5.0 out of 5 stars Simply my bible for PHP and MySQL!
A job well done by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson! I purchased this job after going through Amazon User Reviews. I had some knowledge in Perl-CGI and worked on ODBC connectivity to databases. I just wanted to get started with PHP and since this book addressed the added issue of database connectivity (in this case MySQL), I thought of giving it a try.
Some of the best...
Published on March 7 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars This book versus the new O'Reilly one
Published on June 7 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars This book versus the new O'Reilly one, June 7 2004
This review is from: PHP and MySQL Web Development (Paperback)
I bought this a few months back and I found it useful getting started with PHP and MySQL. The problem, though, is that it doesn't go far enough: the material on PDF doesn't actually show you how to write a report from a database or get anything installed, there's almost nothing on advanced MySQL, and just 10 pages on OO programming. I also found the code hard to get going and a bit buggy. The 2nd edition seems to not really have moved with the pace of the area and it left me unsatisfied. In the end, I went in search of another book.
Williams and Lane's new 2nd edition of "Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL" (O'Reilly, 2004) has done it for me. It weighs in at almost 800 pages, a few hundred more than its 1st edition, and it looks like an almost complete rewrite. It covers PDF reporting in depth, installation on Windows and Mac OS X, and has chapters towards the end on PEAR, advanced MySQL, and PHP55 OO features. By the time I bought it, I guess wasn't really a newbie, but I still think it is gentle enough if you're still getting the basics (the first 200 pages or so introduce PHP and MySQL). It's a pretty awesome book, and shows again why O'Reilly are a safe bet (though perhaps it's wise to wait for the 2nd editions, judging by the bugs in the 1st edition of this one).
I reckon both books are worth the money, but if you just want one, then O'Reilly's new book is better.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Edition rocks!, May 14 2004
Rafael A. Parungao "salivatears" (Manila, Philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP and MySQL Web Development (Paperback)
This book is so cool! As a beginner in PHP I leaned a lot in this book. The price is reasonable. I wish all books are like this "by example type", like the PHP book by Julie Melonie that book also rocks!.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine overview, not the best code, April 27 2004
Jack D. Herrington "engineer and author" (Silicon Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP and MySQL Web Development (Paperback)
Overall this is a fine, if physically weighty, introduction to PHP. It will take a developer who understands web application flow reasonably well from knowing nothing about PHP to understanding how to build complex web sites.
The first 150 pages or so are on the syntax of PHP. The last 20 of those are on Object Oriented PHP (version 4), and about 10 of those are on the basics of OO programming. So I wouldn't try and learn OO PHP from this book (see Advanced PHP Programming for that.)
Section two, on database programming, starts with an introduction to the basics of database design, moves onto the mechanics of MySQL and it's interaction with PHP. It finishes with a very brief section on PEAR. This is the part that caused me to give the book only three stars. First, the database access uses string concatenation, which is error prone and insecure. Even worse, the section on PEAR, which supports the '?' operator in SQL statements, fails to mention that feature or it's advantages. Since most PHP programming is about putting a face on a database, teaching how to do databases the right way is extremely important. For a lesson in how to do database access in PHP right see another SAMS PHP book; Advanced PHP Programming.
Up to chapter twenty-four the book progresses by talking about each technology (e.g. authentication, date manipulation, regular expressions, etc.) as a sort of stove pipe. The chapters are generally short, and are well written and consistent. Graphics are used sparingly, which is appreciated.
With chapter twenty-four and beyond the author presents common tasks (e.g. login pages, shopping carts, etc.) with example applications. This is an effective technique as most of these problems involve bringing together several PHP technologies and understanding how to use them as a whole.
Overall I liked this book. I did take exception to the SQL problems in section two and I marked my review down because database access is so important to PHP web development. WIth the caveat that the reader should look elsewhere for advice on proper PHP database development I would recommend this book to anyone with some web experience who wants to develop dynamic sites with PHP.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bunch of code... little explanation, April 26 2004
This review is from: PHP and MySQL Web Development (Paperback)
This book has a bunch of code and little explanation. I don't understand how this can actually be published. The authors didn't take the time to even explain half of it, just dumped code and left us wondering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book, but you can do better!, April 13 2004
Patrick Paul "patthephpguy" (Mountain View, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP and MySQL Web Development (Paperback)
I purchased this book in '03 hoping to get a complete over of MySQL as an addition to the already familiar PHP. I was hoping to see a lot of focus on MySQL and what I could do to fully understand it's integration. What I got wasn't exactly what I was hoping for...
This book focuses on PHP alone and MySQL alone, leaving the integration for it's projects starting about half way through the book. I was dissapointed also on the length of MySQL query language. The section skimmed over MANY of the operators, only explaining about 1/3 of them, and leaving the other 2/3 to learn from months of trial and error. I was thoroughly dissapointed that they even kept things such as joining tables to perhaps 1 sample query and a 2 paragraphs at most. I was hoping to see beyond "SELECT * from table WHERE ID > 5 ORDER by title DESC", but that is about as far as most of this book will take you...
I also found that the coding techniques used are a bit too "orthodox" and not very present day. I say this because they use far too many lines/functions than needed. I've probably learned more from re-writing their code to my style than reading their code in general.
There are only about 1 or 2 coding mistakes (which I've found, however I guess that was a learning experience) that plague this book, so I have to definitely say the integrity is excellent.
If you are looking to start PHP and MySQL I'd reccomend this as a reference book, keep the core learning seperate. I'd reccomend the PHP Bible (which touches on MySQL integration nearly as much as this does..), but I have not yet found THE MySQL book. I'd reccomend the MySQL Bible but it goes far beyond PHP and not into queries as much as it could...
In summary: Learning book? Eh.. Reference book? Sound's more like it..

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply my bible for PHP and MySQL!, March 7 2004
This review is from: PHP and MySQL Web Development (Paperback)
Some of the best features of this book include:
* Manual Installation of the PHP Engine, installation of MySQL Engine on Windows Platform. It also deals with UNIX platform.
* Crispy introduction to setting up database, tables in MySQL.
* All you need to know about Sessions, Shopping Cart etc.
The authors also try to discuss the newer functions in the current versions of PHP(at the time of writing the book) and point out the deprecated functions at right places in the book.
If you have some knowledge of Server side Scripting and how the Server folder setup is.. then definitely go for this book.
Hats Off to the authors on such a wonderful effort. No where in the book i feel the authors digress from the subject. All the subjects handled, are of definite practical interest.
Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the beginning web developer, Jan. 8 2004
Brian Maula "Brian" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP and MySQL Web Development (Paperback)
The book starts off in a hurried description of the PHP syntax and automatically dives the reader into a project. The first project, obviously is creating your first PHP program.
The source code in the book is functional, with no errors (at least from what I've encountered). The few issues I have thus far are in the later chapters of the book. For the experienced developer, some of the material in the text is verbose and verbatim, it repeats things that are common to developers (security and whatnot), but it's perfect for the beginner. The book goes onto cover basic authentication in Chapter 14, and then details it in a much later chapter. The things I love about the book is that it covers PHP sessions, working with the file system directly (Windows AND UNIX), FTP uploads, and it even shows you how to make your own WebMail page using PHP.
MySQL is aptly covered, the book does not go into detail with SQL, it covers the basic commands such as create database, use database, create table, insert commands, and some basic authentication stuff. It even has a small Apache tutorial in the Appendix.
It's a good book for the beginner, I bought it because I like the format of the book and the examples.

3.0 out of 5 stars So much going for it. . .BUT, Dec 14 2003
This review is from: PHP and MySQL Web Development (Paperback)
Oh, this book seems to have so much going for it. At first, I was going to say that this was one of the most comprehensible computer books I've read in a long time (why, oh why can't computer people write in a manner that is clearly understood to their readers?) - the authors seem to have the rare knack of explaining things clearly. Then, however, I discovered that there are errors in the book and the examples in the book DO NOT match those on the CD. The book also isn't clear on what needs to be entered, precisely, in order for the examples to match those on the CD. I finally ended up comparing the two in order to make sense of things - this wasted a LOT of my time. Fortunately, my background is such that, so far, I've been able to figure things out.
When the problems started, I looked for an errata sheet - both on the publisher's site (Sam's Publishing) and on the site provided in the book ([...] Nothing on Sam's, at all, and the other site is nothing more than an advertisement for the book. Ugh!
This book had so much promise - had a better job been done with editing, it could have easily earned FIVE STARS.
At this point, I'm still able to figure things out and, compared to all of the other books I've tried, so far, on PHP and MySQL, this one still makes some sense. Oh well...

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have book, Dec 9 2003
This review is from: PHP and MySQL Web Development (Paperback)
This has got to be one of the best computer programming books out there, period.
It is chock full of very practical, straightforward information, techniques, and examples you can use today. And it's pretty easy to read, with simple and concise explanations of code examples.
There are some examples the just don't work as written, too (at least on my Windows/IIS machine). HOWEVER, I found these 'bad' examples relatively easy to fix - I know the MySQL and PHP sites pretty well now ;-)...and I learned even more than just the content within the book. Far more!
Anyone with an intermediate knowledge of computers/programming and wanting to learn PHP/MySQL *quickly* will definitely find this book a real keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best PHP & MySQL Integration Examples, Dec 9 2003
JT (Woonsocket, RI (USA)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP and MySQL Web Development (Paperback)
I highly recommended this book to anyone who wants to build web sites. I went through every chapter with ease. The examples are well documented and explained. For the developer who needs the details, I used RedHat9 Pro and did not have to update anything to run the examples.The Integrated Development Environment I used for the examples in this book incorporated a Linux Server with RedHat9, an internal NT4.0 network and a Windows NT4.0 workstation.I was able to develop custom dynamic web pages much easier with PHP than with the WYSIWYG editor. This book is structured for teaching the development dynamics of any size web site from the small business to the large corporate site that use or require many writers contributing to the sites development. The examples in this book also may be customized to fit almost any website needs and is a great template for future development. New to PHP and MySQL ?; Then the first few chapters will get you up to speed quickly.

ARRAY(0xa99c23a8)

PHP and MySQL Web Development
PHP and MySQL Web Development by Laura Thomson (Paperback - Feb. 12 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 4.58