5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!
This is one of those books that I have wanted to review for a while, but was unsure of how to approach it. I love the book and have read it over a half dozen times in less than two years. Yet it is such an atypical book that it is difficult to review. I can just be blunt and state that the book will grab you and draw you back in again and again.

The book is...
Published on Dec 31 2006 by Steven R. McEvoy

3.0 out of 5 stars ONCE AGAIN--3 STARS!!
This book of sketches and reflections harkens back to his first work, Generation X, in that it's experimental and unexpected. Many of the scenarios are weak, and some are downright pretentious, but the work as a whole is intriguing. I admire Coupland's willingness to be earnest in his examinination of religious beliefs, as most young writers are dreadfully afraid...
Published on July 8 2000 by Nab8la

(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Life After God (Perfect Paperback)

The book is published as fiction, yet rumors have it that Coupland will admit that it is at least partially autobiographical. It is a collection of recollections, thoughts, memories and drawings by Coupland. It is the recount a man’s life, and as we find out he is telling the story to find out how his life got to where it is. He wants a record for his daughter so that maybe she will understand him better. My favorite of the individual entries is:

"Now -- here is my secret:

I tell it to you with an openness of heart I doubt I shall ever achieve again, so I pray that you are in a quiet room as you hear these words. My secret is that I need God - that I am sick and can no longer make it alone. I need God to help me give, because I no longer seem capable of giving; to help me to be kind, as I no longer seem capable of kindness; to help me love, as I seem beyond able to love." p.359

Every time I pick up this book, I get something more out of it. Sometimes I read it from beginning to end, and then at other times I just pick it up and read at random. This book deals with many of the ‘big’ questions all of us will have to deal with in our lives. Questions like: How do we deal with Loneliness? Anxiety? Failed relationships? How can we find quiet in our lives? It also deals with the question of being raised without a religion or belief system and how, as we age, we end up struggling with spiritual questions.

If you can track down the first edition hardcover it is worth it. It is in a different format and shape. With the dust jacket off, it looks like a prayer book or bible. If you read it without the jacket in public places people will often ask you what you are reading. This was intentional and the shape and design of this book are part of the art of the book, and part of the complexity Coupland has woven into it. The front cover of the hardback also has an outline of a hand, like a tracing of a child’s hand. As we are all reaching out beyond ourselves in search of some greater meaning in life, we are reaching out like a child in search of a parent.

My hat is off to Coupland and this amazing work of art - on all the levels that it is art of the deepest level. Coupland has created a masterpiece that will become a classic, which will survive through the ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, May 22 2006
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
I must admit that I am biased in this review. Having attended school with Doug Coupland (a few years behind him) and knowing the places and some of the people he writes about in this book made it an amazing read for me. It took me back to a time thousands of miles and days from where I am now and did so with clarity. Quite an experience.
I wasn't sure how others -- not familiar with the North Shore in BC -- might take the book. It looks like many have good things to say, which highlights that he writes about universal issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poignant Vignettes on life, July 16 2004
Blue (Seattle, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
This is a good book, effective but not great. The series of stories as told by the disenfranchised narrator is filled with keen observations and poignant vigneetes, together forming a good carricature of the suburban lifestyle during these safe, post Cold War years where spirituality dwindles. I found the apocalyptic seres of vignette the most effective, as well as the relationship to the sister. The ending is a bit of a let down, as Coupland didn't really have a run up to the conclusion, it just appeared as a stretch.

5.0 out of 5 stars the desert, Jan. 13 2004
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
some books change your life and some make you change your life. every year i reread this book and find something new.learn something new. see something that i had overlooked in myself, in life. this book proves that you dont need big words or flowery language to have an impact. amazing. just amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Images, Dec 22 2003
Alane Fuller (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
The kiddish sketches and the small chapters made the book more interesting to read. I enjoyed his frank way of speaking and the array of moments in time that Coupland touched on (particularly the nuclear scene). He definitely chose good scenes and good characters and was minimally boring. The end wasn't fantastic and much less than I expected. There simply wasn't enough building up to the end he chose; every event seemed to be leading up to a different end. The irony wasn't strikingly brilliant, though. It was more like a fizz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proven Wrong Once Again, Dec 12 2000
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
I am a person of strong moral upbringing, and upon stumbling across this book, my first intention was that it would be just another book to unteach religion. But I soon discovered that this "life" that is being discussed is precisely how the world exists.
Coupland hasn't merely written blatent observations about spirituality, or even about morals or living, but about rather philosophical views of life.
If one was to take the time to read and ponder the views of the author, he/she might be able to connect with that inner belief. What Coupland is trying to portray is not so much that there is a God, but that we need a God.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coupland sets a new pace with X'er brand literature., Sept. 25 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
Coupland continues to do us all a favor by describing the world from a previously unnoticed perspective. His innovations in language and storyline are an exciting change of pace from the status quo. Even so, his quirky, often cynical observations, are an acquired taste for those who have not grasped this brand of grunge-techno-pop-iconic-insider literature. He will be studied by young writers in ten or twenty years.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite book, Nov. 14 2003
David Waggoner (Knoxville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
i dunno? something about this book's simplicity...and how it's all tied together at the end? something about how in the end nothing in life can fill the void except the Divine. Douglas Copeland creates art without trying to, and in the process, reveals the secret of life. not bad...even for a third novel...not bad at all.

Life After God
Life After God by Douglas Coupland (Paperback - March 1 1995)
CDN$ 26.99 CDN$ 16.92