Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on January 21, 2002
I bought this book not knowing what to expect, the description promised quite a bit of know-how was contained within. Pleased to say it was well worth it. Prior to getting this book, I'd gotten good with ActionScript and JavaScript but to hook Flash up with any back-end scripting or XML for my clients I've always been calling other people to consult and half the time had to just go with HTML instead.
I always had a fear of any of those 3-letter languages (ASP/PHP) since the few books I'd gotten on them were way to heavy on programming theory and usually lacking on real world examples, and definitely never had an example of how to connect those things to Flash! There's a good sampling of how to effectively use XML with Flash and working through the examples let me finally understand many concepts that previously had been just out of my grasp.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2002
XML in Flash begins by illustrating the basics of XML and the Flash XML Object.
In Part I, Flash is used as a teaching aid as you learn the basics of Flash/XML integration.
Part II covers how Flash works with middleware languages, such as PHP and ASP, as well as performance and optimization. You will also create a Flash message board with a database. Part
III delves into the advantages of XMLSocket. Hands-on projects include creating a stock market ticker to receive XML data from servers. Finally, the appendixes include invaluable reference information on XML, XMLNode objects, and XMLSocket objects, as well as Frequently Asked Questions.
The example applications also illustrate the key concepts necessary for understanding the Flash/XML relationship.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse