5.0 out of 5 stars Jude Deveraux is always a good writer.
This novel is second in the Velvet series, and since I only read the first one so far, I liked this one better.
This was a really great book! Very romantic, and the hero, Stephen, is probably the most likable hero of a JD book that I've read so far.
Published on Jan. 3 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Bronwyn, Bronwyn....
Published on Sept. 19 2000 by Abbys

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Jude Deveraux is always a good writer., Jan. 3 2004
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read other reviewers say that they didn't like Brondwyn, and that she's too strong and too shrewish, however, I disagree. As a general rule, I don't like the really strong heroine, but in this book I understand where Brondwyn is coming from. She is a clan leader, and as such has to be strong, as she is responsible for the safety of her clan. She leads them during battles, helps defend them against the enemy, and tries to settle disputes. In short, she is a real leader, and you can't expect her to suddenly change into a warm and loving wife. She does do that eventually, but meanwhile, you uis therefore responsible for her clan. She has to be a strong feminine character, you can't be a leader otherwise.
And you can't blame her for hating Stephen at first! She was taught from birth to hate the English, plus she has personally witnessed destruction that they have wraught on the Scots - on her people. And for the icing on the cake, Stephen did stand her up at their own wedding - for a reason which even I feel is quite weak (his sister-in-law had a bad fall and a miscarriage?) Try that one at a real wedding! So she has every right to hate Stephen, however, I think she could have been a little little softer, to make her a more sympathetic female heroine.
The hero of the story, Stephen, seems almost too good to be true. He falls so completely in love with Brandwyn, that he is willing to do anything for her, despite the fact the she hardly appreciates it. He is also very articulate - I found his explanations very well thought out, and it's no wonder that Brondwyn is eventually won over to fall in love with him. I just find it hard to see WHY he was so crazy over her, but that's what romance novels are all about, right?
If you're looking for an interesting historical romance, with a strong heroine and an almost ideal hero, this is the story for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing lacking in second installment of velvet series..., Nov. 2 2003
allie-kat (N.B., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
I absolutely love reading series in which the story seems to go on throughout the books, never ending and just giving more and more. I have fallen in love with the Montgomery brothers. Each is so different, yet alike in some way.
I have to admit that I didn't find Bronwyn very likeable at first. Stephen seemed to be so kind to her always and she flung his kind words back in face at every turn. Not that I couldn't see why... I mean, she had been raised to hate Englishmen from birth and her own father had been murdered by Englishmen. So the way she treated him was very realistic. I probably wouldn't have found it believeable if she had fallen into his arms within days of their marriage, knowing the hatred she harbored within her for Englishmen.
I found Stephen to be the ultimate man... he understood her feelings and strived to make her accept him and fall in love with him. He did everything he could to prove his love... not many men would go to the lengths he did... and in the end he became a true Scot in every possible way.
Bronwyn did win my heart at the end. She softened and realized her love for Stephen... as I knew she would and it was truly a beautiful thing to see. Love does conquer all... I only wish that this would happen in real life more often.
Don't miss this one either... its a keeper!

1.0 out of 5 stars Would have been..., Aug. 8 2001
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
Yes, this book would have been captivating if not for the irritating heroine, Bronwyn. The plot was strong and intriguing. The family circumstances were heart warming. The hero was to die for, until he lost his heart and his head in the process. I was turned off by his weakness towards the end. Brownyn really ruined this book for me. I didn't even want to finish this bec. i keep getting this annoyed feelings everytime i read her name and her actions. But i forced myself to read through, only because i want to know what happend to Judith and Gavin of Velvet Promise, I also want to read about the rest of the Montgomery brothers. I scanned-read the pages of this one until the end. I pretend not to see "her" name. Bronwyn isn't worth to be a Montgomery wife. She doesn't even deserve the villain. She is better off alone and shrivelled. YUCK. I really hate her. Her character is definitely like a large LUMP that is hard to swallow and is better off spitted out since it's of no importance anyway. Like one reviewer who also wasn't drawn to the heroine, SKIP THIS ONE. I agree, you won't miss a thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Real, March 11 2001
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
The reason i adore this book is that the characters are so real. It begins when a captured Bronwyn MacArran, laird of her clan, is awaiting Stephen Montgomery, the man who she is supposed to marry. Unfortunetely, Stephen is late because of a family problem, and he also expected that the woman awaiting him would be an ugly, beefy, horrible woman. However, when he sees the beautiful Bronwyn, he decides to forever make her his.
However, he has to take into consideration that he is marrying the laird of a clan, and the Mac Arran's are not going to easily trust an Englishman, so Stephen begins the process of becomming a Scot, while Bronwyn is scheming against a rival clan. With all their differences, will these two people be able to find love in their marriage?
This book demonstrates how things really are in life. Each married couple has to make certain adjustments in order to live peaceably with their spouse, whether it is squeezing the toothpaste from the end instead of the center, or hanging up the towls instead of dumping them on the floor. Stephen had to learn to fit into Bronwyn's clan and to master his jealosy. Bronwyn had to learn to respect Stephen's opinion and to think before she acted.
These two characters wound around an intriguing plot of revenge, rivalry, and murder makes Highland Velvet a classic book, meant for all people who enjoy a good romance with a happy ending.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bronwyn, Bronwyn...., Sept. 19 2000
Abbys (Moreno Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all of the Velvet series and the first book is my favorite, Velvet Promise. This, Highland Velvet, is the worst of all four in my opinion. It's not that I didn't like Jude Deveraux's way of writing... no, no. She is a great writer, an exemptional writer. She is one of my favorite historical romance write. It is Bronwyn who annoys me so. I am sure this is how JD really wanted this character to be. Some might find it quite intriguing but i just didn't see it that way. Bronwyn is simply just too much for me. She is selfish, VERY demanding and rough. Unfeminine for my taste. It is ok to be strong and courageous yet I believe she should have some degree left for her husbands pride, otherwise, he looks like a sissy. She humiliate him in front of his men and her clan as well. Yet, he continued to pursue her and continue to prove himself to her and her clan. Poor stephen! He did everything he could to show his love, He did everything to gain her trust and love in return. He transformed from an Englishman warrior to a scottish warrior just for her. He wore her colors yet she is not content. Even Stephen's brothers and Judith showed her respect and compassion yet she refuse to yield. She just hates Englishman! She have too much hate in her heart. Not appealing to me. The constant bickering and complaining isn't funny anymore. Stephen even changed his last name! I didn't like the idea of Stephen changing his whole personality and his opinion on almost everything just to pacify her. I believe she should have accepted him and love him just the way he does for her. Ok, perhaps some changes but not too the full extent. It was sad to see the Stephen, who was strong, smart and honorable man in Velvet Promise turned into a milktoast here in Highland Velvet. What happend to that guy? love! Tsk! Too much for me to take. sorry. I only have this book in my collection because it is part of the Velvet Series which is of course, one of my best series books.

5.0 out of 5 stars ORDER of the books in the Velvet Series, July 13 2000
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
Since there seems to be a lot of confusion as to the order of this series, I will try ot be helpful. The series is ordered in terms of the 4 Montgomery brothers' birth order:
#1 Velvet Promise - Eldest Gavin Montgomery marries Judith but his ex-lover tries to steal him back. A bit grim for my taste.
#2 Highland Velvet - Stephan Montgomery is given Scottish Bronwyn McArran for a wife. She hates him cos he's English ... but not for long! A couple of rolls int he heather - lots of fun.
#3 Velvet Song - Raine Montgomery the gentlest of the brothers gets a new squire, a young lad whom Raine, to his horror, finds himself wanting to kiss. Its Alyx and they make beautiful music together.
#4 Velvet Angel - Miles Montgomery is the dark brooding playboy of the lot, irrisitable to all women except Elizabeth Chatworth, whose family has a feud with the Montgomeries (this happens throughout the series). She looks like an angel but behave like a hell cat.
Hope this is helpful. Its a great series.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Velvet Series, July 29 2003
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
As a precurser, I don't read romance novels frequently, but my summer jobs practically dictates that I have an easy read to pick up when work slows. I have found that romance novels are often terrible, but I really enjoyed "Highland Velvet": It made work more bearable.
I managed to finsh "Velvet Promise;" it was a decent read, nothing special. I read "Highland Velvet" out of curiosity, and I have to say I am VERY glad I did. The characters have chemistry, and the setting/historical background held my interest. Also, I think most heros in romance novels are quite silly, but I actually loved Stephen: Deveraux mananges to make him silly, sweet, cute, and sexy.
I tried to read both "Velvet Song" and "Velvet Angel," but they were huge disappointments compared to "Highland Velvet" and I couldn't finish them. I don't suggest that anyone else read them either, but I see they've gotten favorable reviews so feel free to ignore my opinion.
Happy Reading!

1.0 out of 5 stars the heroine sucks badly!, July 20 2001
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all of J.D's Velvet series. I enjoyed it all except for this one. I have been looking forward to read Stephen's story because he was my favorite of all the Montgomery brothers...just to be totally disappointed! I don't mind strong, intelligent, spicy/saucy heroine. In fact, I do prefer it from time to time, however with limit. Bronwyn is too brawny that it made Stephen look weak. Her foul mouth is annoying and very unlady like at all. She has no finesse whatsoever. Made you wonder what Stephen sees in her. OK! she is supposedly beautiful but heck, her mouth and her attitude sucks badly! My ears is actually still ringing from all her whine and insults. I had to force myself to finish this book! She doesn't deserve Stepehen at all! oh well, read this book and judge for yourself. You might like Bronwyn like some reviewers here who rated this book a fiver. But for me, Bronwyn sucks!

5.0 out of 5 stars My absolute Favorite!!, Feb. 19 2002
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
NOW THIS....Is what Historical Romance used to be. Read "Velvet Promise" first so that you know what is going on. I actually read this one first and then found "Velvet Promise" and I read the series when it first came out in the 80's. I miss the old days of romance where it sweeps you into another world and you get lost in the time I remember visualizing Bronwyn's hair and eyes the first time Stephan saw her, I remember feeling a ache in my stomache when Stephan says the words "You will be the Death of Me, Bronwyn" (sigh)
I can see how some readers of today would not like this sort of writing style but for me who discovered Historical romances through Jude Deveraux and Johanna Lindsay I applaud them still. This one will always remain in my "keeper" pile no matter how old I get.
Happy Reading

1.0 out of 5 stars not my kind of story, not my kind of hero & heroine, Nov. 1 2001
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading the mixed reviews of this book here in Amazon, I decided to see for myself. I think this is a "love it or hate it" book and unfortunately, i hated it. The hero is too soft, heroine is too strong. Their relationship is based mostly on stephens lust and bronwyns pride. There is a lot of arguing, throwing insults and fighting physically, which I'll add is more of the heroines doing. Concessions/bargaining is mostly given by the hero. This goes on and on and on... and sounded old and irritating in the end. There's very little romance between them, let alone love. Makes one wonder how they came about that feeling in the end. I will read the rest of the velvet series but I am hoping that the plot and the characters are unlike this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Highland Velvet
Highland Velvet by Jude Deveraux (Mass Market Paperback - May 1 1991)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01