5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful crowd pleaser
Published on Dec 31 2002 by Wendy C. Darling

3.0 out of 5 stars Dude, I don't know; I'm tired.
Why are folks going on about the alarming trend of fish recipes in vegetarian cookbooks? This book could benefit from a few more fish recipes, I think. Those who have eaten at the Moosewood know that they've been serving fish for ages.
Figure that they want to get their food into peoples' mouths, and I think this one great way to do it; remember, most people, are,...
Published on Aug. 26 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful crowd pleaser, Dec 31 2002
Wendy C. Darling (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant (Paperback)
I found this in a used bookstore a few years ago. Recognizing Moosewood as something my mom and oldest sister used, plus loving all kinds of ethnic food, I figured I'd love it. I was right. This book totally changed how and what I cook. While many people focus on one type of cuisine (Italian, Indian, fast food...) I use this book and cook EVERYTHING -- Italian, Indian, Chinese, Jewish, Bulgarian, North African. My favorite and most often used recipes are Shepherd's Pie (British Isles), Moroccan Stew (North Africa), and Vegetable Biryani (India) but I've made a lot of these recipes. I made Chinese last night and it turned out tasting restaurant quality. The recipes are very tasty and the directions are great. It's also wonderful how the book has base ingredients (sauces), appetizers, soups, entrees and deserts for each type of cuisine so you can make complete meals (often there are suggestions in the recipes saying waht goes with what). The ingredient guide is very descriptive and helps you learn a lot about the herbs, vegetables, different tofu prepations. I highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't eat a lots of (or any) meat and wants to be able to cook ethnic food w/o having to worry about meat.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was skeptical, since I'm a meat & potatoes kind of guy..., March 31 2002
This review is from: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant (Paperback)
so what the heck am I doing with a vegetarian cookbook?!?? Well, I was given the book and some suggestions -- Sopa de Lima (from the Mexico section) and Saffron Butterflies. But it's a veggie cookbook, so it just sat on my shelf -- until I had dinner with the person who gave it to me. It wasn't until AFTER dinner, she told me it was recipes from this book -- the meal was so good, I didn't even notice it was meatless.
So, I tried them, and now I'm HOOKED! Sopa de Lima is great food for during halftime of basketball and football games -- and I later found out I can make it fast and easy with some simple substitutions (hint: use a jar of salsa instead of a bunch of other ingredients). Saffron Butterflies is SMOOOOOOOTH and good -- with or without some meatballs thrown in. These two were so good I've had to try others and now "Rumpledethumps" (silly name, but GREAT DISH) is a personal favorite -- I just use it as a side dish along with a London Broil. Okay, so I'm a carnivore -- these recipes are great standing alone, and most of them work well with meat added or on the side.
More than just the great recipes, this book is great for the stories, too. I never would have thought cookbooks make good reading, even when I'm not cooking, but this one is.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am on my second copy, Nov. 20 2002
C. Stewart (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant (Paperback)
I have had this book for years now and it is the one I reach for when I am looking for something "interesting" to cook. Most of the recipes are vegetarian but it is very easy to add meat if you like. I just made a banana bread last night and it was wonderful! I am almost amazed because the recipes all "work" (if you own a Martha Stewart cookbook, you KNOW what I mean!) and turn out exactly as expected. I am buying my second copy because the original is falling apart. If you have an adventurous palate, this is a wonderful springboard into cultural cooking . . . vegetarian or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars My FAVORITE cookbook, and NOT just for vegetarians., March 8 2002
Nancy Bolton-Rawles (Nevada City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant (Paperback)
I have used this book so much over the years it is falling apart! I have many vegetarian and non-vegetarian friends over for dinner and this book gives me a winning recipe every time! The absolute favorite is the Capetown Fruit and Vegetable Curry, a South African recipe. The spices are to die for: such as cumin, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric, fennel and cardamon. This is not the off the shelf curry...which I don't usually like. This book has too many favorites to mention, but a good cook cannot do without this book. A MUST for any well rounded kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proving that tofu can taste good!, June 26 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant (Paperback)
I had reservations about this book since I usually only buy cookery books with photos, and this book has none. That said, I thought I'd give it a go, since the food at the Moosewood resaurant is so great.
The focus is on cuisine from around the world, with each section including an interesting precursor to the region, detailing a little history of the area/writer/recipes.
The recipes offer a really good variety of international cuisine (including numerous fish dishes for the "pesco-vegetarians" amongst us). I was thrilled to also find a British section included, since this is an area of the world that gets so often slammed for it's cuisine. (The Shepherd's Pie recipe is a must!)
It's a rare cookery book indeed in which all the recipes you try turn out well - but this is certainly one of them. This has now become my staple recipe book, and comes thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars At first I doubted..., June 8 2000
M. Puvogel "kashakesh" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant (Paperback)
but the end result of that night's cooking proved to be the most insanely delicious soup that I had ever had in my life - and strangely, I had a hand in it!
Thanks moosewood cookbook, you're the best!
I believe we made 3 or 4 recipies out of the book that night for our party of eight - every one was an absolute hit. The ingredient combos seem at first glance to almost be a joke - but the only joke is that I hadn't tried them before.
I enjoyed especially the fact that the chapters are 'regionalized.' Whether I am in the mood for something spicy, Asiatic, and light - or something creamy, African, and solid - there is always going to be something in there for me to experiemnt with.

5.0 out of 5 stars These recipes are almost as good as eating at the Moosewood, Oct. 2 1997
Wen Zientek (kaleidos@ultranet.com) (Marlborough, Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant (Paperback)
I own all of the Moosewood Cookbooks and this book is most likely my favorite. All of the cookbooks are wonderful and the recipes are always great. This book combines the simple goodness of the Moosewoods normal recipes (vegetarian, but not *weird* vegetarian) with a decided ethnic flare. I am not a vegetarian but with recipes like these you don't even notice that they are vegetarian recipes. This book is especially nice because of the many cultures that are highlighted as well as the in depth information that is given about each area or culture. Because each section is edited by different authors you get a real feel for each region as well as each author. It is truly a delightful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even the picky children of the authors agree!, Feb. 26 2001
Mona Gracen (New York State, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant (Paperback)
My father was one of the lead contributors on this cookbook (he wrote the English food section). I grew up involved in Moosewood and was always a firm believer in McDonald's as a result. However, as I grew up I became a bit more adventuress in my eating habits. And as an adult I use this cookbook very often. It is my favorite of the Moosewood bunch - and about as close to eating at the world famous restaurant as being there. Don't be fooled - the "original" Moosewood cookbook isn't actually indicative of the restaurant itself. Sunday's at Moosewood, however, is the real deal! Come visit them in Ithaca some time! We're a beautiful town and we serve some good food!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking for the storyteller, March 13 2000
Sarah Wetzel (Jacksonville, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant (Paperback)
I am what you might call a fair-weather-cook. I only find myself heading to the kitchen when I am swept up by some romantic or ecstatic urge to create. Sundays at Moosewood is my one and only cookbook because it's the only one that whips up my creativity enough to drive me into the kitchen to make some magic. As a professional writer, I am inspired by the storytelling that accompanies the recipies. Often I find myself enjoying picturing the images that led up to the finding of the recipe as much as I am enjoying the food itself. p.s. meat-eaters will love it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my most-used cookbook., March 3 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant (Paperback)
I've used Sundays at Moosewood so much that it has fallen apart into three pieces, and I need to buy a new one. The book is a good read--all of the authors introduce their regional sections with an essay about the culture and cuisine of, say, the North African highlands (my personal favorite). This is followed by a very satisfying variety of recipes from each area covered. The recipes are good! Dishes from Ethiopia, the Philipines, Japan, South Africa, and even England have become staples in my kitchen. I love this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant
Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant by Moosewood Collective (Paperback - Oct. 15 1990)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.80