5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best!
Published on Oct. 11 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars No originality and dumb characters
Published on March 18 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars No originality and dumb characters, March 18 2004
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
Maybe I've been reading too much Garwood, but this was the first book that really got on my nerves. The characters were like every other Garwood character - the naive female with a "sprinkle of freckles on her nose" and a giant brute of a man who is "well-muscled and stands a head above every one else." The plot was the same - two people from different backgrounds fighting each other and eventually falling in love, yeah, yeah, yeah. Sara seemed a bit dumb and overly whiny for the typical Garwood heroine - what kind of idiot would go about untying ropes on a ship (and how would she have the strength to do that anyway?)? She drove me nuts!
I really do love Garwood books, though. I would highly recommend Honor's Splendour and The Prize because of their sweeter plots and characters. I particularly liked Royce in The Prize because he wasn't typically handsome and didn't think himself much of a catch, but Nicholaa saw past all that and loved and chose him.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best!, Oct. 11 2002
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
Another thoroughly enjoyable book from JG. Nathan became a standout to me when he appeared in GUARDIAN ANGEL. In THE GIFT, he's great, so realistic because he has a few endearing FLAWS. He's a clumsy romantic with so much appeal, and is very very handsome. He's so masculine you just know he's not afraid of anything. Sara was a true delight, despite the fact that nearly all of JG's heroines are identical in character, with the exception of Jade from GUARDIAN ANGEL. Most of JG's heroines start out being a little bit scatter-brained, with every hero believing her DAFT. Eventually the intellect of the heroine shines through. And I will say that JG's heroines are never, ever, stupid. In fact, after finishing this book, I realize what made the adorable Sara different from the others. She wasn't quite as DAFT as she appeared to be; everything she said and did, she did for a specific reason.

Now, the FRECKLES thing has got to stop.

As for humor, this book is one of JG's best. That's part of the reason Nathan and Sara were so interesting. You could practically feel Nathan's frustration when dealing with Sara, but she was so comical he didn't stand a chance.
One of the funniest scenes out of all JG's books, takes place here in THE GIFT. It's when Sara meets Sterns, the butler. It doesn't get much funnier than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO FRICKIN' FUNNY!, March 7 2002
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
I have never laughed so hard or so much in my entire life! I peed my pants three times reading this book, and laughed so hard I cried quite a few times! Sara is THE most oblivious character I have ever read! Oblivious, naive, but yet eager to please her husband and to have him love her. And the irony in Nathan being a notorious pirate and captain, yet he was seasick, and quite often! What a HOOT! I really loved all the characters, especially Pagan's crew! They thought she was a curse! Every time she touched something, everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and man, was it EVER funny! She was always frustrating and complicating Nathan and his crew, innocently, though, mind you. The love story was really light and not very intriguing, but this was a great read! Very light, very easy, very comical! Just a warning, though: Sara's family is very abusive and mean, so this book isn't for someone who would be disgusted by the comedy in this lightening the seriousness of abuse. (I don't think the author intended to make light of it, but that is how it was veiwed through the herione.)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Garwood's best, July 16 2001
V. Craft (GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
For years the St. James and the Winchesters have hated it each other. King George, not all there in his old age, has decided to end the feud by declaring that the young (14 years old) Marquees of St. James, Nathan, marry the daughter of the Earl of St. James, Sara. To sweeten the deal the King added a contract that would give Nathan and Sara a gift: a large piece of land and a great deal of gold once the marriage was consummated. If one of the couple backed out however, the other got the gift. There would be a great deal of time before the marriage is carried out however, as Sara is only 4 years old. And both sides want the gift.
Many years later Nathan has decided to finally retrieve his bride. He faces problems however from her family who don't want them to become true man and wife. Nathan, who was once the pirate Pagan, is finally forced to plan to kidnap Sara and sail away on his ship, and keep her there some months until the two families can come to terms with the marriage, and the couple can complete the marriage contract. Sara has always had romantic notions about her husband and this rough pirate is not what she imagines. Despite that she easily falls in love with him, as she has planed to do her whole life. Nathan, though he likes Sara, does not fall in love so quickly. But Sara will settle for not less than love.
This story is, in my opinion, one of Garwood's best. I loved the characters, especially Sara. On the ship she causes many funny mishaps, while she tries to make a good impression on her new husband an his crew. She almost poisons the crew and sets the ship on fire. Other characters brought back from previous books are Jade, Cain, Jimbo, and Matthew. The Plot was fast paced, and if there were any slow parts near the end, you won't mind too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best mistake I've ever made (involving a book at least), April 5 2001
Dawn Smith (Green Bay, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this book by accident, while checking out the used books at St. Vinny's. I decided to get it, because any book with a pirate in couldn't be all bad. What a find. I laughed so hard my mom thought something was wrong with me.
Although Nathan and Sara seem to have alot to overcome, their number one obstacle is themselves. Sara is sometimes portrayed as ridiculously innocent, and Nathan as trying ridiculously hard to maintain his image, but as a whole they are two characters you will enjoy laughing at.
Julie Garwood was quite a find for me, and I have proceded to read all her books, but this continues to be my favorite. I enjoy books with where the characters encouter primarily internal conflict, and although the families of the bride and groom offer some external problems, Nathan's battle against the inevitable (his falling in love with his wife,) and Sara's attempts to become a stronger women are the true conflicts the husband and wife are forced overcome before they can be truly happy together.

4.0 out of 5 stars the gift, Dec 26 2000
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading the reviews for this book, I had to go and find it so I could read it for myself. But I have to admit, I was just a little bit disapointed. It was a very light and quick read, even if it was a bit unrealistic. I honestly doubt people spoke like Nathan and Sara did, during that time period. The story could have taken place last week in San Francisco! Although it was a historical, it didn't "transport" me to the time and place of the characters. However, like I said, this was a very entertaining story. Sara's faith in her husband was admirable, though she was a bit weak. Even she noticed that Nathan only had to crook a finger and she'd come running!! Sara was a bit of a ditz, if you ask me but she was a riot! I couldn't stop laughing over her mishaps, and they made me want her to succeed that much more. Nathan was a very good hero, his protectiveness over Sara was what won me over. Don't we all want a man like Nathan who'll try to keep us safe from all the harm in the world. I was a bit disappointed with how it played out in the end though. Nathan was hilarious when he was asking Caine for advice on how to woo his wife back! :) But, like Caine, I was also looking forward to seeing Nathan "getting down on his knees" before Sara would forgive him. She was much too forgiving, but I'm glad to see her gaining some strength at the end. Nathan and Sara together were so cute. I loved their shouting matches! They really were meant to be together...they're probably the only ones who'd be able to stand each other :)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of JG's best..., Sept. 29 2000
Abbys (Moreno Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is the third story sequel: I suggest to start with the Lion's Lady, then The Guardian Angel, The Gift and lastly, read Castles. The characters in all 4 books are friends/related to each other. It is more fitting if you know each character before reading the next book. If you read it in this order, I think it will bring more excitement as some questions are answered on the later book. Some secrets are also revealed beforehence.
The heroine, Sara, is not a whiner in my opinion. When she was but a little girl, she was described as awkward and clumsy, who fortunately, (or unfortunately, depending on the reader) has only outgrown that flaw just a little bit. However, in my opinion, her clumsiness are humorous and somewhat sweet. That made me enjoy this book even more. It is the spice of this book. Since, she was married to Nathan as a child, growing up, she have already condition herself as a WIFE. Even when she hasn't seen him for over 10 years, and even after her family insist on her that Nathan is an enemy, somehow, deep inside of her heart, She longed for love and acceptance from her long lost husband, especially since she didn't get such at home. She kept waiting for him to finally come and collect her. The collection part was also hilarious. That's when the fun began...
The hero, Nathan, is so manly. Too manly that he doesn't even know a single terms of endearment to call his wife. He's never been in a serious relationship, therefore, know nothing above loving a woman. The learning begins with both of them. He decided he can control the situation, being married to Sara shouldn't be all that hard, afterall, he's always been a controlled, discipline man. Or so he thought...
The patience of learning about one other... The adjustment of each other's character, routine and lives... the acceptance and finally, the love...all made this book compelling. Sara's determination to be accepted not only by her husband but by his staff on board was the funniest moments of all. She means well, plans well.... but...... Aw~! It does embarrass me reading about her parasols and her accidents. I had to stop my reading, close my eyes and cover my face every incident. After I gather myself together & get over my embarassment, i continue reading, praying she doesn't get into another "INCIDENT" again. If I get to react this way about a book, I believe it is worth the buy and worth my time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I totally disagree!, April 20 2000
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
I think that some of the people who wrote reviews are whining. Not the heroine of Julie Garwood's book. You have to take into consideration that Sara, the heroine, was probably a good representation of some women at that time. And a large facet of her charm and appeal is the way she grows from timid, and self conscious to mature and self-assured. In this book, the characters have been married since they were 4 and 14. They are from rival families and were ordered to marry to settle a dispute. 14 years later, Nathan comes to get Sara and start their married life. The story that follows amusingly, and touchingly, chronicles Nathan and Sara falling in love on the high seas, and fighting to keep that love on land. I thought The Gift was a great book, certainly one of the best in the series. (Speaking of the series, there are four books, not three. The Lion's Lady is the first. Then Guardian Angel, The Gift, and Castles.) The two main characters are loveable, and have good chemistry, not mention some GREAT and really witty conversations. And of course, the hot love scenes
Julie Garwood has created a thoroughly interesting plot and setting, a great cast of minor characters, and a great book! I reccomend it highly, but I also reccomend you read the books in order.

1.0 out of 5 stars Whine, Whine....SHE DRIVES ME CRAZY!, March 2 2000
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read a lot of Julie Garwood books and enjoyed them tremendously! I enjoyed Guardian Angel (the Story of Nathan's sister). She had lots of sponk! The Castle (The story of Nathan's partner), she had a good head on her shoulder, but Sara drove me crazy. She was a cry-baby and came across sounding dizzy and dumb all the time. The times that she tried to gain her 'staff's respect reflected how silly she was. It was understandable to some degree that she had those accidents on the ship, but her reactions afterward were pitiful. Not only did Nathan wanted to strangle her... I WANTED TO DO THAT MYSELF. PLEASE... I tried to read with a sympathetic point-of-view but found it difficult to get through. I kept wondering what was wrong with her . Some reviewers thought her actions and reactions were funny. She just seemed plain stupid to me. Nathan was a typical hero in that rough on the outside, tender on the inside. Although I do love Ms. Garwood's book, sometimes I wish the hero wasn't SO BIG and the heroine so small. It gets a little redundant after the 5th book. I still love the Prize, Ransom, and the Secret. I think Ransom is the best out of all of them. The bottom line is I got through the book but wanted to strangle Sara...

5.0 out of 5 stars The best in the series, Dec 20 1999
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
I adore "The Gift". It is so much better than its prequel, "Guardian Angel", and sequel, "Castles". For one, it has a great title that actually corresponds to what is going on in the book. It also has fantastic characters. Sara may not be as strong as Jade but during the time when this book is supposed to take place, early 1800s, women were a lot more sheltered. Sara learns to loosen up and stand up for herself, proving she had strength all along but never knew it until she had to prove it. Meanwhile, her little "accidents" are adorable and hysterical and her plight to convince Nathan that he loves her is touching. Nathan is a perfect romantic hero, gruff on the outside and gentle on the inside. He is too hard-headed and cruel in the beginning but, like Sara, he matures and by the end of the book is more tame. Nathan and Sara are a great match and their sparring is terribly witty. I especially adore the last third of the book, when Sara is convinced that Nathan does not love her and he is determined to prove to her that he does and wants to make the most noble sacrifice. Nothing can be more romantic than the scene at the ball, when Nathan forgets, in his nervousness, that they are already married and almost goes down on his knees to propose to Sara.
Although Sara is prone to weeping, this does not make me think of her as weak. She shows her emotions openly and without restraint, and it is only natural that she tears up whenever she is upset. Her soft heart is what makes her so lovable, and tears are a part of the package.
Most importantly, I loved "The Gift" more than the other books because the story was very intriguing. In no other book, was the setting and the plot so perfect for furthering the story. This is a wonderful book, a gem to behold.

The Gift
The Gift by Julie Garwood (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1 1991)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89