5.0 out of 5 stars Page turning romatic suspense!
I am a new comer to reading Linda Howard and I absolutly loved this book! I also read 'Kill & Tell' prior. In that book, I loved how she introduced us to the characters that would star in her next book! The book had me staying up late, reading during lunch, I just could not put it down! A job well done! Keep those novels coming!
Published on Jan. 4 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars For those looking for something different...
Linda Howard continues to write an exciting story you can't put down. This novel, like her most recent books in the last 5 years, continues to be unusual for the following reasons: 1) She has taken a big step away from the romance genre with this one. 2) This is an espionage novel for people sick of standard espionage novels. E.g. Chapter after chapter of boring...
Published on June 5 2000 by Uqob

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and Thrilling Novel, June 30 2004
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
All The Queen's Men is an emotional novel which packs the same punch as another Linda Howard book I read recently, Cry No More. What these novels both have in common is HEARTACHE - the characters have tragic pasts, baggage from previous relationships and at the same time are dealing with serious and dangerous situations. All in all, this leads to a read which can seem bittersweet at times and is definitely not as carefree as other Howard romances such as Dream Man or Heart of Fire.
Niema and John are likeable, well-rounded characters. Niema is still grieving for her loving, tough late husband when John comes back into her life. She is a charming mix of toughness and vulnerability, and I really liked her. John is the typical 'hard man' who is smarting from how his first marriage ended and, to some extent, is unable to express his true feelings because of his dangerous job. The relationship between the two definitely seems meant to be and most of their interactions are a mix of passion, tenderness and love.
As other reviewers have mentioned the ending is quite abrupt, but it made me cry anyway because I was so happy for them both. Overall I was unable to leave this novel for a moment while I was reading it, but I don't reread it often simply because it makes me feel sad - despite the happy ending. I can't help but think that their lives will be hard because John will always have to look over his shoulder and be ready for an old enemy to attack him and Niema again.
JoAnne

4.0 out of 5 stars ALL THE QUEEN'S MEN, April 3 2004
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
I actually would want to give this book a 5 star rating, but I was a tad disappointed w/ the ending of the story. Looks like the end of the story was written too fast, and there was no mention of our hero's plans when the story ended, like what kind of a future is in store for them after this mission. I think an epilogue or another chapter should have been added to give the readers a knowledge of what has happened after this.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's more like 4 1/2 stars...., Jan. 10 2004
Christine H. (Running Springs, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
I've recently become a big fan of Linda Howards and have been buying up most of her books. I had read "Kill and Tell" a few months ago and became very intrigued with one of it's characters, John Medina, a CIA operative. This book is actually Johns story.
The first part of the book starts off in Iran, 5 years earlier. John is on assignment with several other people, including Niema and her husband Dallas Burdock (a Navy SEAL). During the operation Dallas is killed and John helps Niema escape. Now to the present. John has always had a thing for Niema but had stayed away because he wanted her to find happiness. Now they are sent on a mission together and he decides he doesn't want to give her up. The rest of the story is about their mission which I won't spoil.
Now some reviewers had a problem with the first time John and Niema make love. Some even said it bordered on rape. I didn't see it like that. Niema's reluctance to make love to John had nothing to do with her being unwilling. She just didn't like the location of where it happened and I don't blame her.
Some reviewers felt that at times John was too cold. Again I didn't see that. He was controlled and in his line of work you would have to be. There were times, like when he was bandaging her feet, that I felt he was very sweet.
There were only two things I didn't like about the story. One was John is always portrayed as "wanting" Niema but I would have like to have heard him say he loved her. The second was the sightseeing trip toward the end of the book. I'm sorry but if your being chased by a bunch of goons your not going to go off sightseeing. Other than that it was a pretty good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Page turning romatic suspense!, Jan. 4 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Aug. 25 2003
buckylov17 (Fairport, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
I absolutely love this book. Niema Jamison loses her CIA operative husband, Dallas, on a mission in Iran. She's shattered and has to rely on an operative named Tucker to get her home safely. Tucker who is really John Medina, is a high level offical and agent for the company. For the next five years John keeps an eye on Niema albeit from a distance. She continues working for the company in electronics and one day Medina decides the time has come to reintroduce Niema to field work. He convinces a reluctant Niema to go undercover in France to help capture an arms dealer. Everything is going well until Medina comes on the scene to play Niema's lover. Things get a little too believable after an incident in the office of the arms dealer. The arms dealer discovers their true identities and Niema and John must run for their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just knew John would be this good!, Aug. 13 2003
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
This one is definitely a keeper. Excellent romance, suspense, and total action & adventure. LH has done some excellent writing in this one. (Just a note to those it matters to: The romance is somewhat 2nd place in this one.) All of the characters are somewhat complex - but she doesn't take it so far that I couldn't get to know them.
When I read about John Medina in 'Kill And Tell', I just knew that his would be an excellent story..... it is! Although some of his decisions seemed quite cold, I just couldn't help but be glad that there is 'someone' out there to make those kinds of decisions. Although John doesn't really have a clue how to handle personal relationships, he does know how to act towards people with respect.... that's a real biggy in my opinion.
I really, really enjoyed Niema, our heroine... she is definitely heroine material. This was one of those scarce books that gives me a good reason for the changes that Niema made in her life 5 yrs ago.... & justifies the fear she has of falling for John..... didn't blame her a bit on either one. She was incredibly smart, had loads of common sense, & Did Not allow her past to be an excuse for blaming others nor for acting like a royal witch.... inspite of everything she was a very likable person.
The villian in this book, Louis Rosnard, is unlike any other I have read about. His is a very interesting twist. Yes, I had to condemn him for his actions...... however...... hmmm... can't go there or I'll give anyway part of the story. Anyway, it's a very interesting twist on a villan & I really wonder if we'll see him again in future books.
Really enjoyed it, if you like action & suspense with your romance, I think you will also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Howard's best suspense tale, June 27 2003
V "readinganddreaming" (Tulsa, Ok, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
Romance Suspense is a category in romance writing that is becoming more and more popular. I have been a reluctant reader of romance suspense because the action pages usually surpass the romance pages. I often find that this romance suspense writing lacks over true suspense writing outside of the romance arena and have therefore been critical of it. But I also decided to look at this increasingly popular category and read these books expecting the romance to be secondary to the action and determine if I could see the book in a better light. And I picked All the Queen's Men with this new attitude. This book has little romance and the leads spend at most one-third of the book alone together. But it was a very good CIA type story regardless, full of dangerous thrills and tension, and I did not find it at all boring or lacking. I knew from reviews that it was not as sensual a book as most Howard books. I also had been introduced to the hero in the book Kill and Tell. This is its sequel. I knew I would like a story about John Medina. Plus, after reading this book, I can safely say that this is the best Howard suspense book yet. In my mind, All the Queen's Men is superior to Dying to Please and Mr. Perfect, two of Howard's other romance suspense books. There have been many Howard books that I loved more than All the Queen's Men but those were considered contemporary romance and were primarily romance stories.
John Medina and Niemi Burdock first meet when they begin a joint mission five years earlier that included Niemi's husband, Dallas. Dallas was killed on that mission and John was the one that got Niemi out of Iran safely and soothed her through the rough days that followed her husband's death. For the past five years, Niemi has lived a secluded life and works at a technical job with the CIA. She has not seen John during those five years but John has kept track of her - his CIA boss makes sure that all goes well for her at John's request. He has always cared for her and finally decides she has had five years to find someone else to marry and since she hasn't, he is going to be the only man in her life from now on. He believes she blames him for her husband's death and is greatly relieved when he finds out during their first visit after all these years that she does not blame him at all. She actually blames herself.
John Medina does everything well - he is so well trained and is just so cool. But he doesn't know much about personal relationships. He has operated in the black for so many years with so many identities that he is unable to form long-term relationships. Niemi has given up her sense of adventure after losing her husband and is a very sensible and serious person now. She has kept physically fit and is a very capable woman. She was always intimidated by John and doesn't believe he thinks all that much of her. Both Niemi and John are very likable characters - possibly some of my favorites - especially Niemi. She is a great heroine. Of course, as usual, they are both very attractive people and that is important in this story since part of their future mission will rely on others noticing this attraction as well.
The first days that John and Niemi spend together when he is training her for their mission are precious but there is nothing overtly romantic between them. I state that as a complaint. The romantic possibilities were so great and the chemistry could have rocked the pages had the romance been given more exposure. We are given so little time with just the two of them and even most of that time is concentrated within the pages prior to their realization of their mutual caring. There are two or three sensual scenes that come close to the end and they rate about a 3.0 out of 5.0 (see More About Me for rating guidelines). See - I still had to mourn to loss of the romance for the suspense.
The villain is certainly the most different one I have ever read. No wonder it got the AAR's Favorite Villain Award the year it was published. You actually like this villain and don't want him to get hurt. Most of the villain's scenes show a man that is kind, respectful, and at times extremely touching when those scenes are about or include his daughter. The villain is actually a reason that I enjoyed this story as much as I did.
I really did enjoy All the Queen's Men despite its lack of romance. What romance there is - is very powerful! The story never dragged and I really liked all of the characters. Howard was able to create some sort of magical element that made it a really good read just as it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, Dec 6 2002
Isis (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was so good that I read it over and over and wished for another book to be written just like it. I LOVE John Medina,; he was so cool and collected and there is nothing sexier in my opinion. Niema was a beautiful woman but the way she got to the male characters in the book was lost on me. I personally didn't see the fascination. This book had so much intrigue and so much excitement that I wanted to be a special ops agent after I read it!
The sex scenes were great, and so to the point that you actually felt the rush yourself. I highly recommend this novel, especially if you like romances with a solid story line behind them. I finished it in less than 24hrs, because I ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, Nov. 18 2002
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
Linda Howard is probably my all time favorite. I have never read a book by her I didn't just love.
This is John Medina's story and it couldn't be better. Black Ops tough guy who knows all the angles. John and Niema's relationship is wonderfully told and develops out of a previous encounter when Niema's husband is killed during an Operation with John. I even had a soft spot for the bad guy in this one. I would like to hear more from him as I think he will change his ways.
Great story, Great read, Great characters. Thanks again Linda!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dormant love exploded, Oct. 27 2002
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed the tension and chemistry between John and Niema right from the beginning. There is something very tender about a man holding back, wishing the best for the woman he loves and finally any restraint is just too much for the intense feelings.
John unhurriedly proceeded to make Niema aware of him but still exercised extreme control of himself. So when he was touched to the extent to express his feelings for her, it became so intense and powerful that just took my breath away: when he allowed himself to look at her with all the love in his eyes, when he impulsively wished to kiss her when she sweetly felt sorry about him needing to kill his wife, when he eventually told her of his pent-up love for her, and the need to abstain from seeing her at the hospital. All these just touched something in you and contrasted much with the man the author tried to portray as in total control of himself with punishing discipline.
The story is more of a romance set in a thriller setting than a thriller with a romantic twist. But I'm not complaining about it, in fact, rather pleasantly surprised by it.

ARRAY(0xb45afc18)

All the Queen's Men
All the Queen's Men by Linda Howard (Mass Market Paperback - June 1 2000)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79