5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga From the Inside Out
Published on Feb. 2 2003 by louienapoli

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not the best
The first few chapters seemed like the usual mumbo jumbo. He went to India and saw a guru and learned some important "values". The second section where he describes about breathing and asanas is the most useful along with his description of how to do the poses. I think he is also over-elaborate in doing the poses.
Published on June 28 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga From the Inside Out, Feb. 2 2003
This review is from: Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness (Paperback)
One of the best books on hatha yoga ever. There's nothing difficult to understand or apply. But the material will probably change the way you practice. It certainly did for me. I've been practicing yoga, on and off, for about ten years. I've taken classes with terrific teachers and even an agonizing series of 6 a.m. seminars with K. Pattabhi Jois. Yoga never got beyond the physical for me until I read Schiffman's book. Sometimes I wondered what the real difference was between a good hatha yogi and a contortionist. That question has been answered. Schiffman teaches the internals of yoga. His focus is on mobilizing the body's intrinsic energy--qi or prana--in each posture. The postures act as energy templates, he explains, but it's necessary to understand the lines of flow and circulation. He makes this very easy to understand and apply. And when you do, the external technique improves and you become precise without thinking about every distracting detail. Also, Schiffman's approach is beautiful. He teaches you to sense your limits and learn when you want to stay well within them, and when you want to push them. This is a method of gentle, "occasional healthy pain, tremendous gain." Schiffman is schooled in the Iyengar and Desikachar approaches. Precision is important to him. But he's taken it a quantum step farther. With Iyengar's Light on Yoga and Donna Farhi's Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit, Schiffman's book completes a trinity of the three most impressive, helpful books on hatha yoga I've seen, regardless of which style you practice or your level of skill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend for Instructors and level 1/2 students, June 16 2004
Laura Hanon (Tulsa, OK United States) - See all my reviews
After all these years, this is the book I come back to when I am stuck in my practice and need a little inspiration. If you are a beginner student, don't be scared off by some reviewers who say this book is not for you. If you are drawn to this book, then that is enough. You will learn plenty and grow with this book and find your bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoga, philosophy sans terminology, April 23 2003
Ashwini Aragam (Worcester, PA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after reading a recommendation off a listmania list. Wish I had this earlier.
The book is fascinating; without going into the terminology of Yoga, the author tells you what Yoga is all about; how it affects the mind; why should one do postures; how he came to choose Yoga and stick with it. I had hitherto read a lot of hard-core philosophy of Yoga - the sutras, the translations, etc, but reading Erich's book gives you a simpler translation of the both process and the outcome.
A student of Jiddu Krishnamurthy, the author easily and fluently speaks Yoga; the Who am I excercise in helping one to know oneself is a simple and profound way of getting deeper into our consciousness. If you ever thought why you should do Yoga at all, read the chapter on "Why Yoga?" and ye shall be convinced.
The coverage on postures, while detailed and broken into numerous steps, are a bit long-ish for a quick read; but that is what Yoga is about - no quick lunch anytime.
Another highlight of the book is the various sets of routines one can follow for all levels of students.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifetime companion, Feb. 29 2004
E. Gilbert (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
After dipping into and out of various yoga and meditation texts -- and their accompanying philosophical bases -- I can say this book is the best I have ever found. I use it daily, it encourages both thoughtful contemplation and regular mindful practice without a lot of gobblydygook. Schiffmann's style is both easy and surprisingly far-reaching. I highly recommend this to anyone wanting to center themselves and learn to sit still.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource for students and teachers., Jan. 28 2004
By A Customer
My practice has taken on a new depth after reading this book. I am grateful that I can share this with my students. Be skeptical and find out for yourself. This book will change your yoga... for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ONLY YOGA BOOK YOU'LL NEED, May 2 2001
If you buy only one yoga book, this is the one. By a mile. Practically glutted with commonsense advice, especially from the mental point of view, here at last is a book that can take you a long long way in the privacy of your own home. Particularly useful is the exquisitely detailed information on the poses. Information that may at first seem like overkill, but isn't. Instead what you have is a comprehensive system for progressing slowly, naturally, and correctly. I love the author's comments on "feeling your edges" and "lines of energy" which really open your eyes right up. Superb photos. And an outstanding description of ujjayi breathing -- a difficult concept to describe but done beautifully here. A brilliant book which took 10 years to write. Good things obviously take time. My only advice is when it comes to meditation, take a look at Lorin Roche's, "Meditation Made Easy." Or Roche and Maurine's, "Meditation Secrets for Women." With these three books in your possession, you'll be cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for anyone new to yoga, Feb. 9 2009
R. Vlad (Canada) - See all my reviews
I consider it a very good resource. I have been new to yoga and practice by myself using different yoga DVDs. Initially I was practicing yoga mostly as fitness exercises. Reading the book I have been realizing what should I feel and how should I feel about different poses and how to integrate the poses with breathing. I consider it an excellent book for anyone new to yoga.

5.0 out of 5 stars read if you need peace, Nov. 25 2003
Whether you want to spend your life studying yoga or just have a curiousity about yoga, you should read this book. The author's words sound like they are being spoken directly to you. They are both clear but insightful, explaining complexities in the most understandable way.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most amazing teacher, the most amazing book!, Jan. 4 2010
Erich, thank You for your book.
Your teachings are such a high level of consciousness and yet you bring these issue to life in the most down to earth approachable way.
You have helped me make conscious contact with stillness, understanding the essence of yoga and thereby enable me to share this information with my students.
I love the classes I have been fortunate enough to attend with you, and now finally having read your book, I thank you for your inspiring, motivating, life affirming information.
You are one of a kind and I think every one practicing yoga no matter what style, Should Read this book!
Thank You!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual book by an interesting teacher, Sept. 27 2002
PrisC (Cape Coral, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Erich, if you have ever experienced his teaching in person, is an interesting teacher. He has a very exploratory nature when it comes to yoga and frequently practices at home and makes up new postures as he goes. He has a pretty lengthy book here that has a lot to offer that you may not have seen quite that way before. If you are interested in a fresh new look at yoga, this book could be for you!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa0029ac8)

Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness by Erich Schiffmann (Paperback - Dec 1 1996)
CDN$ 22.99 CDN$ 16.60