5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner by Covey---Great addition to 7 Habits
In this great book by Stephen Covey, we learn Covey's philosophy for creating more meaningful relationships and successes in the workplace. something we should be striving to implement throughout business and industry.
Published on June 14 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Principle-Centered Leadership Falls Well Short of Claims
For the most part American businesses have traditionally ignored the fact that their workplaces are small societies where employees have many of the same social and political concerns and needs as in the broader society. Renowned management guru, Stephen Covey, offers a "principle-centered leadership" (PCL) paradigm for businesses that supposedly rests on time-tested...
Published on Feb. 1 2003 by J. Grattan

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner by Covey---Great addition to 7 Habits, June 14 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Principle Centered Leadership (Paperback)
Coveys shows us how to implement these techniques in the home and elsewhere and the result is we will be rewarded with happiness and a fulfilling future.
Prior to reading Principle Centered Leadership, I didn't think it was possible to successfully balance my personal, family and professional life.
Principle Centered Leadership is a great addition to Coveys classic 7 Habits of Highly Successful People.

5.0 out of 5 stars Building a team with a solid core, May 20 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Principle Centered Leadership (Paperback)
Steven Covey provides the reader a solid roadmap for successful leadership. When leaders with character work with others, they obtain loyalty and inspire the best results. Excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 Habits 14 Points, Feb. 3 2004
Joseph J. Slevin (Carlsbad, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Principle Centered Leadership (Paperback)
This book brings the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People together with Demings 14 Points. If organizations were to use this methodology, they too would be effective. I recommend this book because it had a profound effect on an organization I was working for.
Can we lead better individual lives and have our corporations apply principles that will take those individuals to higher levels of accomplishment? America applies these principles in most of the best companies, these are enduring principles.
This is a book to read for leaders and teachers in business.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for serious business professionals, Nov. 17 2003
This review is from: Principle Centered Leadership (Paperback)
If you are serious about succeeding in the hectic business world, regardless of industry, then this book is a must-have for your personal library.
The principles in this book (along with other works by Dr.Covey) has had such a profound influence on my own career as a motivational speaker and author.
Besides influencing me in a professional capacity, Stephen Covey also assisted with my own transition to self-acceptance and a positive outlook on a better tomorrow. Go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Oct. 16 2003
DAVID-LEONARD WILLIS (Thessaloniki Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Principle Centered Leadership (Paperback)
I have concluded that the root cause of all the ills of the world is that humans do not live their lives according to the Golden Rule of doing unto others as you would have others do unto you. The Golden Rule is the common thread of all religions and can therefore be considered the unifying principle for every human on earth. It is probably the one concept that everyone can buy into but also one goal that everyone would admit they could and should do better. For myself I know that if I truly lived the Golden Rule I would feel much more pain at the unacceptable gap between the rich and the poor because as one of the rich I would see myself or my loved ones as one of the starving and would want to do something about it. The fact that I don't do anything about it - or not enough - means that I am just a wimp. Just a lot of hot air. I say one thing but do another. My failure, multiplied six billion times is what has turned this paradise we inherited into the crisis-ridden planet we live on today. It was a strange and wonderful discovery, therefore, that this book has been written to help me - and you should you be so inclined - to come closer to living the Golden Rule through what the author refers to as Principle-Centered Leadership.
A second conclusion is that we need more of the Mother Teresa style of leadership. She spoke very little, rolled up her sleeves and just waded into the slums of the poorest of the poor, while my leadership style has been to keep at a safe distance and say "Hey, someone should do something about this." The big difference between Mother Teresa and me is that she lived the Golden Rule while I just mouth it. Principle-Centered Leadership is the book I was seeking to help me change from a talker to a doer.
Principle-Centered Leadership will help us resolve dilemmas that cannot be resolved using conventional approaches. Our social conditioning leads us to quick-fix solutions such as cramming; we may get away with it for an exam or two but such an approach would be disastrous on a farm where natural laws operate. There are no quick-fix solutions for a marriage breakdown or for a teenager in crisis where only principle-centered solutions work. Manipulative strategies might work for a while but will eventually result in a loss of trust. We usually think in terms of learning new skills rather than showing more integrity to basic principles. Principle-Centered Leadership introduces a new paradigm - that we center our lives and our leadership of organizations and people on inviolate principles very much like gravity is an inviolate law of nature. These principles constitute the roots of every civilized society, family or institution that has endured and prospered. Changing habits, developing virtues, keeping promises and living in harmony with principles of fairness, equity, justice, integrity, honesty, and trust is what this book is all about. Subordinating oneself to higher purposes and principles is the essence of highest humanity and the foundation of effective leadership. Adherence to these principles uplift, ennoble, fulfill, empower and inspire. Covey believes that violations of these principles cause societal decline. Principle-Centered Leadership is based on the reality that natural laws cannot be violated with impunity.
We tend to live our lives in compartments, each with its own value system and expectations. We wear our Sunday hat but take it off the other six days of the week. Centering life on correct principles is the key to developing the internal power we require to realize many of our dreams because we are more balanced, unified, organized, and rooted. Principle-Centered Leadership and living cultivates four sources of strength - security, guidance, wisdom and power, giving a foundation to all relationships and decisions and a sense of stewardship over time, talents, money, relationships, family and ourselves. Because we feel secure we are not threatened by change and criticism. Because we are guided we discover our mission and can write the script for our lives. Because we have wisdom we learn from mistakes and seek continuous improvement. Because we have power we can communicate and cooperate even under stress and fatigue.
People on the low end of the guidance continuum lead selfish, sensual or social lifestyles while those at the high end have lives centered on true principles from inspired and inspiring sources. People at the low end of the security continuum show extreme insecurity while those at the high end have a high sense of worth, self-esteem and personal strength. People at the low end of the wisdom continuum base their thinking on distorted, discordant principles while those at the high end show good judgement, discernment and comprehension. People at the low end of the power continuum appear powerless, insecure, and react to circumstances while those at the high end are proactive, make things happen, and take responsibility for their feelings, thoughts and actions.
It is difficult to imagine who would not profit from this book because Principle-Centered Leadership affects all aspects of our life and brings back harmony to the different compartments in which we live. If your marriage needs attention this book will help. If you want to improve your business performance, you will learn some useful lessons. If you want to be a better employee this book will give you plenty of ideas. If you just want to become a better person, there is no better place to start than absorbing the lessons in Principle-Centered Leadership.
dwillis@afs.edu.gr

5.0 out of 5 stars "Covey is the all time leadership mentor", Oct. 3 2003
David G. Stokes (St. George, Utah, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Principle Centered Leadership (Paperback)
This isn't a book you can read through once and understand thoroughly. Coveys writing style is superb, his understanding of human nature is uncanny.
He starts by forming a simile: the art of leadership is like farming. It requires daily vigilance: planting, watering, weeding, fertilizing, and harvesting--in that order. If a farmer owns a cow, he doesn't just milk it when he feels like it. It is a job which needs to be done twice daily, every day. Managing (Leading) a business is exactly the same, at least if you want it to be done correctly. Many managers/leaders feel that it's okay to run a business on auto-pilot. This may be a fatal error.
Covey uses the same 7 Steps as he uses in the same-titled book. He also compares his 7 Step leadership methods with those of the great W. Edwards Deming. Throughout this book the author guides the leader/person to lead by example. To allow those he leads to be self-leaders, and to feel that they are of great importance to the company.
One of the major aims of Covey is to make a Mission Statement. This, he believes, should be done by all members of a company/corporation/family, etc.. He also stresses the age old Confucious saying, "Feed a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
I have a great deal of respect for this man, and truly believe he walks his talk. As I read this book, many of the concepts pertained to situations in my life which I was dealing with at that very time (a little haunting, perhaps inspired?). I highly recommend this book, as well as any other by this great human being and author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes-Talk.com Reviews Covey, Sept. 27 2003
An outstanding masterpiece. At a time when almost all of us are struggling with catch 22 style dilemmas, Dr. Covey shows us true north. I came away from this book with a clear sense that very few of my dilemmas really were dilemmas at all.
Dr Covey delivers his message so effectively that I would suggest that anyone with an interest in leadership would find themselves thinking and acting differently after reading this book. Reading this book will not simply give you new ideas, it will cause you to experience a "paradigm shift" in the way you look at people, problems and leadership.
I "read" this book in audio format and had to stop the tape regularly as I filled my journal with pages of powerful tools and new distinctions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, Sept. 6 2003
Dr. W. G. Covington, Jr. (Edinboro, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Principle Centered Leadership (Paperback)
Covey's books always leave a positive impression on his readers because they inspire in a practical way that can result in immediate changes. Since everyone is a leader in some regard the audience for this excellent book is widespread. Principles do not discriminate. They work in all circumstances and cultures. Covey helps his readers discover ageless principles and makes their application a logical followup. The analogy of courageous explorers is given for people going into uncharted territories. That's everyone. Each of us face things unique to our lives. Covey encourages people to view these factors positively. Flexibility is essential to living the abundant life he explains. This book is full of insight that helps keep a person focused on living in a maximum way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great concept but read The 7 Habits First, Sept. 2 2003
This review is from: Principle Centered Leadership (Paperback)
This book promotes "Principles" as our most effective resource in leadership. This is an excellent book but read "The Seven Habits" by the same author first. "The 7 Habits" gives you the foundation to put this book to best use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading, Aug. 27 2003
Dr. W. G. Covington, Jr. (Edinboro, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Principle Centered Leadership (Paperback)
A common theme among Dr. Covey's works is that he inspires people in practical ways of living a quality life. Near the end of the book he writes "I want to be thoroughly used up when I die." This book embraces that ultimate bottom line by providing a perspective on how to conduct oneself in daily tasks. On page 19 he points out "Principles are self-evident, self-validating natural laws. They don't change or shift." The principles are identified, discussed and placed into context. Leaders who live with an awareness of success principles are compared to adventurer-explorers in that they are not sure exactly where they may be going, but are confident in the process. While they cling to principles, they remain flexible in leading the abundant life. Covey revisits his famous seven habits and places them in a leadership context. On interpersonal relationships he advises to forgive. "As we bless them even when they are cursing or judging us--we build primary greatness into our personality and character" he notes on page 65.
This is a book that will enhance the quality of life of a person who applies its lessons.

Principle Centered Leadership
Principle Centered Leadership by Stephen R. Covey (Paperback - Oct. 1 1992)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71