4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, but the ending seemed lame.
Ann Rule took a long time to establish her characters at first. However; once you get mid-way through the book, you realize it is because the characters are complex. This book is very intense. It is hard to put down at times. The only thing I did not like was the ending. When I finished reading the novel, I felt like I missed something. It seemed to end wrong.
Published on Oct. 28 1997

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to True Crime
Published on Oct. 25 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to True Crime, Oct. 25 2001
This review is from: Possession (Mass Market Paperback)
Anne Rule should stick to true crime, I purchased this book thinking it would be a great read and I got very bored with it. The story is vaguely familiar and it just didn't flow right. At the end, it seemed that even Ann bored of it and had to finish it off somehow. It reads more like a male sex fantasy and the female character is so weak that she succumbs so easily kind of threw me. I thought the story would be more like "Kiss the Girls" where the victim has to fight to live and overcomes the horrendous fear. It just left me feeling that it was a waste of time reading it. It was meant to be a psychological thriller but it didn't achieve that for me as an avid true crime reader. I've read better from her and I was disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs more surprises and thrills, Feb. 3 2000
This review is from: Possession (Mass Market Paperback)
I almost didn't finish reading Ms. Rule's first work of fiction. She deals with a sinister side of humanity where a reader probably won't find much to admire in any of the characters. They are all flawed with alcoholism, career burnout, or ignorance. As the main characters were being developed, I became somewhat depressed. The story becomes chilling on the camping trip, but I desperately needed more mystery and surprises in the story than I received. I enjoyed seeing Sam's attorney work her legal magic in the pre-trial stage, and I was fairly satisfied with the ending. Although Ms. Rule has obvious talent as a writer, there is other more satisfying fiction in your bookstore dying to be read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ann Rule's finest erotic work., July 14 2001
John Smith (Parts Unknown) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Possession (Mass Market Paperback)
Ann Rule wrote the story of a young couple on a camping trip from Hell! The hero is murdered and the murderer is sexually obsessed with his sexy young wife, Joanne Lindstrom. He captures her, strips and rapes her several times over, and the poor victim is helpless in the woods and grows dependent on the evil "Red Man" She even falls in love with him, and he succeeds in planting his seed in her belly. This sounds like some wild male rape fantasy, but Ms. Rule wrote it, not I. Strange crime story, with highly explicit rape scenes. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Far Fetched, Sept. 20 1998
A. LaMattina "Avid Reader" (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Possession (Mass Market Paperback)
A hard-working cop and a bored housewife want a romantic get-away in hopes that she will conceive. Why in God's name would they choose a camping trip, in the middle of nowhere, with bugs, snakes and wild animals. The relationship that ensues between wifey and the stranger is also a stretch.I had to force myself to finish this book. For someone who writes TRUE stories this was a far cry from anything believable. Ms. Rule's true crime stories are excellent. Needless to say, I was disappointed with this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars I prefer Ann's true crime books, Oct. 9 2002
This review is from: Possession (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a very big fan of Ann Rule's true crime books. When I bought this book I thought it was another true crime story because the spine of the paperback version is labelled "Non-fiction" and the book was in the True Crime section of the bookstore. I was really disappointed when I realized that it was a novel. It wasn't a bad story but certainly wasn't as interesting as Ann's true crime books. I still love and respect Ann Rule as a writer but hope she'll stick to true crime.

1.0 out of 5 stars what was that?, June 16 2001
Courtney E. Sivewright (Bellevue, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Possession (Mass Market Paperback)
I have every Ann Rule true crime book and have loved every page of them so i happily purchased this book expecting more of her greatness....what I ended up getting was a poor excuse for a book with a female character so weak I couldn't even bring myself to finish the book....
This is one Ann Rule book that could disappear from the shelves and it wouldn't upset me one bit.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, but the ending seemed lame., Oct. 28 1997

5.0 out of 5 stars erotic, March 18 2002
This review is from: Possession (Mass Market Paperback)
This fabulous graphic encounter left me trembling with excitement. This is now a favorite of my books with pages that it opens right up too having been turned to them so often. I am a woman and I found this story truly and deeply exciting. In fact, I hope to purchase a new one soon so that my older copy does not fall apart!

1.0 out of 5 stars SHAMEFUL!, Feb. 23 2000
This review is from: Possession (Mass Market Paperback)
First I want to say that I am probably the biggest Ann Rule fan, I have read every non-fiction book she has ever written...but I was shocked that she would even attempt a fictional book! I feel there is so much REAL CRIME out there, why would anyone want to make up something like this up? This was a big disappointment!

1.0 out of 5 stars SHAMEFUL!, Feb. 23 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Possession
Possession by Ann Rule (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 1 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01