5.0 out of 5 stars A marvelous 3rd book in a splendid must-read series!
The gift is certainly a gift to Ms. Garwood readers! It has it all! Suspense, humor, anticipation and a sizzling romance that crackles with everything one wants in a great read! Only a gal like Sara could subdue a man like Nathan!
Be sure to read the entire series: 1. The Lion's Lady 2. The Guardian 3. The Gift 4. Castles.
Published on May 15 2004 by Nancy Compton

1.0 out of 5 stars this was no gift
I'm really unsure how this book got so many positive reviews. Were the readers sleeping when they read it? Or unaccustomed to historical romance?

Published 6 months ago by valibby

1.0 out of 5 stars this was no gift, Oct. 13 2013
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)

When I read books, I expect that the author has done the work necessary to make sure her story rings true. The premise of The Gift is absurd for the time period. Regency England would not have seen a 4-year-old forced into a marriage (not legal, no matter how much the king approved), nor a strange blood feud between families who are supposedly aristocratic but speak like commoners. There was no attempt at accuracy when it came to aristocratic hierarchy or proper terms of address. The business with Aunt Nora being stalked and imprisoned by her... brother-in-law and his brother? Why would they have any rights at all over her inheritance or any say in her sanity? They were completely unrelated to her. It doesn't work that way.

I can get over the stereotypical arrogant hero and air-headed heroine. Whatever. That's the story and character the author wanted to produce, so sure. But absolutely nothing rang true. They sounded like modern day Americans, not Regency English aristocrats. The ship's crew were supposed to be pirates? I wasn't buying that either. Sara was supposedly physically and emotionally abused by multiple family members? That sure didn't come across.

Do not read this book expecting a Regency romance. Do not read this book expecting to be transported back in time. Do not read this book if you're expecting humor, because it wasn't that, either.

1.0 out of 5 stars Never hated a character before!!!, June 2 2008
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a romance novel junkie!! I will grab anything and read the whole book even if I am not crazy about it. This is the first time I have ever put down a book in the middle and not finished it. Sara is the worst character I have ever read. Her constant crying and irrational behaviour get in the way of what could be a fairly good story. Why would I want to read about a woman that I would detest in real life? I love Julie Garwood books but I think she made a mistake with this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars No originality and dumb characters, March 18 2004
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
Maybe I've been reading too much Garwood, but this was the first book that really got on my nerves. The characters were like every other Garwood character - the naive female with a "sprinkle of freckles on her nose" and a giant brute of a man who is "well-muscled and stands a head above every one else." The plot was the same - two people from different backgrounds fighting each other and eventually falling in love, yeah, yeah, yeah. Sara seemed a bit dumb and overly whiny for the typical Garwood heroine - what kind of idiot would go about untying ropes on a ship (and how would she have the strength to do that anyway?)? She drove me nuts!
I really do love Garwood books, though. I would highly recommend Honor's Splendour and The Prize because of their sweeter plots and characters. I particularly liked Royce in The Prize because he wasn't typically handsome and didn't think himself much of a catch, but Nicholaa saw past all that and loved and chose him.

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvelous 3rd book in a splendid must-read series!, May 15 2004
Nancy Compton (Boise, Idaho) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Did Julie Garwood write this book????, May 3 2004
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
First of all, I have read almost all of Julie Garwood's books and loved them all. I was really looking forward to Nathan's story. How he could fall in love with Sara is a mystery to me. She was a total blockhead.I skipped alot of pages because Sara's behavior was so absolutely ridiculous. The book was awful.The only reason to read "The Gift" is because it is part of a series that starts with "The Lion's Lady". For me, "The Gift" was a BIG disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars good story but with 2 major flaws, March 7 2004
J "jjc92slp" (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
I love all the Julie Garwood's historic romances and I've read them all. But, I found some flaws in this book compared with previous series. First, this story was about 1 year after Cain and Jade's story (Guardian Angel). But, this book hints that Nathan's been Pagan for more than 1 year. If you read Guardian Angel, you will know how long Nathan's been Pagan. Second, Nathan's sister Jade was not married to the Earl of Cainwood. If you see other series (Guardian Angel and Castle), it says Cain is a Marquess not an Earl. But overall it was a good read and fun too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, Feb. 24 2004
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
I have to say that this book was the best romance I've ever read. It had something for everyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Put me to sleep... but now without trying my patience first!, Jan. 19 2004
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
I tried hard, really hard to like this book. After all I paid 8 dollars for it before boarding my plane. I like historical romances but this is among the cornier, least believable and carcicatured characters ever. If I had to read the male character say "oh god", "my god", "dear god" etc or talk about the lust in his loins one more time I would have thrown the book out the plane. And let's not even talk about manner in which the lead characters talk, completely out of place with the early 19th century. I suggest historical romance readers try Judith McNaught or Marion Chesney for their spunky, endearing characters with fun and lively plots.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite favorite!, Jan. 2 2004
Kristal Gorman (Buffalo, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
I love anything that Julie Garwood writes, so naturally, I am going to say how wonderful this book was! I love Nathan and Sara! The way that she was sending for her husband and than he comes for her without knowing is too funny! This book has all the elements. The tall, dark, and handsome stranger, the willful bride, the humor! It had everything I look for in a romance and I would recommend to anyone who is considering this book to grab it up! You will love it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderfully sweet book!, Dec 8 2003
This review is from: The Gift (Mass Market Paperback)
I LOVED this book. I thought it was so sweet and the relationship between Sara and Nathan so loving. I loved the way he protected her and she wanted him too. I laughed my rear end off during several of the scenes. I will be reading this book again and still go back and read certain sections I thought were adorable. As always, Julie Garwood did not fail us. She knows just how to present a story realistically and with such emotion and tenderness. I would also recommend you read Julie's "Honor's Splendor" and "The Wedding." I give this book an A+ and add it to the the former books as my three all-time favorite Romance novels. You go girl!!!

ARRAY(0xade26a74)

The Gift
The Gift by Julie Garwood (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1 1991)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89