5.0 out of 5 stars It Works--Thoughts and tips from a dad who taught his 3 kids
Published on Jan. 19 2004 by Wayne

1.0 out of 5 stars This book short-changes the reading process.
Published on Sept. 22 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works--Thoughts and tips from a dad who taught his 3 kids, Jan. 19 2004
Wayne "Wayne Goode" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
Overview: The book does what it says, pretty much. In just 100 lessons you child should learn to read on a first-grade level. Not just decode words, but read and understand. The lessons are generally easy. I wondered how the book would get across difficult concepts such as short and long vowels and letter sometimes having different sounds. These are worked into the lessons just like everything else-a little bit at a time and in the right order-and they were no problem. There are no big concepts to teach, facts to memorize, etc. Some parts of some lessons might be difficult, but the concepts are broken down into pieces and taught over several lessons, so there are no stumbling blocks. Just 10-15 minutes for a lesson each night.
Other Books: I can't compare this to other books. This was the only one I could find when I started to teach my children and so I've not seen any others to compare it against. I know one book has a title of 20 lessons. After my experiences, I don't think 20 lessons is enough to learn anything useful.
My Experience, Child 1: I started with my oldest when she was 5. I was learning about how to do this while she was learning how to read. She was (and is) strong-willed and got upset easily when she had a problem. With the book's method, when the child makes a mistake you just tell them what they should say and let them try again until they get it right-very little pressure. However, my oldest would get frustrated when she could not get it right the first time. She would get so frustrated we would had to stop in the middle of a lesson and start over in a day or two many, many times. We also did not have a lesson every day. When she started kindergarten, I stopped the lessons because of the problems we were having and the fact that she was learning phonics in school. However, what she did learn gave her a head start and helped her. My experiences with my other two children showed that her experience was an exception. I think the problem was my lack of experience and her strong-willed nature. If I had it to do over, I would have continued the lessons though kindergarten.
Child 2: I started child 2 when she was 5. I had learned a lot from my first attempt and we did just fine. I did not remember to give her a lesson every day so it took a while to finish. We were only at 50 when she started kindergarten but we continued anyway. Starting at about lesson 60 or so she really seemed to catch on and each lesson got easier. She is now reading on level 3.2 half-way through first grade.
Child 3: I just started child 3 when he was 4 1/2. We are at lesson 25 and he is doing even better than child 2. We are having lessons almost every day and he should be finished when he is 5.
Tips:
1. Skip the "Writing Sounds" section of each lesson. This is the last part of each lesson where the child writes the letters they are learning. My first child had a problem with the "Writing Sounds" part of each lesson. She spent more time on this that the rest of the lesson and got frustrated with it very easily. On the advice of an elementary teacher, I started skipping this. She did better after that. I skipped for my other two and they did just fine without it. It does help reinforce learning the sounds, but it is a lot of effort than can discourage the child for a small return in learning.
2. Be on the look out for typos. There are quite a few of them in the book. There were all in the words for the parent, so it's not too bad. Most of them are words in the wrong color-red verses black.
3. Don't be too literal with reading exactly the instructions the parent is supposed to read to the child. In particular, the phrase "Don't get fooled" appeared a lot. This got old very quick and didn't apply anyway so I started leaving it out.
4. The book teaches pronouncing "was" as "wuz." This is an acceptable pronunciation, but I believe that "woz" is more correct. (And I'm from Alabama.) I taught mine to say "woz". You might want to do this also. (This is one of the few words like "is" and "said" that can't just be sounded out.)
5. The hardest thing for my children to learn was the leap from saying the sounds in a word to saying the word-from s (pause) a (pause) m to sam. This is really the only hard thing in the book. If you child has a problem with this, work on this with them. Tell them to try to keep saying one sound until they start the next one. They will eventually get it right. It took my second from lesson 15 until about lesson 40 to get this right. With my third child I knew this going in and emphasized the "rhyming" and other parts in the first 20 lessons and he picked it up a lot quicker.
6. Before you start, read through a few lessons throughout the book to get a feel for how the lessons progress. This would have helped me a lot with the first child.
7. Don't get stressed. It really is 100 easy lessons. If your child has a problem, feel free to backup a few lessons.
8. Try very hard not to skip days. This was really a problem with my first two. I've been better about it with my third and it seems to help.

5.0 out of 5 stars structured program, June 5 2004
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
This worked well for my five year old son who still had another 6 months to go before starting kindergarten. I felt he had the potential to learn reading basics but although I'm a teacher I wasn't sure how to approach this task with my own child. He didn't seem to be picking it up from my "whole language" approach. A homeschooling mom recommended this to me and I bought it immediately. It is a very scripted program (which goes against my grain and my training!) but I gave it a try. I have to say, the method has worked. I am halfway through the book and my son now knows most letter sounds and blends and can sound out words, it makes sense to him. It is far from "magic" however. It requires a sustained committment, and the child has to focus and concentrate at each session, but the lessons are short enough and there is enough repetition for him to experience success, which is motivating. I also don't follow every script exactly and have skipped the "sounds writing" part of the lessons. I'll go back to that part later. My main focus now is on phonetic awareness, and the book works for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Results- but did not come easy, April 11 2012
JB (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
I bought this book when my daughter were 4 1/2. She showed an interest in reading and writing, and I wanted something where I was directed step by step. I am not a teacher and did not know how to teach her. Even though the program is easy to follow and progresses at a good pace, it was definately NOT easy. Frankly it was like pulling teeth! We did one lesson per day. It took about 20 minutes, and it was 20 painful minutes. We stopped at lesson 40 when she started JK. I think it gave her a good base to start school. The school sent home sight word sheets to work on and we did those rather lazily. When my daughter turned 5 this january, she asked if we could do the sight word sheets faster. She set a goal for herself. Since she was now not only interested but also eager to learn, I pulled out the book again. We went back a few lessons to review and this time things went sooo well! The lessons now are finished in less than 10 minutes. It's no longer pulling teeth, but a joy to see how she is progressing. It has definately helped her with her sight words. The strategies she has learned in the book, such as stretching sounds, were reinforced at school. Techniques she learned in class, has helped with the book lessons. We are now at lesson 65 and moving along well. She has read Go Dog Go, and Are You My Mother. We also uses the Bob Books series as quick wins, and encouragement.
The intro to the book says the program should not be used if the child can already read. I don't entirely agree with this. Yes, the book uses funny spelling, but that is easy enough to adapt too. I think that the school program, in addition to the book, has really given her tools to learn to read. The 2 programs worked well together and supported each other, to her benefit.
Overall, the program is excellent. We don't do the writing part and I don't follow the silly script, but it doesn't take much to adapt the parent part without affecting the flow or spirit of the lesson.
In conclusion, the program is easy to follow, but in the beginning, the lessons are far from easy, as your child gets frustrated and so do you, as the parent. At some point though, and I think it happened in school, their minds open up, and then things do get much easier, even enjoyable. I am glad we came back to the book and didn't quit when things were hard.
Good luck, you won't regret the hard work, you as a parent put in, and in the end you will be delighted to see your child reading and decoding words using the strategies they learned through the program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book! One suggestion, Jan. 27 2004
Kelly Stockdale (Cartersville, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
This book is wonderful! My son who is 5 years old is halfway through in three weeks. Yes, three weeks! In the beginning he could not read any words except for the words Yellow and Red - and his name:)
One suggestion that I would HIGHLY recommend is that you start out making sure that when your child sounds out the letters such as "L" to not sound it out like "La" or the letter "D" as "Duh". My son had a hard time in the beginning reading Old because he would say O la dah. Also, what I did that REALLY helped was tell my child to sound out EACH letter slowly and listen to what he just said and then say it FAST. (slow - fast method works VERY well IF you tell the child to listen to himself and then say it fast WITHOUT trying to guess what it says). Many times they do not know the word or never heard of it so...naturally, it confuses them:)
Occassionally, if I felt that it was getting harder for him, I would go backwards without him knowing. This way he would not get frustrated and lose his interest in reading. Homeschooling with this book has been a real blessing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Jan. 27 2004
Karl Houseknecht (Palmyra, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
Have completed 8 lessons so far with our 4.5 year-old and she is sounding out simple 3 letter words on her own.
It's easy! Each lesson outlines in script form exactly what you say and do, and what your child must say and do. There are even scripted explanations of how to correct mistakes. All you need is the book, a pencil and some ruled paper.
Caveats:
You MUST do 1 lesson EVERY day for 100 days. No skipping days or lessons.
You MUST read and understand the introduction and "teachers guide" before doing any of the lessons, or it isn't going to work.
The good news is that the lessons rarely take more than 15 minutes to complete, including preparation time.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has not hampered our love of reading., Jan. 12 2004
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
This book helped my three year old DECODE the first couple of books in the Bob Book series after just 10 lessons! My daughter and I have had fun making these lessons our own "one on one" game time.
Children who know how to figure out "code" but have no skills in enjoying a book or comprehending it do not have this book to blame. A book or program can not replace a living example (parent or teacher) who is excited about reading and makes reading an adventure. A parent who reads to their child often will give their child a glimpse into a world full of adventure... and this book helps give the child their own key to that world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Sept. 21 2003
Amazon Customer "lmschreck" (Aberdeen, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book. I am homeschooling for the first time and it has given me the confidence I needed. It is very clear about how to teach your child and has a step by step guide which is what I needed for just beginning.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book short-changes the reading process., Sept. 22 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
This book instructs you to use distorted print and contrived stories to teach your child to read phonetically. According to current research on reading acquisition, this method is not appropriate! Yes, children need to learn phonics. But do not short-change your children by using phonics-only driven text, such as this book recommends. Using phonics alone is like playing a game of baseball with only homerun potential. (Yes, McGuire can hit homeruns...but how valuable would he be to his team if that was all that he could do? Or, how successful would Pete Sampras be if all he could do is hit backhands?)
Children need to learn phonics in the context of real reading. Use environmental print (store signs, street signs, labels, etc.) and beautifully illustrated, rhyming, repetitious children's books to expose young children to written language. Through the use of high-interest children's books, children will begin to understand phonics. In addition to phonics, they will begin to understand ALL of the clues used to decode print (sentence meaning, sentence structure, picture clues, parts of words and background knowledge.
If you have questions about appropriate ways to help your children learn to read, ask a teacher, a reading specialist or send yiour questions to me via e-mail. (I work with educators and parents throughout the USA on the topics of parent involvement and family literacy.)
Learning to read goes far beyond phonics, contrived stories and distorted print as this books recommends.

5.0 out of 5 stars 13 lessons in and going well!, April 10 2014
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
My 5 year old is doing really well with this book. We're at the stage now where we are starting to put sounds together and this book explains it in a way that is super easy to teach and understand. He is also understanding the concept of rhyming, which has been really hard to teach.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent resource, Feb. 12 2014
This review is from: Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (Paperback)
used it for my first, working through it with my second--it's an excellent resource and I'd recommend it to anyone trying to teach their child how to read.

ARRAY(0xc01302c4)

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Elaine Bruner (Paperback - June 15 1986)
CDN$ 26.00 CDN$ 16.30