4.0 out of 5 stars A good book for newbies to start with.
Published on Dec 18 2002 by Gonçalo Gomes

3.0 out of 5 stars Agree with AK from Moscow
I completely agree with AK from Moscow regarding this book. Now I have only the 1st edition, but unless *major* changes were made, I would expect similar results.
Published on Sept. 21 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book for newbies to start with., Dec 18 2002
Gonçalo Gomes (Portugal, Lisbon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linux Programming Unleashed (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
As I was going to my grand mother's home with a friend of mine, preparing myself to pass one week without having much to do (Yes, I am one of those geeks), my friend given me this book to overcome the tedium I was about to face. I've read most of this book continuously in 3 days, I've skipped all the parts of the book concerning X-windows development as I don't use it and I sure will not going to use it unless demanded. I found the book very interesting; the author has a very involving writing style. The book covers mostly C programming and has some chapter(s) on Java and shell scripting. There was sub-chapters which weren't needed and chapters which were needed and weren't there. For example, the book explains you how to use ioctl and set flags equal to those done by chattr(1), but it's only one example on the ioctl interface, I was actually interested in this set of ioctl but, it seemed to me needless to be covered as an example of ioctl()s. On the other hand, I found a lot of explanations lacking on the sockets part of the book. For example, I don't remember reading about the poll() interface, which is far better than select() system call explained in chapter. 11. There was also one chapter completely devoted on writing documentation and the general licenses which I found off-topic for a programming book, but nevertheless interesting to read. The introduction to the GNU tools are a must read, and I recommend this book for anyone starting a career or with just plain interest in programming for this operating system. I must say that when I've read the book, I knew a great part of what I was about to read and that I wasn't completely clueless to what I was reading. (Sorry for any incoherencies in my review, English ISN'T my native language).

3.0 out of 5 stars Agree with AK from Moscow, Sept. 21 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Linux Programming Unleashed (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
If you are completely new to programming or completely new to programming in GNU/Linux, or if you are interested in writing somewhat trivial programs for only yourself, then this book may be of help. I would not recommend it for experienced programmers. As AK said, Linux Application Development by Johnson and Troan is significantly better. The WROX book is also better. Both of these books are much more well written than Linux Unleashed, by which I mean independent of the material. Stronger editing should have been applied here. It does cover a lot of topics, but so does my dictionary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a comprehensive introduction to Linux programming, Aug. 21 2003
indexsurfer "indexsurfer" (Davis, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Linux Programming Unleashed (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
Those familiar with Linux know how obtuse its documentation can be. Anyone who has tried to compile Linux software will appreciate the additional information about what is going that is provided in this excellent text. You are bound to be inspired to try some highly educational examples. For those who want to try programming, this is an indespensible aide.
Unfortunately, I found some errors that are hard to spot. You may be luckier.

Linux Programming Unleashed (2nd Edition)
Linux Programming Unleashed (2nd Edition) by Mark Watson (Paperback - Dec 18 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 6.91