4.0 out of 5 stars Ominous words
The words in the title "You Belong to Me" are words a woman may want to hear from the man she loves, but when they come from a violent psychopath, watch out.
Published on Nov. 9 2000 by Dennis Littrell

3.0 out of 5 stars competent yet formulaic Ann Rule material..
Published on Aug. 22 2003 by lazza

3.0 out of 5 stars competent yet formulaic Ann Rule material.., Aug. 22 2003
lazza (Fort Lauderdale, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases (Mass Market Paperback)
'You Belong To Me ..." is book #2 of a long series of true crime stories where one story is headlined and several short stories are stuffed in towards the end. Overall these books do not have the depth nor the keen analysis work Ann Rule can produce, as she has done with some of her wonderful books ('Stranger Beside Me', 'If You Really Loved Me'). 'You Belong To Me...' is definitely a middle of pack offering.
In the book the headline crime story is about a no good husband and cop who slowly 'loses it'. Of course the end result is a brutal murder, no surprise here. I had a personal interest in the story having lived in the region of central Florida where the crime was commited. I fear others without such a personal connection might find all this to be very made-for-TV material. Yet certainly those women who feel they are married to overbearing, horrible men might find this material rather interesting (..in a positive way).
Bottom line: I suppose this is disposable Ann Rule material yet it did hold my interest. Passable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ominous words, Nov. 9 2000
Dennis Littrell (SoCal/NorCal/Maui) - See all my reviews
True crime is one of my favorite genres, and Ann Rule is one of its outstanding practitioners. I love the genre because nobody could make up this stuff. Truth, at least in human affairs, really is stranger than fiction. I seldom find "mysteries" or crime novels as interesting as a true tale, however incompletely expressed, because I usually sense the contrivances in the work of the novelist. But in the best true crime, there is always a sense of coming face to face with the sordid realities of human nature, regardless of how banal and stupid, and from such an experience there comes the sense of knowing a little more about humanity.
Here we have a Florida state trooper who likes to stop the girlies on the freeway and show them his shiny belt buckle and his well tailored uniform. Problem is he actually hates women and only gets off when he does them violence. His long-suffering wife finally, finally after many beatings and some really scary weird stuff, tells him to get out. He can't cope with that because although he hates women, he needs their approval. I wonder: did mommie love him best or not at all? He hates himself for desiring women, but he needs their love to feel confident. So he stalks his wife in the most pathetic and all-consuming way, sneaking into the house late at night and sleeping in the attic, bugging her phone, etc. Meanwhile he loves to play macho cop on the freeway. One day he pulls over a blond woman who reminds him of his wife and does a psycho-sexual sickie murder on her, calling her by his wife's name as he rapes and kills her.
Rule, whose weakness is a need to wear her support for the law enforcement community on her sleeve, feels a little compromised in this one. She is at pains to assure us that this psycho cop is one rare law enforcement anomaly, and that she sure hates to write this one since it makes all cops look bad, but she has to. She has to because she needs to be of service to her readership, and there is indeed a cautionary tale here we all might recognize. Simply put, never let push come to shove, especially if it's your supposedly loving spouse that's doing the pushing. Get out immediately because it will only get worse. Unfortunately, in this case the long-suffering wife only really gets the message to get away from the sickie when she finds out he is CHEATING on her. I mean, let's react to what's important! The beatings were bad, of course, and the total control wasn't good, but the final straw was THE OTHER WOMAN!
It could be said that if you desire and conceive a psychopath's children, you might, just might, be contributing to the continuance of psychopaths. The poor kids are always so innocent, and nobody, especially not moi, would suggest that we punish the sons for the sins of the fathers, having committed a few sins myself; but ladies, get a clue: if his macho ways turn you on so, maybe you should share some blame. I know it's boring, but try a nerd once in a while. Or at least try a little family planning. Rule keeps saying (here and in some of her other books) "but she loved him," or "she was in love." But any self-indulgence has its limit. If we can excuse her because she was in love, maybe we ought to excuse him because he also couldn't help himself. Personally, I...don't...think...so.
Incidentally, according to the point of view of evolutionary psychology, we create the opposite sex through our sexual choices, just as surely as the practices of agriculture have created the cows and the grains that have been sexually chosen for thousands of years.
Bottom line: this is not only one of Ann Rule's best, it is also one that lingers in the mind because of the vivid portrait she paints of a violent sexual control freak.

1.0 out of 5 stars Run. Run Away., July 26 2003
M. Sullivan (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
While I try never to judge anyone too harshly, I'm afraid that this is one of those rare occassions where I simply must speak out in the hope that I may save just one person the terrible ordeal of reading this book.
Of course, I shouldn't presume that others won't like it. If you prefer dragging descriptions and uninspired factual regurgitation, then this book is for you. I know I didn't appreciate the plodding pace of this book, where each digression into the complicated breakfasts enjoyed by the victims was actually painful.
You really wonder how long it took to write this book because there doesn't seem to be much art in this work. While I applaude her diligence in trying to capture every detail, it proves to be too much. This story would do well in a multi-case book, or perhaps another author would do it justice. Run. Run Away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating -- Ann Rule captures the criminal mind, Aug. 21 1998
By A Customer
Ann Rule has the capability of not only producing thrilling page turners BUT she gives her audience a make up of the criminal reasoning. In You Belong To Me Tim Harris appeared to be the all American hero. Yet one wonders WHAT drove (and drives??!) this man to his sick, fearful behavior. Shortly after reading the story I was pulled over by a local township police officer for an expired inspection sticker. I was FRIGHTENED ! Memories of what I read of TIm Harris fogged my mind. Makes you wonder. 5 stars to Ann.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ann rules!, Sept. 26 2002
By A Customer
Another great Ann Rule book. While not my favorite of her books, this out does many of the other true crime books I have read. I like that Ms Rule not only gives the facts, but really tells it in a story. If you have not read Small Sacrifices, I recommend that one, it is my favorite Ann Rule title for its sheer unbelievabity (also, Lifetime TV made it into a decent made-for-cable movie).

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Ann Rule Book...., July 23 1999
By A Customer
next to the Stranger Beside Me. A thrilling and bizarre ride through the demise of a truly sick highway patrol officer. The story of Tim Harris is so compelling precisely because he seems to be the last person you would expect to commit this type of crime.
My only rant is that there is precious little delving into exactly what caused the man to turn so bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting!, Nov. 1 1999
By A Customer
As a new resident of Indian River county, I was shocked to learn that this crime occurred in its more recent history. The step-by-step police work saved me from any real trepidation about living in this area now. Only Ann Rule could have fully and truthfully documented the story with all its nuances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ann Never Disappoints, Oct. 3 2013
I always enjoy her books. I find they are always a page turner and very descriptive. I hope to read many more from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars RAVE REVIEWS, Aug. 5 2002
"vlcgirl" (WASHINGTON, DC) - See all my reviews
ANN HAS DONE IT AGAIN...I'M A TRUE ANN RULE FAN, AND HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING HER WORK FOR YEARS. THIS IS BY FAR ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF ALL TIMES.......

You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases
You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases by Ann Rule (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 1 1994)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89