5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful, well-written novel!
Published on July 9 2000 by Linda Gaines

3.0 out of 5 stars Give it a Chance for its Cottage Country Vignettes
Published 2 months ago by David A. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Give it a Chance for its Cottage Country Vignettes, Sept. 24 2014
This review is from: Summer Gone (Paperback)
Yes, this book requires the reader to concentrate but at the end of the day, I enjoyed the read. I've just finished Summer Gone, mostly reading it in the wee hours of the morning (thanks to jet lag) when the house was still and I was able to focus my attention as the book demands. Mcfarlane's cottage country descriptions are the highlight. Anybody who has spent time "up north" will immediately relate. I will say make the following criticisms though:

1) Total lack of character development despite some plot lines spanning many years
2) Hard to like many of the characters. Bay, the main protagonist, isn't a guy I'd gravitate towards in real life
3) The fascination with smoking doesn't fit, despite the era. That the Reverend Tobias is a chain smoking, nature loving camp director makes no sense at all.
4) Way too much focus on death. There are other impactful events in people's lives. No need to "go all the way" so much.
5) The character Rig serves no purpose in the story, although I enjoyed that section of the book.
6) The reason (trying to avoid being the spoiler here) for Bay's divorce isn't developed well at all.

I finished this book in about three days so it wasn't awful but I guess I prefer my characters to be likeable. You aren't going to find them here.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful, well-written novel!, July 9 2000
This review is from: Summer Gone (Hardcover)
It was a pleasure to read Mr. Macfarlane's story of a man's thoughts and memories of childhood though adulthood. I liked the way all the thoughts blended together across the years as thoughts do in our minds as we reminisce. The forced Sunday School experiences recalled my childhood times for me. I've stayed a little closer to religious practice than Bay in the novel but I felt Bay was still a man of faith. Many descriptions in the novel are extremely hope-filled. The characters are all well-drawn and believable. It is just wonderful to read a novel of this caliber, so much writing today is not even worth reading. Summergone, mentioned only once in a list of other flowers, is a wildflower found in Canada. The author doesn't try to imply any heavy-handed symbolism but leaves any connections to be made by the reader. I really liked the economy of Macfarlane's prose in a book that any sensitive reader should love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer Gone but Not Forgotten, July 26 2001
This review is from: Summer Gone (Hardcover)
One of the more interesting twists of our consciousness is how we tend to remember those things for which we have lost and, how we often forget what we have. Bay Newling, one of the central characters in David MacFarlanes' excellent book, Summer Gone, struggles with just that conundrum during his trips to and memories of, Ontario's cottage country. His story, that of his son's and his parents all intertwine amongst the pine needles, rocks, summer storms, clear waters and in particular, one special canoe trip. A moving book, Summer Gone reveals the many intricate faces of the warm months often hidden behind the common veneer of carefree days around the lake. To my American readers, this book will give you a rare glimpse of a summer lifestyle Canadian's hold sacred.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, July 6 2007
MD (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer Gone (Paperback)
This story truly did capture Ontario's cottage country and the emotions that surround summer.

However, it was a bit of a tough read - lots of thoughts within thoughts, and run-on sentences. Add to that a lot of jumping around between different time periods, and varioud narrators, and it made it a slow, challenging read.

But yet, I was still enthralled by the story and the details...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, Nov. 11 2001
This review is from: Summer Gone: A Novel (Paperback)
This is the second book I have read by Macfarlane. Although I find his first, Danger Tree, a better and more powerful book, Summer Gone is still an excellent read. While it takes awhile to move through the time and generation jumping that he does, one eventually recognizes and relishes the vehicle and how it empowers this story of family and loss. I await whatever MacFarlane writes next!

1.0 out of 5 stars Three strikes, your out!, Aug. 25 2000
This review is from: Summer Gone (Hardcover)
Finaly, after two previous attempts to "get into" this book, on the third I threw it out. Tough to make sense of it as the story jumps all over - even within one page! What's the plot - is there one? Very confusing writing! I thought this to be the author's first novel and felt he could use some more schooling in the English language and phrases. Oh well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer Gone, June 27 2000
This review is from: Summer Gone (Hardcover)
I picked this because the cover intrigued me! (I don't usually do that!) I was captivated throughout the entire novel. The author's style was unique and refreshing. I could not wait for the surprising conclusion, but wished for more once I reached it!

4.0 out of 5 stars great novel, Dec 14 2000
This review is from: Summer Gone (Hardcover)
I thought the book was hard to follow at first, but it was a great novel. I like the kind of novels that you dont get at first , then when the novel comes to an end, it all comes into place and ends perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll read this book more than once, Oct. 12 2001
Ricky E. Ulrich (Marysville, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Summer Gone: A Novel (Paperback)
David Macfarlane's prose brought to mind Garrison Keillor. There are beautifully crafted passages to be found here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, April 3 2005
This review is from: Summer Gone (Paperback)
I am a very avid reader and I usually love most books I read, this one was in my opinion, just plain horrible.
The main character of this story, Bay is sort of the narrator. I thought the writer would sometimes switch between Bay being the narrator and himself because it would get extremely confusing at points. There was nothing beautiful in this novel in my opinin as many comments here say. The characters are very dull and I never felt any sympathy for them because I did not feel that I knew much about any of the characters.
The story also switches from one character to the other and from the past to the present very abruptly so many times I was left wondering if it was still talking about the same character.
This book created massive confusion and anger within me. Many times I got so frustrated with the stupid little details that rambled on for 5 pages sometimes that I got frustrated and threw the book down.
But what really infuriated me was the end, it seems as if David Macfarlane realized how much he had been rambling and could ramble no more so he ended the book ever so abrutly in like one chapter. I had to read this chapter several times to actually understand what he was talking about.
This book turned me off reading for a month...it was just horrible. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Summer Gone
Summer Gone by David Macfarlane (Paperback - July 25 2000)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16