5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration and Encouragement for life-long yoga practice
Published on June 24 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended -- ignores basic safety issues
Published on April 3 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration and Encouragement for life-long yoga practice, June 24 2000
Ce commentaire est de: Yoga Over 50 (Paperback)
I had done yoga seriously for 10 years in my 30's, but when I took it up again, to attempt to alleviate increasing 'aches and pains', I thought I was becoming 'too old' at age 53, because I couldn't do it as well as when I was younger. This book showed me that people older than I am were continuing to practice yoga. Now, at 57, I'm enjoying yoga more than I ever did when I was younger; I'm appreciating it on many more levels than simply the physical; AND my back pain is gone, my shoulder tension and sciatica are reduced to mild discomfort when tired, my ankles and wrists are more flexible than they've ever been. All this, thanks to the encouragement of a picture book, (as well as an excellent teacher who trained with the author) to reinforce the previous experience I've had with yoga. Now my 59 year old husband is beginning yoga, using the book. It's excellent.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended -- ignores basic safety issues, April 3 1998
Ce commentaire est de: Yoga Over 50 (Paperback)
This book is filled with pretty pictures of seniors doing easy to difficult postures. No attempt is made to discuss the precautions anyone, but especially older people should take in practicing yoga, and I would definately not recommend it for an older beginner, especially anyone with injuries. A far better book is The New Yoga for People Over 50, Suza Francina, which discusses the changes that take place as we age, and shows many asanas with appropriate use of props and modifizations for safety, and which are suitable/unsuitable for injuries, high blood pressure -- a much, much better book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A very easy to use book with helps for the older beginner, Jan. 3 1999
Ce commentaire est de: Yoga Over 50 (Paperback)
One of the main reasons I bought this book after borrowing it from the public library is the very useful set of routines at the end. This allows someone to put together an effective set of exercises to meet various levels of flexibility and suit different purposes. The pictures are excellent illustrations of the different poses, and good hints are provided on working toward accomplishing them, with helps if necessary. Explanations and background of yoga are clear and concise, so you don't have to wade through reams of philosophical material.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Starter for Beginners of any Age, March 4 1999
Ce commentaire est de: Yoga Over 50 (Paperback)
I started using this book at age 41, and found it is extremely practical & provides easy to follow directions. The recommended programs at the back give guidance that other books don't. I have mild sciatica now rather than the crippling back pain I suffered from 2 years ago, before following the programs in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, Oct. 31 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Yoga Over 50 (Paperback)
I have recieved the book as a help for arthritis and at this time I have a flare up in my knees and am unable to use the book but it looks easy to follow and arrived quickly and on time

Yoga Over 50
Yoga Over 50 by Mary Stewart (Paperback - Aug. 25 1994)
CDN$ 22.99 CDN$ 16.60