5.0 out of 5 stars Three wonderful Short Stories Stuffed in One Cover
I am not much of a short story fan as the shorter the story the less involved the characters or plot tend to be. Jude Deveraux is obviously an exception to this rule. She writes three moving novelas who's characters move you. You end up rooting for them shortly after starting each story.
Published on March 17 2004 by S. K. Leggate

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a dissapointment...
In high school I fell in love with Sweet Liar, and always wondered what would happen to Kane in his own story (because everyone knows in the world of romance novels, the unhappily widowed brother MUST have his own story). So I waited, and forgot about it, and just recently discovered that somewhere along the line, the tale had appeared.
And after reading it, I cannot...
Published on Aug. 29 2002 by Janine Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Three wonderful Short Stories Stuffed in One Cover, March 17 2004
S. K. Leggate "Sunni" (Fernley, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invitation (Mass Market Paperback)
Ms. Deveraux is an accomplished writer as is obvious when reading the novelas in The Invitation. She shows a great imagination that will have yours working overtime as you read. Her discription is marvelous as you can picture the characters and places clearly. If you pick up this book, don't plan on putting it down. You won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one yet!!!, May 25 2003
"erin-nicole" (Bushkill, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invitation (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read a number of Jude's books and I loved this one the most. The Invitation was my absolute favorite. It was so sweet that William waited so long to get Jackie back. The second part was also very good. Cale and Kane do make a very good couple. I did not like the third one. Dorie was too strong at some points, but too weak in the others.

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a dissapointment..., Aug. 29 2002
Janine Allen (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invitation (Mass Market Paperback)
And after reading it, I cannot even begin to conceal my dissapointment. It's short, cursory and unrealistic. I can hardly believe the author who spent so much time and energy making Mike and Samantha lovable not only rushed through this leg of the adventure, but spared barely a glance at their matrimonial bliss.
I have only one thing to say. Ugh. I've lost faith in Deveraux's ability.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!!, June 1 2002
Karen (cebu city, philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invitation (Mass Market Paperback)
i absolutely loved this book!! highly recomended! though i really didnt like jackie and william's story.. it was boring and not funny at all.. but, cale's story! man, it was great! she was so sarcastic and down to earth.. my favorite heroine. and funny to boot! i really couldnt stop laughing at her story. jude really knows how to combine humor with passion in her stories!!!
cole and dorrie's story was my 2nd favorite.. all in all, one good book to read in just one day!

5.0 out of 5 stars So great!, April 26 2002
Marissa (Salt Lake City, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invitation (Mass Market Paperback)
I thought I'd dislike the book since it was 3 short stories and I love long novels. But I LOVED this book!
Jackie & William were my least favorite just because their story was...well, kind of boring. William was sweet though, and it was cool that he was a virgin.
Cale & Kane were great! Cale was absolutely hilarious, she cracked me up. Kane wasn't NEARLY as amazing as his brother Mike, unfortunately.
Dorie & Cole were my favorites - they were sweet and funny. I love how Cole falls in love with innocent little Dorie! They were both great characters.
Definitely wanna read this book again someday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cale is the Woman!, Jan. 14 2002
This review is from: The Invitation (Mass Market Paperback)
I have to say that I wish Matchmakers was oh-so-much longer! I loved Cale's character! She wasn't sappy, whiny, crying every other page... she was what every heroine should be! Strong, independent, competent, clever, witty! I wish that there were more heroines like her! I really felt pain for Kane, but I was so frustrated at him not being able to see Ruth for the tramp she was. During the whole game Ruth was playing, Cale's cynicism was CRACKING ME UP! I laughed so much! This was my favorite story.
The Invitation was okay. I absolutely loved William. He was the perfect man, hero, everything! Completely to-die-for. He, so far, is my favorite hero of all the books I have read! The plot was a little slow, though. Out of the three, this was my least favorite.
A Perfect Arrangement was HILARIOUS! I laughed so much at Cole! I loved Dorie and I could totally relate to her, finally being freed after her father's death and finally living out her thoughts and speaking her mind. I loved watching her blossom and come out of herself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Matchmakers deserves audiobook publication, May 29 2001
Mary G Williams "bigbluey2k" (Crossville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Invitation (Mass Market Paperback)
I can just hear Jenna Stern narrating it now: "A male voice rumbled out of the truck, and even I could feel the masculinity of it. Either the driver was a heap-big male stud cowboy or they'd trained one of the bulls to drive." Said cowboy, of course, is Kane Taggert, twin brother of Mike from Sweet Liar. Humor is a staple in many of Ms. Deveraux's novels, but I think I hurt myself reading Matchmakers the first time. It has a special place on my bookself for when I need a laugh. Now I want an audiobook version to listen to while sitting in traffic. Please?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Heroes, Greater Heroines!, June 18 2000
This review is from: The Invitation (Mass Market Paperback)
Let me begin my saying that I usually love novellas because they are not as complicated as full length romances. Let's face it: not everyone that falls in love has so many obstacles as some characters in romance novels have.
In the first novella, William Montgomery captured my heart. He was so certain that Jackie was the woman for him, and I felt something akin to envy when Jackie finally got together with William.
In the second novella, I adored Cale's spunkiness and cynicism. I loved Cale's views on Ruth and the cowboy Kane Taggert. I loved the fact that Cale did not sob over Kane's defection like so many sappy heroines would have.
In the third and last novella, I especially like Apollodoria. Her attitude reminds me of so many friends I have. She is blunt with Cole, and does not lie to him to get what she wants.
All three were great novellas, and I would recommend them to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gosh, did everyone just love Cale or what!, April 7 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Invitation (Mass Market Paperback)
I usually prefer length novels to short storyies but this one was just oh-so delicious! I don't know if it's because authors have more freedom to experiment on new things in short stories or what, but this book is filled with some delightful surprises. And on top of the list lies Cale, our heroine from second story. She is just so... different,refreshing, and unforgattable. She is full of spunk and adorable cynicism and sharp edgy wits that it's hard not to fall for her. She is one of a kind and we really need more heroines like her(I mean really!). There would be nothing better to have a lengthy novel with a character like her-we must insist Ms.Deveraux! (OK,I'm getting too excited,but really.) Buy it, read it, indulge yourself. Oh, and if you liked Cale try some of Joan Wolfe's writing, it has similar taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total agreement to those who loved CALE!!, Oct. 10 1999
This review is from: The Invitation (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read the reviews above, and everybody has already said it so well. Cale is perfect. I just love her sense of humor. The first and third stories are typical Jude Deveraux. The second story is the best yet!!! Her sarcasm had me in stitches...every time i read it...which is tons of times. I have not read any book which have remotely touched it yet. Please e-mail me if you know of one. I'd love to hear from you!!! :)

ARRAY(0xb09052c4)

The Invitation
The Invitation by Jude Deveraux (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1 1994)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01