Format: Paperback|Change

on May 28, 2009
This book is written in a style that allows for ease of understanding. The contents are detailed enough to address most needs (not all) and provide code example throughout. Particularly appreciated is the detailed index which facilitates finding the appropriate section of the book when dealing with a specific issue.

I am ny PHP/MySQL expert but this reference book is what I needed to start learning about both these products. I expect to have to move to more detailed manuals if and when I encounter advanced issues, but this was expected from the get go.

Recommended for the beginner to intermediate programmer in this field.
on May 11, 2012
I am an absolute beginner in php and I've attempted to learn from other books what php is all about, but failed. All previous books make a vast amount of assumptions of what you know, and don't give you any hands on practice, but only php codes that make no sense to a beginner.

I have completed the first 2 chapters and I am amazed. If the rest of the book is as good, I give it 5-star+. Just from the first two chapters I know how to convert a static form to dynamic using php.

PS I only have some html and css knowledge, and I've taken a MySQL course.
on February 25, 2016
I got this book for a course i was taking on web technologies and it made the course material easier to understand. It is written in a way that eases the reader into the concepts and it provides plenty of examples to go along with it.

Before this book, i had no knowledge of PHP or MySQL at all. By the end of the book and the semester, i was able to make a fully-featured backend for a hypothetical user forum. The forum i created started off simple (posting messages, and seeing them), but then it gradually became more complicated as i went through the book. In the end, the forum was full of features (PM, Member signup/sign in/post/reply/profile/etc...) and had the security (SHA1 encryption for passwords, HTTPS, Sessions, etc...) to go along with it.

The included CD helped a ton also. It includes a PDF of this book, all the code examples from every chapter, and the programs to get you started on PHP and MySQL.

Overall, I highly recommend this book if you are interested in PHP or MySQL.
on October 19, 2010
This book does a great job of introducing novice dynamic website developers to the world of php and mysql. It starts at zero and brings you up to speed at a good pace, while covering all of the basics. It even discusses Ajax and Web 2.0, so that the reader understands how to get from php and mysql to the smooth web applications that we have come to expect.
on December 27, 2015
Ever since I bought this book, my love for php alone has grown because of how awesome this book is. Well detailed and able to find real world solutions within its pages. No doubt this is one of the best if not the best I've read on php and MySQL.
review image
on September 6, 2015
It's a good overview of PHP and MySQL. The code examples are rife with errors however. In a way debugging the code improved my skill with PHP. But in another way, it was very annoying.
on June 21, 2012
This book has everything you need to know about PHP and MySql. With this book and some work on your part, you are well on your way to being an well trained PHP/MySql programmer.
on January 10, 2013
I have a java background and this book is really changing my view about php. Explains topics in details over a real world project.
I recomend it.
on December 17, 2014
Best book on php and mysql period. If you are going to only own one PHP book (to learn or use as reference) this is the one.
on April 19, 2016
today morning i received my php and mysql book very very fast shipment and the is brand new thanks very much