5.0 out of 5 stars Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
Published on May 19 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Magic pebble?
This is a touching story of parents and child with some magic thrown in. A boy donkey is out collecting pebbles when he finds a particularly special one that also has the power to grand wishes. When he runs into a lion, he accidentally wishes himself into a rock. He can't change himself back because he can't speak or hold the pebble in his hand. His parents get the...
Published on May 20 2002 by Jay

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, May 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble (Paperback)
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble is a meaningful story about a donkey named Sylvester Duncan. On a mysterious day, Sylvester found a magic pebble and realized that the special pebble would grant him any wish. Suddenly he sees a lion, and in a panick, out of all the things he could have wished for, he wished to turn into a rock. Meanwhile, Mr. and Mrs. Duncan were frantically worried, as Sylvester had not returned home. I enjoyed this story, as it makes the reader aware of the love and joy families should share, and to always be careful for what you wish for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3 2014
Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It, Dec 26 2012
This review is from: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble (Paperback)
My parents bought me this book when I was young and it was one of my favourites. Even though I am an adult and read much longer books now, I still love reading this one now and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars A rock forever?, May 28 2004
Sherri R. Myers "book reviewer" (Upper Strasburg, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble (Paperback)
Sylvester the donkey collects rocks, and when he finds a special one, he adds it to his collection. While holding it , he wishes for the rain to stop, and it does. Finding that the pebble is magic, Sylvester hurries on his way to tell his parents. However, on the way home, he is confronted by a lion hungry for donkey for lunch. Remembering the magic pebble, Sylvester wishes to be a rock. Bad decision! With no way of holding the rock, Sylvester cannot change himself back to a donkey after the threat is gone. Will he be a rock forever?
Great story, Caldecott medal winner. Subtly teaches your kids that "things" aren't the important things in life, your family is. Short and enjoyable, this is one your kids won't ever want to part with and will pass on to their children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, May 18 2004
This review is from: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble (Paperback)
I am a granma to 3 beautiful grandaughters and when my children where little my middle son's teacher read him this book at school he was so touched by it that when i saw an article on william steig and realised that it was the same author who has since written shrek i determined to purchase this wonderful book for my grandchildren who i must say have enjoyed it as much as my children did. A wonderful story teaches children that its not always pleasant to get what you wish for and sometimes its just nice to be grateful for what you've got.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you believe in magic (pebbles)?, April 10 2004
E. R. Bird "Ramseelbird" (Manhattan, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble (Paperback)
A worrisome tale wrought with sorrow and, ultimately, joy. But, just the same, a worrisome tale. In this classic Steig work, a young donkey comes across a magic pebble. The pebble is round and smooth and a brilliant red. Entranced by it, Sylvester finds that he can wish for whatsoever he chooses and instantly receive it. Overjoyed he turns for home, but finds himself confronting a hungry lion. In his haste and fear, Sylvester accidentally wishes he were a rock. Unfortunately, this wish works but leaves Sylvester trapped in his new rocky form. And when his parents look for him high and low and cannot find him, Sylvester is believed to be forever lost. But as I said, all turns out well in the end.
This story is somewhat heart-wrenching to parents. Certainly the kids that read it will understand how sad Sylvester would be to potentially never return home again. And parents reading this will be overwhelmed with the emotions involved with the loss of a child. Perhaps this story won the 1970 Caldecott medal because it does go so far as to directly touch on this most sensitive of topics. At the same time, this may be a kids book but it's too much for me. Silly, isn't it? I can zip through William Styron's "Sophie's Choice" and have a grand old time, but "Sylvester and the Magic Pebble" reduces me to a pile of wobbling jello. Enjoy with caveats galore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, Nov. 5 2003
By A Customer
Sylvester and The Magic Pebble, William Steig, Aladdin Library
This is a great, fictional, picture book. Sylvester the donkey has always loved collecting pebbles. One time he found a pebble that could grant wishes. On a rainy day when he was on his way home he saw a lion. He made a rational wish to be a rock. The thing is, once he was a rock he couldn't move to reach the pebble and wish himself back to normal. Read about Sylvester's life as a rock and what happens on the day his parents decide to go for a picnic.
The main character, in this book is Sylvester. He is a young, brown donkey, with pointy ears and a wart on his left forelock, (until he wished it away). He is an only child and is friends with all the colts and kittens, and other young animals. Sylvester seems so like a human that in some parts of the book you forget he is a donkey. The other two important characters are Mrs. and Mr. Duncan. They are like normal people. The father reads the newspaper and the mother knits while Sylvester looks at his pebble collection. They were heartbroken when Sylvester didn't come home from playing outside. Just like regular parents when they lose their child.
This is a great book and children and adults of all ages will enjoy it. The pictures are wonderful and help to explain the story to younger children. If you are looking for a good, funny, family picture book this is a great one. I loved this book because it was about something most people would never think of writing about. It's funny and almost sad in some places. I encourage everyone to read this book once, if not more.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite books, Oct. 16 2003
chicoer2003 "chicoer2003" (Fresno, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble (Paperback)
I loved this book when I was a child. The story is awesome and the pictures are so cute. A great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute Little Story, July 1 2003
Melissa O'Dell "coachmissy" (Charleston, WV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sylvester and the Magic Pebble (Paperback)
I am a student at West Virignia State College taking Children's Literature. As part of our assignment, we were to read a Caldecott Award Winning Book and write our personal review.
I thought the book was adorable! It was a cute story and I am confident that small children would enjoy this book. The artwork is bright and vivid and tells the story right along with the words. It could be used as tool to teach children about wishing for things that we want is not always good for us.
The choice of words used in the story was ones that allow opportunity to teach new vocabulary words or new ideas to younger children. Some examples are ceased, perplexed, bewildered, and frantic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming Story With an Unlikely Hero, March 29 2003
Maximillian Ben Hanan (Sacramento, California, USA) - See all my reviews
"Sylvester and the Magic Pebble" is a charming children's story about a donkey family, the Duncans, and their son Sylvester who has an insatiable urge to collect pebbles of unusual shape and color. Life is just fine for the Duncans until Sylvester finds a magic pebble that grants wishes. Sylvester gets very excited after finding out by trial and error in a very childlike way that his latest pebble grants wishes. He rushes home to tell his parents and bumps into a lion on the way home. Being a young donkey, he has no idea how to wish himself out of danger with the lion so he wishes to...
One of the story's biggest surprises is that Sylvester's big wish to save himself from the lion is very to predict. I certainly, as an adult, would never have guessed what Sylvester wished for to save himself from the lion.
I picked up a very inexpensive soft cover edition of this book as a gift for the little boy I home-school. He has severe seizures that doctors haven't figured out how to control yet with medication. As a result he can't attend school and must be home-schooled until they find medications that can control his seizures. In addition, he is a Ukrainian immigrant who has been here less than a year so he is an LEP (Limited English Proficiency) student. I relate this information because it does relate to my book review since he was the child I purchased the book.
Being that my student relies upon me, his home-school teacher, for his entire link to schooling, education, and English training, I needed a book that:
1. Was well illustrated to keep a child's interest who didn't understand many of the words.
2. Had a touching story that made both of us thoughtful (and could cheer him up as well).
3. Had appropriate language for a child still in the developing stages of learning English.
4. Could somehow be relevant to the life of a child stuck at home with illness.
"Sylvester and the Magic Pebble" was everything I asked for. The Duncans are a loving donkey family in the story and their love for another comes through in both the writing and illustrations. Both my student and I enjoyed the story and we're still reading it until my student will be able to read it on his own (He's getting closer too!).
I don't want to give away the story, but Sylvester wishes himself into a rock to escape the lion. Unfortunately as a rock, Sylvester couldn't make more wishes with the rock to return to being a donkey boy. The rest of the story relates how Sylvester felt as a rock, how his parents missed him and searched for him, and how Sylvester eventually returns to being a donkey boy again. My student related Sylvester being a rock to being stuck at home with seizures. The language, while at an intermediate to advanced level of English fluency, was appropriate with a little scaffolding (a fancy education term that means preparing the student with vocabulary and new concepts). Both my student and I loved "Sylvester and the Magic Pebble."
I highly recommend "Sylvester and the Magic Pebble" to parents and children. It's a charming story that's innovative and distinctive from others.
Review by: Maximillian Ben Hanan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig (Paperback - April 2 1987)
CDN$ 9.50 CDN$ 9.02