5.0 out of 5 stars The Revenge of the Stereotypes
This book is hysterical, and anyone who thinks that this imitates the "Xena" craze missed the point. It takes the lame fantasy stereotypes and puts them through the RoncoMatic.
Of course, the essential irony present in Xena must have missed some folks, too.
Published on May 17 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Pun-nishment
Published on Feb. 18 2002 by D. Lasley

2.0 out of 5 stars Pun-nishment, Feb. 18 2002
D. Lasley (Pocopson, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicks in Chainmail (Mass Market Paperback)
When I stumbled on this series, I thought "this should be fun" with good authors working with the opportunity to be creative and insightful and wise. Instead I read some simple, contrived, and boring stories that showed that the authors didn't "get it". From the nagging mother to the stories based on bad puns, I can't think of one story that I wanted to share with my wife. The Tamora Pierce "Alanna" series was more on target, even if it was a teen series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Miserable failure., May 14 2002
"allmail" (Ft Calhoun NE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicks in Chainmail (Mass Market Paperback)
I too thought this would be fun, but the stories are trite, a struggle to read, pure boredom. I got as far as Hillary Clinton being transported to Valhalla after a train crash, and this book crashed shut. It has made the rounds in my office without one person completing the book, or any positive comments. I can't get rid of it. Even as an oddity, it is a miserable failure. This feminist joke is horribly presented. Any comic book on the same subject would be better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, Nov. 19 2002
This review is from: Chicks in Chainmail (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this because I like fantasy short stories and I thought the title was funny. There were only 3 stories I actually liked; TEACHER'S PET/Josepha Sherman, WERE-WENCH/Jan Stirling and BLOOD CALLS TO BLOOD/Elisabeth Waters. The rest were boring or unreadable. It has been 4 months since I got this book and its taken me this long to force myself to finish it. What a disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars True "Chick-Lit", April 19 2002
This review is from: Chicks in Chainmail (Mass Market Paperback)
Required reading for all Xena-fans! Great stories in their own right, and just the thing for the days without Xena reruns. Don't forget to buy the other books in this series, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Revenge of the Stereotypes, May 17 2001
This review is from: Chicks in Chainmail (Mass Market Paperback)
If you like irony, and you're familiar with the usual fantasy stereotype women, you'll like this.
If you have no sense of humor, skip it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for escapist reading, Sept. 8 2000
John C. Silva "History Teacher" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chicks in Chainmail (Mass Market Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. The stories are full of wonderful stories that are sure to please men and women alike. I wouldn't want to meet any of these women in a dark ally but I really like reading about their conquests and vitories in battle.

1.0 out of 5 stars flatfooted and unmemorable, Aug. 19 2000
This review is from: Chicks in Chainmail (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is only for people who become wildly exited at the very thought of healthy young women dressed like ancient warriors. None of the stories show the slightest inkling of wit or imagination.
This book was obviously written merely to cash in on the Xena craze.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Satire of Sterotypes w/n SciFi, June 9 2000
This review is from: Chicks in Chainmail (Mass Market Paperback)
If ever there was a book to point and make fun of generic "women in skimpy armor", this is it. Excellent approach to all types of humor (subliminal and not so subliminal) towards the standard role of women in Science Fiction novels (skimpy armor, needing to be saved, etc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny! General good read!, March 4 1999
This review is from: Chicks in Chainmail (Mass Market Paperback)
I thought the actual book would be terrible, but then I noticed E. Moon's name on it so I thought. Oh what the hell, and bought it. It was worth it. Very funny, and engrosing. So engrosing in fact I stayed up till 3 am to finish it, and I have a test today! Oh well.. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must to slip under your little girl's pillow!, Nov. 6 1998
This review is from: Chicks in Chainmail (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a smart, funny and sexy book! Drawing from various science fiction writers both male and female, a collection of both halarious and inspiring stories portrays women as warriors, healers, and mothers, often at the same time. This is a must to slip under your little girl's pillow, and would make an excellent coming of age gift. Highly recommended.

Chicks in Chainmail
Chicks in Chainmail by Esther Friesner (Mass Market Paperback - 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01