5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever writeen for FreeBSD.
I have been using FreeBSD for about 2 years now, I have about 7 different books in my shell. I have to tell you the truth, this is the best, detail, organized, professional book I have ever read of freeBSD, not even the handbook give you so much detail as this book. If you are a begineer and want to really learn this OS, but this book. It is the best you can get.
Published on Sept. 12 2003 by lisandrogrullon

3.0 out of 5 stars Generaly good, but with many unnessary chapters included.
I think it is very good introductory book for freebsd expect the fact that there is a great amount of pages spent on the X windows system and its utilities. My opinion is that the title 'unleased' doesn't feet with aspects such as 'how to start mozilla and print' , 'gnome' , etc. I can understand the need of presenting the X window system as an important piece of the...
Published on Jan. 22 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong Mid-Level Reference, April 1 2002
Z. Hester (Olathe, KS, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
I've been casually using FreeBSD for about a year now and wanted to make it my primary workstation OS. After paging through all three books on FreeBSD at my local bookstore, I bought a copy of Unleashed. The biggest reason I bought it was that it covers FreeBSD 4.5 (the RELEASE version at the time of my purchase). It also has a lot of information on 5.0 CURRENT.
The strength of the book is its breadth. It's pretty much a Swiss Army Knife book. You could literally start with only a little knowledge of UNIX (or multi-user OSs) and build a rather complete server to host all kinds of services for a web site, or a local network using this book. (I recommend you DO build a hobby server to try out some of the examples in the book.)
There are several glaring problems, though. The biggest being technical errors strewn throughout the text. If you're entirely new to UNIX, you'll probably run into a few problems if you type in the commands exactly as listed. I'm a technical editor myself, so my "edit daemons" are always running in the background and pointing out problems while I read anything. I would say that the book has no less than 20 errors (either in command statements or technical theory) that are large enough to cause you problems if you're not sure what you're doing. Be careful when you're reading and if something looks a little odd, it probably is, so look it up somewhere else.
I would also say that it would have been nice to see some of the examples on the CDs that were promised in the text. (My CD-ROMs came with FreeBSD 4.5 RELEASE and FreeBSD 5.0 CURRENT.) The "phantom references" to the section on periodical service configuration would have been nice to see.
If you use or plan on using FreeBSD, either as a production-grade server or a stand-alone workstation, this book should be on your shelf. This either means that the book is really useful in spite of its problems, or that there just isn't enough choices when it comes to up-to-date books on the coolest OS out there: FreeBSD. (Help me, O'Reilly.)

3.0 out of 5 stars I love FreeBSD, but this book needs work, March 16 2002
Richard Bejtlich "TaoSecurity" (Metro Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
I am a senior engineer for network security operations who uses FreeBSD daily. I want to encourage other authors to write FreeBSD books, since documentation helps administrators adopt unfamiliar operating systems. Unfortunately, "FreeBSD Unleashed" suffers too many flaws to warrant more than an average to below-average rating.
The book suffers from three major weaknesses. First, my 'First Printing, August 2001' edition contained typos on pages 357, 358, 363, 364, 378, 435, 730, and others. FreeBSD newbies may not always recognize these mistakes. Second, the book makes numerous references to scripts on an accompanying CD-ROM, but the discs sold with the volume only offer FreeBSD 4.4 RELEASE and FreeBSD 5.0 CURRENT. I could not find the missing scripts at the publisher's web site, either. Third, several sections refer to missing content. For example, chapter 14 apparently should have contained guidance on automating processes using 'periodic'. It's difficult to implement later recommendations that cite this missing documentation, such as pages 426-7.
Beyond these three flaws, the book does not suit its intended 'Intermediate-Advanced' audience. The material appears to be aimed at users trying to migrate away from Windows or perhaps Linux. 'Intermediate-Advanced' users do not need lessons on fundamentals of networking like hardware and protocols. I was also frustrated by the inclusion of a chapter on 'Perl Programming' which was too vague to be helpful. If the authors couldn't do anything useful with the 23 pages allotted to the topic, the chapter should have been dropped. (In contrast, I found the shell scripting chapter more practical.)
I really hoped to give this book a glowing review. My company's FreeBSD servers routinely exceed 100-plus days of uptime, and I believe the OS is an incredible platform for servers. While I found sections of "FreeBSD Unleashed" useful, they were not sufficient to make me overlook the book's weaknesses. Strangely enough, it's probably still a good idea to buy this book if you're a FreeBSD system administrator. It's important to collect and support documentation for this robust, powerful OS. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for the book that does it justice ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, thorough, refreshing., Feb. 20 2002
"pentae" (Brisbane, QLD Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
This would have to be the most helpful computer resource i've read to date. Its approach is incredibly refreshing, practical, yet not afraid to get technical for the sake of quenching the 'but, why?' thirst. I think its focus is right on the mark.
I've read it front to back more than twice, still learning new and interesting information. If anything it utterly inspired me into loving FreeBSD, something other books have not done at all.
I have bought another copy of this book for my internet company as a resource to have around the office for general FreeBSD questions.
Staff are fighting over the copy, and the book can be found on the desk of my administrator, to my business partner who does not know much about UNIX and finds the book very helpful as a reference.
Books like these really help move the FreeBSD community forward into the 21st century.

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally good, Feb. 12 2002
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
For absolute newcomers to the operating system, I would not recommend this book. I'm somewhat familiar with FreeBSD/Unix and I knew some of the items/text in this book is wrong. Most notibly are typographical errors (typos). Examples are OK, the in-depth instruction is quite well. All of the documentation I've seen (printed, online, handbook excluded) seem to be dated. FreeBSD 4.3+ is current, and all the examples talk about FreeBSD v2, v3 and some v1. In hopes for an "all-around" solution, I would take this book with a grain of salt.

2.0 out of 5 stars does not live up..., Jan. 13 2002
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
The back title states that it will show how to harness the power of FreeBSD. It does not do much regarding that. There is a lot of time spent explaining things like the difference between a hub and a switch. It also does not go into depth into many areas such as recompiling the kernel. It makes a recomendation to use StarOffice, but does not even mention many of the problems with trying to get this installed.
The book jumps around, and there does not seem to be a good cronological structure for the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but typos, Jan. 3 2002
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
This book was great. I have never really been big on the Unleashed series of books, but this was a really good book. I should give this book 5 stars, but the typos are really bad. Fortunately, they're small enough typos that they do not take away from the technical content. I really should stop subtracting a star for typographical errors because it seems every book I've ever read has many of these.
I started out not knowing anything about FreeBSD. Now, I could call myself a beginner/intermediate user. I am now using it as an SMTP/IMAP4 and HTTP server. Get this book it's worth the bucks. Well written, and a lot of the points on the book are centered on how it differs from Win2k. That's good for those who know only Win2k, thus they have a point of comparison/reference.
In conclusion, it's a great book. Get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Intermediate Book, Jan. 3 2002
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
With Linux (or MS for that matter) there are probably thousands of books, some for the neophyte, some for the expert, and some for almost every level in between. With FreeBSD, there are only a few--Ms. Anderson's book, which fills a niche for the beginner, Mr. Lehey's, which covers just about everything (it's rightfully called the Complete FreeBSD), Mr. Mittlestaedt's, designed for the Network/Sys Admin, the Handbook, also available on line and this one.
This book gives straighforward explanations of various aspects of running FreeBSD. I liked its section on firewalls, for example, more than I did the Handbook's section. It's a good reference to have around.
This book seems the perfect bridge between Ms. Anderson's and Mr. Lehey's.

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable resource to a great operating system, Dec 28 2001
William Martin "bdoserr" (Weems, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
This book is an absolute must if you're considering a FreeBSD installation. Although FreeBSD has many great features, ease of installation is not one of them - it's about where Linux was 2 years ago. I found this book to be invaluable in getting past installation glitches. In addition, it has very good advice about system configuration. It assumes a fair knowledge of Windows, but also points out differences with Linux that are helpful to experienced Penguin heads.
I was particularly pleased with the book's sections on common *nix applications such as Gnome and Samba. I found it significantly more comprehensible than the Linux books I've used. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for the Unleashed Series, Dec 1 2001
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
As a FreeBSD enthusiast I could say that everything is on the handbook, but I'd be a liar. Everything about FreeBSD is on FreeBSD.
For all those who have heard about FreeBSD and desire to start from scratch (i.e. moving from Windows), you'll need all the help you can get: you'll have to look for the Complete FreeBSD book, the Handbook (printed or online) and will be surfing the FreeBSD man pages after the instalation... and then you'll have to use your own creativity imagination and all the internet search engines available to understand and implement this beautiful OS. But the results are excellent, the stability and security that FreeBSD offers are outstanding.
FreeBSD Unleashed is certainly a book which has many updated information and shares many common points with the books mentioned above, however, all of them complement each other. I certainly recommend this book for everyone who needs a good reference book for FreeBSD and already owns the others mentioned.
Good Luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comprehensive FreeBSD book available, Nov. 18 2001
Tyler Durden (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
There is nothing left to desire after this book. It has everything you could ask for in the most profound FreeBSD reference guide available. Its true that some information is available online (great many thanks to the FreeBSD doc. team), it is nowhere near this extensive. All subject matter is explained with enough detail and troubleshooting information that I find it invaluable.

FreeBSD Unleashed
FreeBSD Unleashed by Brian Tiemann (Paperback - Oct. 12 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 6.48