5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable
Published on March 23 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable, March 23 2004
This review is from: Ruby (Mass Market Paperback)
I gave this book 3 stars because it did, in the end, achieve what it set out to do: it got me to buy the other books in the series. And it was an interesting read and a fast one. That being said, however, I think that this series more than any other (by V.C. Andrews) made me angry. I know that Andrews' characters are known for their...passivity, but Ruby really took it too far. She let everyone from her drunken, redneck grandpere to her to her whorish, jealous twin sister walk all over her. To tell you the truth, by the end of this first book, I was almost rooting for Giselle! At least she had a reason to act the way she did! She had been spoiled by her father, neglected by her adopted mother...she had to face the fact that her history wasn't what she had been told. She had to accept that she not only had a twin sister, but that the very same twin sister was moving into her house and usurping her place in her daddy's heart. And then? Then her sister stole her boyfriend! So...basically anything she wanted to do to Ruby was pretty much okay with me.
And speaking of the boyfriend...
Beau Andres was the most shallow, boorish, unlikable male lead I have ever come across. He dumped Giselle for Ruby, claiming to be oh so appreciative of her sweet virginity. Then at the first chance he gets he rapes her in her art studio! I don't care if she ended up enjoying the climax or not! She pleaded with him to stop about 50 times and he wouldn't! RAPE! And the fact that Ruby views this act not for the assault it is but for an indication of "love" is sickening. Their whole relationship was sickening...throughout this first book I kept hoping she'd run back to the swamps. I'd much rather have seen [having sex] with her brother than this lout. At least her brother treated her with some respect.
Still, in the end, the author did do a good enough job on the characters for me to get so angry with them...which I guess connotes good writing. Of a sort. My advice? Read it but take it with a grain of salt.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, April 15 2002
suheidy alamilla (SanBernardino, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ruby (Mass Market Paperback)
THIS WAS THE FIRST BOOK I EVER READ OF THIS AUTHOR,AND JUST READING THE FIRST FEW PAGES I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT. ITS ABOUT THIS POOR CAJUN GIRL NAMED RUBY, WHO LIVED WITH HER GRANMOTHER WHO WAS A SPIRITUAL HEALER IN THE BAYOU. SHE WAS 15 AND WAS FALLING FOR A GUY NAMED PAUL, WHEN HER GRANMOTHER FOUND OUT SHE TOLD RUBY A DEEP DARK SECRET ABOUT THAT GUY. RUBY'S HEART WAS TORN IN 2. ONE NIGHT, HER GRANMOTHER TOLD HER WHO HER FATHER WAS AND THAT SHE HAD A TWIN SISTER WHO LIVED IN NEW ORLEANS. RUBY PROMISED HER GRANMOTHER IF ANYTHING HAPPENED TO HER THAT SHE MUST GO AND FIND HER FATHER, WHO WAS A RICH CREOLE. AND SO RUBYS LIFE IS CHANGED FROM MOMENT TO ANOTHER. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE I RECOMEN YOU TO READ IT IT IS GOOD!!!! WELL HAVE FUN

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT START!, March 9 2004
This review is from: Ruby (Mass Market Paperback)
This was a great novel that I read in only 2 days!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ruby, Oct. 27 2003
This review is from: Ruby (Hardcover)
Yes, I do recommend to my classmate because someone gave this book to me and they told me it's been good. When I starting reading already I was really into the book. I was actually into the book and the cover of the book was interesting because there was a girl who looks very sad. When I first get a book I usually read the first page And I would stop if I don't like it. I wanted to find out more of what happening like the dark secret or the surprise in this story. This was the first book I ever read of this arthur and just reading the first pages I fell in love with it.
The thing I really set my attention is when her mother had Ruby and Gisselle at the age of 20 and that she died very young when giving both to a twin. The dark secret was that her grandfather is a gambler and sold her other granddaughter for10 thousand to the baby father. The thing is Jack didn't know that he had a twin sister and that he only cared about himself.
The book relate to other books because every books has their own unique styles like the language they speak and talk, how there were raised different from everyone and where they come from. It relates to the reader if they want to find out more to the story or if it interesting to them. This book is more like a mystery with deep dark secretes with some romance, love and caring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Sept. 13 2003
Alicia (Madison, WV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ruby (Mass Market Paperback)
By far, one of the VERY best books I have EVER read. This story is so captivating it hooks you from the first pages. Though this book is somewhat long,(like 442 pages I believe) I read this book easily in 3 days. You literally cannot put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far VC Andrews best....but I've got many to go, June 10 2003
Mama Kimmberli "Mama Kimmberli" (Boonies - Southwest, Chicago) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ruby (Mass Market Paperback)
Having read the Dollanganger and Casteel family series, this (the Landry family series) was indeed my favorite. It's so different. Both the Dollanganger and Casteel family series took place (mostly) on the East Coast. To have Ruby set in the colorful Louisiana bayou was thrilling! AND, the evil twin sister twist was pretty exciting, too.
Ruby still has some of the maddening features that other Andrews characters have had, though. First, Ruby displays way too much tolerance. I would call her weak, but she triumphs over certain adversities -- she certainly has gumption and a stiff backbone to go from rags to riches (in true VC Andrews style) the way she did. However, the plethora of characters that walked all over her without her so much as raising an eyebrow makes you want to leap through the pages and smack her around a bit. I myself would have slipped a little arsenic in Giselle's tea and thrown Grandpere to the alligators in the swamps from day one - those characters were just too evil!!
The characters are a little flat and one-sided -- those who are evil are evil through and through. Those who are sweet and innocent and kind stay that way. Also, Paul fawns over Ruby juuuuu-uuuust a wee bit much. Come on....guys will do a lot for a girl, but he was cute and successful -- he wouldn't have stuck around through so much drama. (And it gets even worse in All That Glitters, book 3 of this series.)

5.0 out of 5 stars the start of a great siries!, April 17 2003
This review is from: Ruby (Mass Market Paperback)
im hooked by this book I can tell its going to keep getting better read this book and the siris youll fall in to the story and think your living though it

5.0 out of 5 stars First Book in the Landry Family Series, March 28 2003
This review is from: Ruby (Mass Market Paperback)
In "Ruby," we go deeper into the South, into Cajun country (Houma, Louisiana), where 15-year-old Ruby Landry lives in poverty with her grandparents, Grandmere Catherine and Grandpere Jack, never knowing who her parents were (her mother's dead, and her father is unknown at the moment). This is also one of the few books where the reader is aware of the time period in which the book takes place--the early 1960s.
As is typical with every V. C. Andrews heroine, Ruby has tremendous artistic talent and is encouraged by her grandmother to pursue her dreams of becoming a successful painter. However, several life-altering secrets arise to detour her from doing so. For starters, Ruby finds out her boyfriend (Paul Tate) is really her half-brother. (Imagine that.) Yet that doesn't really bother either of them, because they still get hot and heavy. Forbidden fruit and all that, I guess.
Ruby's second surprise comes when she finds a photo of her father, Pierre Dumas, and discovers that she has a twin sister living with him somewhere in New Orleans. Shortly after Grandmere Catherine confesses all of this, she dies, leaving Ruby in the care of her despicable, alcoholic Grandpere Jack, which was an obvious mistake, because he tries to sell her just like he did with her other two illegitimate siblings. So, Ruby flees Houma and searches for her wealthy family in New Orleans during Mardi Gras, a terrifically authentic setting that horror writer Anne Rice uses quite often in her own books; and it works just fine for V. C. Andrews as well in this series.
It's always interesting when I shop for V. C. Andrews books, because either her books are tucked away in the romance section, or they're mislabeled as horror. I've even found them in the kids section, but those are usually the recent miniseries books. While "Flowers in the Attic," for one, could probably be considered horror, most of her books are just dramatic family sagas, aka general fiction. There's nothing remotely scary about these books. It's more psychological, involving lurid family secrets (like rape and incest, which are hardly romance-friendly topics); that's probably why these books are branded "gothic horror."
Anyway, "Ruby" pretty much follows the same paint-by-numbers storyline that has been haunting practically every latter-day series by V. C. Andrews. Yet this is still a captivating series, filled with Cajun-style superstitions and horrible family secrets. Following "Ruby" comes "Pearl in the Mist" (#2), "All That Glitters" (#3), "Hidden Jewel" (#4), and "Tarnished Gold" (#5).

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, Oct. 24 2002
This review is from: Ruby (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this book while looking through my sisters things and it looked boring, but it is so true that u can never judge a book by its cover. Ruby is an exciting and entertaining book.And it is so easy to get caught up in whats happening in it.This book caught me hooked on V.C Andrews and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruby Meets Her Dad after Grandma Dies, Oct. 9 2002
This review is from: Ruby (Mass Market Paperback)
I can relate to how Ruby had felt when she left Houma for New Orleans. I was glad that her dad Pierre acknowledged and accepted. But I was sad when Pierre's wife Daphne yelled at Ruby for things that weren't her (R) fault. Whenever Ruby tried to tell her side of the story, Daphne refused to listen to her. It was good when Pierre stood up to Daphne after Ruby escaped from the mental institution. However Pierre should have stood up to Daphne from day one! I pretty much relate to Ruby because it hurts when I get yelled at for stuff that isn't my fault.

Ruby
Ruby by V.C. Andrews (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 1 1994)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01