5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Best
I Loved every minute of Bronwin's story the Montgomery family comes to life with every word.
Published on Dec 9 2004 by Watchgirl

2.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTED!
Bronwyn is so annoying I wanted to scream! She doesn't seem strong to me - just whiney! and cold. Bronwyn just felt sorry for herself.
Stephen should have hooked up with Morag. She had some warmth and spunk.
Sorry to say I really didn't like this book...I am not even going to finish it.
Published on Dec 28 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Best, Dec 9 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Jude Deveraux is always a good writer., Jan. 3 2004
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
This novel is second in the Velvet series, and since I only read the first one so far, I liked this one better.
This was a really great book! Very romantic, and the hero, Stephen, is probably the most likable hero of a JD book that I've read so far.
I've read other reviewers say that they didn't like Brondwyn, and that she's too strong and too shrewish, however, I disagree. As a general rule, I don't like the really strong heroine, but in this book I understand where Brondwyn is coming from. She is a clan leader, and as such has to be strong, as she is responsible for the safety of her clan. She leads them during battles, helps defend them against the enemy, and tries to settle disputes. In short, she is a real leader, and you can't expect her to suddenly change into a warm and loving wife. She does do that eventually, but meanwhile, you uis therefore responsible for her clan. She has to be a strong feminine character, you can't be a leader otherwise.
And you can't blame her for hating Stephen at first! She was taught from birth to hate the English, plus she has personally witnessed destruction that they have wraught on the Scots - on her people. And for the icing on the cake, Stephen did stand her up at their own wedding - for a reason which even I feel is quite weak (his sister-in-law had a bad fall and a miscarriage?) Try that one at a real wedding! So she has every right to hate Stephen, however, I think she could have been a little little softer, to make her a more sympathetic female heroine.
The hero of the story, Stephen, seems almost too good to be true. He falls so completely in love with Brandwyn, that he is willing to do anything for her, despite the fact the she hardly appreciates it. He is also very articulate - I found his explanations very well thought out, and it's no wonder that Brondwyn is eventually won over to fall in love with him. I just find it hard to see WHY he was so crazy over her, but that's what romance novels are all about, right?
If you're looking for an interesting historical romance, with a strong heroine and an almost ideal hero, this is the story for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing lacking in second installment of velvet series..., Nov. 2 2003
allie-kat (N.B., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
I absolutely love reading series in which the story seems to go on throughout the books, never ending and just giving more and more. I have fallen in love with the Montgomery brothers. Each is so different, yet alike in some way.
I have to admit that I didn't find Bronwyn very likeable at first. Stephen seemed to be so kind to her always and she flung his kind words back in face at every turn. Not that I couldn't see why... I mean, she had been raised to hate Englishmen from birth and her own father had been murdered by Englishmen. So the way she treated him was very realistic. I probably wouldn't have found it believeable if she had fallen into his arms within days of their marriage, knowing the hatred she harbored within her for Englishmen.
I found Stephen to be the ultimate man... he understood her feelings and strived to make her accept him and fall in love with him. He did everything he could to prove his love... not many men would go to the lengths he did... and in the end he became a true Scot in every possible way.
Bronwyn did win my heart at the end. She softened and realized her love for Stephen... as I knew she would and it was truly a beautiful thing to see. Love does conquer all... I only wish that this would happen in real life more often.
Don't miss this one either... its a keeper!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Velvet Series, July 29 2003
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
As a precurser, I don't read romance novels frequently, but my summer jobs practically dictates that I have an easy read to pick up when work slows. I have found that romance novels are often terrible, but I really enjoyed "Highland Velvet": It made work more bearable.
I managed to finsh "Velvet Promise;" it was a decent read, nothing special. I read "Highland Velvet" out of curiosity, and I have to say I am VERY glad I did. The characters have chemistry, and the setting/historical background held my interest. Also, I think most heros in romance novels are quite silly, but I actually loved Stephen: Deveraux mananges to make him silly, sweet, cute, and sexy.
I tried to read both "Velvet Song" and "Velvet Angel," but they were huge disappointments compared to "Highland Velvet" and I couldn't finish them. I don't suggest that anyone else read them either, but I see they've gotten favorable reviews so feel free to ignore my opinion.
Happy Reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them all!!, May 31 2003
Lisa (Saginaw, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
At the age of 15 I starting reading Jude Deveraux's books. My first was The Conquest. I not only love her books, I love her men. After I read a few, I got upset when she wrote about other families then my beloved Montgomery men. I couldn't get enough off Gavin, Raine, Stephen, and Miles. After reading Sweet Liar, I changed my mind. "...I wouldn't mind having an affair with a Montgomery but I'd rather marry a Taggert" Samantha, Sweet Liar

5.0 out of 5 stars Lush setting and great characters, April 28 2003
Michelle (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this whole series. This is the second and probably most entertaining of the series. I love seeing the hero change his ways and attitudes the more he gets to know his wife's people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written!, April 11 2003
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
A beautiful and captivating love story that I could not put down. A real treat if you enjoy a good romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite of the Velvet Series!, Aug. 31 2002
L. Graham "Book Lov'r" (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
This was by far my favourite of the "Velvet Series". I LOVE Stephen and Bronwyn is the woman most women wish to be. I understood both of them and enjoyed their turbulence. It was fun, intriguing and an overall great read. Worth every moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes!!, March 9 2002
Melissa Sliger (Gaylesville, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this book! Some may not agree with the strong main character Bronwyn, but I loved her. She had her ideas of how her life would be led and she stuck to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars My absolute Favorite!!, Feb. 19 2002
This review is from: Highland Velvet (Mass Market Paperback)
NOW THIS....Is what Historical Romance used to be. Read "Velvet Promise" first so that you know what is going on. I actually read this one first and then found "Velvet Promise" and I read the series when it first came out in the 80's. I miss the old days of romance where it sweeps you into another world and you get lost in the time I remember visualizing Bronwyn's hair and eyes the first time Stephan saw her, I remember feeling a ache in my stomache when Stephan says the words "You will be the Death of Me, Bronwyn" (sigh)
I can see how some readers of today would not like this sort of writing style but for me who discovered Historical romances through Jude Deveraux and Johanna Lindsay I applaud them still. This one will always remain in my "keeper" pile no matter how old I get.
Happy Reading

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Highland Velvet
Highland Velvet by Jude Deveraux (Mass Market Paperback - May 1 1991)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01