Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on February 3, 2000
I almost didn't finish reading Ms. Rule's first work of fiction. She deals with a sinister side of humanity where a reader probably won't find much to admire in any of the characters. They are all flawed with alcoholism, career burnout, or ignorance. As the main characters were being developed, I became somewhat depressed. The story becomes chilling on the camping trip, but I desperately needed more mystery and surprises in the story than I received. I enjoyed seeing Sam's attorney work her legal magic in the pre-trial stage, and I was fairly satisfied with the ending. Although Ms. Rule has obvious talent as a writer, there is other more satisfying fiction in your bookstore dying to be read.
on July 14, 2001
Ann Rule wrote the story of a young couple on a camping trip from Hell! The hero is murdered and the murderer is sexually obsessed with his sexy young wife, Joanne Lindstrom. He captures her, strips and rapes her several times over, and the poor victim is helpless in the woods and grows dependent on the evil "Red Man" She even falls in love with him, and he succeeds in planting his seed in her belly. This sounds like some wild male rape fantasy, but Ms. Rule wrote it, not I. Strange crime story, with highly explicit rape scenes. Highly recommended.
on October 9, 2002
I am a very big fan of Ann Rule's true crime books. When I bought this book I thought it was another true crime story because the spine of the paperback version is labelled "Non-fiction" and the book was in the True Crime section of the bookstore. I was really disappointed when I realized that it was a novel. It wasn't a bad story but certainly wasn't as interesting as Ann's true crime books. I still love and respect Ann Rule as a writer but hope she'll stick to true crime.
on June 16, 2001
I have every Ann Rule true crime book and have loved every page of them so i happily purchased this book expecting more of her greatness....what I ended up getting was a poor excuse for a book with a female character so weak I couldn't even bring myself to finish the book....
This is one Ann Rule book that could disappear from the shelves and it wouldn't upset me one bit.
on October 28, 1997
Ann Rule took a long time to establish her characters at first. However; once you get mid-way through the book, you realize it is because the characters are complex. This book is very intense. It is hard to put down at times. The only thing I did not like was the ending. When I finished reading the novel, I felt like I missed something. It seemed to end wrong.
on March 18, 2002
This fabulous graphic encounter left me trembling with excitement. This is now a favorite of my books with pages that it opens right up too having been turned to them so often. I am a woman and I found this story truly and deeply exciting. In fact, I hope to purchase a new one soon so that my older copy does not fall apart!
on February 23, 2000
First I want to say that I am probably the biggest Ann Rule fan, I have read every non-fiction book she has ever written...but I was shocked that she would even attempt a fictional book! I feel there is so much REAL CRIME out there, why would anyone want to make up something like this up? This was a big disappointment!
on February 23, 2000
on July 19, 1998
This was my first time reading a Ann Rule fictional book. And I loved it! I could not put it down! The polt is great, it keeps you qlued to the book. On a minous side this book as a highly explicated sexual side, which might afend some readers. Other than that I think this book is a great pleace of writing!
on April 4, 2000
I am the first to tout Ann Rule's writing and investigative brilliance, but this writing was NOT her finest hour. It read like a bad Harliquin sex novel, only longer! I will continue to devour anything by this talented writer, as long as it remains in the non-fiction realm.