5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Imagery!
Wonderful Imagery!
Rushdie creates a wonderful panorama and guides us through post-1947 nehru's india toward indira's new india as his characters move across the length and breadth of india, associating themselves with history, witnessing its events, and occasionally being a part of them. From the old Kashmir with the silent dal lake to the massacre at...
Published on May 15 2002 by Kalyan

2.0 out of 5 stars where's the beef?
I feel about Salman Rushdie's first big book roughly the same way I feel about Indian food. The food features a fascinating melange of spices, smells and textures, but I have no desire to consume it. Nor do I particularly comprehend the attraction of the cuisine of a dirt poor Third World country with more dietary taboos than you can shake a sitar at and, while heavy...
Published on Nov. 2 2000 by Orrin C. Judd

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A clever book, a bit too clever!, Aug. 5 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Hardcover)
The book is a allegorical polemic, done in great style. It has flashes of brilliance and very clever passages. But ultimately, it fails to transcend the contortions of its plot to great, universal literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific journey, Jan. 4 2013
I read this over an extended period of time and enjoyed every word and tale written. Rushdie's descriptions are brilliant and his stories are very funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, July 29 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Hardcover)
There is little else to say. Rushdie provides a mystical portrait of independence. Make sure to read a book covering the history of India to gain a deeper understanding of this ever evolving land.

5.0 out of 5 stars Midnight's children, July 13 2001
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
Amazing book. I would recommend it to anyone travelling to India or visiting it. It provides a rich literary experience and adds a touch of "masala" to an ingenious and rare story.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read!, Jan. 9 2002
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
I could go on for a long time about this book. I have read a lot of books but this one is probaly the best post war book, and for sure on of the best books ever written.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the very best, Aug. 31 1999
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
This incredible book was certainly one of the best books I have ever read. It was my first book by Rushdie. I definitly plan on reading all of his other books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply one of the finest novels of the 20th century., Aug. 15 1999
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
Brims with invention on every page. Recommended to anyone interested in fiction. Buy it in hardcover it is a novel you will want to re-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible, Aug. 8 1997
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
Excellent storytelling - with a mixture ofopinions, philosophy and history that is never boring, blended with endless surprises.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you read one book, June 5 1998
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
I was inspired to complete only one book in college. Everything else was dead writing. This was FANTASTIC!

3.0 out of 5 stars Temper that over-praise, April 9 2002
Joseph K (Milwaukee, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Midnight's Children (Paperback)
This is a good book. I can confess I had nothing else to read at the time I tried to make it through the whole of this laborious text, but I think I would have made the attempt otherwise. Rushdie has craft, he has originality, and he has character-development. In other words, his technical skills are without significant flaw.
But, in light of all the positive reviews that have been given to this book, I find myself compelled to focus on it's negatives. It lacks focus. I think this is always a flaw with character-driven novels, a carefully structured plot really drives an intellectual spike through the whole story, and I sincerely hope this post-war trend towards character-driven literature is but a fad (put in a word to God for me to straighten this out). Furthermore, the characters are rich and well-crafted, but I'm very glad that they're on the page and not in my living room. I don't really like them nor would I ever want to know any them. And this sort of leads to this certain hopelessness over the whole of the book. Because there is neither commendable or happy character in the book it speaks of Rushdie's view on people, and on life. I've no one to look up to in the book (I confess I do have such people in life). One could say Rushdie is merely describing what he sees as going on in India through this time of post-Independence, but I would respond that this is another weakness of the novel. Nothing of it engages the world in which it is set, in order to put some sort of example (an idol one might say) to look up to as a goal of goodness, an individual ideal with which I can say to myself, "that is what I shall become. That is what is missing in my life!"
I've said too much, when I could've simply put it that I think that book is devoid of philosophy. In other words, Rushdie has nothing to think about life or India. He just describes it.
If you want to admire good craft and good stories, buy it. If you want fodder for thought, don't. That about sums it up.

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 | Next ›

Midnight's Children: A Novel
Midnight's Children: A Novel by Salman Rushdie (Paperback - June 10 1997)
CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 15.88