5.0 out of 5 stars Worth itself 10x over
This book covers it all!! from simple tasks to advanced stuff like authentication with WebServices.... this has been THE best tool for me to advance myself career-wise into ASP.NET programming
I have recommended this book so many times i lost count long long ago
Published on June 24 2004 by MorningZ

3.0 out of 5 stars For Beginners its good
This book covers the ASP.NET forms and form components in quite a detail but misses some of the most important and advanced topics. You can get anything related to controls and web related programming but misses to give detailed idea regarding what asp.net is all abouta nd dusent clear the basics.
The biggest drawback i found was that every code in book was given...
Published on May 7 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth itself 10x over, June 24 2004
I have recommended this book so many times i lost count long long ago

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better ASP.NET books available, June 22 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: ASP.NET Unleashed (Paperback)
This books is probably the second book to read after Murach's ASP.NET. I would say it's at an intermediate level.
I found his writing to be very clear, the examples to be comprehensive if not voluminous. He presents examples you would use in a real application. You will learn the ins and outs of the server controls as well as creating apps for mobile devices.
If you know a little about the .NET framework, it's not hard at all to translate the code to C# and to use a code behind file. So I don't have a problem that he didn't use the VS IDE or include C# code examples in the book. The book would have been 2500 pages if he had.
For all those who were ranting and raving that Walther didn't use code behind files, I've been hearing that .NET 2.0 may de-emphasize the code behind file. So the author may be farther ahead of the game than most.
I liked the two case studies at the end of the book. They bring together a lot of the concepts that are discussed in the earlier pages.
The down side of this book is that there isn't much treatment of the VB.NET/C# language. Data access layers and Object Oriented design are glossed over, you will have to learn those concepts elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book for ASP.NET, June 11 2004
This review is from: ASP.NET Unleashed (Paperback)
This is a must have book for people who wants to start learning ASP.NET. This book talks about each and every detail of what is asp.net, how to use it,what are the different controls..etc, in a clear concise manner,backed with hundreds of working code examples.(there also an online site,where one can refer to the code written in the book..anytime)
The author did a great job!!.Before buying this book, I read reviews and was not sure if all the good reviews about this book were true. So, I went to a near by book store to see its contents. I read a couple of chapters and loved it so much that I bought it immediately.
For people who are wondering I am a C#/vb.net pgmer, does this book help me?..Yes it does. All the examples in the book are written in both VB.NET and C#.
Therez only one thing that I was disappointed a bit. Now a days almost everyone uses VS.NET for .NET development and even though one knows ASP.NET, Learning to use VS.NET is an altogether a different Nightmare.
For this there is another book, ASP.NET KICKSTART..by the same author.
I bought these two books and after that never had to buy any .NET book again!!!.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok beginner book, but few real world examples, May 27 2004
This review is from: ASP.NET Unleashed (Paperback)
This is a good beginner book in terms of learning the server controls, html controls, and user control side of the house. It is weak when it comes to explaining the seperation of the presentation layer, application layer, business layer, and the data layer. This is how you really want to develop an ASP.Net web application in the real world. In the real world, most of all of the brains of your application would be inside of class libaries that you build as components. You don't won't too much brains inside of an ASPX file. Pages 281 - 293 brushes over the surface on the issue. Also in my humble opinion, it would be overkill and time consuming to do ASP.Net without the Visual Studios.Net IDE. Unless you work with a large development team, I don't think you will have the patience to hand code the syntax for ALL functions and ALL subs in EVERY component and in EVERY page. Anyone who has work in a real life software development environment knows how important deadlines are to "management". I can imagine the looks we would get if we suggested to develop an ASP.Net application in notepad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book out there for ASP.NET, May 17 2004
Jeffrey T. Allen (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASP.NET Unleashed (Paperback)
I have taught an ASP.NET university course for a year and half. Having received review copies of 10-15 other ASP.NET books, I have never found any other book as good as this for learning ASP.NET.
I completely disagree with the review that states that Mr. Walther combined the code behind with the presentation layer because he is lazy (it is at least 10x more tedius to create the examples in Notepad). It was done to make the book easier to read. Who wants to have to tie two different figures to see what a program is doing especially when the programs get to be a couple of pages long?
I have not had a single program that took more than a couple of minutes to split into an aspx file and a vb file.

3.0 out of 5 stars For Beginners its good, May 7 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: ASP.NET Unleashed (Paperback)
The biggest drawback i found was that every code in book was given from point of view of VB.net and the book stays far away from .net IDE. So after reading this book if u try to work in .net IDE, it wud b very difficult and might leave u disappointed.
These are my views about htis book, someone else might have different views about it.
Those of u who were impressed by ASP Unleashed, this book is a lack luster.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE LITMUS TEST, March 18 2004
John P. F. Oconnor "jpfoc" (Katy, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASP.NET Unleashed (Paperback)
The acid test of any textbook has to be how far it takes you up the learning curve. After a certain point, any further learning may be asymptotic, but if you can at least get to that stage the book has done its job. All I can say is that the Second Edition of ASP.NET Unleashed did it for me.
First of all, I prefer C#. The fact that the book's examples were in Vb.Net presented no problem as all the examples are also in C# on the accompanying CD. All of these can be opened in WebMatrix with ease.
Every example in the book serves as a complete microproject, with very clear and precise concomitant explanations. One thing that became obvious since purchasing this book was that it became the number one reference for a number of tricky little problems encountered. The book abounds with examples that cover many I could point out, but space precludes. However, an article appeared this morning on the problem of filling in large forms and the associated difficulties of paging back and forth or long scrolling. The book illustrates a sophisticated solution using panel controls - very neat indeed.
The main criticism seems to be on 'codebehind'. One review that I read previously on the First Edition put me off. I gritted my teeth when I bought this edition and I am so glad that I did.
This book teaches you what you need to get to the part before the learning curve becomes asymptotic. Codebehind? You can take the examples and split the code into various .cs files ( in my case)and compile them. It's an excellent learning experience: once you have done a few it becomes standard practice. Codebehind isn't an issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars One in a million..., Feb. 10 2004
M. Young "-M" (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASP.NET Unleashed (Paperback)
I have a LOT of code books, from the Camel to some very obscure books on LISP, and I have to say this book is the most thorough guide I have ever seen in a single volume.
I wish other technical writers would follow this example. You can really go from knowing plain HTML to working up interactive web forms in the first few chapters and after that you get increasingly technical examples that introduce advanced concepts.
Even loathing the beast of M$ as i do, I finished the book in awe that they actually did something innovative for a change.
A TIP TO THE READER: Learn to code behind early on, the examples don't do it for obvious space-saving issues, but it is considered best practice.
If you don't like the book, the 1500 some-odd pages make it a great boat anchor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, Feb. 5 2004
Doug Lubey (Baton Rouge, La) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASP.NET Unleashed (Paperback)
One of the best books for ASP.NET programming. I have read many other books about asp.net for specific tasks. But this book is my main reference point for many topics. It takes you from the basics to the top. This book is great for people that are previous asp programmers.
I have had the book for over a year and I am still referencing it as we build our new intranet/internet site. Other refrences books I have included vb.net 2003, ADO, and one specific to XML.

2.0 out of 5 stars Leading by example -- bad example, Jan. 22 2004
This review is from: ASP.NET Unleashed (Paperback)
When I bought the second edition of ASP.NET Unleashed based on the reviews I had read, I felt assured that my purchase was a sound one. But upon receiving the book, I noticed that almost all the code samples have no code-behind files. The C# or VB.NET code is in the .aspx files along with the presentation layer code. What in the world?
One of the key best practices for writing ASP.NET applications is this: separate the presentation layer from the rest of the code for the project. ASP 3.0 applications, for example, suffered from having all the code mixed together. Then when graphics guys would add their work, or when the presentation layer needed major changes, the rest of the ASP code (business logic, etc.) was affected. Since ASP.NET offers a solution to this problem, why would this author provide all his code examples in .aspx files with non-presentation code contained therein?
I hope that beginning and intermediate developers who read this latest edition understand that the author was merely taking shortcuts. Whether Walther was using Notepad or not to edit his source, he still could have utilized code-behind files for the examples, thereby setting a much better example for more junior developers to follow.
My second but much less important complaint is that the code samples in the book are all in VB.NET. One must refer to the CD to see the C# versions of the .aspx files.
I recommend choosing a different ASP.NET book -- perhaps one published by APress or O'Reilly.

ARRAY(0xf345b28)

ASP.NET Unleashed
ASP.NET Unleashed by Stephen Walther (Paperback - July 18 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 8.25