4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice book
The 'Emerald' flew across the seas, its black hull teasing the waves, its sails whipping on the wind. Abroad was the pirate Pagan -despised by the ton, whose riches this scroundel plundered: beloved by the poor, whose plight was eased by the pirate's gifts.
The Marquess of Cainewood vows to hunt down the pirate wretch in revenge for his brother's death.
But when...
Published on June 27 2001 by Claire

3.0 out of 5 stars A great story! Except for Caine.
Published on Oct. 8 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars A great story! Except for Caine., Oct. 8 2002
This review is from: Guardian Angel (Mass Market Paperback)
This is an exceptionally interesting story literally beginning on page 1. There's lots wrong with this book, but the plot is top notch. Jade's one of the best heroines ever. And one can't ever discount JG's talent, wit and humor - unmatched by any other author. However, I wasn't overly pleased with Caine. I hated the way he groveled over Jade when he decided he loved her. I never really got the convincing feeling he was that handsome, strong, masculine, or anything else, unlike, say, Gabriel from 'Saving Grace.' Now he was the perfect hero. NO FLAWS. I usually find JG's arrogant, macho heros endearing and loveable, but this Caine fellow was abusively possessive. It's one thing for the hero to give his lady a possessive stare, a jealous growl, even a word or two about how she 'belongs' to him, but Caine bruised Jade by grabbing her arms! What an idiot! Jade, as I mentioned, was truly a great character, very strong, very intelligent, until her relationship with Caine became serious. Then she turned into an imbecile, weak, submissive, and ignorant. Here was a woman who'd survived by her wits, and along comes Caine, who thinks she can't even walk without him telling her to put one foot in front of the other.
In the fabulous book, THE GIFT, Caine is a totally different character. He's a mild gentleman. But Jade is nearly unrecognizable. She's so overly domesticated her spirit seems to have been crushed somewhere along the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice book, June 27 2001
This review is from: Guardian Angel (Mass Market Paperback)
But when Jade, an enchanting vision of riplling red hair and yes of fire green,appears at his door to beg desperately for his protection, the Marquess agrees to keep her safe from the villians who want her dead.Jade is infuriating, exasperating and gorgeous; caine is nole, strong willed and powerful. No woman has ever befuddled him so, nor so deeply roused his desire. But as Jade responds to his knowing caresses with an innocent, wild abandon, they are drawn into a web of treachery that will test the very heart of their love! (text taken from book cover)
Another charming book by Julie Garwood. A funny, sensual book. Its not really a pirate story and the mystery is one which alert reader will discover almsot immediately but still this does not detract at all from the charm of this book. As I think most of ms Garwood's heroines, Jade is an adorable clumsy creature ...at least she acts like one - she gives rise to some rather humorous situations. No real sense of danger in the book - its an easy and pleasant reader which most readers will certainly enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 star book, May 3 2001
Joyce M. Deshaw (Montana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guardian Angel (Mass Market Paperback)
First think I want to say is that I CANNOT believe people are giving this books something other than a 4 or 5! I don't think they were reading the same book as me, especially the one who thinks that she is named Sara!? How do you get Sara out of Jade??? Well anyhoo...I could not put this book down. The beginning is hilarious...I was laughing so hard I had to wipe the tears that were blurring the words on the page from my eyes!(I had that problem a lot during this book!) Right from the start Julie Garwood spins a magnificent tale around Jade and Cain. The dialoge is funny and witty, the plot is VERY well thought out, I, who usually guesses who the bad "guy" is well before the mystery gets unraveled, was amazed with who it was, I mean I would have not guessed in a thousand years it was.....well, i'll let you find out for yourself.
Even though this book was great from the first page until the last, The best scene is where Cain is with Jade's uncle and her men and they all are telling Cain what their nicknames are for her, I just wish I were really in the book to see the look on his face. Oh well, All in all, you are crazy if you don't buy this book, and even crazier if you don't like it!!! In my opinion, and lots others, this is WELL beyond a 5 star book!

4.0 out of 5 stars This one has it all, humor,adventure and romance!, Jan. 18 2001
WHoosierBookie "whoosierbookie" (Crown Point, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guardian Angel (Mass Market Paperback)
Cain the Marquess of Cainwood sets out to avenge the death of his much loved brother, Colin. He prepares a trap for the mysterious pirate, Pagan, of whom not much is known except that he killed Colin. Cain's plan is to set up shop at a bar on the seedier side of town and act as if HE is Pagan. Cain figures that once Pagan hears of the imposter, he'll make an appearance. Cain waits patiently each night, prepared for Pagan's wrath. One night after closing, he hears the door of the bar slam open. He turns, expecting to see Pagan and prepares for his revenge. He does not expect to see the beautiful but disheveled Lady Jade and he is really not prepared for her offer. Thinking Cain is Pagan, she offers him 30 pieces of silver to kill her.(And this is just the first chapter!) There are so many twists and turns in this story. Everyone seems to be lying or bending the truth about their circumstance, past, and even name.
I thought the the true strength in the plot was the romance between Cain and Jade. Cain falls in love with Jade first. He tells her that he loves her first. He is perfectly content to to say "I love you" without hearing Jade say it back. He's confident that he will hear her say it when she is ready. A bit arrogant? He is that, and overprotective, demanding, bossy, and cranky! It is all part of his charm as a man in love. He is so supportive of Jade, especially when he realizes that all of her loved ones have left her at some point in her life. Cain calmly waits for Jade to realize that he's not going anywhere.
I did think that when all the explanations were handed out, the story dragged on a bit. Everytime a character appeared that was out of the loop, the explanations were given again and again. It all could have been said the one time and alluded to after that.
Cain's butler was hysterical as well as Uncle Harry (how many pairs of spectacles does one man need?).
All things considered, there are a lot more strengths than weaknesses in the plot. I will keep this book and enjoy it repeatedly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a 5 star rating but still a good book..., Oct. 10 2000
Abbys (Moreno Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guardian Angel (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is the second book of a series of four: The series begins with the Lion's Lady, followed by The Guardian Angel, then The Gift and lastly, Castles. The characters in all 4 books are friends/related to each other. It is more fitting if you know each character before reading the next book. If you read it in this order, I think it will bring more excitement as some questions are answered on the later book. Some secrets are also revealed beforehence.
The reason why I didn't give this book a 5 star rating was because the love story of Cain and Sara wasn't as appealing as I thought it was in the beginning. They were both interesting at first (how they met, their personality and how the story moved along) but the action twist over shadowed their romantic relationship. Towards the middle & to the end, their relationship begun to sound too 'ordinary' for my taste. There was no more excitement... kindda like I knew what was gonna happend next. The romance wasn't as heart warming as i expected it to be.
Despite my above comment, I find the action twist of this book rather exciting. The true identity of Pagan, which I may say was a total surprise to me. The suspense of an unexpected turn of situations and scenes, all made this book a page turner. All the secondary characters such as Sara's brother (Nathan-who will be the hero in THE GIFT), Cain's brother (Colin-who will be the hero in CASTLE), the family and the ship crews contributed a lot in making this book worth reading for.
It may not be a 5 star rating for me but it is definitely still a good book to past your time. Also, a keeper in your collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pirates, Murder, Romance....., July 28 2000
Ashley (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guardian Angel (Mass Market Paperback)
In Julie Garwood's GUARDIAN ANGEL, Jade is a strong, beautiful woman with flaming red hair and green eyes, and some secrets of her own. Her love interest is Caine, an imposing man with dark hair and gray eyes. In the beginning of the novel, Caine is seeking out a pirate named Pagan whom he believes killed his brother. In hopes of drawing the pirate out, Caine masquerades as Pagan, knowing the pirate will be enraged upon hearing of someone else stealing the notorious pirate's name. Caine's plot is interrupted somewhat when the beautiful Jade knocks on the door of his home later that night and begs for his protection against people who are trying to kill her. The rest of the novel is colored with intrigue in the war department, pirates, murder plots, and the growing romance between Jade and Caine as Garwood keeps us madly turning the pages to an ultimately satisfying conclusion.
So why did I give it less than five stars? Well, I'd like to point out I felt there were good parts and bad parts about GUARDIAN ANGEL. I was very intrigued by the plot because--well--pirates are just plain sexy!! C'mon ladies, we can admit it--pirates are VERY SEXY! However, I felt as though the pirate aspect of the novel wasn't played up as much as it could've or should've been. Instead, GUARDIAN ANGEL was more concerned with the political intrigue and the on-going power struggle between Caine and Jade. However, in its favor, GUARDIAN ANGEL does actually have a plot. (All of us who regularly read romance novels recognize sometimes the plot becomes nearly an afterthought to the characters' relationship!)
My concerns about the plot itself were relatively minor. My main reason for not giving the novel a higher rating was the characterization of Caine and Jade. I liked Jade's character because she was intelligent, independent, and clever--someone who was able to look out for herself and think fast on her feet in difficult situations. So when she started being treated as Caine's doormat, I was left with my mouth dropped open in surprise and shock. It irritated me that although she was so brave and strong, she could be reduced to being anyone's doormat, least of all the man who was supposed to love and cherish her. I think Garwood asked too much of us when she asked us to believe Jade would back down so easily.
I certainly didn't hate the story, but Garwood just didn't develop Caine's better qualities well enough for me. Garwood should've made him more tender towards Jade, instead of putting his needs above her own. After meeting him in her novel THE GIFT, I was left with a sour taste in my mouth when Caine grabbed Jade roughly enough that he actually left bruises. I think a man who uses his strength to protect "his woman" instead of to hurt her is much more attractive! The male characters in the other Julie Garwood books I've read have been less controlling and possessive, and more "manly" for it.
My only other complaint is how similar all of Garwood's female characters are. They are all excessively beautiful, have a sprinkle of freckles on their noses, moan sexily while being intimate with their husbands, and smell like ROSES--they ALL smell like ROSES! I like roses, but maybe someone could smell like...oh, I don't know, lilacs? It would be nice to have more variety with Garwood's female characters instead of feeling like you're meeting the same character in a different story. I love reading about brave, beautiful women, but I do prefer feeling as though they're unique individuals.
Enjoy this book if you've already picked it up, and if you're Julie Garwood fan looking for another of her "pirate" novels, pick up THE GIFT. Otherwise, I recommend Garwood's novel RANSOM or SAVING GRACE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Enjoyed it!, June 6 2000
Pamela Leung "pamahla" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guardian Angel (Mass Market Paperback)
Ms. Garwood surely knows how to write, and it's cleary proven in her novel, Guardian Angel. Jade, our fabulous heroine, is on a mission to protect Caine, our gorgeous hero. But in order for Jade to keep Caine safe, she generates lies in order to cover up her true identity. what her true identity is, I cannot say, for that would ruin the story. However, the romance between Jade and Caine I can write about. The love between Jade and Caine is extremely emotional. Love for Caine comes pretty easily to him, but for Jade it was a lot more difficult for her to express her emotions. Jade grew up with an extremely harsh childhood, only with her brother and her uncle taking care of her. But her brother and uncle would always abandon her, or more like leave her at home so she could be kept safe, while they were off on important sea business. Jade learns quickly about keeping up appearances, in other words, masking her true feelings. But as soon as she meets Caine, she realizes that Caine is able to make her be her real self, and feel love and feel cherished.
The book is filled with cute and funny scenes. Little endearments that Caine uses on Jade, and especially the ending, is wonderful! Read the book, you'll love it.
P.S. This is the second novel part of a 4-part series. The Lion's Lady, GUARDIAN ANGEL, the Gift, and Castles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will the Real Pagan please stand up, July 15 1997
This review is from: Guardian Angel (Mass Market Paperback)
The all knowing, powerful, and secretive, Marquess of Cainewood, Caine, meets his match when a young woman, Jade, asks him to please murder her. Caine, a government agent, is an expert hunter, as his code name implies. His prey now is the blood thirsty pirate, Pagan. He's avenging his brother, Collin's death. His plan, simple, impersonate the pirate to draw him from his hiding place. But, now his curiousity is peeked by Jade's request. Why would she want anyone to kill her, but specifically why Pagan?
Jade bursts into the seediest tavern in London to find Pagan. However, murder is not the true reason. Jade needs to guard Caine from danger until her brother Nathan and Caine's brother Collin can get home to find out who tried to kill them. It wasn't Pagan, but who? And, How will she pretend to be a defenseless young woman when it's not her nature. But, with her loyal men, Jimbo and Matthew, close by, it should't proof too difficult. She'd braved worst things aboard her ship as the pirate, Pagan.
The sparks ignite between Caine and Jade while each tries to be Pagan and be guardian angel to the other

5.0 out of 5 stars Top shelf, June 25 2001
Streakblondie "streakblondie" (Lower Hutt, Wellington New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guardian Angel (Mass Market Paperback)
Caine (our hero) is out to avenge the man he believes killed his brother, Colin, .... the allusive pirate, Pagan; in his quest to attract Pagan's attention, Caine stumbles across Jade (a women in need?) .... she looks just like an angel, and totally out of place in the run down, ill reputed place he's in! Jade is an independent, feisty, passionate heroine with a mysterious past .... and full proof plan to capture Caine - she wants him to kill her! A tale filled to the brim with action, humour, passion and romance. As usual Julie Garwood will manage to capture your attention with her excellent writing style and colourful characters .... I thoroughly enjoyed this story and have read it, and read it, and read it again! This is one of my favourite Garwood stories ... and if I could add an "A+" on the end of the 5 star, I certainly would. In two words: top shelf!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Garwood's best, July 21 2001
This review is from: Guardian Angel (Mass Market Paperback)
I had a difficult time getting into this book. I suppose I have been spoiled like many other JG fans by THE SECRET, RANSOM, and THE WEDDING to name a few of her 5+ star books. I have read some of her other Regency books and have not enjoyed them as much as her Medieveal books. For some reason, these books don't "feel" like Regency books if that makes any sense. And I have to agree with some of the other reviewers in that if you read these particular Regency books close together it is difficult to tell the characters apart (freckles across the nose, etc.). However, as I got into the story I did enjoy it. I liked Caine and Jade very much, but call me a prude, but I do get turned off a story when the characters are sleeping together before they are married. Overall, I think this is a good read, just not Ms. Garwood's best.

Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel by Julie Garwood (Mass Market Paperback - May 1 1990)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49