5.0 out of 5 stars It Works--Thoughts and tips from a dad who taught his 3 kids
Published on Jan. 19 2004 by Wayne's wife

2.0 out of 5 stars Only good for the very Young
I have a 3 year old, a 5 year old, and a 7 year old. It didn't really work for any of them, and I was extremely bored by the program. My seven year old has some learning disabilities and has struggled with learning to read. A friend recommended this book so I decided to try it. It does say up front that it is not for struggling readers, and it definitely is not. My 7...
Published on June 23 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works--Thoughts and tips from a dad who taught his 3 kids, Jan. 19 2004
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
Overview: The book does what it says, pretty much. In just 100 lessons you child should learn to read on a first-grade level. Not just decode words, but read and understand. The lessons are generally easy. I wondered how the book would get across difficult concepts such as short and long vowels and letter sometimes having different sounds. These are worked into the lessons just like everything else-a little bit at a time and in the right order-and they were no problem. There are no big concepts to teach, facts to memorize, etc. Some parts of some lessons might be difficult, but the concepts are broken down into pieces and taught over several lessons, so there are no stumbling blocks. Just 10-15 minutes for a lesson each night.
Other Books: I can't compare this to other books. This was the only one I could find when I started to teach my children and so I've not seen any others to compare it against. I know one book has a title of 20 lessons. After my experiences, I don't think 20 lessons is enough to learn anything useful.
My Experience, Child 1: I started with my oldest when she was 5. I was learning about how to do this while she was learning how to read. She was (and is) strong-willed and got upset easily when she had a problem. With the book's method, when the child makes a mistake you just tell them what they should say and let them try again until they get it right-very little pressure. However, my oldest would get frustrated when she could not get it right the first time. She would get so frustrated we would had to stop in the middle of a lesson and start over in a day or two many, many times. We also did not have a lesson every day. When she started kindergarten, I stopped the lessons because of the problems we were having and the fact that she was learning phonics in school. However, what she did learn gave her a head start and helped her. My experiences with my other two children showed that her experience was an exception. I think the problem was my lack of experience and her strong-willed nature. If I had it to do over, I would have continued the lessons though kindergarten.
Child 2: I started child 2 when she was 5. I had learned a lot from my first attempt and we did just fine. I did not remember to give her a lesson every day so it took a while to finish. We were only at 50 when she started kindergarten but we continued anyway. Starting at about lesson 60 or so she really seemed to catch on and each lesson got easier. She is now reading on level 3.2 half-way through first grade.
Child 3: I just started child 3 when he was 4 1/2. We are at lesson 25 and he is doing even better than child 2. We are having lessons almost every day and he should be finished when he is 5.
Tips:
1. Skip the "Writing Sounds" section of each lesson. This is the last part of each lesson where the child writes the letters they are learning. My first child had a problem with the "Writing Sounds" part of each lesson. She spent more time on this that the rest of the lesson and got frustrated with it very easily. On the advice of an elementary teacher, I started skipping this. She did better after that. I skipped for my other two and they did just fine without it. It does help reinforce learning the sounds, but it is a lot of effort than can discourage the child for a small return in learning.
2. Be on the look out for typos. There are quite a few of them in the book. There were all in the words for the parent, so it's not too bad. Most of them are words in the wrong color-red verses black.
3. Don't be too literal with reading exactly the instructions the parent is supposed to read to the child. In particular, the phrase "Don't get fooled" appeared a lot. This got old very quick and didn't apply anyway so I started leaving it out.
4. The book teaches pronouncing "was" as "wuz." This is an acceptable pronunciation, but I believe that "woz" is more correct. (And I'm from Alabama.) I taught mine to say "woz". You might want to do this also. (This is one of the few words like "is" and "said" that can't just be sounded out.)
5. The hardest thing for my children to learn was the leap from saying the sounds in a word to saying the word-from s (pause) a (pause) m to sam. This is really the only hard thing in the book. If you child has a problem with this, work on this with them. Tell them to try to keep saying one sound until they start the next one. They will eventually get it right. It took my second from lesson 15 until about lesson 40 to get this right. With my third child I knew this going in and emphasized the "rhyming" and other parts in the first 20 lessons and he picked it up a lot quicker.
6. Before you start, read through a few lessons throughout the book to get a feel for how the lessons progress. This would have helped me a lot with the first child.
7. Don't get stressed. It really is 100 easy lessons. If your child has a problem, feel free to backup a few lessons.
8. Try very hard not to skip days. This was really a problem with my first two. I've been better about it with my third and it seems to help.

5.0 out of 5 stars structured program, June 5 2004
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
This worked well for my five year old son who still had another 6 months to go before starting kindergarten. I felt he had the potential to learn reading basics but although I'm a teacher I wasn't sure how to approach this task with my own child. He didn't seem to be picking it up from my "whole language" approach. A homeschooling mom recommended this to me and I bought it immediately. It is a very scripted program (which goes against my grain and my training!) but I gave it a try. I have to say, the method has worked. I am halfway through the book and my son now knows most letter sounds and blends and can sound out words, it makes sense to him. It is far from "magic" however. It requires a sustained committment, and the child has to focus and concentrate at each session, but the lessons are short enough and there is enough repetition for him to experience success, which is motivating. I also don't follow every script exactly and have skipped the "sounds writing" part of the lessons. I'll go back to that part later. My main focus now is on phonetic awareness, and the book works for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book! One suggestion, Jan. 27 2004
Kelly Stockdale (Cartersville, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
This book is wonderful! My son who is 5 years old is halfway through in three weeks. Yes, three weeks! In the beginning he could not read any words except for the words Yellow and Red - and his name:)
One suggestion that I would HIGHLY recommend is that you start out making sure that when your child sounds out the letters such as "L" to not sound it out like "La" or the letter "D" as "Duh". My son had a hard time in the beginning reading Old because he would say O la dah. Also, what I did that REALLY helped was tell my child to sound out EACH letter slowly and listen to what he just said and then say it FAST. (slow - fast method works VERY well IF you tell the child to listen to himself and then say it fast WITHOUT trying to guess what it says). Many times they do not know the word or never heard of it so...naturally, it confuses them:)
Occassionally, if I felt that it was getting harder for him, I would go backwards without him knowing. This way he would not get frustrated and lose his interest in reading. Homeschooling with this book has been a real blessing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Results- but did not come easy, April 11 2012
JB (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
I bought this book when my daughter were 4 1/2. She showed an interest in reading and writing, and I wanted something where I was directed step by step. I am not a teacher and did not know how to teach her. Even though the program is easy to follow and progresses at a good pace, it was definately NOT easy. Frankly it was like pulling teeth! We did one lesson per day. It took about 20 minutes, and it was 20 painful minutes. We stopped at lesson 40 when she started JK. I think it gave her a good base to start school. The school sent home sight word sheets to work on and we did those rather lazily. When my daughter turned 5 this january, she asked if we could do the sight word sheets faster. She set a goal for herself. Since she was now not only interested but also eager to learn, I pulled out the book again. We went back a few lessons to review and this time things went sooo well! The lessons now are finished in less than 10 minutes. It's no longer pulling teeth, but a joy to see how she is progressing. It has definately helped her with her sight words. The strategies she has learned in the book, such as stretching sounds, were reinforced at school. Techniques she learned in class, has helped with the book lessons. We are now at lesson 65 and moving along well. She has read Go Dog Go, and Are You My Mother. We also uses the Bob Books series as quick wins, and encouragement.
The intro to the book says the program should not be used if the child can already read. I don't entirely agree with this. Yes, the book uses funny spelling, but that is easy enough to adapt too. I think that the school program, in addition to the book, has really given her tools to learn to read. The 2 programs worked well together and supported each other, to her benefit.
Overall, the program is excellent. We don't do the writing part and I don't follow the silly script, but it doesn't take much to adapt the parent part without affecting the flow or spirit of the lesson.
In conclusion, the program is easy to follow, but in the beginning, the lessons are far from easy, as your child gets frustrated and so do you, as the parent. At some point though, and I think it happened in school, their minds open up, and then things do get much easier, even enjoyable. I am glad we came back to the book and didn't quit when things were hard.
Good luck, you won't regret the hard work, you as a parent put in, and in the end you will be delighted to see your child reading and decoding words using the strategies they learned through the program.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has not hampered our love of reading., Jan. 12 2004
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
This book helped my three year old DECODE the first couple of books in the Bob Book series after just 10 lessons! My daughter and I have had fun making these lessons our own "one on one" game time.
Children who know how to figure out "code" but have no skills in enjoying a book or comprehending it do not have this book to blame. A book or program can not replace a living example (parent or teacher) who is excited about reading and makes reading an adventure. A parent who reads to their child often will give their child a glimpse into a world full of adventure... and this book helps give the child their own key to that world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, enjoyable, and effective, Sept. 10 2014
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
My three-year-old daughter is almost finished this book now. We're on lesson 79 or so I believe. She asked me to teach her how to read. I had an old Hooked on Phonics set and gave it a try, but I found she got into the habit of reading only the first letter and then guessing all of the words she knew that started with that letter. I read a recommendation for this book online, and I thought I would give it a try.
I really like the way this book is structured. It moves ahead so gradually that my child doesn't feel like it's too hard, and yet there is rapid improvement in her reading ability.
The first few times we attempted the book, she wasn't blurring the sounds together properly once they became whole words. I just put the book away and tried again a week or two later. One day it just clicked. I knew she was really ready at that point, and since then we have been doing a lesson everyday, and it has been a breeze.
After a lesson of reading sounds, then words, there is a story for the child to read and picture to test their comprehension. We cover the picture, and I find just wanting to see the picture is motivation enough for her to read through the whole story.
I highly recommend this book to anyone whose child has expressed an interest in reading at a young age or whose child may be struggling with reading at school.
Compared to many of the other products on the market, this book is really a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son now love reading lessons., April 12 2013
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
I have a child that is a struggling learner. We had been using a phonics intensive reading program with him but is was not working. (Although it had worked well with my other children) This book was recommended to me by a mother who had used Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons with some of her children. The program has been working really well. My son has gone from tears to excitement at the thought of learning to read. More importantly he has begun to read (we are not done the book yet)
Some thought on the program.
It is a two colour book (black and pink) and all the picture are black line drawings.
It uses tasks in each lesson. Each task gives the parent the exact words to say and what the child should respond with.
this makes it a very easy program to use but as a parent it is not very exciting to teach. However my child loves it.
READ THE FORWARD AND INSTRUCTIONS at the beginning of the book. It is important to understand how and why the program works or you will be tempted to skip parts.
Over all I am very glad that I went with this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for young gifted children!, May 5 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
My son is (...) very bright. He had letter recognition and understood most of the letter sounds before we started this book (since he was about [quite young]), so this method gave me a format to teach him. When he kept insisting to learn how to read and began sounding out words on his own, often incorrectly, I knew it was time to start a program.
Now he's so excited that he's learning how to read... he loves reading lesson time! For him, the pace is slow, and repeatative, but I'm able to modify. We're doing two to three lessons every day. I've caught him picking out letter sounds in every day life: a sign at the grocery store, a word on a magazine etc..
This is a perfect method for the child who is ready to launch into reading. After establishing the basics this book offers, then you can go onto more complex methods.
I strongly suggest simply reading to your child often. The method in this book will teach the fundamentals, but only enjoying stories will foster the love of reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning to Read and Loving to Read, Jan. 15 2004
Robin W. Teske (Arkansas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
We just began teaching our four-year-old how to read using this book. She's the sixth of seven children and the sixth child to learn to read from Teach Your Child. We have never used another program to teach reading or even to suppliment this program - we get them through this book and then turn them loose on real books. Our oldest two (twelve-year-old twin girls) have been reading Plato and Aristotle and similar books for the past two years and easily discuss what they have read with their father, an advanced-degreed college graduate in philosophy and religion. Both girls read Gone With the Wind in less than two weeks and came away with insights far beyond what you would expect from a causal reading - much less such fast reading. My other readers are younger and are still reading more typical children's books, but they still are reading far above their grade levels. All of them love to read.
But this is not to brag about my children. They are smart, but *not* brilliant. They learned to read well right from the start. Teach Your Child To Read gets a child reading words quickly and sentences soon after, so he or she is rewarded with success right away. As another review wrote, "easy" probably isn't the appropriate word. It is work - for the parent who must learn to "read" his or her child's fustration level and know when to encourage the child along or be willing to take a break for five minutes or even a week, and for the child, who may be learning to stick with a task for the first time.
The biggest turn-off for me the first time I went through this book were the goofy stories. But now that we are going through them yet once again, I'm enjoying listening to my older children get excited over the stories again as our newest reader reaches their favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Book for Teaching Any Child to Read!, Sept. 18 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
I've now used this book with both of my children, and it's ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! My 12 year old started out with this book before he knew his alphabet (at age 4 1/2); he's been reading at a "post high school" level for a few years now. I had never experienced the incredible joy I felt when I was first able to open the door to reading for my son. It was awesome!
And now to have done the same thing for my second son is beyond belief. The first time through I wasn't sure if it was this reading program or my childs ability. However, my younger boy (who's just 5) has some disabilities (which took more patience and time on my part). But the results have been the same. My little one is reading!!! And he's soooo excited about it! Again I get the thrill of knowing that I opened this door for him (and yet it really wasn't me, it's this reading program). It's unbelievable!
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND using this book to teach reading! It does take time and patience (and a firm 3 month committment) on your part. But the results are more that worth the effort.
I also have used the "Bob books" and the books recommended at the back of "100 Easy Lessons" to continue on with reading lessons. Once I picked up on their formula for teaching odd letter combinations (like "tion") I simply continued teaching other patterns in this way; which both of my boys have mastered without difficulty. We've been very successful with this follow up part of the suggestions from this book, and I've felt more self confident in teaching advanced reading skills to my children because of this book instructing me how to teach.

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Siegfried Engelmann (Paperback - June 15 1986)
CDN$ 26.00 CDN$ 16.46