5.0 out of 5 stars A life-saver
Published on Jan. 9 2010 by Diana Ralph

3.0 out of 5 stars a very good contribution
Dr. Gabor makes a very convincing case for the mindbody connection between the psyche and physical wellness. There is so much research to be done and anecdotal accounts support the theory but are only accepted reluctantly by many medical people. I was surprised to note that Dr. Gabor did not make any references to Dr. John E. Sarno who has published five books on the...
Published 15 months ago by Edward C. Labossiere

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-saver, Jan. 9 2010
Diana Ralph (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress (Paperback)
When I collapsed from burnout and a range of auto-immune disorders, Mate's book was the one resource that compassionately explained the emotional roots of these and many other illnesses, including cancer and MS, and offered practical directions for change. This one book gave me the permission to finally listen to my body and choose a less stressful life. I am now both healthier and far more relaxed than ever before.

Mate, a physician and former medical editor of the Globe and Mail, writes eloquently from his own experience and from his intensive work with patients. He offers a wholistic perspective, a refreshing alternative to the medical model and genetics. Throughout, his compassion, wisdom and self-critical humor shine through.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, May 4 2004
By A Customer
I hope anyone who wants to explore how the mind can adversely effect the body will find time to read this book. I would have wished for more discussion and illumination on the subject of healing - however, what there is, is good. Many times I found myself pausing and reflecting on new and different ways of seeing and approaching life.
There are many salient points worth re-reading. The authour discusses the physiology of stress, and explores psychological areas, such as assigning "blame." Often the reader is asked to consider the child that proceeds the adult. When all is considered: a thought provoking, disturbing, and illuminating work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of information and insight, Jan. 5 2004
By A Customer
Gabor Mate took a difficult subject (PNI, emotions, and the "cause" of illness) and made it understandable, readable, and very insightful. Whether you are just at the start of your journey in this field or if , like me, you have a library full of Myss, Hay, Chopra, and Brennan, you will find wonderful stories that you won't be able to forget and an adundant amount of research that will help you as you heal your life. I highly recommend it and am buying two copies to lend out, there is no way I will let go of my copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent insight, Feb. 28 2010
Wonderfully written and insightful, Dr. Gabor Mate is both humble and knowledgeable. I work as a naturopathic doctor and professor, and regularly recommend this book to the patients and students that I work with. It helps to show how our unconscious belief systems are reflected in our bodies and is an excellent explanation of the mind-body connection. Dr. Mate is a gifted author.

4.0 out of 5 stars An insightful, useful book, March 23 2010
L. Marin (Santa Cruz, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I first heard of this book because the author was interviewed on Democracy Now. I especially liked the humility of the author, an MD who referred to his own unconsciousness about the complex and multidimensional relationship between his body and his mind. I am enjoying the much enhanced experience of actually reading the book at a slow pace, not because it is dense or difficult, but because I find myself liking to reflect on each chapter before I charge on. I find that in the reflection process between chapters, I discover many curious ways that the personal stories and observations about his patients apply to me or to people that I know. This book has clarified and codified in useful ways my own observations about the relationships between the illnesses that I and others have and the abiding life assumptions that attend to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent forward Thinking, June 3 2010
Merilyne Brown "M. Brown" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I am still in the midst of reading the book, but thoughly agree with what the good doctor has to say. Too bad the medical profession as a whole is so slow to learn from their collegues. I am in an ongoing tussle right now with my own doctor (who incidentally teaches at the local med school) that things that have happened to me in the past can effect me now in a physical way. I am looking forward to reading the seven "A's" and how I can improve my life. In the end I think that is what it is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mate is a true canadian treasure, Sept. 1 2013
This is an eye opening book about the world that we live in and the impact on our physical being.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, July 22 2013
For anyone suffering from a serious illness and wonders why, this book is an eye opener that helps explain the mind body connection and personality traits that set us up for that illness. This book played a pivotal role in my cancer reversal and has changed my life for the better. I strongly recommend the book, Dr Mate is a genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating book, Feb. 12 2012
I am greatly interested in mind and body connection and I love reading new books on this subject.
This book was very interesting also because it was written by an actual MD and a specialist in palliative care, and was based on real patients srories, unlike other books that are written by spiritual teachers with no medical background.
I hope in the future all doctors will considre mind/body connection when treating patients, and not just the physical body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self Help Reading, March 21 2009
I havn't read it but my son is reading it. His Doctor had recomended it to him, and he can't stop raving about it. He is going through a lot of health issues at the present time and I think by reading this book he is discovering that he's not alone in his suffering, and there are a lot of people out there that are a lot worse off than he is. When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress O. Strauman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress
When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress by Gabor Mate M.D. (Paperback - Feb. 3 2004)
CDN$ 22.95 CDN$ 16.75