Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

The Magic Of Thinking Big
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$14.39+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 2, 2004
I could repeat everyone else's comments, or I could just give a quick overview of why I think you should read this book.
This book is a must-read for any person serious about improving themselves as a manager, a husband or wife, a friend, or a person in general. There are a lot of mediocre self-help books out there, and its refreshing to go back and re-read The Magic of Thinking Big, which is one of the few that sets the standard. I would classify this at the same level as Think and Grow Rich and How to win Friends and Influence People. This is one of those rare books thats actually flawless, and thats why it gets 5 stars.
on April 22, 2011
This book is nothing more than many pieces of excellent advice with descriptive examples. TMOTB tells you how to be a better employee, a better boss, a better entrepreneur, and a better partner in your relationships. If you read the book, make summaries on some cards, and gradually incorporate the lessons into your life, there is no doubt you will achieve more success in all aspects of your life. Of course, reading and having good intentions is easy; the difficult part is making the changes, putting in the necessary effort.
The reason I give only four stars is the following: the book was written a long time ago, and it shows. The examples are dated, "he" is used throughout, and women are portrayed in a manner outdated by a half century. Despite this major flaw, I strongly recommend the book to those determined to improve their lives.
on May 17, 2004
David Schwartz is amazing.He raelly sets standard for his readers.This book is so wonderful,it will show its power only after reading 10 pages.Can you imagine what after reading complete book?
This book not only for MLM leaders but everyone of all ages should read it.
Author shows us how powerful our belief is,Then how to stop giving excuses,What is thinking big & how to think.How to use the power of words by speaking positive.
Our thoughts create our world.Change thoughts change your world.
This book will uncover the leader in you.Just follow your dreams & instructions given in this book.You & people around you will feel the different you in 1 month.
It worked for me, it will work for you too.
on January 14, 2012
Found this book as one that needs to be re read several times with a highliter or pen/pencil because of the vast amount of tips and suggestions that it provides. Not a book to just read BUT study.
on February 14, 2009
The magic of Thinking Big demonstrates the principles of success and achieving your goals. I read through the book in a week and will definitely re-read this book over and over as the principles in this book are highly motivational and positive. After reading each chapter I felt energized and motivated to apply the principles just learned. I highly recommend this book as the writing is easy to understand and gives excellent values to live by.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I read this book when it was first published in 1959 and recently re-read it in combination with Richard Newton's The Little Book of Thinking Big, published 55 years later. There are differences between them, of course. (How could there not be?) However, they both stress the great importance of personal accountability, of taking ownership of the consequences of one's decision. I agree that we cannot control everything that happens to us but we can control how we respond to whatever happens to us. Also, both David Schwartz and Newton are convinced -- as am I -- that most human limits are self-imposed. This is what Henry Ford had in mind many years ago when observing, "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right."

To that last point, the title of Chapter 1 in The Magic of Thinking Big is "Believe You Can Succeed and You Will." As we all know, the fact that we are certain that we will succeed does not ensure that we will. It is true, however, that we are more likely to succeed with a positive rather than with negative attitude. Schwartz urges his reader to think big and it all starts with self-image: "You're bigger than you think. So, fit your thinking to your true size."

So, how to think big? Schwartz offers five suggestions:

1. Don't sell yourself short: If you don't believe in you and what you can accomplish, why should anyone else?

2. Use the big thinker's vocabulary: It really is possible to talk yourself into or out of success. Which do you prefer, success or failure?

3. Stretch your vision: Whatever it may be, double or triple its scale. So what if your goal had been earning $10,000 a month and you're "only" earning $7,500? What if the goal had been to earn $5,000 a month?

4. Get the big view of your job: If you think small, you will be small. The same is true of jobs. Think of your current job as a bridge to a much better position. How strong is your bridge?

5. Think about trivial things: Don't let them drag you down. Focus on big objectives and take care of details that help you to achieve.

I presume to add one more: Avoid losers. You know who they are. They have more "crutches" than the International Red Cross. They see themselves as victims and refuse to assume any responsibility for their failures and inadequacies. Their negativity and self-pity can be contagious.

Although some of Schwartz's material may seem dated, even quaint, his core insights and practical advice are still relevant and can help almost anyone to avoid or overcome self-defeating attitudes and behaviors.

To repeat, "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right." The choice is yours.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
"Sow a thought and you reap an action. Sow an act and you reap a habit. Sow a habit and you reap a character. Sow a character and you reap a destiny."
The Magic of Thinking Big sets the standard by which all other 'self-help' books should be measured. This classic will help you break through the excuses that have held you back from personal success. You will learn how to build your confidence, destroy fear through action, and overcome obstacles to turn defeat into victory. The dollar figures and some of the words in this book are dated, but the principles are timeless.
This book is a self-administered training program. Although wordy at times, the last twelve chapters have summaries that help you condense and apply each lesson to your life right away. Each of the 13 chapters deserves to be read, re-read, digested and applied over time. One chapter per week will allow you to read it four times per year. Extreme? Perhaps, but if any book is worth such an exercise, this is one. Try it and see.
Start to sow big thoughts...and reap a big destiny.
Larry Hehn, author of Get the Prize: Nine Keys for a Life of Victory
on July 20, 2002
Simple actionable advice for self-improvement. Basically, we are what we think, so think big.
1) Build confidence in yourself. Action reduces fear, so act.
Take small steps at first: Sit in the front everywhere you go, practice eye contact, walk 25% faster, practice speaking up, smile big, use positve words.
2) Think and dream creatively. Believe that it can be done and then the mind finds a way to get it done. Be open to new ideas and be progressive. Stimulate yourself with diverse ideas from diverse people. Capacity is a state of mind.
3) You are what you think. "The price tag you put on yourself, is probably the same price tag that the world will put on you." (pg 75) Dress up. Think your work is important. Think enthusiastically. Ask yourself if you are the type of manager that a subordinate would respect and follow?
4) Manage your environment because it is food for your mind.
People who tell you that it cannot be done are usually unsuccessful people.
5) Make your attitudes your allies. Live it up. Broadcast good news. Do better work that others expect. Remember people's names. Take initiative to build friendships. Talk less. Listen.
6) Get the action habit. Nothing happens just by thinking. Do not worry about problems. You can handle them as they come. Successful people handle problems as they arise. You cannot buy insurance on all problems. Start now.
7) Turn defeat into victory. Defeat is a state of mind. Be constructively self-critical; do not just look for another reason that you are a loser. Think that there IS A WAY. If it does not work, then back off and start afresh. Get mentally refreshed.
8) Use goals to help you grow. Goal is a dream acted upon. "The important thing is not where you were or where you are but where you want to get." (pg 195) Know where you want to go. Visualize your future.
9) How to think like a leader. Achieving success requires the help of others. Trade minds with the people you want to influence. "What would I think if I were that person?" Be human, and put people first.
The last words of the book, sum up its meaning:
"A wise man will be master of His Mind. A Fool will be Its Slave."
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As with many books that I am writing reviews for, I first read this book more than 6 years ago, and have reread it many times thereafter.
And I am so happy to see, from the notes in my margins where I have learned to read people. This has given me a level of power that before reading this book was not even imaginable.
Thanks to reading this book, I have learned to be fully in the present moment, in 99% of my interactions with others.
And while fully in this moment, during excitement, I can seem to be too calm, but I am really mastering listening to the point that I am absorbing details, while I separate who my interlocutor is, from who I am, so that I make decisions, during our interactions that represent my highest self. I savor each moment, as I listen to my subconscious voice.
Dr. David Schwartz, advises the readers to be a scientist in the lab of human behavior. I am definitely that.
From this latest reread, I have created a new habit that has made me feel really great - and my customers feel really great. That habit is to answer the phone with, "Good morning. It's a awesome day. May I sell you some publicity/coaching lessons/seminars (whichever is appropriate)?"
Another habit which I acquired during the first read of this book is to write a commercial, to sell myself to myself.
My commercial is a one-page sales pitch, that repeats the product/service, which is "Carmen." It describes many things about me. And it reminds me to focus upon being big enough for what I want.
This book contains, literally hundreds of suggestions for readers to improve their ability to get the best out of life.
Read this book, because you deserve the best of yourself. And as you read this book, practice listening to your subconscious self, while you jot down a few notes in the margins.
This will condition you to listen to others, while you count upon yourself.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
"As one thinketh in his heart, so is he" Think big and you'll live big. You'll live big in happiness. You'll live big in accomplishment. Big in income. Big in Friends. Big in respect.Magic of Thinking Big by Dr. David Schwartz is full of promises to turn dreams true! When one starts dreaming, thoughts create action and this is when one realize 'Thinking power' is more effective than one's intelligence! All one need to make another big Resolution is to eliminate the word 'Impossible' which is a failure word. "Won't work", "Can't be done", "It's useless", "It's stupid" and such thoughts should never let a person shrug off helpless but instead "I-can-do-better" attitude makes a big difference. The author says, Some people have a belief "You-can't-get-ahead-so-don't-bother-to try' but this is absolutely a lame excuse and if you 'Think Big', there is a sure way that lets you climb a few steps grabbing in the moments of opportunities and experiences that come your way. And believe me, I adopted this Magic - Sure stepped me up 'Thinking Big' Dr. Schwartz cover all factors, to sum up:
1.Be likeable. Practice being the kind of person people like. This wins support and put fuel in their success-building program.
2.Be friendly. Take initiative and introduce yourself to others at every opportunity. Scratch out the negative influence from your records.
3.Accept human differences and limitations. All people cannot be perfect. So, don't anticipate perfection and don't criticize. Each person has a right to be different.
4.Tune into 'Good Thought Station' Think Positive.
5.Practice conversation generosity. Act like successful person and you are! Encourage others to talk. Let others talk to you about his views, opinions, and accomplishments. Just Ask! In process, you get your own answers to your questions too.
6.Practice courtesy. This makes others feel better and you feel better too.
7.Don't blame others when you receive a setback. This will lose your own determination to face challenges.