

People worry for different reasons, and Dale Carnegie has compiled stories that relate to just about any kind of worry - worry due to genuine problems one has to deal with, worry due to imaginary problems that may or may not happen, worry and depression due to some tragic event in one's life.

Since we can focus our mind only one one thing at any given point in time, one can diminish worry by keeping oneself busy physically and mentally, engaged in some productive and constructive activity.

Some problems may be foreseen and of course when the person tends to encounter similar worrisome situation, one may brainstorm the possible solutions and pick what seems to best help solve the problem. And since it's hard to think of solution when one's mind is preoccupied with worrying, it is helpful considering the worst thing that can happen, accepting the worst case scenario, and then when one is at peace with it, contemplating workable ways on how can one improve on the situation.

Regardless of one's spiritual affiliation (or lack of it), it is much easier embracing uncertainty when one chooses to believe that even though one may not know what to do, there is a greater intelligence and power that has the solution to the challenge one is facing and is wiling and able to guide the individual - for some it may be God, for others it may be the power of one's subconscious (or superconscious) mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, even my 9 year old loves it, July 11 2004
By A Customer
I have a great life but have always been crippled by worry. This book (audio CD) has really helped. I listed to it on CDs while I drive on long journeys. I have heard it a few times and imagine I will continue to listen to it periodically as long as I live.
I recently took an 8 hour drive and had 4 of the disks it in my CD player and my 9 year old son loved them. I turned it off a few times to see if he was paying attention and he asked that I put it back on instead of his own music CD. At the end of every section my son and I talked about what the section meant. I found the CD very helpful for me but I am absolutely blown away that my 9 year old son seems to be touched by it as well. He loved the stories.
My family has been happier and calmer as a result of this CD. This was the best purchase I have made. I loved how to win friends but this CD was much better for me since worry is a major problem in my life.
If you are fighting worry, buy this book or CD. It is money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reassurance in a book, July 7 2004
I love this book as it really reminds you of what is important in life.
We all have times in our lives when we worry but where does it ever get us? I have the added problem of worrying about my worrying which may seem laughable but it is very frustrating as I don't actually have anything to worry about if I remember to just live in the present. All of my fears lie in the future.
This book is able to reassure the worrying reader by reminding us time and time again how worrying doesn't get us anywhere but also that many other people (including many famous historical figures)have struggled and overcome these problems too.
Although there are many anecdotes in the book (and I have noted that other reviewers have disliked this about it) I believe that this is necessary in order to keep hitting home the fact that there are so many things that people can worry about but that there are always solutions or at least different ways to think about things.
It offers peace of mind and faith that you can pull yourself out of the rut you think yourself into without resorting to therapists or anti-depressants.
It does need to be used as a life guide so be prepared to re-read from time to time, not necessarily just when you feel all your worries getting the better of you.
To get the most out of this book you need to be prepared to take on board all that he and many others have said and to be pro-active in changing the way you handle and view your worries. I do believe that we all have the ability to do this so don't worry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Age-old advice still useful today, May 15 2004
By A Customer
This is my first Amazon.com review, but I was compelled to write since I found this book to have such a positive impact on my outlook on life.
I picked up this book at least twice over the year, and put it back thinking that the information contained was probably no longer relevant or useful since it was written so long ago (1945). Instead, I bought other, more up-to-date books that didn't help my chronic worrying in the least. Finally, I bought this book - and was amazed to find this one little book has begun to change my outlook on life. True, the stories ARE old - some of them are about World War II veterans or people struggling through the Depression - but instead of finding them irrelevant, it instead made me realize two things - that people have been battling chronic worry for a long time (and that I am not alone) AND these people faced a lot more troubles that I have and were still able to overcome their fears and worries.
It's true what other reviewers say - Carnegie does fill the book with age-old idioms (he quotes Lincoln, George Bernard Shaw and William James). But he puts it into such a context that I would often put the book down, and think, "He's right! I never thought of it that way."
I've been through therapy and counselling, and it hasn't helped as much as this one little book. Whenever I start to feel anxious or have nagging worries, I turn to this book and read one of the many passages I have highlighted and I feel better instantly. Admittedly, this book may not help you if you have a severe anxiety disorder or depression. But if you are a chronic worrier, like me, you may find this book to be as invaluable as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Was Like A Life Preserver..., Dec 22 2003
D. Charles "wonderfulme" (Everett, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
Tossed to me at a time in my life when I was drowning in my worries. Oh, my worries were real enough, I had good cause to worry! Everyone said so. My husband died suddenly, then my teenage daughter got into drugs, dropped out of school and ran away! I worried so much my hair fell out!! And this went on for several YEARS! In this book I met other people who had good cause to worry, too. Those who shared their life experiences with Dale Carnegie, and gave him their best coping techniques so that he could compile them in a single text. They talked about how they dealt with the fear of war, or illness, or poverty, or lonliness and the worst one of all: despair. I read it over and over. I clung to the stories of people rising above their circumstances and making it through hard times. This book is FILLED with things you can do IMMEDIATELY to improve your life, practical concepts that REALLY WORK. Even though I am in a happier place in life at this time, I thank God for this book and the calm it brought me during my toughest years.

How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie (Hardcover - March 1984)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01