5.0 out of 5 stars A life changer
Published on Feb. 15 2010 by Isabel Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging Take on ADHD
3.5 Stars - An interesting, engaging, and well-written book.

Published on July 18 2012 by B. Keith

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changer, Feb. 15 2010
This review is from: Scattered Minds: The Origins and Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder (Paperback)
This book changed my life as, after 13 years of struggling with my son over behaviours that I did not understand but wished to support, an explanation for the experiences we had had unfolded on these pages. Gabor Mate writes a research-based piece that is much more comprehensive and human than any other source I have read on the subject of ADHD. I have gone on to read all of the other books that Gabor Mate has written, and although they seem to be on different topics, he has a magical way of intertwining his subject matters, bringing a human face to sometimes seemingly hopeless and tragic situations and his heart and soul comes through his writing. I have also seen him speak live - he is truly one of our great Canadians who is contributing to helping us understand and build a healthier society.

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging Take on ADHD, July 18 2012
B. Keith (Kingston, Ontario) - See all my reviews
3.5 Stars - An interesting, engaging, and well-written book.

However, readers should keep in mind that there is substantial speculation (the role of early relationships in the development of ADHD) and basing theory on a lot of self-referencing (always a bit dicey scientifically to extrapolate conclusions to others), and limited clear guidance for treatment and self-management.

Look elsewhere for more concrete science-based information and for treatment guidelines, such as Dr. Edward Hallowell or Dr. Russel Barkley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, scientific, wholistic approach, Sept. 28 2010
W. Cheung "Wil" (Vancouver, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
Contrary to other reviewer's claims that his theories is not unscientifically supported, I would say that there is increasing support for Mate's take on brain development, due to the fact that his book leans heavily on the research of John Bowlby. John Bowlby's ground breaking research into how the mother-infant connection affects the neurological and emotional growth was so ahead of its time, (he published it in the early 20th century) that it is only now that the research is coming in.

Mate's book is compassionate, and humanistic and does not look for easy solutions, because frankly, there aren't any. While he describes ADD as a neurological impairment, he suggest that the relational and physical environment one continues to grow up in as a child, and live in as an adult, can encourage regrowth and rewiring. He suggest medications are not a first line of defense but must be approached within a strong healing relationships.

I highly recommend this book for psychologists, physicians, teachers and parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful ideas with a deep understanding of the subject, Jan. 21 2013
This author has done a thorough job of describing Attention Deficit Disorder. I don't agree with all his conclusions but think his perspective on this subject is more than worth considering. He has a deep understanding of the subject and clearly wants to help both the people who live with ADHD and the people who love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars ADHD is Often Reversible, March 21 2014
Gabor Mate has it exactly right The opposite of scattered is attached. The opposite of asleep is awake.

This book reminds us that our love, kindness, compassion, reliability and dependability are solutions of utmost importance to restoring happiness and vitality to children.

There is no need to blame anyone for causes of conditions we may not yet fully understand. (Very sadly, in 50's and 60's, 'faulty mothering' was supposed to be the prime cause of schizophrenia.)

Nate simply advises solutions.

Eleanor Cowan, author of A History of a Pedophile's Wife: Memoir of a Canadian Teacher and Writer

4.0 out of 5 stars Scattered Minds, March 18 2014
A very interesting and helpful read! It arrived promptly and in good condition. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to know more about living with ADD

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend., June 30 2014
This book helped me so much with my recent diagnosis of adult ADHD. It was comforting to know I am not alone. Highly recommend this book to anyone who has or knows someone with ADHD. Gabor Mate is an incredible person and his knowledge has helped change my life in so many positive ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read for Every Parent, May 24 2012
I wish I had read this book prior to having children, as I would have done so much differently. That said, it offers strategies that work, and mostly, hope! I'm already seeing differences in my home with my "scattered" child. This book has the right balance of personal stories, science, psychology and strategies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seeing the whole, March 21 2013
I appreciated the fact that the content was addressing to both children and adult of attention deficient. The author s personal experience helped identify the commonality of the disorder giving the quirkiness of ADD less of a hold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, Jan. 28 2013
I think this is one of the most revealing and eye opening book that I have read about ADD. My children have ADD and Bipolar and I can relate to so much that Dr. Mate' has brought out in his book. More people need to read this to understand the disease and what is behind it and how it can be managed.

Scattered Minds: The Origins and Healing of Attention Deficit Disorder