5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book
I was asked to speak to out local church group recently. With little to no public speaking experience, I went out and got this book rather than decline to speak (a thought that had crossed my mind)
Published on Feb. 4 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good (but what do I know?)
Let there be no pretenses -- I'm a loser.

Always have been, always will be. That's just the type of person I am, and nothing is going to change that. So when the guy sitting next to me at work recommended that I read, "How to Develop Self-Confidence and Influence People", I was skeptical.

First of all, I don't even think this guy likes...
Published on Nov. 17 2003 by chatchi

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, Feb. 4 2004
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People (Mass Market Paperback)
My presentation went over in a big way. It was very successful. The tips and advice really worked. In fact, they worked so well that I have since joined toastmasters and have bought other books on public speaking.
From zero to above average public speaker. Thank you Mr. Carnegie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides invaluable organization and presentation methods., April 2 1998
By A Customer
I have been a Toastmaster for several years. This book pulled my experiences together, and showed me how to make better use of preparation and presentation techniques. Carnegie addresses the whole person, and radiates an interest in people and their goals.
Two of the more valuable approaches of the book were its focus on the gradual development of a speech through the use of constant reflection, and its instruction for using imagery to recall the points of a speech when you are actually out on the floor.

Another strong point of the book is its use of examples, both from historical and comtemporary (for the author) sources. The examples not only strengthen the interest of the reader, but augment and reinforce the points Carnegie is emphasizing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic, Aug. 27 2013
Ric Phillips "CommCoach" (Toronto) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Any Dale Carnegie book is worth a read. Yes the material is getting out-dated pretty fast, but the heart of the stories and anecdotes are what you take away from the book. This is a good read for those interested in improving their public speaking. And some of the recommended pronunciation of certain words at the end are a bit funny now too! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars How to become a more successful speaker, Aug. 27 2000
Franco Arda (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
As one could expect from a expert in human interaction, Dale Carnegie wrote a clear and concise book on public speaking. The book is very readable, with loads of "practical" examples, and with a fantastic summary after each chapter. I am sure the book can be of help to the novice as for the expert speaker alike. I gave the book 4 stars, because in my view only mind blowing books like Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" deserve the maximum of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book, May 13 2003
Keith D Allen (Milpitas, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very good book. It kept me very interested and I read it in a few days. It is full of stories and practical advice on how to speak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, May 13 2003
Keith D Allen (Milpitas, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Very good book. A page turner chalk full of great ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Real Dale Carnegie, Nov. 15 2001
By A Customer
I like Dale Carnegie's books that are published today. I recently discovered his textbook for public speaking, which could give Christians a deeper appreciation. It is called Public Speaking and Influencing Men in Business. It is worth borrowing through inter-library loan from your library or finding it at an auction. It gives you his complete text, and not the revision.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good (but what do I know?), Nov. 17 2003
Let there be no pretenses -- I'm a loser.

First of all, I don't even think this guy likes me. He probably thinks I'm a dork because I've never had a girlfriend. It's not like I can help it -- girls don't like guys like me. They want someone that drives a fast car and can drink lots of beer. Sorry, but I'll never be cool like that.

Well, I did what he said, and read the book. It's good -- I guess -- but I don't see how it's going to help me. It's not like girls are going to start talking to me now that I've read this book. No matter what I do, they're always going to think that I'm a loser.

There are a couple of things in this book that might help me increase my self-confidence and my ability to influence people, but I doubt it.

How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People
How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People by Dale Carnegie (Mass Market Paperback - May 31 1991)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92