5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing
I am mystified by some of the mixed reviews here. I must admit I had some scepticism of Mr Robbins based on his infomercials years ago, mainly because he tells what his material can do, but not how it works. In this book though he delivers the goods.

Published on Sept. 4 2012 by Inkhorn

3.0 out of 5 stars Make real Transformation... not this--please.
Published on Oct. 6 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Sept. 4 2012
Inkhorn "Innerchi" (Huntingdon Beach) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial (Paperback)

This book contains some profound methods to improve your thinking and improve your life. I am still working through this book, yet already I have successfully used some of the concepts.

For example, there is a chapter about asking yourself the right questions, which can instantly change you into a more positive and empowering state, rather than feel victimized as people often do by adversity.

I used the transformative language technique to resolve a situation where I was angered by the behavior of an associate. Through using the word disenchanted instead of angry to describe how I felt, I immediately lessened the emotional intensity of the situation, and was ultimately able to resolve the situation peacefully.

This book also contains practical and powerful NLP techniques, such as repatterning and swish technique. While it may be true to say that some of Robbins work is derivative of the works of Erickson, Bandler and Grinder I have rarely seen the material presented in such a user friendly way. There truly is magic in these concepts.

If you can imagine leading a better and more effective life the concepts in this book will show you the way.

What I particularly appreciate about this book is how well written it is. It has a really flowing easy to read style. I highly recommend this book, and I have a great deal of respect for the writer after reading it.

I hope you find this review helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful book by Mr. Robbins, July 8 2004
I have quite a library of books and tapes from people like Napolean Hill to Anthony Robbins. Many years ago, somebody gave me a book on NLP, I have yet to finish it. It was not easy reading.
Conversely, Robbins is as enjoyable to read as he is to listen to. He offers basic NLP techniques (he calls it NAC) and I agree with Tony that the key for long lasting results is to practice these techniques, to condition your mind with neuro associative techniques.
Perhaps the best key is to model other successful people. This can speed your success rate. The goal setting workshop is powerful.
Awaken The Giant is an outstanding book that can help you reach your dreams.

3.0 out of 5 stars Make real Transformation... not this--please., Oct. 6 2003
By A Customer
I did all the Tony Robbins stuff for years. The tapes, books-all of it. I was one of the unfortunate ones that got hooked. Instead of just bashing Mr. Robbins, I will write a clear, well detailed review of SOME of the huge flaws in his little money making system so that those major fans who will of course disagree with me, will at least read this and at some point will hopefully "see the light". Unfortunately, in this short review I can't explain things in great detail. Some of you will get what I'm saying though. Please read this carefully and think about what I am saying-scientifically--Please.
-Let's start with the mindset of these books. He promotes a super achiever kind of hyper-doer attitude. I would instead opt for being at peace with myself--HERE & NOW. Learning to BE. Not just be a doer. Does that mean being complacent? NO! It means you can set goals but it has nothing to do with your self-acceptance and daily joy.
-He uses this Pain/Pleasure principal to motivate you. That is a highly flawed system. It is based on causing stress on yourself and motivating you through discomfort. Has anyone stopped to think that one can achieve goals through peace and discipline. It's not motivation through pain/pleasure we need, it's learning to deal with our AVERSION to discomfort that holds many of us back. Facing that with persevearance and wisdom is the only way to deal with that-not gimmicky NAC.
-It is wrong to create MUSTS as he teaches. That causes people to be stressed out and to be attatched and anxious to things. You cannot DEMAND change of yourself. This again is based on the erroneous idea that we're so highly flawed we need to whip ourselves to grow. Not true. Better to learn Positive motivation skills based on learning to enjoy the Process not just the outcome.
-Tony goes in so many different directions in his book you don't know when to use what
-Why does he say that it's important to know that all feelings are good, they are Action Signals-yet he tells you to "break thru" depression,worry and other states. If we are going to accept our feelings how can we also go against them by trying to change them with NAC and physiology etc(that is not acceptance at all that is manipulation and many of you may have figured out by now that you can't battle with your feelings-ACCEPTANCE of them nonjudgmentally brings transformation)
Why, if we are to accept feelings do we need Transformational Vocabulary?? If we supposedly accept them as Action Signals, why tell myelf I'm peeved instead of angry? and will that really work? NO WAY. Of course you'll remain angry. C'MON. That is just silly.
-So much of it is really just a pump up. I admit that that might have it's place to a certain degree. Yes, I'm sure the pump up got some to achieve. That's a good thing, but this Robbins "technology" as a reliable, well developed system? Not quite.
-His system for creating Values is so ridiculously superficial. Just becaue you write down these supposed values and rules, that doesn't mean they will reflect you TRUE feelings. WE ARE NOT THAT SIMPLISTIC!
-Tony Robbins, having "mastered" relationships divorced his wife Becky a few years ago. Again, we are not that simplistic as his system tries to profess.
My intention is to try to help you seekers out there, not to bash Mr Robbins.
People would be better off making more of a "spiritual" discovery that brings them UNCONDITIONAL SELF ACCEPTANCE and Inner Peace. Something that is not based on achievment. You don't need to create this "achieve to win" attitude. Without transforming from the inside out, it's all a band aid solution and YES, you can be HIGHLY productive and just BE without getting into this crazed achiever mindset. Since when is that the purpose of life? Folks, you are all able to achieve great things by getting centered and tuning in to yourself. Trust yourself.
Find that wellspring within! You don't need all this pumped up, gimmicky stuff. A much better book would be The Power of Now. A book about real transformation. Finding inner grace in life moment to moment and yes achieving, but with inner satisfaction all along the way, whatever the outcome!
I hope you've read these points carefully and let them sink in. I hope to save you years of confusion by falling into these superficial techniques. Wishing you the best!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight up, this is such an excellent book!, July 9 2015
Nathan (Edmonton, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is big, but don't let that discourage you.

Also, don't let the negative people who talk down about this man and his work discourage you. Most of those people did not put in the work needed to fulfill the results they truly wanted, so instead they say and wrote bad things about this man's great work.

However, if you are looking for a way and new ideas to improve different areas of your life, I would highly recommend this book along with Tony's other great products.

Know that this isn't an 'End All Be All' book. There is no such thing.

People have this idea that there is only one book, one course, one diet or one program that is going to be the secret to their success.

When looking at all the action steps in this book, they think "How long do I have to do these for?"

I always say, until you find something better!

Let's say you wanted six-pack abs, and so you worked out extremely hard and finally reached your goal...... now that you have them you can go back to sitting on the couch eating potato chips right?

Of course not!

Every hour of every day of every month of every year, you are maintaining those six-pack abs. You stop maintaining them and they're gone!

This book provides you great insights and ideas on overcoming and achieving the things you want in life. He gives you the tools and shows you how to use them, now it's up to you to ACTUALLY use them!

Is Tony a salesman? Of course!

So are you! I would hope.

When you go to a job interview, if you lack in selling the employer on yourself, you're not getting the job! Simple as that.

So if you want the job, you better improve your selling skills.

You want a date with that pretty girl?

You better hope your sales skills are top notch because she's a catch and a half!

Tony is a great salesman and you should look to his great skills to improve your own. Every single day we are selling, whether it be an idea to someone, getting a date, getting a new client, or a new job. It's all sales, so stop looking at sales as being a bad thing.

If someone says to me that Tony is nothing but a "salesman", right away I walk away from that person. I don't engage in unintelligent conversations.

4.0 out of 5 stars hurra, Sept. 12 2003
M. Tetzner (Hamburg Germany) - See all my reviews
Finally I find myself able to write a review on this book myself, after having read reviews here for months. It seems to be, that the main problem people have with Mr. Robbins is, that he is a salesperson, continiously advertising himself in his books, and, like so, evoking the impression or fear in some, that he is some sort of a "soul-catcher". After finishing this book I must agree to parts, however, would also like to comment on how I perceive the quality of his books themselves, which I find excellent. Okay then, he is a salesperson, he calls different ideas of his "technology", "system", "technique", like man is a machine, and so on and so forth, hyping up or at least labeling what otherwise might as well be referred to as simply "positve thinking" (which I agree isnt a nice label) and trying to put some money into is pocket at the same time. I dont know whether or not to agree on the "soul-catcher"-part, after all there are so many salespeople out there and I think if his works werent related to human behaviour/psychology, he would not have to face these accusations. The process of "creating/discovering a problem"/offering a solution is vital in sales, and would not every other doctor, though trusted by most people, do the same thing.
Robbins, for sure, does not offer a cure-all or "immediate" solutions, since he is offering concepts that can be put into action only by the reader - this has been commented on and endlessly elaborated about by many reviewers on this site. The question could, in my opinion, never be: "does it work", like he is prescribing some pill, but "could a person possibly make this work for him/herself?", even in small parts, in other words, is he offering merely fluff, or is the book better than.....no book at all, lets say. I would certainly say yes. However, the book is amazingly thick and rich in content, it takes at least two weeks to read it, maybe 4 or 6 is more like it. So, is he a charlatan because he is a sales-person, or is he a charlatan because his writings are fluff (no quality, only making money)? To answer the first question with "yes" would according to my personal evaluation not yet qualify to make him a charlatan (=every writer/salesperson is a charlatan), and the latter I, personally, would chose to answer with no anyway. I like to acknowledge that I consider him knowledgeable and also that he is a very good writer, regardless of whether or not his "system" deserves to be called "scientific" - or not. What means "scientific" in the field of human behaviour, nothing can be distilled in a glass tube and examined under a microscope thereafter. Speaking of pills, are there cure-alls?
A good writer, which is necessary to be a good coach, he is. Being german myself I appreciate the fact that I can read this highly annecdotional and entertaining book almost as easy as a comic-book. A good read, though definately not for the reader who does not want to deal with "change" and "improvement" in the long run (talking more than those 2-6 weeks). Also I do not suggest that this be the only book you ever read, you must be kind of "commited" (Robbins-slang:) to the whole thing. Robbins has probabl read thousands of books himself and distilled his own ones out of them, no doubt. He is certainly not inventing anything that hasnt been before, however, he has been able to focus his thoughts and accumulated knowledge into an impressive piece of work. His knowledge gives him credibility, for he did not just copy other peoples wisdoms, but he must, just must have spent many hours or years thinking about how to bring his personalized message across. And THAT is what he is all about, that is what coaching is all about. You dont need to invent grapes in order to be a wine-maker.
Hey, he still sometimes makes me laugh, e.g. when in Unlimited Power (though I prefer ATGW) he tells this story about how his brother used to turn green at the thought of eating raw carrots and divulge in the pleasures of Kentucky Fried Chicken instead. So he just made him visualize both of these food-groups, exchanging "submodalities" and in a matter of minutes his brother hated chicken wings and loved carrots. I must admit, I roared (yes, exactly) with laughter. Found that a bit hard to believe.
But this so-called "swish pattern" (NLP-slang) is only one example of how he uses what has been around before, which brings me to think that if you would like to read "The structure of Magic" by Richard Bandler and John Grinder, be prepared to read something excellent about language and therapy, but, in case u are not an expert in any of these fields, also be prepared for something really complex that may, just may drive you nuts. Robbins has read all these BS-books (or certainly not BS.....who knows) and written something light and challening just the same. "For the masses", if you want so. So enjoy (if you, like me, are part of the "masses"), dont feed out of anybodys hand, but stop being all too paranoid about him. Just a sales-guy with something to offer: An entertaining, logical, easy to grasp and at times very inspiring little booklet (500+ pages....)

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, Nov. 10 2002
dasn0wman "dasn0wman" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This book is the author's poor attempt to make a fast buck riding from his previous bestseller, "Unlimited Power". If you must find out what this is all about, get "Unlimited Power" instead - very similar bs but better or EVEN better, search for books on NLP. If you want a real self-help book, get "The Power of Your Unconscious Mind".

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good tools and beliefs to improve your life, May 19 2004
By A Customer
This is a very good book with lots of techniques and skills that will change your life, IF you faithfully apply them in your life to make a change. Robbins stands out from most self-improvement educators because he produces massive results by massive action and applying the techniques he learned.
A lot of people I see who don't get any result out of this book are the people who reads it halfway, and didn't do anything else, let alone apply any of the techniques in this book! Another group envies the author's fame and wealth, and uses that as an excuse that the techniques can't change their life.

Yet a group of very successful self-made millionaires I know recommend this book and say that this book is one of their favourite that changed their atiitudes, beliefs, and actions.

If you want to be successful and improve, will following the suggestions and actions of those people who aren't successful make you sucessful? That would be like studying all the broken cars in the junkyard, in order to learn how to build a brand new car that works!

This book includes many skills and 'tools of the mind' that you can use to change your life - such as Empowering Beliefs Sucessful people have, Power of Right Question, Knowing your values, Rules, among others. It is quite a thick book. But If you are really interested and curious about the methods that can change your life (If you apply them after you read them), then you will find this book truly facinating!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good role model and beliefs, May 19 2004
Anthony Robbins is the first person that I modeled that really changed my life for the better. Before him, I have read other books on psychology and self-improvement, but all those just ended up with lots of theories about things, but very little practical application in real life.
Robbins is the person who walks his talk. He takes what he learned and modelled from other masters like Jim Rohn, Robert Shuller, Richard Bandler, Milton Erickson, Robert Cialdini and many others, but he does something different and achieve far greater results than his teachers. The reason is that he takes all the techniques seriously and apply them faithfully to the n-th degree. Few of his very powerful beliefs he lives by that I have used to achieve impossible achievements are "There is ALWAYS a way, If I am committed to find one", "It is in the moments of your decisions that your destiny is shaped", "Manage your emotional states and you master your behaviours".

If you read about his story, he was 17 years old, broke and living in his VW car outside 7-11, and he joined Jim Rohn's company to start selling Rohn's educational sets. And he sold to every single person he made a sales appointment with, just by applying what he learned from Jim Rohn and others. Even Jim Rohn couldn't believe it, since nobody in the company could sell more than this 17 year old kid. And when he was broke, he set such goals as owning a castle home, big cars, being successful etc, and in 1 year he achieved them all, just by rehearsing and staying committed to his goals every day. And over the years, he achieved amazing redults just by applying the skills, beliefs, and techniques he learned. He proved to me that, if you are committed to your goals, values, and committed to doing the things you MUST do each day to be at your best,- then you can do seemingly amazing things even with simple techniques and beliefs.

This cassette is an additional companion to his book Awaken The Giant Within. Although the publisher produced this tape, which is about 60 - 90 minutes, some of the information and techniques in the book are not included here. But I love this tape as his delivery is very powerful and infectious. Get this tape, I guarantee it will help you, IF you apply them in your life. Don't be like most people who reads good books, and then say it's not good, just because they don't apply what they read. Reading and merely listening won't change your life. Applying it does! The world is filled with educated derelicts- people who know a lot of knowledge, but didn't use what they know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing book!!!, April 7 2004
John B (California) - See all my reviews
Ok, I'll admit it, I'm a Tony-ite!! I've bought his books, I own his audio programs and I've been to his UPW seminar. His message is one of empowerment, of raising your standards in your life, of accepting more, of doing more, of becoming more.
Some people may wonder, ok, how specifically has this book helped me? What specifically have I done in my own life:
Change starts by raising your own standards for yourself. I got around empowering and more positive people. I joined the public speaking group Toastmasters and have had a fun time overcoming a fear I once had (at age 23). I got out of the "matrix" of society of accepting a 9-5 job, working for 40 years, etc. To borrow one of Tonys phrases, I'm designing a life instead of just making a living. Doing work that I really enjoy.
I realized how important it is to have focus and have a vision for yourself. Focusing on what's most important in your life. His time management products are excellent.
I learned that I have more control over my own state than I thought I had before reading his books or attending his seminars. That distinction alone can change your life.
Asking yourself quality questions, the power of your beliefs, CANI, these are all incredibly valuable things to learn. And to USE. That's the most important part.
Although I'm a huge fan of his, I don't believe everything he says 100%. The part about relationships, some of his health tips, even some of his financial wisdom. And the NAC and NLP material I never really used. Absolutely, be a critical thinker. Use what works for you.
To Tonys detractors, I just don't understand the negativity. Everyone borrows from everyone; that's not a big revelation, is it? Even Napoleon Hill got his material from somewhere. Steven Speilberg didn't invent story telling either. These aren't new concepts, but if you're being exposed to it for the first time, it doesn't really matter where you get it from. Some of it may seem like common sense, but unfortunately, alot of people never learn or use it. Regardless of his master persuasion and selling skills, I think Tony has done alot of positive things for people. The results he's produced for people speak for themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awaken The Giant is a powerful book, March 3 2004
By A Customer
I first saw Anthony Robbins many years ago on the Joan Rivers show along with Charles Givens. Both were talking about success and hawking their respective books; Awaken The Giant and More Wealth Without Risk.
What impressed me about Awaken The Giant is that it is not just "feel good" stuff that gives a puffy, artificial high. Tony Robbins offers real meaty advice that works and works right away.
NAC or NLP offers fast and permanent change. I had a stuttering problem. After using Tony's methods--gone. Not in months or weeks but right away.
I also had a fear of public speaking. When my manager called upon me to speak to our group, I was petrified initially. But after following Tony's advice, using swish patterns and installing anchors, the fear was gone and everyone complimented me on my performance.
It didn't take weeks, it took one application.
Since then, I have been able to flatten my fears, overcome lifelong phobias e.g. fear of snakes and public speaking. I have made rapid and permanent changes.
Awaken The Giant is a great book. It will unleash the giant sleeping inside of you and h elp you reach whatever goals you can realistically set and go for.
I also recommend More Wealth Without Risk, a book that does for personal finance what Awaken The Giant does for you on a personal development level and also SuperSelf, another great book by Charles Givens that offers personal development strategies different from what is in Tony Robbins book.

CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.46