summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on May 4, 2004
I hope anyone who wants to explore how the mind can adversely effect the body will find time to read this book. I would have wished for more discussion and illumination on the subject of healing - however, what there is, is good. Many times I found myself pausing and reflecting on new and different ways of seeing and approaching life.
There are many salient points worth re-reading. The authour discusses the physiology of stress, and explores psychological areas, such as assigning "blame." Often the reader is asked to consider the child that proceeds the adult. When all is considered: a thought provoking, disturbing, and illuminating work.
on March 23, 2010
I first heard of this book because the author was interviewed on Democracy Now. I especially liked the humility of the author, an MD who referred to his own unconsciousness about the complex and multidimensional relationship between his body and his mind. I am enjoying the much enhanced experience of actually reading the book at a slow pace, not because it is dense or difficult, but because I find myself liking to reflect on each chapter before I charge on. I find that in the reflection process between chapters, I discover many curious ways that the personal stories and observations about his patients apply to me or to people that I know. This book has clarified and codified in useful ways my own observations about the relationships between the illnesses that I and others have and the abiding life assumptions that attend to them.
on September 3, 2015
This is an important and very readable book. The greatest lies of the medical profession are: (i) to cover up the fact that its alleged remedies for the killer diseases of heart failure and cancer are ineffective at best, (ii) to cover up that the profession itself is the third leading cause of death in North America (medical error), and (iii) to maintain that the main public health factor is environmental and consumer habits (forced or voluntary) rather than the true factor of stress from instability in the dominance hierarchy of society. This book makes a valiant and highly educational effort to talk sense about actual causes of ill-health, in terms of the roots of chronic stress, largely inherited in childhood. It covers a wide range of concepts, illustrated with many excellent case descriptions and anecdotes.
on June 22, 2016
not what I thought it would be, but a good read!
on November 20, 2014
Makes sense.
on June 23, 2016
Good Book
on January 7, 2012
I have yet to be disappointed with amazon. Lots of selection of books with choices of new and used as well as fast delivery of books to my home.and the prices are reasonable. It would seem unlikely that you would get a better deal or service elsewhere