march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Registry

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on March 15, 2003
Anyone who reads this classic self help book will find it beneficial. It wouldn't have lasted as long as it has if it weren't helpful.
However, the first time I attempted to systematically put this book into practice, I was working with a domineering, loud, opinionated and outspoken person who subsequently stamped all over me and my "Carnegie" principles. True, many people (maybe a majority) will respond positively when you practice Dale Carnegie's plan, but there is a sizeable minority who will walk all over you regardless.
And a person who has self-image problems? I hate to say it, but Dale Carnegie's book can set them up to be mowed over.
I have balanced Dale Carnegie with Manuel J. Smith's book WHEN I SAY NO I FEEL GUILTY. I found it more effective when I built a good, healthy respect for myself first. Then guess what! I found myself winning more friends and influencing more people!
on December 15, 2013
I bought this because of people I know who have read it and gone onwards to successful business positions and because of the many reviews indicating that this book was the cause of improvements in careers. I don't know whether that will be the case for me.
The book is good. The language and examples are somewhat dated, which is not unexpected, but not so dated to sound irrelevant. I do believe that the lessons provided throughout the book are useful in daily interactions with other people, but many of them are fairly intuitive - don't criticize, admit your errors, etc.

Some of the advice would be useful to pretty much anyone who deals with other people in any capacity, if not in work, in home life, or in other social situations, or with customer service people we encounter. On the other hand, some of the advice lends itself better to people who work in a capacity as a leader over subordinate employees.

The kindle edition of this is easy to read but there are a number of typos and weird paragraph breaks - I'm not sure if these are also found in the printed text or not. Either way, they don't make it unreadable.

I probably will try consciously to put some of the practices that Carnegie espouses into action and see how it goes - I don't doubt that if practiced consciously and with dedication, my relationships likely will improve. Overall I'm giving this three stars because while it does provide good advice and it's always worth being reminded of ways to improve our interactions with others, most of it we would probably already know. That said, the book was $0.99 on kindle, so why not give it a chance?
on February 19, 1999
This book is about making people like you. However, most of the techniques tought are much too simple and ineffective.
When I was reading the book, I was surprised to recognize many little tricks people were using in order to have their way with me. These tricks were so obvious that I always wanted to ask the people: "Just how stupid you think I am? Do you really think I'm not seeing what you're really up to?" Most of the techniques Mr. Carnegie suggested were very easy to recognize and there was no chance anybody could make me like him by using'em.
At that time, I was everything but advanced in psychology. What I'm saying is that when you use Mr. Carnegie's tricks, there's a great chance that people you're dealing with will recognize them and react negatively. The book is easy to read and can certainly give you some good basics on human psychology, but if you want to be really successful in your communication, you'll need much more than Mr. Carnegie's ancient wisdom. (Besides - I can't let it be unmentioned - on a few occasions, the good old Dale Carnegie is simply wrong.)
There is one more thing you should know. When Mr. Carnegie talks about "friends", he means "customers". You might make customers with his techniques, but you probably won't make any friends. In fact, you should be careful with using some of Mr. Carnegies tricks on your friends if you don't want to lose them.
I'm not saying the book is bad. I'm not saying it's good either. It's mediocre, no more, no less - that's what the 3 stars're for.
on August 16, 2002
This book starts well but then it seems to become dull. It does have some good basic principles of relating well to others, but some of the book seems to give advice that sounds manipulative rather than honest. It is a decent read nonetheless. If you like this one, I also recommend "The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey. So I would think that most people would like Mr. Carnegie's book (being that it's very well known). Hopefully it will indeed help you in winning friends and influencing people!
on May 16, 2002
I used to like this book. I did... really! For some reason I kept it all these years. In reality, this book suffers from its conversational style. The advice offered comes down to manipulative maneuvers like "Smile" and "Appreciate other people"
For those looking for a success-type book, I recommend these titles:
_7 Habits of Highly Effective People_
_Greatest Networker in the World_
_Successful Intelligence_
on November 24, 2014
I purchased this when I was trying out a home business, but I did not find it much good.

I have always been honoust, kind, look people in the eyes when talking and a good listener and that is basically what it comes down too.

If you try to manipulate a friendship or customers unless your a good actor, people see right through it and will not trust you, just the opposite of what you want
on February 4, 2004
This book tells you the truth about life. "People are generally interested only in themselves, so if you act interested in them they will like you better". There's no denying that and if you apply these principles you will probably be more succesful in a business sense. The fact is that we can't force ourselves to be interested in someone else, so this book encourages you to be deceptive with a fake smile and flattering words. I would advise going to a local college and taking a few acting classes before attempting to apply these principles.
on January 10, 1999
I think that every person on this planet shold read this book becouse it may show us how to comunicate to each othe rand to have good will.Also, i have opinion about the author.He knows how to lead the people to the path of succes.And he knows that the good will can make good progress.
on April 2, 2004
I wouldn't recommend this book if someone is trying to do the right thing and wants to truly make a difference in other people's lives. If you are looking to make it to the top and don't really care who you manipulate to get there, this is the book to read. Don't expect to make friends by using this book. To make friends, you don't always have to agree with someone, or be perky all the time, just be you.
Carnegie's heart may be in the right place as far as some of the principles go. He has a point, if we are good to other people, they will be good to us in return. At least that is how it should work. The thing he never addresses, is that this isn't always true. Sometimes no matter how hard we try, things don't get better, and some really great people never make it to the top. I think he should at least make it known that this isn't fool-proof, and that sometimes people don't appreciate others no matter what is said or done.
The most important thing about this book is that Carnegie makes us think. It does make a person stop and think about how they are acting towards others.
I came up with my own principle after reading this book. It has really nothing to do with the book itself, but rather what I think he left out... To be a true influence on others, be real, be kind, and be respectful. If you do those things you will touch lives every day. To make friends and be a true influence, do just one thing, be genuine.
on April 14, 2014
Would be better but many of the references are out of date due to the age of the book and some of the things can be hard to follow. Overall good advice within and I'm sure you couldn't go wrong to follow it.