5.0 out of 5 stars Garwood's USUAL style... As always, SHE DELIVERS!
Published on Oct. 2 2001 by Abbys

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking the Garwood Magic.
Published on May 28 2003 by Rasee Govindani

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking the Garwood Magic., May 28 2003
Rasee Govindani (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read and loved most of Ms. Garwood's books and this is the first that I've read that disappointed me. This is not one of her best and if it is the first Garwood romance you are reading, don't give up on her. Julie Garwood writes romance like no one can, but "Gentle Warrior" is missing all those wonderful elements we've come to love--a fiercely independent, intelligent and strong heroine, a brave, strong and loving hero, love scenes that are beautifully written and can get you all hot and bothered, and a fast-paced story that highlights the core love story wonderfully.
Elizabeth is an irritating heroine and even by the end of the book you don't feel like you know her enough. Geoffrey is too hard, too strict, too traditional, and too awkward a hero. The story is weak and the two characters lack chemistry. The love scenes make me cringe. ("Let me drink your nectar.") It's a mediocre read and does nothing to set the book apart from others in the genre. Considering Ms. Garwood's talent for romance, this book falls short. Not a must-read, even for Garwood fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, but not her best, April 21 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
This story starts off with so much promise, but then just sort of falls flat after that. I don't understand. The hero and heroine are great, they have great chemistry, the plot is interesting...but somehow, she blew it. I really did like the characters at the beginning. I loved their teasing and bantering, and I loved Geoffrey's protectiveness over Elizabeth. But afterwards, she just seemed to submit to him and lost all of her independence. She lets him yell at her til her ears are ringing, and just forgets the fact that he locked her in their room for days. And don't get me started on HIM. You know how most stubborn, stupid men learn to be more considerate and caring in romance novels? Well, I don't think he got the memo. Furthermore, the "mystery" was competely predictable. I mean, I knew who the culprit was before I was halfway through the book. And the drama at the end just kind of dissolved into nothing, like JG was in a hurry to end the book. If you want a piece of light reading, then by all means, go for it. But it doesn't even compare to "Ransom," which I absolutely adore and is my all-time favorite of JG bookds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garwood's USUAL style... As always, SHE DELIVERS!, Oct. 2 2001
Abbys (Moreno Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read all of Julie Garwood's historical romance novels and I think she's awesome. She is one of my top 3 favs authors and reading Gentle Warrior reminded me of why. Her characters are always three-dimensional, well portrayed and well represented. Her plots are often complex, exciting and well executed. Her Dialogues are witty and humorous. The hero/heroine's relationship development are always full of heart warming trial and errors and yet full of love. Her twisters are hearty and even wretching at times. But the best part of all is her conclusions. They are always climatic! Her endings are always a grand relief and very satisfying. In short, Julie Garwood always delivers!
Elizabeth and Geoffrey's story here in Gentle Warrior is no exception to the above attributes. In addition to that, I agree that this book is definitely tummer fluttery (Iluvstrawberries) and have magical chemistry (Jody Austin). It is indeed sad to hear some reviewers didn't find this book as I saw it. Oh well, people are entitled to that. However, all I ask for those who haven't read it yet is to give this book a chance. Don't be discourage by the negative reviews. Who knows, you might agree with most reviewers who have enjoy this one as thoroughly I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Medieval Story, May 25 2001
J. Austin "jodylync" (Dublin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
Elizabeth is in hiding. Her family has been slaughtered and her home overtaken. Only she and her small brother have survived. She knows in her heart who planned the murders and seeks an audience with her overlord to plead her case. Baron Geoffrey has been wounded in a battle to free Montwright Castle. Unbeknownst to him, he is being tended to by a survivor of the slaughter, a woman he has seen before riding in the forest, a woman who has captured his heart. Geoffrey promises to ferret out the culprit if Elizabeth will trust him. He seals the bargain by marrying her. Although Elizabeth tries very hard to trust her husband, the souls of her family cry out for release. She must uncover the one responsible or die trying. But Elizabeth is falling in love with her husband. Now she is torn between fulfilling the vow of vengence made to her family or the love and trust of a warrior.
Elizabeth and Geoffrey are a wonderful couple. Their chemistry is magical and seeing the transformation from duty to love is great! One of my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Story!, June 9 2000
Pamela Leung "pamahla" (Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed this story between Elizabeth and Geoffrey tremendously. *sigh* it was very romantic. In my opinion, unlike Ms. Garwood's other books (Castles, The Wedding) the book didn't lack at the end of the story. The hero and heroine's love story got better after each turn of the page. Geoffrey, a handsome warrior, is simply adorable with all his little disipline rules that he uses on his knights - and Elizabeth. Elizabeth, who grew up in a very loving family, had her own wild way in life.
The two of them first met, when Elizabeth found out that her little brother was saved from a baron named Geoffrey, whom she's never met before. Baron Geoffrey was her deceased father's overlord, and was to take over the task of finding the murderers of her family; due to the fact that Elizabeth's parents and sisters were all attacked and killed in their own home, but Elizabeth was able to escape with her brother. When Elizabeth arrived to the holding of her brother, which also happened to be her home, she mistaken Baron Geoffery for an ordinary injured knight. Expecting a way older man, she was extremely shocked to find out that Baron Geoffrey was indeed very young and handsome. She nurses Geoffrey back to health, but before he awakens, Elizabeth runs off back to her hiding, in fear that her uncle, whom she suspects as the murderer of her family, sees her alive and well. When Geoffrey regains his health, he goes and finds Elizabeth and brings her back with him. Feeling very protective, Geoffrey decides to quickly marry Elizabeth and thus begins the revenge for Elizabeth's family, and a merry chase between the lovers.
I got to admit, the dialogue in the story is funny, witty, so romantic that it makes your tummy flutter. You'll be laughing one minute and crying the next. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great wwarrior story by Ms. Garwood!, March 17 2000
Ce commentaire est de: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a great fan of Ms. Garwood's books and this book is no exception. I am a little bothered that one of the previous reviewer 'snoopy1025' impacted the rating twice. I believe everyone is entitled to her opinion, however, the review lacked any content to describe why she thought the book was a waste of time and boring.
Never mind that... This book again is in the tradition Julie Garwood style with strong, big hero and petite heroine. I enjoyed it every bit as much as Honor's Splendor, The Bride, The Prize, and Ransom. The most interesting thing about this story is that Elizabeth and Geoffrey actually yell opening at each all through out the book. It is refreshing to see a couple who are willing to fight publically and shout if they wanted to. The hero had all these rules since he did not understanding nor experience any loving relationship from his past, while Elizabeth had an untraditional upbring by her parents and specially her grandfather.
There were lots of teasing and humor in the book which is another of Ms. Garwood's talent. Of course let's not forget the great love scenes between the two hot-blooded characters. Well, enough said about the story which I think you will all enjoy. I have read almost all of Ms. Garwood's books and the only one so far that I would not highly recommend is 'the Gift' which I wanted to strangle Sarah. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, Feb. 10 2000
Ce commentaire est de: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all of Julie Garwood's books. This woman has the capability to take me away! Gentle Warrior definitely falls right into that catergory. It was a one-sitting read. Elizabeth and Geoffrey will captivate you from the first page to the last. The beautiful, courageous, compassionate Elizabeth was forced to endure something that no one should ever have to... and the handsome, arrogant, heart-stopping Geoffrey came to the rescue and avenged the tragedy bestowed upon Elizabeth and her family. An excellent read! You won't be disappointed.
I would also like to say that I am very disappointed with the fact that the previous two reviews were actually even considered! Not to mention the fact that those two horrid reviews were posted by the same person! A person is entitled to their opinion, but to be allowed two opinions that will affect the over all "star rating" of the book should not have been permitted. I have to wonder if that person even read the book. A complete injustice to a fabulous Garwood novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garwood Flopped Out On This One!, March 28 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
Julie Garwood has written some wonderful medeival stories like Honors Splendour, The Secret and The Prize but Gentle Warrior falls short of her work. One thing I have always liked about her stories is that the hero and heroine like more about each other than how they look. In this story, the hero marries a woman he doesn't even know because she is so beautiful and he wants to go to bed with her. After he gets what he wants, he treats her like dirt throughout the rest of the story except when they are in bed together. He even locks her in her room for a time. He doesn't change at all throughout the story. There is no sharing of a personal nature at all, and declarations of love come at the last two pages of the story after the hero spends the whole story treating his wife horribly. I am just glad that I have read other garwood novels before or I wouldn't have been reading anything else by her.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites, May 25 2000
Ce commentaire est de: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all Julie Garwood's books, and this is one of my favorites, one I seem to pick up with a smile to re-read every several months. I loved Elizabeth and Geoffrey, and their troubles and eccentricities seemed very believable to me. Elizabeth is courageous and her faults are understandable considering her youth and tragic past. Geoffrey's "rules" and stiffness come across as endearing because he is basically such a strong, honorable and loving hero. The secondary characters have depth and personality. Add to this mix an ending that is sweet and funny, and you have a great "light read" - a book that is engaging and emotionally comforting.

4.0 out of 5 stars A treasure for the independent woman inside..., Feb. 13 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
If you are the kind who likes to be hard-to-get and put up a fight when it comes to romance then Julie Garwood is superb storyteller for you. In this tale of suspense and realistic feelings between the two main characters, Elizabeth and Geoffrey, the author keeps you guessing on how these two stubborn newly weds will ever get along as husband and wife. But in the end, (which in Garwood's tales is always the most rewarding I've ever read) their differences are worked out and the mystery behind the massacre of Elizabeth's family is unraveled. This is a good read that won't let you down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Gentle Warrior
Gentle Warrior by Julie Garwood (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 1 1990)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49