5.0 out of 5 stars Good Reference, April 8 2013
This review is from: Advanced PHP Programming (Paperback)
For people familiar with the code or is exposed to allot of coding language to adapt to coding in PHP

5.0 out of 5 stars The best you can get in the advanced book field, March 24 2004
This review is from: Advanced PHP Programming (Paperback)
I have had the pleasure to read through this book, and I need to say that it is a must for those who take PHP seriously. This is not a usual tutorial type book, which will show an example for every keyword with long-winded explanations, but rather a compilation of best pratices and recommendations which you can build on.
The performance section for example (which is one of my favourites) just scratches the surface on how you can use APD to find bottlenecks in your code. George provides you with some common examples, but the real work is still yours, you won't get a step-by-step guide.
Another interesting point of this book is that it is not to read from start to the end. You will surely find sections you are already familiar with (Smarty being a prime example), or sections too advanced for you (ex. distributed environments). And George also takes the liberty to use PHP 5 OO code before introducing the new PHP 5 features, and using XML-RPC before the chapter on RPC calls.
I find it very valuable to have a lengthy introduction to good coding practices at the begining, since most of the code in the book builds heavily on having a consistent coding style. What I miss from the begining though is the introduction on where can people find details if they are stuck. There are interesting PHP.net services (lxr.php.net for example), which are quite valuable if you are trying to find something in the PHP source, to get an idea of how things work.
George having been heavily involved in the APC and APD development knows a lot about PHP and Zend internals. The last section provides you with a current and correct explanation on how you can extend PHP. None of the printed books on the market, or any online tutorial or manual can beat this section currently.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you know PHP, buy this book., March 10 2004
Terrence Chay "tychay" (San Francisco, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced PHP Programming (Paperback)
Caveat: I am only basing my review on the sample chapter on Performance Tuning, a draft copy of the chapter on Zend Engine Internals, and the table of contents. Also, I may be biased because I've met George and he's really hard not to like--I'll try harder next time.
Go read the reviews of other PHP authors' blogs by doing a Feedster search of this book, you'll find that they highly recommend this book, sometimes over their own books!
Looking at the chapter list, you can see the topics covered are not what you see in a typical PHP book. In fact, if you don't know PHP, this is definitely not the book to be learning out of. If you don't know how to program, this is not the book to be learning out of. But if you use PHP professionally and need to get that extra mile or scale your PHP to a large site, then this is definitely the book to be buying.
There are simply no books, articles, or web references that provide a bird's eye view of the Zend Engine Internals. That is, until this book. The car analogy in this chapter is very apt for the potential reader of this book on a whole. If all you do is use PHP to get you from "point A to B" you certainly don't need this book. But if you are a PHP professional who is responsible for a high performance website, then you need to know the content of this book cold.
The chapter on Performance Tuning has a lot of gems you can't find in any other PHP reference and is essential knowledge when you use PHP on large sites. According to Michael Radwin, George's APD (the tool referenced in the chapter), is used to performance tune parts of Yahoo. But George also gives a nod to competing projects mentioning their strengths and weaknesses. (You can see why it's hard not to like the guy, his pragmatism supersedes his ego in every page.)
This neatly complements any other PHP book on the shelf (including any other "professional" PHP book). And I'll definitely have to give an updated review after I've read the other chapters.
I'm sure it will pay for itself many times over. Believe me, I speak from experience to know that George speaks from experience (he was involved in a PHP-based company that drove a company I worked for out of business).
(And to all of you who have received advanced copies... Grr!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book - mandatory for any PHP Programmer, June 3 2009
R. Okada "ro_toronto" (TORONTO, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced PHP Programming (Paperback)
Very good book with lots of examples and good advice. Easy to read and learn from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book to get to the next level in PHP, Dec 27 2010
This review is from: Advanced PHP Programming (Paperback)
This book has a lot of useful tips and techniques for those who is serious about PHP development beyond basics. Great chapters on PHP scripts performance - both how to make scripts faster and how to troubleshoot them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely excellent, April 13 2005
Ugo (Montreal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced PHP Programming (Paperback)
Excellent book, not only for PHP, but also for any programming language, especially web-developpement languages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, May 29 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Advanced PHP Programming (Paperback)
Frankly, I think others have already said it so I'll keep this short. This book is a well-organized, easy to read compendium of best practices and advanced development techniques for the professional PHP programmer. Anyone who is developing medium to large scale web applications in PHP should read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Advanced best-practices EVERYONE should be aware of, May 25 2004
Joao Campos (Setubal, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced PHP Programming (Paperback)
This book introduces and elaborates on very good programming practices that not many self-made programmers are aware of. I've had contact with some 5 or 6 other programming languages at university and I've had my share of contact with good programming practices, but they were never presented to me so clear-cut and in a so motivating way as in this book. That, alongside with the fact that I just love PHP, makes this the absolutely most important book I would recommend to any fellow programmer.
This book doesn't teach PHP, it teaches efficiency, maintainability and some really good programming notions. The fact that it uses PHP as a vehicle is just the icing on the cake. The source code used is manytimes from real open source projects, a nice effort from the author.
Oh, and I would also like to mention the author's style of writing: he comes across as a very open-minded individual who routinely recognises his own errors and isn't in any way superior to the rest of us not-so-enlightned programmers.
On a final note, let me just say I wish my copy of this book would magically turn into a spell-checked hardcover edition :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Only best practices, May 18 2004
Yuri van der Meer (Amsterdam, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced PHP Programming (Paperback)
I started programming only a little over a year ago, with a JavaScript book I bought. Shortly after that I started with PHP.
My first PHP book was Glasshaus' "Dreamweaver MX: PHP Web Development" (had to start somewhere). I then bought Sams' "PHP & MySQL web development". That was a big step forward.
Meanwhile, I learned all about separating the different layers on the front end through the use of XHTML, CSS and W3C DOM-based JavaScript, and I wanted to learn to achieve the same kind of maintainability in server-side scripting. I wanted more advanced programming techniques and I wanted to learn about 'best practices' and OOP.
I then got the SitePoint PHP Anthology volumes. I liked its use of OOP for the various solutions, but they're just that. A lot of cook book style solutions. I learned some good things from looking at all the solutions, but I wanted a more direct approach teaching me how to program PHP on a professional level, rather than just learn how to implement professional solutions.
A few weeks ago I got the book Advanced PHP Programming. Finally I have a book that seems to really have what I was looking for. This teaches not only how OOP works in PHP, but it also shows in general how OO techniques apply to different situations (design patterns). A lot of other topics in the book are a little over my head right now, but it is good to know it's there for when I need it.
While reading the many examples in the previously mentioned PHP books, I kept asking myself "is this really the best way to handle this?". Not with this one. I somehow know that this book can teach me all I ever wanted to know about programming PHP on a professional level and not teach me any 'bad practices' along the way.
This is definately not the first book I should have bought on PHP, but it seems this may well be the last book I will be needing for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superbly organized and definitive instructional guide, May 6 2004
This review is from: Advanced PHP Programming (Paperback)
George Schlossnagle's Advanced PHP Programming is the superbly organized and definitive instructional guide to developing large-scale PHP applications. Comprehensive, expertly detailed, authoritative, "learner friendly", Advanced PHP Programming is an invaluable addition to any professional quality computer science reference collection.

Advanced PHP Programming
Advanced PHP Programming by George Schlossnagle (Paperback - Feb. 20 2004)
CDN$ 57.99 CDN$ 36.53