5.0 out of 5 stars I just knew John would be this good!
This one is definitely a keeper. Excellent romance, suspense, and total action & adventure. LH has done some excellent writing in this one. (Just a note to those it matters to: The romance is somewhat 2nd place in this one.) All of the characters are somewhat complex - but she doesn't take it so far that I couldn't get to know them.
When I read about John...
Published on Aug. 12 2003 by Jojo

3.0 out of 5 stars For those looking for something different...
Linda Howard continues to write an exciting story you can't put down. This novel, like her most recent books in the last 5 years, continues to be unusual for the following reasons: 1) She has taken a big step away from the romance genre with this one. 2) This is an espionage novel for people sick of standard espionage novels. E.g. Chapter after chapter of boring...
Published on June 5 2000 by Uqob

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional and Thrilling Novel, June 30 2004
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
All The Queen's Men is an emotional novel which packs the same punch as another Linda Howard book I read recently, Cry No More. What these novels both have in common is HEARTACHE - the characters have tragic pasts, baggage from previous relationships and at the same time are dealing with serious and dangerous situations. All in all, this leads to a read which can seem bittersweet at times and is definitely not as carefree as other Howard romances such as Dream Man or Heart of Fire.
Niema and John are likeable, well-rounded characters. Niema is still grieving for her loving, tough late husband when John comes back into her life. She is a charming mix of toughness and vulnerability, and I really liked her. John is the typical 'hard man' who is smarting from how his first marriage ended and, to some extent, is unable to express his true feelings because of his dangerous job. The relationship between the two definitely seems meant to be and most of their interactions are a mix of passion, tenderness and love.
As other reviewers have mentioned the ending is quite abrupt, but it made me cry anyway because I was so happy for them both. Overall I was unable to leave this novel for a moment while I was reading it, but I don't reread it often simply because it makes me feel sad - despite the happy ending. I can't help but think that their lives will be hard because John will always have to look over his shoulder and be ready for an old enemy to attack him and Niema again.
JoAnne

4.0 out of 5 stars It's more like 4 1/2 stars...., Jan. 10 2004
Christine H. (Running Springs, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
I've recently become a big fan of Linda Howards and have been buying up most of her books. I had read "Kill and Tell" a few months ago and became very intrigued with one of it's characters, John Medina, a CIA operative. This book is actually Johns story.
The first part of the book starts off in Iran, 5 years earlier. John is on assignment with several other people, including Niema and her husband Dallas Burdock (a Navy SEAL). During the operation Dallas is killed and John helps Niema escape. Now to the present. John has always had a thing for Niema but had stayed away because he wanted her to find happiness. Now they are sent on a mission together and he decides he doesn't want to give her up. The rest of the story is about their mission which I won't spoil.
Now some reviewers had a problem with the first time John and Niema make love. Some even said it bordered on rape. I didn't see it like that. Niema's reluctance to make love to John had nothing to do with her being unwilling. She just didn't like the location of where it happened and I don't blame her.
Some reviewers felt that at times John was too cold. Again I didn't see that. He was controlled and in his line of work you would have to be. There were times, like when he was bandaging her feet, that I felt he was very sweet.
There were only two things I didn't like about the story. One was John is always portrayed as "wanting" Niema but I would have like to have heard him say he loved her. The second was the sightseeing trip toward the end of the book. I'm sorry but if your being chased by a bunch of goons your not going to go off sightseeing. Other than that it was a pretty good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just knew John would be this good!, Aug. 12 2003
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
When I read about John Medina in 'Kill And Tell', I just knew that his would be an excellent story..... it is! Although some of his decisions seemed quite cold, I just couldn't help but be glad that there is 'someone' out there to make those kinds of decisions. Although John doesn't really have a clue how to handle personal relationships, he does know how to act towards people with respect.... that's a real biggy in my opinion.
I really, really enjoyed Niema, our heroine... she is definitely heroine material. This was one of those scarce books that gives me a good reason for the changes that Niema made in her life 5 yrs ago.... & justifies the fear she has of falling for John..... didn't blame her a bit on either one. She was incredibly smart, had loads of common sense, & Did Not allow her past to be an excuse for blaming others nor for acting like a royal witch.... inspite of everything she was a very likable person.
The villian in this book, Louis Rosnard, is unlike any other I have read about. His is a very interesting twist. Yes, I had to condemn him for his actions...... however...... hmmm... can't go there or I'll give anyway part of the story. Anyway, it's a very interesting twist on a villan & I really wonder if we'll see him again in future books.
Really enjoyed it, if you like action & suspense with your romance, I think you will also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Howard's best suspense tale, June 27 2003
V "readinganddreaming" (Tulsa, Ok, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
Romance Suspense is a category in romance writing that is becoming more and more popular. I have been a reluctant reader of romance suspense because the action pages usually surpass the romance pages. I often find that this romance suspense writing lacks over true suspense writing outside of the romance arena and have therefore been critical of it. But I also decided to look at this increasingly popular category and read these books expecting the romance to be secondary to the action and determine if I could see the book in a better light. And I picked All the Queen's Men with this new attitude. This book has little romance and the leads spend at most one-third of the book alone together. But it was a very good CIA type story regardless, full of dangerous thrills and tension, and I did not find it at all boring or lacking. I knew from reviews that it was not as sensual a book as most Howard books. I also had been introduced to the hero in the book Kill and Tell. This is its sequel. I knew I would like a story about John Medina. Plus, after reading this book, I can safely say that this is the best Howard suspense book yet. In my mind, All the Queen's Men is superior to Dying to Please and Mr. Perfect, two of Howard's other romance suspense books. There have been many Howard books that I loved more than All the Queen's Men but those were considered contemporary romance and were primarily romance stories.
John Medina and Niemi Burdock first meet when they begin a joint mission five years earlier that included Niemi's husband, Dallas. Dallas was killed on that mission and John was the one that got Niemi out of Iran safely and soothed her through the rough days that followed her husband's death. For the past five years, Niemi has lived a secluded life and works at a technical job with the CIA. She has not seen John during those five years but John has kept track of her - his CIA boss makes sure that all goes well for her at John's request. He has always cared for her and finally decides she has had five years to find someone else to marry and since she hasn't, he is going to be the only man in her life from now on. He believes she blames him for her husband's death and is greatly relieved when he finds out during their first visit after all these years that she does not blame him at all. She actually blames herself.
John Medina does everything well - he is so well trained and is just so cool. But he doesn't know much about personal relationships. He has operated in the black for so many years with so many identities that he is unable to form long-term relationships. Niemi has given up her sense of adventure after losing her husband and is a very sensible and serious person now. She has kept physically fit and is a very capable woman. She was always intimidated by John and doesn't believe he thinks all that much of her. Both Niemi and John are very likable characters - possibly some of my favorites - especially Niemi. She is a great heroine. Of course, as usual, they are both very attractive people and that is important in this story since part of their future mission will rely on others noticing this attraction as well.
The first days that John and Niemi spend together when he is training her for their mission are precious but there is nothing overtly romantic between them. I state that as a complaint. The romantic possibilities were so great and the chemistry could have rocked the pages had the romance been given more exposure. We are given so little time with just the two of them and even most of that time is concentrated within the pages prior to their realization of their mutual caring. There are two or three sensual scenes that come close to the end and they rate about a 3.0 out of 5.0 (see More About Me for rating guidelines). See - I still had to mourn to loss of the romance for the suspense.
The villain is certainly the most different one I have ever read. No wonder it got the AAR's Favorite Villain Award the year it was published. You actually like this villain and don't want him to get hurt. Most of the villain's scenes show a man that is kind, respectful, and at times extremely touching when those scenes are about or include his daughter. The villain is actually a reason that I enjoyed this story as much as I did.
I really did enjoy All the Queen's Men despite its lack of romance. What romance there is - is very powerful! The story never dragged and I really liked all of the characters. Howard was able to create some sort of magical element that made it a really good read just as it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dormant love exploded, Oct. 27 2002
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed the tension and chemistry between John and Niema right from the beginning. There is something very tender about a man holding back, wishing the best for the woman he loves and finally any restraint is just too much for the intense feelings.
John unhurriedly proceeded to make Niema aware of him but still exercised extreme control of himself. So when he was touched to the extent to express his feelings for her, it became so intense and powerful that just took my breath away: when he allowed himself to look at her with all the love in his eyes, when he impulsively wished to kiss her when she sweetly felt sorry about him needing to kill his wife, when he eventually told her of his pent-up love for her, and the need to abstain from seeing her at the hospital. All these just touched something in you and contrasted much with the man the author tried to portray as in total control of himself with punishing discipline.
The story is more of a romance set in a thriller setting than a thriller with a romantic twist. But I'm not complaining about it, in fact, rather pleasantly surprised by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little James Bond in Your Romance...., Sept. 12 2002
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
This was packed with action and spy intrique! It was literally like watching a James Bond movie, except much better if I do say so myself ;)
This 'James Bond' was none other than mysterious John Medina from Ms Howard's previous title 'Kill and Tell', the CIA agent and computer wizard. Never knowing what to expect next was all the fun! It was edge of your seat excitement that I haven't read in a long, long time, expecially of this genre!
Chases scenes that will leave your heart hammering, gunplay that will leave you gasping and the neverending disguises that will make you smirk when the badguys are fooled. And last but definately not least, a female lead that kicks butt!
John Medina is a CIA agent, Black Ops specialist. He works in the shadows of the government's deadliest missions. This time John is up against a diabolical terrorist and needs the help of communications expert Niema Burdock.
Only five years ago, Niema and her husband Dallas worked with John on a mission in Iran that got him killed. She has healed slowly, but hasn't seen Medina since that time and never plans to see him again until he shows up and wants her to help him, this time in Paris.
Stopping a French arms dealer will be tricky, but all Niema has to do is plant undetectable bugs (that she invented) needed to crack the ring. Against what her head is telling her, she infiltrates the ring by helping John and staying under cover. When their strategy begins to crack, they run for their lives into a maze of trouble and a strange land. They also find themselves powerfully attracted to one another. Can he heal the wounds around her heart for good? Can she trust him enough to let him? Does she have the strength to anymore?
In the tricky and deceptive world of spy games and terrorism, John Medina must keep Niema this time or he will lose his heart...
EXCELLENT!!!! Definately worth the money and time!!!! Don't miss this wild ride!!!
Tracy Talley~@

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, Nov. 6 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
I have to admit, I love the romantic suspense genre, and have read as many books as I can in the subject. Very often, I'll end up trudging through a book that fails to fulfill all that it touts. Not so with Linda Howard's novels. I know that when I pick up a book of hers, I know that it'll have good action as well as some hot romance. I have to admit that sometimes the novels are a bit unbelievable, particularly when it's two characters that have known each other for about a day and then all of a sudden fall into bed and have unbelievable sex. (i.e. Kill and Tell). I still enjoy the books simply because they're interesting. The mystery is good without being too bogged down in the darkness of murder. I loved this book becuase it had that "hard-to-get" man's man who never forgot that one girl who connected with him deeper than anyone had in a long time. It's not often that the ability to lust after a fictional character is possible, but the thought of Medina, who was outrageously sexy, manly, and wanted only Niema was simply irresistable. Ms. Howard fed a lot of the female fantasy of that dream guy that everyone wants, yet he only wants one and no other. I loved the fact that with her, he couldn't keep that infamous control. The only other Howard book that I enjoyed more was After the Night, and that was most likely because Gray and Medina had very similar characteristics. They were both men used to getting their own way, forged by their past experiences, who are drawn irresistably to the women in their lives, who aren't weak at all, but have their own minds and know what to do. All in all, a definite keeper, buy this book, it's worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderfully entertaining, July 31 2001
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
After I read " Heart of fire ", I bought a few books by Linda Howard. And I found they were good in average. I find every reader has diffterent taste , so has different point of view on the books. In my taste, "All the queen's man" is quite entertaining in every way. Speedy, exciting and very romantic. I like John Medina character. He is cold, controlled and he is a superman. When you read the scene describing his test for SEAL training, you couldn't call him otherwise. He is a kind of man who can exist only in fictional world. But it's no harm just enjoying his super power for a few hours fun reading. Capable and strong heroin is another good thing on this book. Story is not so plain and not so dirty . Love scene is quite convincing. Their relationship is well developed along with their job. For five years John has pressed his feeling for Niema , but finally he claims his love for her. Desprite his cold, controlled character, he couldn't resist her and lost control. It's very typical romance plot, but author's ability makes difference. When author is good enough to give us pleasure to read her/his book , it doen't matter whether the plot is typical. Linda Howard is one of that kind romance author. And I really enjoyed this book. I'm looking forward reading another Howard book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid entertainment, May 21 2001
"moreland98" (Vacaville, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
Linda Howard remains one of my favorite authors, not only because she tells a great story, but because she mixes sensual romance into the mix without being too obvious.
The plot is well-developed, and the characters are compelling. My only beef is with Ms. Howard's almost cartoonish portrayal of "black ops" spies. I actually happen to be related to many Force Recon (USMC)and other assorted marines who work in recon/intelligence... I can assure you that, while I of course don't know particulars of their missions, they don't have unlimited expense accounts and most certainly are not James Bond-type spies (despite what they tell the girls at the bars). But this is fiction, and romantic fiction at that, so you allow some "poetic license."
Actually, this book is one of the only that manages to bridge the gap between "erotic romance" and "spy thriller" without giving the reader giggle fits. I read Clancy, for example, and always squirm uncomfortably at the occasional sex scene. I also read the "super-erotic" writers such as Susan Johnson and Robin Schone, and squirm uncomfortably at their attemtps at intrigue.
Linda Howard has managed to combine the two genres in an intriguing way. Her gradual blend towards Romantic Suspense seemed to manifest in "Son of the Morning" (an excellent read, BTW), and continues up to this book. The plot and ending of this book are solid (not inspiring, but worth reading), although she's written better.
Bottom line: If you're a romance reader, read this book. If you're a suspense reader, read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another LInda Howard gem, April 7 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: All the Queen's Men (Mass Market Paperback)
I resisted reading ALL THE QUEEN'S MEN for a long time due to reviews that implied that John Medina was neither as interesting nor as well-developed a character as Louis Ronsard. While Ronsard is certainly a complex, fascinating "villain," Linda Howard in no way skimped on the characterization of her black ops hero, Medina. Coupled with a strong, feisty heroine in Niema Burdock, Medina is introduced to the reader in wonderful scenes -- escaping from Iran following a mission gone wrong, training with Niema for a mission to bring down arms dealer Ronsard, pursuing her with single-minded intensity at Ronsard's villa. It's a fascinating world of shadows Medina lives in and Howard's gift is showing us the importance of Niema to him, how her spirit and love of adventure provides the light and warmth this strong man needs. I have read just about everything Linda Howard has written and in my estimation, she has successfully moved from romance to romantic suspense without losing the ability to pair terrific men and women. She also writes some of the best sex in the business, and if there's less of it in her more recent works, well, trust me, what she does write is guaranteed to scorch!

All the Queen's Men
All the Queen's Men by Linda Howard (Mass Market Paperback - June 1 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01