5.0 out of 5 stars Another Garwood winner
Now I remember why I like Julie Garwood so much. The chemistry between the two main characters, the care in developing each character, and the plot were super. I appreciated the lack of detailed and recurring violence and the unique ending.
Published on April 19 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking the Garwood Magic.
Published on May 28 2003 by Rasee Govindani

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking the Garwood Magic., May 28 2003
Rasee Govindani (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read and loved most of Ms. Garwood's books and this is the first that I've read that disappointed me. This is not one of her best and if it is the first Garwood romance you are reading, don't give up on her. Julie Garwood writes romance like no one can, but "Gentle Warrior" is missing all those wonderful elements we've come to love--a fiercely independent, intelligent and strong heroine, a brave, strong and loving hero, love scenes that are beautifully written and can get you all hot and bothered, and a fast-paced story that highlights the core love story wonderfully.
Elizabeth is an irritating heroine and even by the end of the book you don't feel like you know her enough. Geoffrey is too hard, too strict, too traditional, and too awkward a hero. The story is weak and the two characters lack chemistry. The love scenes make me cringe. ("Let me drink your nectar.") It's a mediocre read and does nothing to set the book apart from others in the genre. Considering Ms. Garwood's talent for romance, this book falls short. Not a must-read, even for Garwood fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars This One Was OKAY, May 17 2003
This review is from: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
Geoffrey and Elizabeth were fine, the story was okay, but something was missing. It was nearly a copycat of some of JG's other novels, which is fine by me, but only if the book can stand on its own, which this one couldn't. I found it boring.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, but not her best, April 22 2003
This review is from: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
This story starts off with so much promise, but then just sort of falls flat after that. I don't understand. The hero and heroine are great, they have great chemistry, the plot is interesting...but somehow, she blew it. I really did like the characters at the beginning. I loved their teasing and bantering, and I loved Geoffrey's protectiveness over Elizabeth. But afterwards, she just seemed to submit to him and lost all of her independence. She lets him yell at her til her ears are ringing, and just forgets the fact that he locked her in their room for days. And don't get me started on HIM. You know how most stubborn, stupid men learn to be more considerate and caring in romance novels? Well, I don't think he got the memo. Furthermore, the "mystery" was competely predictable. I mean, I knew who the culprit was before I was halfway through the book. And the drama at the end just kind of dissolved into nothing, like JG was in a hurry to end the book. If you want a piece of light reading, then by all means, go for it. But it doesn't even compare to "Ransom," which I absolutely adore and is my all-time favorite of JG bookds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Garwood winner, April 19 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars A treasure for the independent woman inside..., Feb. 14 2002
This review is from: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
If you are the kind who likes to be hard-to-get and put up a fight when it comes to romance then Julie Garwood is superb storyteller for you. In this tale of suspense and realistic feelings between the two main characters, Elizabeth and Geoffrey, the author keeps you guessing on how these two stubborn newly weds will ever get along as husband and wife. But in the end, (which in Garwood's tales is always the most rewarding I've ever read) their differences are worked out and the mystery behind the massacre of Elizabeth's family is unraveled. This is a good read that won't let you down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garwood's USUAL style... As always, SHE DELIVERS!, Oct. 2 2001
Abbys (Moreno Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read all of Julie Garwood's historical romance novels and I think she's awesome. She is one of my top 3 favs authors and reading Gentle Warrior reminded me of why. Her characters are always three-dimensional, well portrayed and well represented. Her plots are often complex, exciting and well executed. Her Dialogues are witty and humorous. The hero/heroine's relationship development are always full of heart warming trial and errors and yet full of love. Her twisters are hearty and even wretching at times. But the best part of all is her conclusions. They are always climatic! Her endings are always a grand relief and very satisfying. In short, Julie Garwood always delivers!
Elizabeth and Geoffrey's story here in Gentle Warrior is no exception to the above attributes. In addition to that, I agree that this book is definitely tummer fluttery (Iluvstrawberries) and have magical chemistry (Jody Austin). It is indeed sad to hear some reviewers didn't find this book as I saw it. Oh well, people are entitled to that. However, all I ask for those who haven't read it yet is to give this book a chance. Don't be discourage by the negative reviews. Who knows, you might agree with most reviewers who have enjoy this one as thoroughly I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful!, Aug. 8 2001
This review is from: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read every Garwood book and this one was great! All of her books are great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Medieval Story, May 25 2001
J. Austin "jodylync" (Dublin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
Elizabeth is in hiding. Her family has been slaughtered and her home overtaken. Only she and her small brother have survived. She knows in her heart who planned the murders and seeks an audience with her overlord to plead her case. Baron Geoffrey has been wounded in a battle to free Montwright Castle. Unbeknownst to him, he is being tended to by a survivor of the slaughter, a woman he has seen before riding in the forest, a woman who has captured his heart. Geoffrey promises to ferret out the culprit if Elizabeth will trust him. He seals the bargain by marrying her. Although Elizabeth tries very hard to trust her husband, the souls of her family cry out for release. She must uncover the one responsible or die trying. But Elizabeth is falling in love with her husband. Now she is torn between fulfilling the vow of vengence made to her family or the love and trust of a warrior.
Elizabeth and Geoffrey are a wonderful couple. Their chemistry is magical and seeing the transformation from duty to love is great! One of my favorites.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garwood Flopped Out On This One!, March 28 2001
This review is from: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
Julie Garwood has written some wonderful medeival stories like Honors Splendour, The Secret and The Prize but Gentle Warrior falls short of her work. One thing I have always liked about her stories is that the hero and heroine like more about each other than how they look. In this story, the hero marries a woman he doesn't even know because she is so beautiful and he wants to go to bed with her. After he gets what he wants, he treats her like dirt throughout the rest of the story except when they are in bed together. He even locks her in her room for a time. He doesn't change at all throughout the story. There is no sharing of a personal nature at all, and declarations of love come at the last two pages of the story after the hero spends the whole story treating his wife horribly. I am just glad that I have read other garwood novels before or I wouldn't have been reading anything else by her.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing !, Dec 19 2000
This review is from: Gentle Warrior (Mass Market Paperback)
I am an enormous Julie Garwood fan, and have treasured the time I have spent reading all of her other books. Sadly, this book fell far below my expectations. The writing style didn't even seem like the same author I'd come to know ! I found the story to be disjointed and unengaging and the characters very flat. I would reccomend other Julie Garwood fans to re-read the Highland stories or the Claiborne ones, rather than waste the time on this book. It would be time much better spent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaa1dabdc)

Gentle Warrior
Gentle Warrior by Julie Garwood (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 1 1990)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.49