5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful book by Mr. Robbins
I have quite a library of books and tapes from people like Napolean Hill to Anthony Robbins. Many years ago, somebody gave me a book on NLP, I have yet to finish it. It was not easy reading.
Published on July 8 2004 by CyberMan

3.0 out of 5 stars Make real Transformation... not this--please.
Published on Oct. 6 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful book by Mr. Robbins, July 8 2004
This review is from: Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial (Paperback)
Conversely, Robbins is as enjoyable to read as he is to listen to. He offers basic NLP techniques (he calls it NAC) and I agree with Tony that the key for long lasting results is to practice these techniques, to condition your mind with neuro associative techniques.
Perhaps the best key is to model other successful people. This can speed your success rate. The goal setting workshop is powerful.
Awaken The Giant is an outstanding book that can help you reach your dreams.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Sept. 4 2012
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I am mystified by some of the mixed reviews here. I must admit I had some scepticism of Mr Robbins based on his infomercials years ago, mainly because he tells what his material can do, but not how it works. In this book though he delivers the goods.

This book contains some profound methods to improve your thinking and improve your life. I am still working through this book, yet already I have successfully used some of the concepts.

For example, there is a chapter about asking yourself the right questions, which can instantly change you into a more positive and empowering state, rather than feel victimized as people often do by adversity.

I used the transformative language technique to resolve a situation where I was angered by the behavior of an associate. Through using the word disenchanted instead of angry to describe how I felt, I immediately lessened the emotional intensity of the situation, and was ultimately able to resolve the situation peacefully.

This book also contains practical and powerful NLP techniques, such as repatterning and swish technique. While it may be true to say that some of Robbins work is derivative of the works of Erickson, Bandler and Grinder I have rarely seen the material presented in such a user friendly way. There truly is magic in these concepts.

If you can imagine leading a better and more effective life the concepts in this book will show you the way.

What I particularly appreciate about this book is how well written it is. It has a really flowing easy to read style. I highly recommend this book, and I have a great deal of respect for the writer after reading it.

I hope you find this review helpful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Make real Transformation... not this--please., Oct. 6 2003
By A Customer
I did all the Tony Robbins stuff for years. The tapes, books-all of it. I was one of the unfortunate ones that got hooked. Instead of just bashing Mr. Robbins, I will write a clear, well detailed review of SOME of the huge flaws in his little money making system so that those major fans who will of course disagree with me, will at least read this and at some point will hopefully "see the light". Unfortunately, in this short review I can't explain things in great detail. Some of you will get what I'm saying though. Please read this carefully and think about what I am saying-scientifically--Please.
-Let's start with the mindset of these books. He promotes a super achiever kind of hyper-doer attitude. I would instead opt for being at peace with myself--HERE & NOW. Learning to BE. Not just be a doer. Does that mean being complacent? NO! It means you can set goals but it has nothing to do with your self-acceptance and daily joy.
-He uses this Pain/Pleasure principal to motivate you. That is a highly flawed system. It is based on causing stress on yourself and motivating you through discomfort. Has anyone stopped to think that one can achieve goals through peace and discipline. It's not motivation through pain/pleasure we need, it's learning to deal with our AVERSION to discomfort that holds many of us back. Facing that with persevearance and wisdom is the only way to deal with that-not gimmicky NAC.
-It is wrong to create MUSTS as he teaches. That causes people to be stressed out and to be attatched and anxious to things. You cannot DEMAND change of yourself. This again is based on the erroneous idea that we're so highly flawed we need to whip ourselves to grow. Not true. Better to learn Positive motivation skills based on learning to enjoy the Process not just the outcome.
-Tony goes in so many different directions in his book you don't know when to use what
-Why does he say that it's important to know that all feelings are good, they are Action Signals-yet he tells you to "break thru" depression,worry and other states. If we are going to accept our feelings how can we also go against them by trying to change them with NAC and physiology etc(that is not acceptance at all that is manipulation and many of you may have figured out by now that you can't battle with your feelings-ACCEPTANCE of them nonjudgmentally brings transformation)
Why, if we are to accept feelings do we need Transformational Vocabulary?? If we supposedly accept them as Action Signals, why tell myelf I'm peeved instead of angry? and will that really work? NO WAY. Of course you'll remain angry. C'MON. That is just silly.
-So much of it is really just a pump up. I admit that that might have it's place to a certain degree. Yes, I'm sure the pump up got some to achieve. That's a good thing, but this Robbins "technology" as a reliable, well developed system? Not quite.
-His system for creating Values is so ridiculously superficial. Just becaue you write down these supposed values and rules, that doesn't mean they will reflect you TRUE feelings. WE ARE NOT THAT SIMPLISTIC!
-Tony Robbins, having "mastered" relationships divorced his wife Becky a few years ago. Again, we are not that simplistic as his system tries to profess.
My intention is to try to help you seekers out there, not to bash Mr Robbins.
People would be better off making more of a "spiritual" discovery that brings them UNCONDITIONAL SELF ACCEPTANCE and Inner Peace. Something that is not based on achievment. You don't need to create this "achieve to win" attitude. Without transforming from the inside out, it's all a band aid solution and YES, you can be HIGHLY productive and just BE without getting into this crazed achiever mindset. Since when is that the purpose of life? Folks, you are all able to achieve great things by getting centered and tuning in to yourself. Trust yourself.
Find that wellspring within! You don't need all this pumped up, gimmicky stuff. A much better book would be The Power of Now. A book about real transformation. Finding inner grace in life moment to moment and yes achieving, but with inner satisfaction all along the way, whatever the outcome!
I hope you've read these points carefully and let them sink in. I hope to save you years of confusion by falling into these superficial techniques. Wishing you the best!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars This book is B.S., Sept. 19 2001
No, I'm not talking about "Belief Systems." Of course I could use "Transformational Vocabulary" and call this book "a little aromatic."

The tone of this book contains a lot of energy and inspiration but the content is another story. It sensationalizes and dramatizes many issues (just count how many exclamation points appear and how many times the word "power" comes up). Do we really have to become "Giants" to be happy?

This book alleges to teach you "How to take immediate control of your mental, emotional, physical, and financial destiny!" I found it disturbing that he includes "fianancial" as a fifth dimension of man. Dr. Stephen Covey, in "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People", more expertly describes man's quality of life depending upon the first four. He instructs us that each dimension "interdependently" affects the other and the key to improving one is to improve the others. For example, exercising (physical) can give us more energy to read(mental). This book explains neither connection nor natural sequence between each of the human dimensions. The 7 Habits depicts them in order: physical, mental, social (or emotional), and spiritual, telling us that each one contains and depends upon the others before it. This book totally neglects the spiritual dimension and seems to have replaced it with this "financial" dimension. While Covey includes "financial" into the "physical" section, Robbins makes it into a fifth dimension, over-emphasizing the importance of money.

While Robbins includes a brief section on analyzing our time spent into "important" and "urgent" categories telling us to spend time on the important, Covey again is more intricate and accurate. He uses a time quadrant, including urgent but not important , urgent and important , neither important nor urgent, and important but not urgent (the most desirable quad to spend time in.)

A section of Robbins' book carries the title, "The Ultimate Challenge: What One Person Can Do." But Covey teaches us that we can achieve far more together than each of us could independently. This he calls "interdependence," something Robbins neglects in this book.
While Robbins' based his book upon techniques that may or may not work depending upon the situation, Covey based his book on principles that never change. Awaken the Giant teaches us outside-in strategies like "Transformational Vocabulary" to change our attitude or behavior. The 7 Habits teaches us inside-out strategies like changing our marriage by first changing ourselves or changing our behaviors by first changing what our behaviors flow from- our perceptions. Robbins based his book on the assumption that you already know what you want (money, sex, power, more money, good looks) Covey bases his book on the idea that we can only be effective climbing the ladder of success if it is leaned against the right wall. While Robbins' book shows us how to use our moods to achieve, Covey's teaches us Proactivity: using the space between stimulus and response to act based upon values, not moods.

Covey wrote another book just on the success stories of the 7 Habits along with further instruction: "Living the Seven Habits". To date, Robbins has published no "Living Awaken the Giant Within" and no wonder.

You may even want to bypass the self-help books altogether and take another route: If you want to make more money, read a Financial Strategy book. If you want to get into better shape, read a Fitness book. If you want to pursue the "Ultimate Solution" to homelessness, the prison system, or gang violence, read a Sociology book. This book displays no expertise on any of these subjects, although it professes to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, Nov. 10 2002
dasn0wman "dasn0wman" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This book is the author's poor attempt to make a fast buck riding from his previous bestseller, "Unlimited Power". If you must find out what this is all about, get "Unlimited Power" instead - very similar bs but better or EVEN better, search for books on NLP. If you want a real self-help book, get "The Power of Your Unconscious Mind".

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good tools and beliefs to improve your life, May 19 2004
By A Customer
This is a very good book with lots of techniques and skills that will change your life, IF you faithfully apply them in your life to make a change. Robbins stands out from most self-improvement educators because he produces massive results by massive action and applying the techniques he learned.
A lot of people I see who don't get any result out of this book are the people who reads it halfway, and didn't do anything else, let alone apply any of the techniques in this book! Another group envies the author's fame and wealth, and uses that as an excuse that the techniques can't change their life.

Yet a group of very successful self-made millionaires I know recommend this book and say that this book is one of their favourite that changed their atiitudes, beliefs, and actions.

If you want to be successful and improve, will following the suggestions and actions of those people who aren't successful make you sucessful? That would be like studying all the broken cars in the junkyard, in order to learn how to build a brand new car that works!

This book includes many skills and 'tools of the mind' that you can use to change your life - such as Empowering Beliefs Sucessful people have, Power of Right Question, Knowing your values, Rules, among others. It is quite a thick book. But If you are really interested and curious about the methods that can change your life (If you apply them after you read them), then you will find this book truly facinating!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good role model and beliefs, May 19 2004
Anthony Robbins is the first person that I modeled that really changed my life for the better. Before him, I have read other books on psychology and self-improvement, but all those just ended up with lots of theories about things, but very little practical application in real life.
Robbins is the person who walks his talk. He takes what he learned and modelled from other masters like Jim Rohn, Robert Shuller, Richard Bandler, Milton Erickson, Robert Cialdini and many others, but he does something different and achieve far greater results than his teachers. The reason is that he takes all the techniques seriously and apply them faithfully to the n-th degree. Few of his very powerful beliefs he lives by that I have used to achieve impossible achievements are "There is ALWAYS a way, If I am committed to find one", "It is in the moments of your decisions that your destiny is shaped", "Manage your emotional states and you master your behaviours".

If you read about his story, he was 17 years old, broke and living in his VW car outside 7-11, and he joined Jim Rohn's company to start selling Rohn's educational sets. And he sold to every single person he made a sales appointment with, just by applying what he learned from Jim Rohn and others. Even Jim Rohn couldn't believe it, since nobody in the company could sell more than this 17 year old kid. And when he was broke, he set such goals as owning a castle home, big cars, being successful etc, and in 1 year he achieved them all, just by rehearsing and staying committed to his goals every day. And over the years, he achieved amazing redults just by applying the skills, beliefs, and techniques he learned. He proved to me that, if you are committed to your goals, values, and committed to doing the things you MUST do each day to be at your best,- then you can do seemingly amazing things even with simple techniques and beliefs.

This cassette is an additional companion to his book Awaken The Giant Within. Although the publisher produced this tape, which is about 60 - 90 minutes, some of the information and techniques in the book are not included here. But I love this tape as his delivery is very powerful and infectious. Get this tape, I guarantee it will help you, IF you apply them in your life. Don't be like most people who reads good books, and then say it's not good, just because they don't apply what they read. Reading and merely listening won't change your life. Applying it does! The world is filled with educated derelicts- people who know a lot of knowledge, but didn't use what they know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing book!!!, April 7 2004
John B (California) - See all my reviews
Ok, I'll admit it, I'm a Tony-ite!! I've bought his books, I own his audio programs and I've been to his UPW seminar. His message is one of empowerment, of raising your standards in your life, of accepting more, of doing more, of becoming more.
Some people may wonder, ok, how specifically has this book helped me? What specifically have I done in my own life:
Change starts by raising your own standards for yourself. I got around empowering and more positive people. I joined the public speaking group Toastmasters and have had a fun time overcoming a fear I once had (at age 23). I got out of the "matrix" of society of accepting a 9-5 job, working for 40 years, etc. To borrow one of Tonys phrases, I'm designing a life instead of just making a living. Doing work that I really enjoy.
I realized how important it is to have focus and have a vision for yourself. Focusing on what's most important in your life. His time management products are excellent.
I learned that I have more control over my own state than I thought I had before reading his books or attending his seminars. That distinction alone can change your life.
Asking yourself quality questions, the power of your beliefs, CANI, these are all incredibly valuable things to learn. And to USE. That's the most important part.
Although I'm a huge fan of his, I don't believe everything he says 100%. The part about relationships, some of his health tips, even some of his financial wisdom. And the NAC and NLP material I never really used. Absolutely, be a critical thinker. Use what works for you.
To Tonys detractors, I just don't understand the negativity. Everyone borrows from everyone; that's not a big revelation, is it? Even Napoleon Hill got his material from somewhere. Steven Speilberg didn't invent story telling either. These aren't new concepts, but if you're being exposed to it for the first time, it doesn't really matter where you get it from. Some of it may seem like common sense, but unfortunately, alot of people never learn or use it. Regardless of his master persuasion and selling skills, I think Tony has done alot of positive things for people. The results he's produced for people speak for themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awaken The Giant is a powerful book, March 3 2004
By A Customer
I first saw Anthony Robbins many years ago on the Joan Rivers show along with Charles Givens. Both were talking about success and hawking their respective books; Awaken The Giant and More Wealth Without Risk.
What impressed me about Awaken The Giant is that it is not just "feel good" stuff that gives a puffy, artificial high. Tony Robbins offers real meaty advice that works and works right away.
NAC or NLP offers fast and permanent change. I had a stuttering problem. After using Tony's methods--gone. Not in months or weeks but right away.
I also had a fear of public speaking. When my manager called upon me to speak to our group, I was petrified initially. But after following Tony's advice, using swish patterns and installing anchors, the fear was gone and everyone complimented me on my performance.
It didn't take weeks, it took one application.
Since then, I have been able to flatten my fears, overcome lifelong phobias e.g. fear of snakes and public speaking. I have made rapid and permanent changes.
Awaken The Giant is a great book. It will unleash the giant sleeping inside of you and h elp you reach whatever goals you can realistically set and go for.
I also recommend More Wealth Without Risk, a book that does for personal finance what Awaken The Giant does for you on a personal development level and also SuperSelf, another great book by Charles Givens that offers personal development strategies different from what is in Tony Robbins book.

5.0 out of 5 stars There except for the power of decisions, go I!!!!, Feb. 15 2004
Ahoy there mate. Just finished cleaning my knife. Went through New York City and had a laddy come up to me with a pocket knife. I saz to him, you call that a knife. I pulled out my knife (which looked like a miniture sword to him) and saz, "Now this is a knife." The laddy ran little a scared little chicken.
I came across several of Tony Robbins Powertalk tapes, I did. Very good programs the lot. Really enjoyed them. Sent some copies back to my friends in Australia. They really enjoyed them too.
In particular was the one about decisions. I really enjoyed that one. Really impressed me. Made me decide to buy more of Tony Robbins books and tapes and improve myself more and more.
So I bought another PowerTalk program on references. Oh yes I did. And as I read this New Yorker's review on Tony Robbins I realized that he didn't have any referneces to substaniate his preponderance bs.
Sort of reminded me of a guy from New York who went into surgery becuase he had gangrene in his left leg and had to have it removed (the whole leg)
When this lad went into surgery the surgeons accidently removed the wrong leg so t hey brought him back in and took the other leg off.
When this poor lad realized what had happened, he contacted a lawyer straight away and heard back in a forthnight. But alas, he was told that he couldn't sue the hospital or the surgeons for what appeared to be outright incompetence.
Why you ask? Because he didn't have a leg to stand on (he-he-he-he)
Seriously, this New Yorker who obviously is not aware that Elvis has been dead since 1977 is one sorry guy. Picture a guy who has to buy all of his Tony Robbins programs used. No wonder he has missed out on the message. The programs are probably so worn down that they sound worst than an old Elvis 45 rpm record made back in early 60's.
Anyway mates, I really enjoy the Tony Robbins book Awaken The Giant and the PowerTalk Tapes. Sure beats sitting around and playing some pc game like Grand Auto Theft or something like that. This lad from New York probably watches Professional Wrestling matches and thinks it is real and unrehearsed too.
I feel sorry for this poor, poor lad. Yes indeed, there except for the grace of God go I but since this poor, poor guy is one of God's children we have to respect him.
I guess, considering this New Yorkers attitude and probable lack of success, he is living proof that God, our creator does indeed have a sense of humor. After all, he created this guy.
There except for the grace of God go I. Thank you God for blessing me. Perhaps you can throw at least one gift to this guy. He obviously is several cans short of a six pack.

CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16