Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store NFL Tools

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on October 6, 2003
I did all the Tony Robbins stuff for years. The tapes, books-all of it. I was one of the unfortunate ones that got hooked. Instead of just bashing Mr. Robbins, I will write a clear, well detailed review of SOME of the huge flaws in his little money making system so that those major fans who will of course disagree with me, will at least read this and at some point will hopefully "see the light". Unfortunately, in this short review I can't explain things in great detail. Some of you will get what I'm saying though. Please read this carefully and think about what I am saying-scientifically--Please.
-Let's start with the mindset of these books. He promotes a super achiever kind of hyper-doer attitude. I would instead opt for being at peace with myself--HERE & NOW. Learning to BE. Not just be a doer. Does that mean being complacent? NO! It means you can set goals but it has nothing to do with your self-acceptance and daily joy.
-He uses this Pain/Pleasure principal to motivate you. That is a highly flawed system. It is based on causing stress on yourself and motivating you through discomfort. Has anyone stopped to think that one can achieve goals through peace and discipline. It's not motivation through pain/pleasure we need, it's learning to deal with our AVERSION to discomfort that holds many of us back. Facing that with persevearance and wisdom is the only way to deal with that-not gimmicky NAC.
-It is wrong to create MUSTS as he teaches. That causes people to be stressed out and to be attatched and anxious to things. You cannot DEMAND change of yourself. This again is based on the erroneous idea that we're so highly flawed we need to whip ourselves to grow. Not true. Better to learn Positive motivation skills based on learning to enjoy the Process not just the outcome.
-Tony goes in so many different directions in his book you don't know when to use what
-Why does he say that it's important to know that all feelings are good, they are Action Signals-yet he tells you to "break thru" depression,worry and other states. If we are going to accept our feelings how can we also go against them by trying to change them with NAC and physiology etc(that is not acceptance at all that is manipulation and many of you may have figured out by now that you can't battle with your feelings-ACCEPTANCE of them nonjudgmentally brings transformation)
-So much of it is really just a pump up. I admit that that might have it's place to a certain degree. Yes, I'm sure the pump up got some to achieve. That's a good thing, but this Robbins "technology" as a reliable, well developed system? Not quite.
-His system for creating Values is so ridiculously superficial. Just becaue you write down these supposed values and rules, that doesn't mean they will reflect you TRUE feelings. WE ARE NOT THAT SIMPLISTIC!
-Tony Robbins, having "mastered" relationships divorced his wife Becky a few years ago. Again, we are not that simplistic as his system tries to profess.
My intention is to try to help you seekers out there, not to bash Mr Robbins.
People would be better off making more of a "spiritual" discovery that brings them UNCONDITIONAL SELF ACCEPTANCE and Inner Peace. Something that is not based on achievment. You don't need to create this "achieve to win" attitude. Without transforming from the inside out, it's all a band aid solution and YES, you can be HIGHLY productive and just BE without getting into this crazed achiever mindset. Since when is that the purpose of life? Folks, you are all able to achieve great things by getting centered and tuning in to yourself. Trust yourself.
Find that wellspring within! You don't need all this pumped up, gimmicky stuff. A much better book would be The Power of Now. A book about real transformation. Finding inner grace in life moment to moment and yes achieving, but with inner satisfaction all along the way, whatever the outcome!
I hope you've read these points carefully and let them sink in. I hope to save you years of confusion by falling into these superficial techniques. Wishing you the best!!!
on February 3, 2004
Here is a book that is predicated on a somewhat Aristotelian concept of the Potential Self. Robbins posits that there is a Potential Self for each of us that is far greater than our presently experienced Actual Self.
What he doesn't say, nor does he appear inclined to say, is that this could be true, however the Potential-Actual Self gap varies dramatically from person to person.
This poses difficulties for those who are feeling around for the outlines of their true Potential Selves from the relative smallness of their Actual Selves.
Robbins' suggestions in this book will probably be most effective for those who have a firm, realistic grasp on who they actually are, what their limitations consist of, and what the opportunity costs of transcending said limitations will likely be.
Try as most of us might, and believe with all our hearts, it is most doubtful that we will morph into a Richard Branson, a Mohammed Ali, a Barry Diller, a Sean John Combs, a Bill Clinton,
a Bono, or a Brittney Spears.... nor, once we fully understood the costs that these luminaries had to pay for their greatness, would we necessarily want to.
The question hinges then on how well we do know ourselves, and perhaps more challenging to our self fantasies, how willing we would be to see ourselves as others see us, to have a significantly objective evaluation of our strengths and weaknesses put before us in an undeniable way?? Such is the hard path that a minority is inclined to follow.
For whatever it is worth, the genetic lottery is still the number one game in town. Some of us will have more grace, some will be beautiful, some mediocre, some seriously flawed. Life will be easier for one person than it is for another.
Those who have first come to terms with those limits may be in the best position to transcend them as they may make the best evaluation of how much effort, how much time, how great a portion of their mental life will be consumed in the quest.
What percentage of the readers of Awaken The Giant have contacted a first rate testing service and had psychological and aptitude profiles run on them, spoken with a qualified psychologist or counsellor about their strengths and weaknesses,
compared their temperaments to their goals to see if they are suitably matched ? 1% maybe ? .1% more likely....
All that said, if you have done the prerequisite groundwork, you have a realistic assessment of who you are and how great the Potential-Actual Self gap is in your specific case, you could possibly derive great value from this book by Mr.Anthony Robbins.
Tony might come back and say that this personal realism is nothing more than a self limiting belief that you must get out of your head at once if you are to awaken the giant within. I would say in reply that Tony couldn't be more wrong. One of the most liberating pieces of self knowledge one can have is to know one's natural limits and do one's best being what one can be, instead of burning endless hours, hopes, and dollars trying to be what one cannot possibly be. As samuel Johnson said, no man is so ridiculous as when he attempts to be what he cannot possibly be.
Of course, there is always the other side of the argument. One could also be saddled with falsely limiting beliefs as to who one is, how far one might go, what the world has to offer, how one can maximize ones gifts and minimize one's weaknesses.
To add to the frustration, but hey, this is life we're talking about, many of us overestimate ouselves in some areas and underestimate ourselves in others. Massive egotists are stuck with a heavy dose of overestimation, depressives with a massive dose of underestimation. For the majority of us, we're like wheels that are out of balance, a little too much here, not quite enough there.
I would definitely consider Tony's thoughts, techniques, and so on, useful steps in direct proportion to one's self knowledge. With the lack of self knowledge, they may lead to a state of dissatisfaction. Why isn't this working for me ???
If it is working for you, congratualtions, you've done your homework and you can put the tools to good use. If it isn't working for you, move back a step, get to know yourself and where your head is at for real, then try again.
on January 19, 2004
Funny thing about all of these motivational speakers... they're all rich. And that's one of things that makes us buy their stuff. Though they preach motivation and personal growth, the unsaid implication is that if we follow their lessons, we'll be rich, too.
Tony is no exception; he talks on this tape about how one year he was living in a tiny bachelor apartment, and a few years later he was living in a castle and flying his jet helicopter to his seminars.
But what none of these people ever talk about--including Tony--is HOW they got so wealthy. That would be a problem, since they tend to downplay the importance of money, all the while being paid millions of dollars to do so.
My hunch is that Tony makes his money by having people come to his seminars and buy his stuff. It's the same with financial guru Suze Orman--she hasn't made her money through smart investing; she's made it by writing books and doing a TV show telling us how to invest.
One of the secrets of making money is to find a niche and fill it; if you can't find one, then you invent one and convince people they need it. Arnold Schwarzenegger did this back in the 80's; he convinced people they were out of shape and came up with the whole "I'm going to pump you up" campaign. Tony, Peter Lowe, Zig Ziglar and others have done this with our minds: convinced us that we need to get control of our lives, and to let them tell us how to do it.
That's not to say Tony's stuff is a scam; if you're feeling out of sorts with the world, this tape is indeed a valuable help in focusing on how to get back with it. But for people who have a normal level of intelligence and presence of mind, it may be somewhat unsatisfying.
One thing I've learned is that sometimes the best advice someone can give you is to stop asking for advice! I think a fair number of Personal Power converts probably spend too much time and money going to seminars and studying Tony's stuff, and not enough time simply living their lives and making their own decisions. This tape is not going to tell you how to earn enough money to buy a helicopter or live in a castle. It is not going to tell you how to end up with a beautiful spouse and kids. It will tell you to follow your dream, and offers a few basic guidelines on how to do that. But you have to do the work.
N.B. The tape ends by telling us that by following Tony's advice, you'll attract the "appropriate coaches and role models." Sounds like a plug for Tony's personal coaching services. In other words, even after you've awakened your inner giant, you'll still need help! (Hint: you still need to buy more stuff!)
on September 4, 2003
There are some good guiding principles here. Like: Tony's empahsis on Goal Setting, The importance of your FOCUS, learning how to use your mind in more empowering ways and realizing that we're more powerful than we think we are.
My only problem is that there are some gimmicky aspects to Tony's products. Even though I do agree that a lot of his principles work a bit of a gimmicky idea of 'fast food change' that can mislead people. Here are a few things in Tony's sytem I would look out for
-He uses this Pain/Pleasure principal to motivate you. That is a flawed system when you use pain for motivation. It is based on causing stress on yourself and motivating you through discomfort. Has anyone stopped to think that one can achieve goals through peace and discipline. It's not motivation through pain we need, it's learning to deal with our AVERSION to discomfort that holds many of us back and how to keep the Positive focus at those times.-not gimmicky NAC.

-It is wrong to create MUSTS as he teaches. That causes people to be stressed out and to be attached and anxious to things. You cannot DEMAND change of yourself. This again is based on the erroneous idea that we're so highly flawed we need to whip ourselves to grow. Not true. Better to learn Positive motivation skills based on learning to FOCUS on our DESIRES <BR
-Tony goes in so many different directions in his book you sometimes don't know when to use what

-Why does he say that it's important to know that all feelings are good, they are Action Signals-yet he tells you to "break thru" depression,worry and other states. If we are going to accept our feelings how can we also go against them by trying to change them with NAC and physiology etc(that is not acceptance at all that is manipulation and many of you may have figured out by now that you can't battle with your feelings-ACCEPTANCE of them nonjudgmentally 1st brings transformation)-Why, if we are to accept feelings do we need Transformational Vocabulary?? If we supposedly accept them as Action Signals, why tell myelf I'm peeved instead of angry? and will that really work? NO WAY. Of course you'll remain angry. C'MON. That is just silly.

-A lot of it is a pump up. I admit that that might have it's place to a certain degree. Yes, I'm sure the pump up got some to achieve. That's a good thing, but this Robbins "technology" as a reliable, well developed system?

-His system for creating Values is a bit superficial. Just becaue you write down these supposed values and rules, that doesn't mean they will reflect you TRUE feelings.

My intention is to try to help you seekers out there, not to bash Mr Robbins.
I find that more spiritually based systems work better than non spiritual. You might like Wayne Dyer's There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem and some other Dyer books.
Also, don't forget: UNCONDITIONAL SELF ACCEPTANCE and Inner Peace. Something that is not based on achievment. You don't need to create a "achieve to win" attitude. Without transforming from the inside out, it's all a band aid solution and YES, you can be HIGHLY productive and just BE without getting into this crazed achiever mindset.
Trust yourself. Find that wellspring within!
I hope you've read these points carefully and let them sink in. I hope to save you years of confusion by falling into some pitfalls. Wishing you the best!!!!!
on January 19, 2003
After reading "Unlimited Power", I was eagerly expecting this book. It wasn't what I expected. I originally read this book 2 years ago. Since then, I've read it 2 more times. The book is dated with references to OJ, Micheal Jackson, to name a few. Each have fell off the deep end. (OJ trial, Jackson's behavior) The book is also overwritten in my opinion. He's constantly asking questions every other sentence. (I got the feeling I was being cross-examined.) The author uses a conversional language as if the book was being dictated on a recorder for later type up. This at times leads to rambling about everything from his family members, friends, the play Les Misérables, his trip to Figi, his company, Mr.Smith, his visit to a morgue. It reminds me of being stuck on the phone with a friend for 3 hours straight listening to every bit of gossip and trivia. The last reason I give it 3 stars - he starts being too preachy around page 300 on; from taking up causes to eating less beef. On the plus side, there are some useful bits - from identifying the values that are important to you to making the right decisions and breaking habits. At 511 pages, the book is more like a handbook than a book that should be read outright. The finacial part of the book came near the end of the book and covers only one chapter with 5 keys to wealth. One key I disagree with partly as being outdated. Creating wealth by being more valuable to your company for example doing 3 times more work or adding value to your work is ok if you're self-employed, but as an employee I found that for you to become more wealthy you need to have fair mind employers to recognize your creative efforts and give you those raises to increase your income. I've found many employers simply pocketing the savings their employees come up with and not even acknowledge their efforts to avoid giving raises. This is mainly true in low end jobs like fast foods. Down-sizing has made this key advise mandatory just to KEEP your job. The author needs to update this book and reduce the number of stories and personal accounts in the next edition. To start out, I would recommend "Unlimited Power" instead and only "Awaken the Giant" as a supplement reference manual to "Unlimitd Power".
on November 18, 2002
Tony Robbins starts off in his over-the-top style by getting you excited about a variety of self-improvement techniques. I give him credit for at least providing actual exercises instead of just a lot of woo-woo philosophy like most self-help books. However, although many of these are great techniques in theory, some would take a long time to master - definitely no "quick fix" here. I bought the PP2 tapes and did them all, but some days the exercises were just not successful. Looking back now, I can't say that I accomplished many of the goals I set. Maybe if I had had thousands to spend working with a "life coach" one-on-one to train me, I would have had better results.
If you're new to positive thinking, etc., you might get great insights from this book. If you've heard it all before, you'll probably hear a few things that may be new and perhaps helpful.
And yes, you'll either love him or hate him. Fascinating how most reviewers either want to worship at his feet or assassinate him -not many in between. I guess when anyone makes that much money, he's expected to be perfect, and a lot of people get REALLY resentful when he's not.
Point of interest - in the early days, he paid out big money to prevent a number of lawsuits when his staff accidentally got the wrong kind of wood for a "firewalk" seminar. About 40 people ended up in the hospital with burns. (Yes, the event is a partial trick - do some research if you're interested).
Lots of hype, but a few great ideas.
on May 20, 1998
I enjoyed this and Tony Robbins firt book UNLIMITED POWER! The problem, is that NAC (actually NLP, ROBBINS, changed the name) offers a limited time change. You feel good, but the changes don't last and this to me is misleading, as Robbins makes it sound like the changes will be permanent. You can't just "anchor yourself" or "swish" into a new per- sonality. A large portion of the book is just advertising for his "Date with Destiny" and other seminars. It's easier reading than the other NLP books out there by ... BANDLER & GRINDER, ANDREAS, ETC. and can be somewhat useful which is why I gave it a 5. For anyone who wants even more rapid change that will last, I recommend BRIAN TRACY's BOOK ---MAXIMUM ACHIEVEMENT and any of TRACY'S audio tape programs. I also highly suggest "THE SILVA METHOD" by Jose Silva or any good boo on alpha programming. Also, "SUPERSELF' by Charles Givens is outstanding and probably the most under rated self development book out there.
on May 22, 1998
Robbins is a powerful and dynamic speaker! His rags-riches story is inspiring and somewhat of a indicat- ion of his methods. However, Tony makes it sound like anybody can do what he did and this is very misleading--ROBBINS had the qualities and was a very successful businessman before he began hawking NAC (actually NLP) you can't just "anhor", "swish" or "scramble" or use just NAC/NLP Techniques, they are a start only, not a end in and of themselves. I have found a far more powerful form of programming called alpha programming which I use in combination with NAC/NLP --- the results are quicker and lasting!!!! For more information check out JOSE SILVA's book "THE SILVA METHOD" or BRIAN TRACY'S "MAXIMUM ACHIEVEMENT" Also, "SUPERSELF" by Charles Givens is a "must read" for anyone looking to achieve maximum effectiveness and is probably the most under rated self help book out there.
on June 10, 1998
Anthoy Robbins has written a very good book on how to create change rapidly with NAC. It's better than pure positive thinking. I think a lot of the "fat" could have been taken out and the repeated information from Unlimited Power could have been left out. My only major gripe is Robbins constant self promotion and advertising his "Date with Destiny" and other seminars. He also makes it sound like he invented NAC (actually NLP-Neurolinguilstic Programmng) and that his NAC is somehow better and different than NLP. Overall, I think it's a good book, especially for people unfamiliar with NLP and unlike other NLP books is easy to read. I also highy recommend "7 Strategies for Wealth & Happiness" and "The Art of Exceptional Living" by Jim Rohn. "NLP-The New Science of Personal Achievement" by NLP Comphrehensive is one of the best pure NLP books & NO FAT OR HYPE!
on September 12, 1998
A couple years ago, I was fortunate to be among some sales reps who were sent to a one-day Tony Robbins seminar! ONE DAY with this man is to be buoyed up for DAYS! I can only imagine what an entire workshop with him would be like! You leave pumped up and full of ideas and enthusiasm. I'm not fond of Robbins' books ONLY because you REALLY have to experience him first hand. I don't know that I would have spent the money on a seminar, books or tapes had I not had the first one paid for by my company. I must say though, NOW I would save up to attend one of his weekends or seminars! The books are simply "texts," you get out what you put in! Robbins' is a magician! If you get a chance to experience this phenomenon....GO!