5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Favorites
Published on June 6 2004 by Show me the Romance!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pass on this one...
Personally, I don't like my men stupid, and Jamie Montgomery is stupid. I couldn't STAND to read about him. Axia is really better off with her sterile intended, end of story.
Published on Aug. 1 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of My Favorites, June 6 2004
This review is from: The Heiress (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read a dozen of Ms. Deveraux novels, including the entire Velvet series, and this novel, The Heiress, ranks as one of my favorites. Jamie Montgomery was an incredible character with a lot more substance than most leading men of romance novels. How refreshing that this was not a story of just another rich titled ladies' man sweeping the virginal maiden off her reluctant feet. The last chapter, short on details, was too easy an ending but the epilogue was a pleasant surprise...you will enjoy this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cyrano-Devereaux Style, June 10 2004
Melissa McCauley (North Little Rock, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Heiress (Mass Market Paperback)
Far more entertaining (to me) than the original Cyrano tale, JD creates a engaging and funny love story around mistaken and hidden identities. One of her better books. A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A KEEPER, Jan. 22 2004
This review is from: The Heiress (Mass Market Paperback)
My first book by Ms. Devereaux was VElvet promise, and I loved it. But I have to say that this one is by far the best. No strange plot, cruel villains. Only a fun and sweet story. I love all Montgomerys, but Jamie has something special. He is caring and sweet. And Axia is not a typical heroine. She is smart but at the same time innocent. And, well all characters are great. My favourite of course is Tode.
The book starts with a funny scene between Jamie and his sisters, you will LOL. And the love scene between Jamie and "Diane" is beautiful. If you need a book for a long winter afternoon you will be not disapointed. My only regret is that is too short, but it worths your money. I hope Frances will have her own story she is a nice girl after all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Now this is the kinda Jude Deveraux novel I've always loved!, Oct. 5 2003
allie-kat (N.B., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Heiress (Mass Market Paperback)
Although I've read some pretty bad reviews of Jude's newer novels, I still have faith in her ability. She was the first author I ever read in the romance genre. And she's the one who hooked me.
Thankfully this book was more like what I'm used to with her writing. I found it a bit slow in the beginning as I was meeting each of the characters and learning about their lives... but soon it picked up and I was quickly turning each page to see what happened next.
I liked the twist of Jamie thinking Frances was the Maidenhall heiress instead of Axia. It truly made the story an interesting read. I found the end very touching for several different reasons. The first one being what happens with the secondary characters and another being what happens with her father... but though I enjoyed it, I felt that after all her father had put her through and how he was made to seem throughout the book... the ending seemed a little too smooth, quick and neatly tied up.
Besides that, I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it as a great addition to your bookshelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars The first of many yet to come..., Aug. 7 2003
Bella (ON ,Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Heiress (Mass Market Paperback)
Having been the first 'romantic' book this reader has read, it certainly made a lasting impression and certainly won't be the last.
The characters in this novel are rich in personality and the relationship between Axia and Jamie is one which is both appealling and extremely desireable.
So if you're in the mood for a light-hearted fairy-tale romance with a twist, this is a must-read for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pass on this one..., Aug. 1 2003
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Jude Deveraux, Feb. 21 2003
Lealing (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Heiress (Mass Market Paperback)
The Heiress has got to be my favourite JD so far! Witty, romantic, good strong characters and an unexpected ending. Often in romantic novels. It is one party doing the chasing of the other reluctant party but in the Heiress both parties are instantly attracted to each other. I love strong heroines and Axia is brave and is not afraid to discover and enjoy life. If you have never read a JD novel I recommend that you start with this one. You won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Heiress, Jan. 3 2003
Sara Lea Bennett (Newfoundland, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Heiress (Mass Market Paperback)
O-mi-gawd..... Never have I wanted a Montgomery man to myself so badly, and after reading several Jude Deveraux books, including A Knight in Shining Armor (Didn't offer much of a conclusion for me) and The Duchess,among others, I can't decide if I want James or the "Vellie" of many decades later. Does it matter? Sadly, not!
I have to say though, the bood was great but there were some few confusions for me, which just might be confusions.
Jamie is said to be a Norman knight on the cover, and I always associated Normans with King Richard the Lionhearted (There is also a Richard mentioned when the characters speak of making perfume near the end)and I believe they do mention fighting in the holy lands, and, after all, that is where Richard had his claim to real fame(I will be re-reading the book today however), but America, which is spoken of, was not "discovered" at this time. It was in the Elisabeathan age, which I grant one of the "official" reviewer's mentioned.
Oh well, that was bothering me. I hope that was coherent enough. Completley understandable if its not :p

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard to finish!!!, Oct. 17 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Heiress (Mass Market Paperback)
It took me a month to finish this book! Usually I am more than willing to stay up all night to finish a Jude Deveraux book. (I LOVED "Rememberance"!!!) For every few pages from "The Heiress" that I was able to make myself read, I would put the book down and take a few days break. The book was hard for me to get interested in, but I forced myself to finish it because it was a Jude Deveraux book. I think the surprise ending made up for the rest of the book, but I would not recommend getting this just for that. Do yourself a favor and borrow it from the library. You'll satisfy your curiosity without feeling stupid about paying for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Buckets of Tears!!!!, Aug. 2 2002
sarah (happy happy wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Heiress (Mass Market Paperback)
Where do i begin? One thing that makes this book stand out is how honest Deveraux is with these characters. These characters are not perfectly perfect and yet we grow to love them just the same, maybe even more! Through the story I always thought that Axia had the wrong view of Frances' personality. However, I never thought she was wrong about her father. (You will have to read the story for yourself to know what I mean...) There are quite a bunch of surprises in this story. "The Heiress" is a beautifully, honestly told story of the ultimate joy & beauty & satisfaction of loving people just as they are - our quirks and faults and positive redeeming qualities make us uniquely ourselves - and not for what their station in life is & what they look like & what they have. The ending to this story had me totally floored & it was PERFECT!!!! (In the Epilogue, I was so completely touched by how this person showed their true colors.) I was still crying as I found my way to write this review. And although some reviewers thought the ending didn't coincide with the rest of the story, I believe that the ending further expressed how people sometimes make quick character judgments based on prejudice that could not be farther from the person's true character. It is a lesson that all of us should take to heart!!!! This is a morality tale beneath the veneer of sassy romance novel that should NOT be missed. I am going straight to the nearest half-price books -- er-i mean AMAZON -- to buy it! :-)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Heiress
The Heiress by Jude Deveraux (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 1 1995)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89