5.0 out of 5 stars Lardo succeeds - best McNally book yet!
Published on May 21 2004 by Paul Skinner

3.0 out of 5 stars So So McNally story.
It was only by reading the fine print that I learned that this novel was Not by Lawrence Sanders. For me Archy McNally will always remain the creation of Mr. Sanders, but I wanted to read another story about one of my favorite characters.
Published on Dec 12 2010 by BooksForMe

3.0 out of 5 stars So So McNally story., Dec 12 2010
This review is from: McNally's Dilemma (Paperback)
The attempt by Vincent Lardo gave an interesting slant to McNally, but his style of writing wasn't the same as Mr. Sanders. For the first time, it was clear how the story would evolve, and that's another indication that Lawrence Sanders did not write this book. In my opinion, Mr. Sanders name should not be on the cover, for it's a total disservice to the legacy of this great writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lardo succeeds - best McNally book yet!, May 21 2004
Paul Skinner (Manassas, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mcnallys Dilemma (Hardcover)
Although I have fond memories of Lawrence Sanders' writing style, I don't understand the criticism for Vincent Lardo's continuation of this excellent series. This book is outstanding. The plot twists are intriguing and clever. I was mesmerized by the intertwined stories of Melva and Fairhurst, as Archie discovered more and more connections between the death of the dispicable Geoff Williams, and the blackmail of Fairhurst the III. The romantic dilemma for Archy was also an interesting side story. In my mind, this book had it all. Archy was in top form, jousting with the pater and his beloved Connie, dealing with the inept Binky on occasion (not too much, thankfully), and enjoying several medium rare steak tartares at the Pelican Club.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but not particularly great., Dec 28 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Mcnallys Dilemma (Hardcover)
As this novel demonstrates there is a slight but noticeable difference in the writing styles of both Sanders and Lardo. Lardo himself seems to be a bit of a mystery man in that there isn't much publically known about him. He certainly doesn't have the reputation as a mystery writer that Sanders does.
MeNally amply demonstrates in this novel that he has very little common horse sense when it comes to women. He needs to learn how to be more selective.
If you really want to read this book borrow it from the library and read. Then move on to something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fact-checking needed, July 7 2001
Frank (Stockton CA) - See all my reviews
Famous authors, even DEAD famous authors, should check their facts before including bloopers in their books. The plot revolves around a law firm needing to get "imperative" corroborating evidence to a homicide, because without it supposedly the killer's "word is pure hearsay." That ain't so, if the character is using the "hearsay" in its legal sense. The bloopers don't stop there -- he continues with erroneous pronouncements about the effect of an insanity plea.

3.0 out of 5 stars McNally's Dilemma, June 5 2001
John J. Hunter (Devon, PA United States) - See all my reviews
In all, I liked the book. I don't believe Vincent Lardo has the feel for Archie or Palm Beach as yet, but hopefully things will improve over time. What is missing is the precision and detail that Sanders used in describing not only the characters, but Palm Beach on the whole. With Sanders, you could see and most of all important feel the place. This is missing in Dilemma.
Archy appears to be growing up. He has enough sense to where clothes appropriate to the occasion (e.g, meeting an important and conservative client), but Prescott McNally has gone from a class act to a money grubber. Trying to be a match maker with Archie and Veronica is also out of character for him.
I don't think Lardo knows Palm Beach. One would never go to Ta-boo if one did not want to be seen, and eating in the bar area is the last place you'd go if you're looking for privacy. You have to pass through it to get to the important dining room (the one with the fireplace). The Breakers would have been a better choice. Every there is so old they can't see across the room.
I hope Lardo continues with the series. He'll get better and Archy will live on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, at best, Jan. 23 2001
Sadie Prater (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I am an avid reader of the McNally series and I was as overjoyed as any that it would continue after Sander's passing. Unfortunatly after reading this tomb I must say that it would have been better to die with the author. Lardo does not possess any of the charm that made Sander's character so endearing and lovable. The quick wit and intelligence I always assocated with Archy was truly lacking leaving little more than a one dementional character.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yuck!, Jan. 4 2001
Darlene Nolan (Mesa, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lawrence Sanders: McNally's Dilemma: An Archy McNally Novel (Audio Cassette)
I was so disappointed in this book. Please, by all means, give Vincent Lardo credit.Did you even read the other books? What happened to Archie? Wearing black Levis? And when did he get engaged to Connie? He always said that if he was ever engaged or married he would be faithful. That was part of his rakish charm. Nothing to tell us how, when or where this engagement happened. Why would he change his life so dramatically without one word in this "book". I want Lawrence Sanders! This is a sham and a travesty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done Vincent Lardo!, Nov. 5 2000
By A Customer
I put off reading this book for a long time because I felt that by putting Lawrence Sanders name on the cover (Hard Cover Edition) and not Vincent Lardo's name that the publisher was not being completely honest. I finally did read it and was rewarded with a very well written Arhcy McNally story. I look forward to reading more form Mr. Lardo.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, but good., Oct. 16 2000
Archie McNally, once again, finds himself in the thick of things in Palm Beach. A beautiful woman, a murder, and a whole lot of money are the usual fair. The twists in this book are not as twisty as other McNally stories, and this one is unusually predictable. Even so, it is a fun trip into a world few of us know intimately.

3.0 out of 5 stars Archy has seen better days, Oct. 9 2000
Joseph Levens (Smithtown, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I tried to ignore the fact that Lawrence Sanders didn't write this book, but couldn't. Something was missing. This episode in the McNally series has a little more of the conventional mystery element to it, but regretfully less of the Archy characteristic flair. If you want a decent mystery, you will probably like this book, but if you are looking for more of the "Archy, have you been behaving yourself?", "No, have you?", "Of course not," humor, several of the previous books in the series are much better, my favorites being McNally's Luck and McNally's Puzzle.

Lawrence Sanders: McNally's Dilemma: An Archy McNally Novel
Lawrence Sanders: McNally's Dilemma: An Archy McNally Novel by Vincent Lardo (Audio Cassette - July 1 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 17.80