5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful book by Mr. Robbins
I have quite a library of books and tapes from people like Napolean Hill to Anthony Robbins. Many years ago, somebody gave me a book on NLP, I have yet to finish it. It was not easy reading.
Published on July 8 2004 by CyberMan

1.0 out of 5 stars Where are the references?
Published on April 26 2002 by louis cardinale

1.0 out of 5 stars Where are the references?, April 26 2002
This review is from: Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial (Paperback)
In chapter 17: References; The Fabric of Life. Robbins discusses the importance of references. But where are the references to support his statements? I couldn't find any. When I went to the back of this book which where references are typically located, all I found were advertisements for Robbins.While Robbins talks about how he used to live in a 40 square foot apartment washing dishes in his bathtub, he never explains what he did to reach his level of wealth. Of course we all know what he did; he sold books, tapes and seminars.Notice the 5 star reviewers (probably Robbins emloyees) use the same lines but also neglect to say what they didto change their lives and attain such great success.How can Anthony expect anybdy to take him seriously? I recommend Norman Vincent Peales book, You can if You Think You can and Miracle Power by Joseph Murphy. I also recommend introduction to NLP by Joseph O'Connor and Instant Rapport by Michael Brooks.If you must read this one by Robbins, borrow it at the library. You'll find it there. Robbins is the greatest self promoter of the last 100 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful book by Mr. Robbins, July 8 2004
Conversely, Robbins is as enjoyable to read as he is to listen to. He offers basic NLP techniques (he calls it NAC) and I agree with Tony that the key for long lasting results is to practice these techniques, to condition your mind with neuro associative techniques.
Perhaps the best key is to model other successful people. This can speed your success rate. The goal setting workshop is powerful.
Awaken The Giant is an outstanding book that can help you reach your dreams.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Sept. 4 2012
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I am mystified by some of the mixed reviews here. I must admit I had some scepticism of Mr Robbins based on his infomercials years ago, mainly because he tells what his material can do, but not how it works. In this book though he delivers the goods.

This book contains some profound methods to improve your thinking and improve your life. I am still working through this book, yet already I have successfully used some of the concepts.

For example, there is a chapter about asking yourself the right questions, which can instantly change you into a more positive and empowering state, rather than feel victimized as people often do by adversity.

I used the transformative language technique to resolve a situation where I was angered by the behavior of an associate. Through using the word disenchanted instead of angry to describe how I felt, I immediately lessened the emotional intensity of the situation, and was ultimately able to resolve the situation peacefully.

This book also contains practical and powerful NLP techniques, such as repatterning and swish technique. While it may be true to say that some of Robbins work is derivative of the works of Erickson, Bandler and Grinder I have rarely seen the material presented in such a user friendly way. There truly is magic in these concepts.

If you can imagine leading a better and more effective life the concepts in this book will show you the way.

What I particularly appreciate about this book is how well written it is. It has a really flowing easy to read style. I highly recommend this book, and I have a great deal of respect for the writer after reading it.

I hope you find this review helpful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Make real Transformation... not this--please., Oct. 6 2003
By A Customer
I did all the Tony Robbins stuff for years. The tapes, books-all of it. I was one of the unfortunate ones that got hooked. Instead of just bashing Mr. Robbins, I will write a clear, well detailed review of SOME of the huge flaws in his little money making system so that those major fans who will of course disagree with me, will at least read this and at some point will hopefully "see the light". Unfortunately, in this short review I can't explain things in great detail. Some of you will get what I'm saying though. Please read this carefully and think about what I am saying-scientifically--Please.
-Let's start with the mindset of these books. He promotes a super achiever kind of hyper-doer attitude. I would instead opt for being at peace with myself--HERE & NOW. Learning to BE. Not just be a doer. Does that mean being complacent? NO! It means you can set goals but it has nothing to do with your self-acceptance and daily joy.
-He uses this Pain/Pleasure principal to motivate you. That is a highly flawed system. It is based on causing stress on yourself and motivating you through discomfort. Has anyone stopped to think that one can achieve goals through peace and discipline. It's not motivation through pain/pleasure we need, it's learning to deal with our AVERSION to discomfort that holds many of us back. Facing that with persevearance and wisdom is the only way to deal with that-not gimmicky NAC.
-It is wrong to create MUSTS as he teaches. That causes people to be stressed out and to be attatched and anxious to things. You cannot DEMAND change of yourself. This again is based on the erroneous idea that we're so highly flawed we need to whip ourselves to grow. Not true. Better to learn Positive motivation skills based on learning to enjoy the Process not just the outcome.
-Tony goes in so many different directions in his book you don't know when to use what
-Why does he say that it's important to know that all feelings are good, they are Action Signals-yet he tells you to "break thru" depression,worry and other states. If we are going to accept our feelings how can we also go against them by trying to change them with NAC and physiology etc(that is not acceptance at all that is manipulation and many of you may have figured out by now that you can't battle with your feelings-ACCEPTANCE of them nonjudgmentally brings transformation)
Why, if we are to accept feelings do we need Transformational Vocabulary?? If we supposedly accept them as Action Signals, why tell myelf I'm peeved instead of angry? and will that really work? NO WAY. Of course you'll remain angry. C'MON. That is just silly.
-So much of it is really just a pump up. I admit that that might have it's place to a certain degree. Yes, I'm sure the pump up got some to achieve. That's a good thing, but this Robbins "technology" as a reliable, well developed system? Not quite.
-His system for creating Values is so ridiculously superficial. Just becaue you write down these supposed values and rules, that doesn't mean they will reflect you TRUE feelings. WE ARE NOT THAT SIMPLISTIC!
-Tony Robbins, having "mastered" relationships divorced his wife Becky a few years ago. Again, we are not that simplistic as his system tries to profess.
My intention is to try to help you seekers out there, not to bash Mr Robbins.
People would be better off making more of a "spiritual" discovery that brings them UNCONDITIONAL SELF ACCEPTANCE and Inner Peace. Something that is not based on achievment. You don't need to create this "achieve to win" attitude. Without transforming from the inside out, it's all a band aid solution and YES, you can be HIGHLY productive and just BE without getting into this crazed achiever mindset. Since when is that the purpose of life? Folks, you are all able to achieve great things by getting centered and tuning in to yourself. Trust yourself.
Find that wellspring within! You don't need all this pumped up, gimmicky stuff. A much better book would be The Power of Now. A book about real transformation. Finding inner grace in life moment to moment and yes achieving, but with inner satisfaction all along the way, whatever the outcome!
I hope you've read these points carefully and let them sink in. I hope to save you years of confusion by falling into these superficial techniques. Wishing you the best!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Hucksterism 101, July 22 2002
Of all the questions that have boggled the human mind through the ages I have one more question to add to the litany of unanswerables:How is it that people fall for self-promoting hucksters like Robbins time and time again?It should be quite obvious that Robbins real success lies in telling you repeatedly how successful he is.He has not amassed a $300,000,000 dollar fortune by any financial genius but merely by selling the idea of success.As they say,nothing sells like success.
It is not that Robbins gives bad advice but only that it is adrenaline-rush excitement that abates in a few hours.His books,tapes etc. are sort of like heavy metal music:it is inspiring for a few minutes and makes you feel as though you could go up to the biggest guy on the street and whip his tail,but as soon as the adrenaline rush wears off and you come to your senses you realize how ridiculous your momentary delusions really were.Ten minutes after you've finished reading Robbins you realize that you've read the bluster of an exceptional used car salesman.
Of course,the selling never ends.If you want to be an even greater success you'll need to attend Robbins seminars at two or three thousand bucks a clip.Of course these seminars lead to more seminars.The Church of Scientology has the same kind of racket.I imagine that is precisely whre Robbins got his inspiration.
In the end,Robbins books and advice are squarely in line with the heap of new age blather and nonsense.Human beings never change until they want to change or have to change.All the cheerleading and toothy smiles and feel-good pap in the world can't change the fact.By the way,don't miss his QVC appearances.They're a hoot!

1.0 out of 5 stars Shallow Tony?, March 23 2002
Paige Turner (Berkeley CA (People's Republic)) - See all my reviews
What a hoot that Tony Robbins is getting divorced! I'm not to worried about Becky, with even a chunk of Tony's 200-300 million dollars, she should be set for life. Tony is in his 40s and Becky is a little bit older. Let's face it, men like young blondes and Tony has traded his middle-aged wife in for one (read "mean genes" to understand why). He claims that he couldn't ride his Harley and fly his helicopter enough with Becky, but that is a pretty flimsy excuse. Men want what they want and when they have 200 million dollars they generally get it or take it. I'm a guy and would probably do the exact same thing.
As for how he made his money, it was just by promising a gullible publice they could make money. There are plenty of depressed and desperate people out there for him to prey on. His nutriional advice will only increase depression in many people. There is too much sugar and not enough protien in it and for people with my biochemistry it is big trouble - more depression and bad moods. And after that I would need another hit of a new Tony Robbins tape.
But what has the NLP master accomplished? Does he speak foriegn languages? Can he memorize hundreds of names? What? He can get all pumped up with enthusiasm and fly a jet helicopter.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book is B.S., Sept. 19 2001
No, I'm not talking about "Belief Systems." Of course I could use "Transformational Vocabulary" and call this book "a little aromatic."

The tone of this book contains a lot of energy and inspiration but the content is another story. It sensationalizes and dramatizes many issues (just count how many exclamation points appear and how many times the word "power" comes up). Do we really have to become "Giants" to be happy?

This book alleges to teach you "How to take immediate control of your mental, emotional, physical, and financial destiny!" I found it disturbing that he includes "fianancial" as a fifth dimension of man. Dr. Stephen Covey, in "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People", more expertly describes man's quality of life depending upon the first four. He instructs us that each dimension "interdependently" affects the other and the key to improving one is to improve the others. For example, exercising (physical) can give us more energy to read(mental). This book explains neither connection nor natural sequence between each of the human dimensions. The 7 Habits depicts them in order: physical, mental, social (or emotional), and spiritual, telling us that each one contains and depends upon the others before it. This book totally neglects the spiritual dimension and seems to have replaced it with this "financial" dimension. While Covey includes "financial" into the "physical" section, Robbins makes it into a fifth dimension, over-emphasizing the importance of money.

While Robbins includes a brief section on analyzing our time spent into "important" and "urgent" categories telling us to spend time on the important, Covey again is more intricate and accurate. He uses a time quadrant, including urgent but not important , urgent and important , neither important nor urgent, and important but not urgent (the most desirable quad to spend time in.)

A section of Robbins' book carries the title, "The Ultimate Challenge: What One Person Can Do." But Covey teaches us that we can achieve far more together than each of us could independently. This he calls "interdependence," something Robbins neglects in this book.
While Robbins' based his book upon techniques that may or may not work depending upon the situation, Covey based his book on principles that never change. Awaken the Giant teaches us outside-in strategies like "Transformational Vocabulary" to change our attitude or behavior. The 7 Habits teaches us inside-out strategies like changing our marriage by first changing ourselves or changing our behaviors by first changing what our behaviors flow from- our perceptions. Robbins based his book on the assumption that you already know what you want (money, sex, power, more money, good looks) Covey bases his book on the idea that we can only be effective climbing the ladder of success if it is leaned against the right wall. While Robbins' book shows us how to use our moods to achieve, Covey's teaches us Proactivity: using the space between stimulus and response to act based upon values, not moods.

Covey wrote another book just on the success stories of the 7 Habits along with further instruction: "Living the Seven Habits". To date, Robbins has published no "Living Awaken the Giant Within" and no wonder.

You may even want to bypass the self-help books altogether and take another route: If you want to make more money, read a Financial Strategy book. If you want to get into better shape, read a Fitness book. If you want to pursue the "Ultimate Solution" to homelessness, the prison system, or gang violence, read a Sociology book. This book displays no expertise on any of these subjects, although it professes to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, Nov. 10 2002
dasn0wman "dasn0wman" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This book is the author's poor attempt to make a fast buck riding from his previous bestseller, "Unlimited Power". If you must find out what this is all about, get "Unlimited Power" instead - very similar bs but better or EVEN better, search for books on NLP. If you want a real self-help book, get "The Power of Your Unconscious Mind".

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good tools and beliefs to improve your life, May 19 2004
By A Customer
This is a very good book with lots of techniques and skills that will change your life, IF you faithfully apply them in your life to make a change. Robbins stands out from most self-improvement educators because he produces massive results by massive action and applying the techniques he learned.
A lot of people I see who don't get any result out of this book are the people who reads it halfway, and didn't do anything else, let alone apply any of the techniques in this book! Another group envies the author's fame and wealth, and uses that as an excuse that the techniques can't change their life.

Yet a group of very successful self-made millionaires I know recommend this book and say that this book is one of their favourite that changed their atiitudes, beliefs, and actions.

If you want to be successful and improve, will following the suggestions and actions of those people who aren't successful make you sucessful? That would be like studying all the broken cars in the junkyard, in order to learn how to build a brand new car that works!

This book includes many skills and 'tools of the mind' that you can use to change your life - such as Empowering Beliefs Sucessful people have, Power of Right Question, Knowing your values, Rules, among others. It is quite a thick book. But If you are really interested and curious about the methods that can change your life (If you apply them after you read them), then you will find this book truly facinating!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good role model and beliefs, May 19 2004
Anthony Robbins is the first person that I modeled that really changed my life for the better. Before him, I have read other books on psychology and self-improvement, but all those just ended up with lots of theories about things, but very little practical application in real life.
Robbins is the person who walks his talk. He takes what he learned and modelled from other masters like Jim Rohn, Robert Shuller, Richard Bandler, Milton Erickson, Robert Cialdini and many others, but he does something different and achieve far greater results than his teachers. The reason is that he takes all the techniques seriously and apply them faithfully to the n-th degree. Few of his very powerful beliefs he lives by that I have used to achieve impossible achievements are "There is ALWAYS a way, If I am committed to find one", "It is in the moments of your decisions that your destiny is shaped", "Manage your emotional states and you master your behaviours".

If you read about his story, he was 17 years old, broke and living in his VW car outside 7-11, and he joined Jim Rohn's company to start selling Rohn's educational sets. And he sold to every single person he made a sales appointment with, just by applying what he learned from Jim Rohn and others. Even Jim Rohn couldn't believe it, since nobody in the company could sell more than this 17 year old kid. And when he was broke, he set such goals as owning a castle home, big cars, being successful etc, and in 1 year he achieved them all, just by rehearsing and staying committed to his goals every day. And over the years, he achieved amazing redults just by applying the skills, beliefs, and techniques he learned. He proved to me that, if you are committed to your goals, values, and committed to doing the things you MUST do each day to be at your best,- then you can do seemingly amazing things even with simple techniques and beliefs.

This cassette is an additional companion to his book Awaken The Giant Within. Although the publisher produced this tape, which is about 60 - 90 minutes, some of the information and techniques in the book are not included here. But I love this tape as his delivery is very powerful and infectious. Get this tape, I guarantee it will help you, IF you apply them in your life. Don't be like most people who reads good books, and then say it's not good, just because they don't apply what they read. Reading and merely listening won't change your life. Applying it does! The world is filled with educated derelicts- people who know a lot of knowledge, but didn't use what they know.

CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16