5.0 out of 5 stars Made my deadline
Published on Oct. 4 2002 by Jon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best... Not the worst...
Published on Jan. 30 2004 by Brian Scott O'keefe

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best... Not the worst..., Jan. 30 2004
This review is from: PHP Developer's Cookbook (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I am a newb when it comes to PHP, but not when it comes to programming in general. The Content is very cleanly laid out. It is straightforward, but by no means simple. For using some detailed code, I was surprised at the lack of commenting on the code. He steps into some areas not expected by me. For instance, he lays out some XML / XSL based code that I was itching to know and now I do!
However, he also covers some topics that are so basic that I felt it hurt the book overall... I learned most basic code from such books as Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 24 hours... so to cover the few basic topics like he did felt more appropriate for a beginners book... But he does make up for it with some VERY in-depth code. Just wish he commented his advanced code to help the newbs a little more...
If you're going to get a book to help you with specific issues? This is your book... (as long as your issues are his) If you want to learn PHP? Get Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 24 hours...
Either way, do yourself a favor and check out the Index here on Amazon... You might just find exactly what you are hoping to do, in which case, his coding is great...

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my deadline, Oct. 4 2002
Jon (Denver, Colorado) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP Developer's Cookbook (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I'm not the type of programmer that likes to copy & paste other people's code in my applications, however, every so often I run into problems that I'm not quite sure of the proper way to solve; this book has become invaluable in these cases, whether it is performing HTTP Post requests (hint, use cURL), or parsing data with regular expressions, the book provides a handy reference for all the common and not so common tasks that you might encounter.
One of the things that I really appreciate about the book is that it is written by two PHP core developers, and they often show their knowledge, telling you what goes on behind the scene, offering a variety of different solutions, and then offering the best solution. I've found this information helpful in solving future problems, as I learned what was going on under the hood, therefore, I knew how to optimize the solution.
An excellent book, if you want solutions to problems that you'll constantly encounter, its meant to be a reference on the programmer's bookshelf, not a way to learn PHP (although it definitely has _improved_ my PHP knowledge), ....
...

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a PERL Cookbook for PHP, Jan. 21 2002
M D (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP Developer's Cookbook (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
Becoming more advanced in the field of PHP programming, I needed a solid reference to help me along the way. This book did just the trick.
It gives problems and solutions to everyday problems that programmers face, and conveniently groups the examples by category, such as strings, arrays, etc.
PHP Developer's Cookbook helped me with many of the tasks that I was currently embarking upon, and looking through its contents helped me find new and better solutions for current and future problems.
A word of warning, however, this book will probably NOT teach you PHP. The categories are not placed in a good order for beginners, but are great for those of intermediate and expert programmers alike. If you are new to PHP, I would say look elsewhere, say PHP Essentials, but I would recommend that you definetely keep this text in mind if you decide to further your PHP skills. Strongly recommended for intermediate and expert PHP programmers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine wine in a 7-up bottle, Jan. 27 2002
This review is from: PHP Developer's Cookbook (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
Most of the great texts are appropriately named and hold themselves in particularly high esteem. This book doesn't do that, its about solutions. It offers practical solutions to every day problems (really, the book in many cases has actually had the exact solution to the problems I had!) And not only that, but the book is also very easy to read from front to back. Although its not intended as a book that should be read fluently, reading it chapter by chapter will actually increase your knowledge of PHP a hundred fold, both authors are on the PHP Development team, and they explain how PHP really works, inside out. A must have for any intermediate-experienced coder, looking to take there coding skills to the next level.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money., Aug. 29 2002
This review is from: PHP Developer's Cookbook (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
I'm a intermediate-advanced PHP coder. I own 13 PHP books, some I use more than others. The only book of the 13 that has NEVER been useful for a single thing was this (sorry) "cookbook." Explanations are poor and the index is horrible. I wonder if the people giving this book high marks have really tried to use it. For real answers to how to do things give me Professional PHP or PHP and MYSL Web Development. Or if you're really stuck and need a clue, check out the DevShed.com forums. Cookbook? More like "compost heap." I think the authors just decided to take a bunch or random code they'd written and paste it all together into a "book." Gosh, maybe I should take some of my old stuff and publish it too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete, July 23 2002
Robert Giles "Bob" (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP Developer's Cookbook (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
Bought this book hoping it would be similar to the Perl cookbook - as another reviewer commented, there are "gaps" in the content. Every time I needed a solution to a particular problem in Perl, I found the answer in the Perl cookbook. Every time I needed a similar solution in PHP, I found myself using [their wedsite] because the PHP Cookbook made no mention of the problem.
Hopefully there are better PHP books out there - I think I'll stick to [the website] for now and get free, detailed help from the PHP community.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cookbook, not a "For Dummies" book, Jan. 13 2003
This review is from: PHP Developer's Cookbook (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
Like a true cookbook, this book gives you recipes for how to make certain meals. It doesn't explain every tool and ingredient in your kitchen: that information can be had anywhere.
The authors present several example projects, then go about solving them, introducing you to certain PHP fundementals (and not-so-fundamentals) along the way.
If you are trying to learn PHP from scratch, then maybe this isn't the book for you. This isn't "PHP Cooking for Dummies" ... and I, for one, am glad.

4.0 out of 5 stars PHP at its best, March 3 2002
Ehsanul Karim (Dhaka,Bangladesh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP Developer's Cookbook (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
This book takes PHP to the depth and reveals many of the methods and functions which can be only found out after years of extensive programming.The topics are very well organized. If you are looking forward to learn PHP grab this book.Although if you are looking for database sychronizations this book doesn't cover a lot.If you are looking for a PHP book other than Database applications this is the right one !!

2.0 out of 5 stars NO CD provided for code and examples, Sept. 27 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: PHP Developer's Cookbook (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
Any coder loves to cut & paste rather than type in the code from the book. It is really a shame that this book has some good examples but they apparently force you to type in the examples by hand. NO CD and as far as I can tell, no website to download from. If you want to read examples then this is your book, if you want to try the examples then find another book with a CD or website support.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, July 27 2002
Sashi McEntee "ssf1fan" (Mill Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP Developer's Cookbook (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
This is a singularly useless book. I bought it because I liked the concept of a "cookbook," a collection of PHP recipes, which I expected to be common tasks. Instead, it is organized by programming concept.
The authors say they assume a basic level of PHP or programming knowledge, but their idea of basic is very uneven. You'll find much better resources for common tasks online.

PHP Developer's Cookbook (2nd Edition)
PHP Developer's Cookbook (2nd Edition) by Andrei Zmievski (Paperback - Dec 13 2001)
CDN$ 41.99 CDN$ 26.45