‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the compact size too, July 2 2014
This review is from: Acts Of Faith: Meditations For People of Color (Paperback)
A valued read any time, every time, for all time. This never gets old, It's a necessary reminder of the things we may forget to apply to our every day conscientiousness. Love the compact size too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, July 13 2001
Y. Kenton (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acts Of Faith: Meditations For People of Color (Paperback)
This book has inspired me. I have found several meditations that apply whole heartedly to my life. I have retyped and copied several of the quotes and taped them to my refrigerator or put them on my bulletin board at work. This is a book I needed years ago.
This book has given me insight and inspiration on several different topics. Since I bought it a few years ago, I have yet to put it down. I'm always reading this. I have become more pleasant in certain circumstance because of something I've read here.
For anybody facing lifes highs and lows or debating whether or not to start meditating this book is one you should have. It's so nice to have a book that focuses on the daily ins and outs of being a person of color.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, June 12 2001
This review is from: Acts Of Faith: Meditations For People of Color (Paperback)
This book has such power. I believe it is filled with just the greatest words for any situations. This is a must have for anyone who needs a little motivation once in awhile. And i think thats everyone. There are two recommended methods for using this book. One is to follow along according to the date. The other is to just open it up and see what happens. I do this alot and every page i have read spoke to my heart and to whatever is going on in my life. GO GET THIS BOOK AND GIVE A COPY TO ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS and to your enemies to they can get their life together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, June 12 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration for all, April 23 2001
Nikki (Decatur, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acts Of Faith: Meditations For People of Color (Paperback)
This book gets me through bad days and good days. What I mean by that is with every page and every insightful message you learn more about yourself and the people in your life. I recommend this book to any and everyone that wants to get in touch with their inner and outer self.

5.0 out of 5 stars ACTS OF FAITH, March 8 2001
Mary Allen "Mary B Allen" (HARRISBURG, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acts Of Faith: Meditations For People of Color (Paperback)
This book, ACTS OF FAITH, is a year-long daily meditation guide. Each day is led off by a quote or bible verse. The soothing style of the writings makes the reader feel good. They lessen confusion and ease troubled minds. It's very spiritual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational, Sept. 18 2000
This review is from: Acts Of Faith: Meditations For People of Color (Paperback)
I was introduced to Iyanla Vanzant the author about 1 year ago. I saw my friend with the book and got hooked on the inspirational words. Iyana has a prescription for every problem whether it is monetary , relationship or life in general. It has become my favourite book. I read it everyday to keep me motivated. It is an excellent gift for any time of the year. This book is definitely the best motivational book of the century. I was priviledged to buy the books for my friends . It is an asset to anyone that reads it. Keep up the good work Iyanla.

4.0 out of 5 stars Never ceases to be consoling, enlightening, or uplifting, July 24 2000
This review is from: Acts Of Faith: Meditations For People of Color (Paperback)
Iyanla has an everlasting winner with this book. Each calendar day of the year has a message for dealing with a particular kind of struggle, and accepting a particular kind of gift, inherent in the promise and reality of every day of life. I am reminded of a poet friend of mine who made a point every day of flipping pages with his eyes closed and stopping at one indiscriminately, treating the book like a kind of *I Ching* ritual, to get a special unexpected message to start or continue his day. It also, I'm sure, inspired much of his poetry.
Iyanla Vanzant's appeal I believe- or part of it- is her ability to do something creative with the knowledge she has acquired. In reality it doesn't take much more than reading the top ten best sellers in New Age philosophy and pop-psychology of the past ten or so years (sprinkled with a bit of Freud and the New Testament) to regurgitate in print much of what is said in any of the books that are popular today. The talent comes in not how you shine the piano of your new found consciousness- which everyone actually has and uses intuitevly on good days- but how you play it. Vanzant proves unquestionably in this book that she is an artist with something uniquely powerful to say; uniquely in that it is particularly individual and artistically authentically rendered, such that a bit of her soul is left on every page, as well her advice. And the quotes she gives of other great thinkers, great artists and just great people, add to the wonderfullness of it all perfectly, taking ego out of the game. This I believe is still her most successful book in that regard.
This book makes a great gift, as many of her books do (some make better gifts than they do keepers), but it also can easily become a treasured companion on your daily journey through the year, reminding you how blessed every day actually is.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars 365 acts of faith, 365 steps to the cure...., June 19 2000
This review is from: Acts Of Faith: Meditations For People of Color (Paperback)
...I knew I had a winner on my hands when I purchased Vanzant's "Acts of Faith" some 6-7 years ago. Actually, what caught my eye when I saw it in the bookstore was Synthia St. James' colorful "Visions" painting on the cover. My kinda pick me up...

"Visions" is prophetic.

Vanzant says that any problem can be faced and solved if you remove your fears--most times these fears manifest itself in stress...not having completed the work you were to do, not tieing up all the details which are to be taken care of. Hard times and problems may not end, but your way of looking at--envisioning them--may indeed change, so that you may have the truest victory in the end.

The Vanzant prescription, these daily affirmations, repeated four times/forty times a day. And read the positive vibe essay penned by Vanzant under each statement. All to help you change your personal outlook and/or uplift your spirits. Lemme tellya, it works.

Like no other cure...

Al!l for... and some small effort on your part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acts of Faith: Daily Meditations for People of Color, May 18 2000
Gina Gutierrez (New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acts Of Faith: Meditations For People of Color (Paperback)
I am of Puerto Rican decent- so maybe that does or doesn't qualify me as a person of color - regardless, this is a MUST read for everyone. I found it to be inspirational when I was having a bad day or felt bad. It's a great way to start off the day by opening it and reading any one of the encouraging pages in each section!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Acts Of Faith: Meditations For People of Color
Acts Of Faith: Meditations For People of Color by Iyanla Vanzant (Paperback - Nov. 12 1993)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.26